• 208-215

Votes: 71 43.8%

Votes: 46 28.4%

Votes: 17 10.5%

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 300+

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
Everyone jumped off a cliff with VGF2, and they were all wrong.

Prior to VDH going on sale, RIV/VGF/AUL will get a price increase. VDH will launch at that same price, which I expect will be around $215. It will launch with incentives for existing owners.

VGC sold-out pricing is irrelevant because sold-out pricing has never affected actively selling resorts.

Higher than Grand Cal? I would be shocked. "Better" resorts (as defined by Disney) have higher points charts than "worse" resorts.
Grand Cal better? Stayed their for 5 night two weeks ago and did last 2 nights (Fri Sat) at Disneyland Hotel. Grand Cal is approaching Boulder Ridge level of "needs renovations asap." There is nothing premium about the rooms. The park entry into DCA is great, but lobby is ridiculously crowded at all hours of the day and the rooms and overall vibe are not (imho) premium and not superior to the Disneyland Hotel. We stayed in a room that was opposite Goofy"s Sky School and it was LOUD during operating it's hours like weirdly loud, hopefully they laminate the glass doors at refurb or find a way to mitigate the yelps and screams. Cast is amazing their though, I didn't have too much interaction with DH CM so hard to say it better or worse. Food and wine obviously superior but other than that was kind of a meh.

Last edited:
Everyone jumped off a cliff with VGF2, and they were all wrong.

Prior to VDH going on sale, RIV/VGF/AUL will get a price increase. VDH will launch at that same price, which I expect will be around $215. It will launch with incentives for existing owners.

VGC sold-out pricing is irrelevant because sold-out pricing has never affected actively selling resorts.

Higher than Grand Cal? I would be shocked. "Better" resorts (as defined by Disney) have higher points charts than "worse" resorts.
Grand Cal better? Stayed their for 5 night two weeks ago and did last 2 nights (Fri Sat) at Disneyland Hotel. Grand Cal is approaching Boulder Ridge level of "needs refurb asap." There is nothing premium about the rooms. The park entry into DCA is amazing....there any ZERO early entry Disney guest only ques at other entrances, additionally lobby is ridiculously crowded and loud throughout the day and the rooms....the overall vibe.... are not (imho) premium. We stayed in a room that was opposite Goofy's Sky School and it was an ongoing joke how LOUD it was during operating hours. Hopefully they can laminate the glass doors/windowns at refurb or find a better way to mitigate the yelps and screams. Cast is AMAZING there though, I didn't have too much interaction with DH CM so hard to tell that difference. Arts and crafts style for me would be dwarfed by a mid century modern OG Disney theme. YMMV :)

Last edited:
Personally, I am all for getting rid of all types of annual and local passes at all the parks. But that is just me.
I have had WDW AP’s since 1998, right before I bought DVC. I typically go 2 or 3 times a year. Having to buy regular tickets each time would make me consider selling my DVC. A 7 day is almost as much as a Sorcerer Pass. Would lose that “hey let’s go on a quick trip” like we did for the July Moonlight Magic.

Grand Cal better? Stayed their for 5 night two weeks ago and did last 2 nights (Fri Sat) at Disneyland Hotel. Grand Cal is approaching Boulder Ridge level of "needs refurb asap." There is nothing premium about the rooms. The park entry into DCA is amazing....there any ZERO early entry Disney guest only ques at other entrances, additionally lobby is ridiculously crowded and loud throughout the day and the rooms....the overall vibe.... are not (imho) premium. We stayed in a room that was opposite Goofy's Sky School and it was an ongoing joke how LOUD it was during operating hours. Hopefully they can laminate the glass doors/windowns at refurb or find a better way to mitigate the yelps and screams. Cast is AMAZING there though, I didn't have too much interaction with DH CM so hard to tell that difference. Arts and crafts style for me would be dwarfed by a mid century modern OG Disney theme. YMMV :)
We were also less than impressed with our stay at VGC over the summer, but I'm not sure that Disney is willing to put out a points chart that implies that the Grand Californian isn't the flagship resort at Disneyland.

Awesome thread! Sorry I missed it. I vote pricing to be in-line with other active resorts with modest VGF-like incentives. I can go either way with the points chart but hope to see it on par or higher than VGC since I'm a VGC owner. I rationalize that with Riviera and BCV. BCV is superior but much older, just like VGC is superior but much older IMO. WRT to distance, that shlep from VDH is a good 10-15 minutes. Not terrible since it's through DTD and I'd much rather walk through DTD than Harbor. I really hope more restaurants will be announced at VDH. If they don't, I fear ADRs at GCH and other spots will be even harder to book at 60 days. Din Tai Fung and Portos will be doing some gang buster business. WRT to recession fears, someone else already mentioned it but I don't think it will hamper VDH sales. VGC and BLT started selling at the beginning of the Great Recession and they did just fine. I'm not a local, we live in Hawaii and visited DLR 3 times using our Believe Keys but that will come to a screeching halt since we decided not to renew. It's back to once every year or every other year for us, alternating between Aulani, DLR and WDW. Heck, Tokyo Disney might even be closer for us than WDW. Wish they would build a DVC over there. I will NOT be buying VDH since VGC theming and location feels more like home to us. But I'm still excited for VDH and hope to book there at 7 months! If not, I may consider buying VDH resale a few years down the road since I would use VDH only at VDH anyways. And is it just me that really hates the name VDH? I just don't like my home resort sounding like a venereal disease....

Still just thinking about getting a small contract here so no incentives. Hoping that the pricing will be in my favor

and it needs it, just awful rooms
I’m not a huge fan of the style (I’m more of a bright color, MCM fan) but I think awful rooms is perhaps a bit much-now, we have only been in the two bedrooms but thought they were pretty fab.

We were also less than impressed with our stay at VGC over the summer, but I'm not sure that Disney is willing to put out a points chart that implies that the Grand Californian isn't the flagship resort at Disneyland.

They don't have to do anything. The market shows that VGC is what people want.
If you want a "Flagship Resort", don't buy in to DVC. VGC will always be in huge demand. The location alone makes it the best resort in all of Disney Parks. To complain that the rooms are 'drab' means you don't really get why Disney even started DVC.

They don't have to do anything. The market shows that VGC is what people want.
If you want a "Flagship Resort", don't buy in to DVC. VGC will always be in huge demand. The location alone makes it the best resort in all of Disney Parks. To complain that the rooms are 'drab' means you don't really get why Disney even started DVC.

I understand that the time between refurbishments is longer for DVC resorts. It wasn't just the "drab" rooms. The carpet was wet when we arrived and I spent over an hour on the phone trying to talk to someone about it. The pool area was so over-crowded that it was impossible to get a seat. We had a good meal at the Craftsman Grill, but the Hearthstone Lodge was mediocre and the service was slow. And while the location was excellent, the music coming for the Grad Nite Reunion party in DCA was pretty loud. Maybe our expectation were too high, but compared to other DVC stays, we were disappointed.

But my main point was that if VGC is considered the best resort in all of Disney Parks, then I would expect the point chart at VDH to be lower than VGC's.

Maybe our expectation were too high, but compared to other DVC stays, we were disappointed.

it's ok to have high expectations; VGC doesn't meet expectations at any level. the pool, as you have noted, is not only permanently overcrowded, it's outdated; no splash pad, no zero entry for small children. the rooms are so out of date, a decent Motel 6 exceeds on every level. proximity to parks is actually the only thing VGC has going for it as of 2022.

I’m cynical and optimistic Lol.

I don’t think they want to totally remove the AP program but will definitely continue playing with knobs and levers where attendance, spending and experience are concerned. The trajectory of changes makes one thing clear. They are cutting the least expensive ways to get the best of US Disney Parks while simultaneously trying to protect the experience for higher than average daily per capita spenders.

DVC may be a loyal bunch but I’m not confident some won’t be collateral damage of this tweaking. It’ll keep getting harder to have a better than average experience while paying less than average. This is the gap I think they’re trying to narrow. The motive isn’t for less than avg spenders to get a lesser experience, it’s more about unclogging arteries where others are willing to spend more.

it's ok to have high expectations; VGC doesn't meet expectations at any level. the pool, as you have noted, is not only permanently overcrowded, it's outdated; no splash pad, no zero entry for small children. the rooms are so out of date, a decent Motel 6 exceeds on every level. proximity to parks is actually the only thing VGC has going for it as of 2022.
The pool at DLH is also overcrowded and they're about to get a stonking new tower. I recognise that GC isn't to everyone's taste (nor should it be) but the criticisms levelled in this post apply to every. single. DVC. property. They all age, they get beat up, and after 14 years completely refurbished. The current VGC rooms are at the end of their life cycle and by 2024 will be new once again. Then it can compete once more with those trendy Motel 6 properties.

The pool at DLH is also overcrowded and they're about to get a stonking new tower. I recognise that GC isn't to everyone's taste (nor should it be) but the criticisms levelled in this post apply to every. single. DVC. property. They all age, they get beat up, and after 14 years completely refurbished. The current VGC rooms are at the end of their life cycle and by 2024 will be new once again. Then it can compete once more with those trendy Motel 6 properties.
But... will they leave the light on for you???? :)

and it needs it, just awful rooms
I stayed in 3 different rooms last month, didn’t find it “awful”. Original reservation was 4 nights in a 1 bedroom, I added on a studio to each end to extend. Definitely need to get rid of the carpet and replace with vinyl.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter