Divorce 202: How to Survive WDW with exDH

Hi Guys! I will be back to respond shortly to all of you - wanted to aplogize for my absence last week. I had my business set up at the county fair so the week was spent prepping, setting up and sitting out there until 11pm every night. I'm beat!

New updates coming up today and through the week!

I've also heard they do this.

Thanks! I think this will be the plan then!

You are one brave lady! :laughing: I can't wait to see how all of this unfolds.

Oh - I' definitely packing lots of tylenol! LOL!

I'm so in for this one. I'm one of those crazy people who vacationed with their Ex & it's ok, but I only did it for 3 days of a 6 day vacation I can't imagine doing it for as long as you. The only reason I did it was for my DS to go deep sea fishing so I wouldn't have to take him. Good luck to you & I can't wait to hear how this turns out.popcorn::

Welcome and thanks for reading!

this is where I visited!!:upsidedow not your other TR like I thought...when I read pg 1 of your TR this afternoon; I thought I know I'm not crazy this is not what I read the other night. But, signed on til I figured it out :lmao: so, I got two for the price of one:idea:

:wave: OK all caught up with you on this one...wow that is alot of moving but it really does sound like alot of fun and you get to experience two new places on one stay :thumbsup2 sounds like an interesting vacation Danny & I are married 23 yrs and we get on one another's nerves; so, I can't imagine an EX:wizard:sending pixiedust:

now I have to go catch up on the other one...maybe tomorrow it looked like I am way behind on the TR
:flower3:

Thanks for joining in - here and in the TR!

I'm in! This is the first TR I've followed!

Welcome aboard!

Hi....

I just happen to stumble upon you PTR!! And you are not alone!! :) My ExHubby and I are planning our 3rd vacation together since being divorced. We have gone twice to Disneyland and this is our first time (since being divorced) going to WDW!! We are going October 16-24. We have a 7 year old daughter (who will be 8 by the time we go). We have always loved all things Disney. In fact, our honeymoon was at WDW. My daughter was only 2 when we divorced. So she has never really known us to be together, except for vacation!! I know some people probably think is a strange situation, but that's ok. I know my DD likes our vacations together and it's really all about her anyway!! It's important that she knows we can always come together to support her and love her!

And just a final side note......I love the fact that when we vacation together and he does something that just really bothers me, I don't live with him ANYMORE!!! :rotfl2:

I hope you and the family have a fabulous vacation!!! :tink:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Yes, the true reason for the vacation is all about DD and DS. I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one to do this.

Disney does a great job, moving your luggage from one resort to another.
I was told they do all moving from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

We moved from the Beach Club over to POR. I was a bit embarassed, because we had so much luggage, a cooler, snacks and a stadium chair-(we went to a Nascar race in Homestead). The valet was really cool about it. He will count all the luggage with you, and then he will discuss and write down all the extra's on a sheet of paper. He joked with us about the snacks, and said, he don't know if the snacks will make it. But he tied them all up in a bag and hung them on one of the hooks. When we got to POR, they brought our luggage in the exact same way, it was packed at the BC. We tipped valet $10 in both places. It sure saved us a headache of moving everything. Someone once said, to move your luggage with park busses, but I guess it isn't allowed.

It will certainly save lots of time and hassle, especially with the kids to let them do it. Glad to know!

Ok I am in. Can't wait to read the updated.
Mary Kay

Hi! Thanks for stopping in.

TOTALLY IN!

Can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

I followed you over from mickeystoontown.

I'm really impressed that you two are adult enough to do this for your kids! :thumbsup2

Thanks for joining in!

OK girl, you have me hooked on this PTR and your May TR :lmao:. My exDH and I are friends and we talk on the phone all the time. We were only married for 3 1/2 years and we had no children together. My DH now doesn't say much about us talking. He knows I'm not going any where after 22 years and 3 kids.........:rotfl2:.
j

Glad to have you here and at the TR!

Hi Guys! I will be back to respond shortly to all of you - wanted to aplogize for my absence last week. I had my business set up at the county fair so the week was spent prepping, setting up and sitting out there until 11pm every night. I'm beat!

New updates coming up today and through the week!

Cant wait to see more pictures!!! Good for you for being willing to go to WDW with your ex! Thanks for letting me tag along!

Since I was handling the communication with the DVC members we are renting points from, I gave exDH a homework assignment: to come up with places to eat at. Now, given that we are waaaaayyy past the 90 day dining window, I knew that some places would be extremely hard to get into, and that we would need to make them fast. Given the fact that the kids and I were just in WDW in April/May, and he hasn't been there since 2006, I would let him get his top eating picks first.

So, a weekend went by - I sent him links to all the menus so he could look at them in case anything had changed. A week went by ... another weekend ... and I'm getting antsy. OK, I'm getting annoyed. :headache: Typical. Did this when we were married ... So I started to make ADR's. Come on! I mean you can make them online now and I'm itching to try it! LOL! It's the little things right? :rotfl2:

I made ADRs for our first dinner at LTT, well Diamond Horseshoe Revue - same food - bc that is exDH"s favorite restaurant in WDW.

I tried to get Chef Mickey and Ohana's bc those are 2 other favorites of his, but have not been successful. In all honesty, I wasn't surprised to find there was no availability for either of the places on any of the dates.

Then I just kept going, emailing him the updated spreadsheet with all the dining choices.

Right now, it looks like:

8/25 dinner at Diamond Horseshoe (I really miss the old can can show there!)
8/26 - 6:50pm Biergarten (haven't been there since 2004 when exDH and I tried to drink around the world - I'm not a drinker so I didn't make it)
8/27 - nothing
8/28 - 4:45pm Rose N Crown - a bit early but it's evening EMH
8/29 - 6:15pm Rainforest at AK - evening EMH
8/30 - 11:20am Sci-Fi
8/31 - DS's pretend birthday day, plans to be revealed in future post
9/1 - DD's pretend birthday day, plans to be revealed in future post
9/2 - 5pm HDDR Category 1 seating
9/3 - 5:50pm Brown Derby
9/4 - 4:25pm The Plaza, MNSSHP
9/5 - 7pm Tutto Italia
9/6 - 9:15am Crystal Palace
9/7 - nothing

After sending the emails and updates showing exDH that we need to make ADR's and knowing that I can cancel something if exDH wanted to eat somewhere else and we could get in, he finally submitted his homework assignment!

What's on the list, you ask?

Ohana's
Chef Mickey's
LTT
Rose N Crown
Biergarten
Coral Reef
Nine Dragons
The Wave
Brown Derby

4 out of 9 ain't bad - I guess I still know him! (6 if I could have gotten ADR's at Ohana's and Chef Mickey's) I vetoed Nine Dragons right away bc the woman from Disney who deals with food allergies couldn't guarantee me that the food there was free of MSG; I have a severe allergy to it so I can't take the chance.

I tried to swap Tutto Italia for Coral Reef but didn't like the time slots so exDH said to keep the Italy one and it will be a new experience for all of us.

The Wave is still pending for 8/27. I ate here in May and liked it but the kids didn't enjoy it. In their defense, they were overtired, very hungry, and hot so I think dinner anywhere would have been difficult.

Coming Up - Lesson 5: Celebrating DD and DS's birthdays!

Oooh. Can't wait to see what surprises you have for their birthdays!

We went for DS7's 4th birthday and it was a lot of fun. And we went a couple weeks early b/c his birthday is late March which = Spring Break. Unfortunately DS4's bday is early June so neither of them have good birthdays for Disney World (though we did go for the day for DS4's 1st birthday-but we still lived in Florida then).

Can't wait to see what you have planned!

sounds like a good dining plan...sorry you missed out on Ohana and CM try again sometimes there are cx even up to the day you want the ressie...good luck

can't wait to hear about the b-day surprises...

I was starting to wonder if they was anything wrong with you or your family, but I'm glad it was just work. I hope all went well with the fair!
I hope you can get some more ADR's. We love the Biergarten - I could go every night if I could. Can't wait to here the birthday suprises.

I can totally relate to your story! I am also traveling with my ex this December with our three children. Two of our children have special needs - so for just one of us to try and go alone with all three is very difficult.
Additionally it has turned into a Grand Gathering that includes his parents & one of his brothers and that family.
I get along with his whole family very well, so not worried about that. I am more concerned with sharing the info with MY parents - who did not like the ex (we had a rough divorce at the beginning). :scared1:
But it more about the kids and letting them enjoy a great trip (and making it all more affordable for everyone).
I look forward to reading your trip report and how it progresses! Good luck!

Oooh. Can't wait to see what surprises you have for their birthdays!

We went for DS7's 4th birthday and it was a lot of fun. And we went a couple weeks early b/c his birthday is late March which = Spring Break. Unfortunately DS4's bday is early June so neither of them have good birthdays for Disney World (though we did go for the day for DS4's 1st birthday-but we still lived in Florida then).

Can't wait to see what you have planned!

I've only been for my bday once, and it was about 5 days after the fact. Been there for Dee Dad's, my mom's, and sister's actual birthdays - oh and exDH's too, come to think of it.

Part of the reason for the time frame is bc of my business - I get busy in Oct. with craft fairs and also getting ready for Christmas card design season. It would have been ideal to go end Sept/early Oct. in between both their bday's.

Worried that we'll get there and they'll have a hurricane!

With a title like this - who can resist? Not me! Count me in!

Glad to have you on board! :thumbsup2

sounds like a good dining plan...sorry you missed out on Ohana and CM try again sometimes there are cx even up to the day you want the ressie...good luck

can't wait to hear about the b-day surprises...

I wasn't able to check last week, but usually check a few times a day to see about cancellations. Even if we don't get in, we still have some great dining places!

I was starting to wonder if they was anything wrong with you or your family, but I'm glad it was just work. I hope all went well with the fair!
I hope you can get some more ADR's. We love the Biergarten - I could go every night if I could. Can't wait to here the birthday suprises.

The fair worked out. Out of 5 days, there was one rain out day (Thurs. night), and we had 2 storms on Sat and Sun. blow over us. Last night during cleanup the heavens opened up, tents covers were blowing open and trees falling but we got the day in so I was happy! Last year we missed out on Sunday and part of Wednesday night - Sunday is my best day so I wasn't happy then.

Bday surprises are coming up next. Probably tomorrow. Gotta put the kids to bed soon.

I can totally relate to your story! I am also traveling with my ex this December with our three children. Two of our children have special needs - so for just one of us to try and go alone with all three is very difficult.
Additionally it has turned into a Grand Gathering that includes his parents & one of his brothers and that family.
I get along with his whole family very well, so not worried about that. I am more concerned with sharing the info with MY parents - who did not like the ex (we had a rough divorce at the beginning). :scared1:
But it more about the kids and letting them enjoy a great trip (and making it all more affordable for everyone).
I look forward to reading your trip report and how it progresses! Good luck!

exDH and I had a rough divorce too. My mom was NOT happy when I told her - took awhile and my dad and sister had to make her realize the reason why I am doing this - the kids. We can all get along for bdays and such, but my mom/family is worried that I will get hurt again or he will try to control me, etc. I know it won't happen bc I won't allow it to.

I too get along with my exMIL. exFIL and I never had much of a relationship but we are cordial.

I just noticed the lin in your siggie!

Wow! Your such a strong, brave women for doing this! I think it will be great for the little ones to have a nice vaction with mommy and daddy!

Great prices on the DVC rentals!

can't wait to read more!

Decided to join over here too!! Sounds like this could get interesting!! LOL!

Subscribing - couldn't resist the title :lmao:.
You have to take your DD to Disneyworld next - the castle there really is Sleeping Beauty's castle!

Joined in your TR in progress so I am now subbing here! It's great that you and exDH can take a vacation with the kids together. So many can't even manage being in the same room together! Can't wait to see whats planned for the babies bdays!

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I cannot stand Tinkerbell! Never liked her bc of her sassy, spoiled brat attitude. Sure I like Peter Pan, but she always irked me. Then she gets a movie and not only does she talk, but she's sweet?! Since when? And there are 4 more Tink movies on the way?

As you can probably guess, we didn't spend any time waiting in line to meet Tink & friends in Pixie Hollow, and I have no intention of doing so this trip either.

No offense to those who like her (I do like watching her fly from the castle during the fireworks), just a little rant on my part since the kids are eating lunch watching Return to Neverland.

I really did not like the spoiled, jealous girlfriend tinkerbell of the past, either.

but, I do have to say I really do like the "new" tinkerbell...we watch both Peter Pan movies and the Tinkerbell movie on a regular basis and I am looking forward to the new movies...and since I have a little boy we did not go to see the fairies when we visited WDW.

But, I know just where your rant is coming from!!! ;)

... to DD and DS!

On this trip we are celebrating DD and DS's birthdays a little early. DD's actual bday is Sept 14 and DS's is Oct. 29. Both of them will have family parties around their actual birthday (see future posts on invitations - DD's is an Aurora party and DS's is going to be Cars).

exDH and I decided to dedicate one day for each of them and make it their unbirthday.

DS's bday is going to August 31.

On our last trip - he absolutely loved AK and the safari. Add that to his love of Donald Duck and the plans were set in motion for his special day.

605242668_w6bnS-L.jpg

We are kicking off his unbirthday day with 8:30 am ADR's at Donald's Breakfast Safari at the Tusker House. This has got to be the best breakfast buffet. We've gone twice now, and have enjoyed it both times - great food, characters :thumbsup2

AK has AM EMH hours so the plan is to get there for the opening show which we've never seen before. Ideally it would be great to catch a safari ride before breakfast but I'm not sure if it's doable, so I may have exDH run up and grab FP's (if they are open this early) for after breakfast.

We'll spend the majority of the day at AK, probably wrapping it up with the Jammin' Jungle Parade before heading back to Boardwalk to relax.

Dinner is TBD - probably a CS of some sort (or maybe order Picnic in the Park to bring back to BWV) bc by 8:15 we need to be over at the Contemporary dock area for the
Pirate & Pals Fireworks Cruise

605242786_sQuUh-L.jpg

This event begins with cookies, snacks and beverages before you "set sail" on your magical voyage where you'll have prime viewing of the Magic Kingdom's "Wishes" and "Electrical Water Pageant." Before you board, none other than Captain Hook and his hapless first-mate Mr. Smee arrive for some mayhem and photos. Your host for the night is "Patch," a pirate of dubious distinction. As you sail along the Seven Seas Lagoon, Patch will have you singing along and challenge you to some Disney Trivia.

Your "ship will set anchor" at the perfect spot overlooking the Magic Kingdom to view "Wishes". From there you return to the pier while Patch regales you with the story of Peter Pan. When you arrive, you'll see that none other than Peter himself is there to greet you.

Sept 1 is going to be DD's unbirthday day.

We are starting out at Akershus Princess Storybook Breakfast at 9:25am. DD will be completely dolled up as Aurora, I'm sure! Of course, as soon as breakfast is over I will change her into a cooler dress for the day.

605242706_5pLhf-L.jpg

By the time we are finished with breakfast and have changed DD's wardrobe, it should be close to 11am and we can spend some time around World Showcase, meeting characters - seeing some of the shows. We'll head back to BWV around 3:30-4 to relax and get ready for the evening.

Her birthday dinner continues at ...
Cinderella's Royal Table!

605242665_m9ZBm-L.jpg

"Dreams Come True Dinner"

Cinderella's Royal Table Dinner
is an all-you-care-to-eat, fixed-price, set meal hosted by the Fairy Godmother,
who will lead the observance of special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries.

Complimentary Imaging Package: When you arrive at Cinderella Castle for your reservation, a photographer will be on hand to take pictures of your group in the lobby, before you are seated in the dining room.

You get a photo package including:
# 4 prints 4" by 6"
# One print 6" by 8"
# One print 6" by 8" of Cinderella Castle
# Cinderella-themed photo holder
delivered to you during your meal. (One photo package per party of 1-4; two photo packages for parties of 5-8, etc.) Additional photos may be purchased. Note: These photos can also be added to your Disney's PhotoPass account!

Children (ages 3-9) also get a Surprise gift! A princess wand for girls and a prince's sword for boys!

Appetizers of the Court
Choice of one:

Castle Salad - Mixed Field Greens with Blue Cheese, Raspberries and Herb Gremolata tossed in Berry Vinaigrette

Vegetable Spring Roll - with Soybean and Bok Choy Salad and a Giner-Garlic Sauce

BLT Salad - Applewood Smoked Bacon, Tomato, Egg, Red Onion, and a wedge of Iceberg Lettuce drizzled with Roasted Shallot Vinaigrette

Corn and Crab Soup - with Sour Cream and Chives

Entrées Royale:
Choice of one:

Roast Lamb Chops - with Gratin Potatoes, Vegetable Ragout, and drizzled with Herb Pesto

Pork Chop - with Bacon and Mushroom Ragout and Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes finished with Sweet Chipotle Glaze

Lemon Lavender Chicken - on Mashed Potatoes served with Wilted Spinach and a Chicken Jus

Roast Prime Rib of Beef - with Grilled Asparagus, Roasted Potatoes, and Cabernet Sauce

Pan Seared Salmon - with a grain Pilaf, Grilled Asparagus, and glazed with Rosemary-Lemon Honey

Cavatappi Pasta - Spiral Pasta with Summer Vegetables, Garlic, Basil, fresh Tomatoes, Ricotta, and grated Romano

Finale
Choice of one:

Chocolate Cream Cheese Buckle - A single layer of Chocolate Cake stuffed with Cream Cheese topped with Créme Chantily and finished with Créme Anglaise Sauce

Seasonal No Sugar Added Sorbet - with berries

Seasonal Cremé Brulée

Beverages
included in price

Coffee, Tea, Hot Cocoa

Minute Maid Apple Juice or Orange Juice

Milk
Soda
Iced Tea
Lemonade
Punch

Additional Beverages (Extra charge)

Cappuccino - $3.69
Espresso - $3.19

Still and Sparkling Bottled Water - $3.25

Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Brew - A frozen smoothie served in our Cinderella's collector's mug. Take home a piece of the castle. $8.20

Not a bad way to spend a birthday?

What an awesome way to spend their 'Un" birthday's...
I cannot wait to hear about the pirate cruise when you come back...

I love how you have decided to do such wonderful and special days for each of them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter