DLP - First Visit - Some good and some not so good impressions

@Baduist I really wonder if those people would get the magic if they went to WDW. I think for the majority of the population a visit to a Disney park is like going to any other theme park. They want a day out with fun for the family and roller coasters. I don't think they expect magic.

I grew up going to DL in California and as a result, I have wonderful childhood memories of the magic in action. Seeing Pirates and Disney characters right before my eyes. Experiencing Space adventures; A “real” haunted mansion. Those trips added fuel to my imagination and ensured that the park would always be a special place. For me, the magic as an adult is triggered through nostalgia of these childhood memories.

I’ve always wondered how adults that never experienced this as a child would see the magic for themselves. It’s easier to see the technology in use and the people behind the curtain as an adult. I think my nostalgic side lets me ignore the realities of the place that my experience, knowledge and my own eyes show me. I’m able to think back to that time when I would have still believed the magic at face value.

I think the definition of Magic to DisneyParks fans is different and unique for each of us. Many WDW fans don’t experience it at DLR or the other resorts and many DLR fans feel something similar about WDW. Again, I think it is fueled by nostalgia and familiarity. We get used to our home park. The layout, the amenities, and the problems. Visiting other Disney Parks throws us off some. We notice smaller details than the average guest because we know our home parks so well. This can interfere with that nostalgia which we interpret as a loss of the “Magic”.

For me, my favorite attractions at DL, were given a fresh take at DLP. That was the draw for me and why the magic was present on that trip. I loved Frontierland and the way all the attractions are tied together, especially Phantom Manor. POTC’s different order of things was such a cool reimagining. Hands down the best Space Mtn of the park’s I’ve been to. The castle is beautiful and one of a kind. In the end, I loved DLP and look forward to returning there someday.
Was it perfect? No.
Was it fun? Yes.
Was there magic? Absolutely!

I’ve always wondered how adults that never experienced this as a child would see the magic for themselves. It’s easier to see the technology in use and the people behind the curtain as an adult. I think my nostalgic side lets me ignore the realities of the place that my experience, knowledge and my own eyes show me. I’m able to think back to that time when I would have still believed the magic at face value.

I’m 39. I went to Disneyland CA for the first time 4 years ago - I went expecting it would be a treat for my kids. I was bitten by the magic. I’ve now been to Disneyland 3 times, WDW once (for 10 days) and we’re going to DLP this summer. I think the magic is ageless.

I’m 39. I went to Disneyland CA for the first time 4 years ago - I went expecting it would be a treat for my kids. I was bitten by the magic. I’ve now been to Disneyland 3 times, WDW once (for 10 days) and we’re going to DLP this summer. I think the magic is ageless.

I wonder if there are a lot of people who caught the “Disney bug” at DLP (being their first Disney park)...

I wonder if there are a lot of people who caught the “Disney bug” at DLP (being their first Disney park)...

Yes there are. Over the years I have seen lots of trip reports from European Disney people, AP holders and regular visitors to Disneyland Paris who decide to visit either Disneyland California or Walt Disney World.

While many have a positive experience, I have seen quite a few negative experiences. Its seems to be like Americans going to Disneyland Paris, they dont like the same but different aspect.

People get used to THEIR park, the park that they are most familiar with, and when the visit a different park, the new park gets judged by what they are used to in their home park.

Stereotyping much? I've certainly encountered no shortage of rude Americans, or Americans who smoke.

but when americans are told not to smoke, for the most part they follow the rules.
the french?...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

example.....
me: upon entering a restaurant in paris, i ask for the no smoking section.
maitre d': *laughs*
me: but i thought you have a no smoking section
him: *laughs*
me: *stare at him expectantly*
him: 'yes, we do have a no smoking section, but everyone there is smoking' (absolutely no apology in his tone)
me: "so you don't have any tables with no smoke?"

pretty representative of the french experience...

Well I’d argue that people who’s first encounter with Disney parks is DLP don’t become Disney fans.

Where I live, DLP is the closet option. WDW is considered a once-in-lifetime thing as trips to the US with the whole family are rare.

And I’ve heard countless time about people skipping WDW because “I’ve been to Eurodosney and I don’t get what the big deal is”

DLP just doesn’t have that “magic”, and doesn’t give you an idea of what the Disney experience is in terms of excellence.

Personally I’m still going back, I’m a Disney fan and as I said it’s closer than the US. But I think we are the minority, and Sisney is missing out on a big mainstream audience of would-be-fans.

this is why we're going to DLP...
it's only a 5 hour flight, rather than a 14 hour non-stop flight to get to orlando if we're lucky, or the 25 hour two flight trip if we're not)...
we'll go back to WDW in 2 years, but this year it's DLP....
we haven't been there in 19 years, so hopefully it's improved since then..
but we know we're going to france..
we trying to set our expectations low (don't flame me)..
sadly, we're doing the trip out of order, doing a disney cruise first then DLP...
should have done it the other way around, since DCL is the gold standard for disney service and experience...
but it will be ok...
we know the french are pushy line jumpers....we're expecting it..
we know the french are attached by IV to their cigarettes...we're expecting it..
we're going to try to take a totally laid back approach...
hopefully it will work...
if we enjoy this trip, we'll be back as it is so very very close to us (5 hours is a hop, skip and jump compared to getting to the USA)..
and if we don't, we'll at least have had an interesting cultural experience, with some mouse thrown in ...

Last edited:
this is why we're going to DLP...
it's only a 5 hour flight, rather than a 14 hour non-stop flight to get to orlando if we're lucky, or the 25 hour two flight trip if we're not)...
we'll go back to WDW in 2 years, but this year it's DLP....
we haven't been there in 19 years, so hopefully it's improved since then..
but we know we're going to france..
we trying to set our expectations low (don't flame me)..
sadly, we're doing the trip out of order, doing a disney cruise first then DLP...
should have done it the other way around, since DCL is the gold standard for disney service and experience...
but it will be ok...
we know the french are pushy line jumpers....we're expecting it..
we know the french are attached by IV to their cigarettes...we're expecting it..
we're going to try to take a totally laid back approach...
hopefully it will work...
if we enjoy this trip, we'll be back as it is so very very close to us (5 hours is a hop, skip and jump compared to getting to the USA)..
and if we don't, we'll at least have had an interesting cultural experience, with some mouse thrown in ...

Yep, keeping the right attitude is the key. We’re going for a week soon, we know what to expect and I’m sure we’re gonna have the best time ever.

And I’m sure the Disney company will improve DLP in time, they definitely care about it and we all know they are capable of magic :)

Will b there in 357 more days & yes no issue with the European way of seeing all things DISney -:goodvibes

ta ta pour l'instant
et à la vôtre:wave2:

but when americans are told not to smoke, for the most part they follow the rules.
the french?...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

example.....
me: upon entering a restaurant in paris, i ask for the no smoking section.
maitre d': *laughs*
me: but i thought you have a no smoking section
me: *stare at him expectantly*
him: 'yes, we do have a no smoking section, but everyone there is smoking' (absolutely no apology in his tone)
me: "so you don't have any tables with no smoke?"

pretty representative of the french experience...

Where exactly are you from? Just wondering as I have seen many Americans refuse to follow rules, who are openly rude (even aggressively rude), etc. And I've known many American smokers. If you're American, I'm wondering which part of America you're from that you mostly only meet the rule followers and nonsmokers. If you're not American, then you seem to have relatively limited exposure to Americans through travel.

Most Americans never go to Europe, and many never even leave their home states. That's what I mean by stereotyping. What a European observes from those Americans who are visiting Europe or even Disney World is not necessarily representative of the majority of Americans.

Last edited:
Where exactly are you from? Just wondering as I have seen many Americans refuse to follow rules, who are openly rude (even aggressively rude), etc. And I've known many American smokers. If you're American, I'm wondering which part of America you're from that you mostly only meet the rule followers and nonsmokers. If you're not American, then you seem to have relatively limited exposure to Americans through travel.

Most Americans never go to Europe, and many never even leave their home states. That's what I mean by stereotyping. What a European observes from those Americans who are visiting Europe or even Disney World is not necessarily representative of the majority of Americans.

It’s different, depending on which state, but smoking has decreased sharply among the majority of Americans. It has developed a taboo status in the zeitgeist of U.S. culture. Disney is even about to make all its U.S. parks completely non-smoking which should be interesting to see. I live in Washington State and it’s becoming quite rare for me to experience smokers in my daily life.

Americans that vacation in Europe are a mixed bag of types in my experience. The ones that stick out in Europe, do a good job of sticking out in the U.S. A rude tourist is a rude tourist, no matter their nationality. There are some of us that blend in better than most and typically only give away our nationality when we start talking.

I'd only ever been to DLP since it opened, as a young teenager. 2 years ago we did Orlando and yep, I really did not like MK or the Studios there. The rides are different and it doesn't feel the same. I loved Animal Kingdom and Epcot however, but my <3 belongs to DLP. Going back next week, I've lost count of the numbers of times we've been there. Yes there are the usual negatives, but even though it's getting busier and more expensive, I feel the smoking has reduced. Last time we saw barely anyone smoking out of the non-smoking areas, and unusually, the smoking areas were pretty full!

I'd only ever been to DLP since it opened, as a young teenager. 2 years ago we did Orlando and yep, I really did not like MK or the Studios there. The rides are different and it doesn't feel the same. I loved Animal Kingdom and Epcot however, but my <3 belongs to DLP. Going back next week, I've lost count of the numbers of times we've been there. Yes there are the usual negatives, but even though it's getting busier and more expensive, I feel the smoking has reduced. Last time we saw barely anyone smoking out of the non-smoking areas, and unusually, the smoking areas were pretty full!

That’s nice to hear. What makes DLP better for you compared to MK?

Yes, Americans smoke. Adult smoking rates in the US are at about 15% on average, I think, but can be dramatically higher in certain places and lower in others. Where I live (upper mid-west), it is dramatically lower.

However, in my experience in the US, Americans DO observe smoking rules. My state went no smoking in bars/restaurants 15+ years ago. Best thing ever. My kids basically have never seen anyone smoking in a restaurant in their life. And since one has severe asthma triggered by smoke, we are very happy about that.

And the French attitude to smoking (basically I can do whatever I want, even though it is impacting everyone around me in ways that can damage their health) is frankly so 1950s it blows my mind.

I agree with posters above that people get used to their own park and can have issues with the same but different thing. My family definitely experienced that with their first trip to DL, after a number of trips to WDW. I kept reminding them that it was different and older and special in its own right, and better in a number of ways. We are planning on taking that same attitude when we arrive at DLP for the first time next month. In fact, I might make a game of it - let's find the new and different things about these parks so that we can appreciate them.

many never even leave their home states.

This is just wrong. The amount of Americans who never leave their home state is certainly less than 1% and probably less than 0.01% which does not come anywhere close to many. Not sure where you are from, but that statement alone disqualifies you from describing Americans in my book.

This is just wrong. The amount of Americans who never leave their home state is certainly less than 1% and probably less than 0.01% which does not come anywhere close to many.
It is not wrong at all. Where are you getting your numbers? You are the one who is mistaken, if you believe the numbers you stated.

Life experience
I have life experience, as well. I have worked extensively in poor urban areas, where many American never even leave their part of town, let alone the state. There are a lot of Americans who never travel. Not 50%, but a lot more than 1%.

I have life experience, as well. I have worked extensively in poor urban areas, where many American never even leave their part of town, let alone the state. There are a lot of Americans who never travel. Not 50%, but a lot more than 1%.

That seems like a moot point in discussing theme park goers though doesn’t it?

That seems like a moot point in discussing theme park goers though doesn’t it?
A European PP had stereotyped Americans vs. the French in a certain way, describing Americans as being better mannered, more apt to follow rules, and healthier. I objected, pointing out that only a minority of Americans ever travel to Europe, and many never even travel to places like Disney World, so that person's perspective was skewed and inaccurate. It was comparing an unusually affluent and educated sampling of Americans vs. a broad sampling of French people. I pointed out that discrepancy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter