Distroyed Plants at Boardwalk! WOW I am shocked at some of these responses!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by crisi
That is shocking! Shocking that the front desk would tell you who was in that room, if they were a member and if the names matched!

I have a little experience with hotel management, and the front desk staff rules I am familar with would get the person giving you that information fired. Terrible breech of privacy.

In all fairness to Disney Front Desk employees, please do not believe that this is Disney Policy.

I am sorry I usually don't come out and say that what someone has posted is not accurate, but I truely do not believe this information was shared.

If it did happen the CM would be fired at Disney also.

Raising points rented will not stop idiotic behavior anymore than Disney raising room rates. Idiots will be there regardless of the cost. So mute point in hoping that raising the cost of points rented will change behaviors. Just not going to happen.

Basically whether one thinks renting is good for DVC is really mute also as long as Disney allows it. Anyone can ask what they want for their points. As to controlling the market price, well gee wouldn't it be nice if that was the way life was. I could go to Auto Trader, and ask what I wanted for my car and then ask everyone else not to sell something similar for less. I really don't think that is going to happen. Just as people are not going to be able to control what others rent their points for by discussing it here.

Also trying to imply that destructive behavior is directly related to a certain price for rented DVC points is laughable. I don't think anyone here will buy that one. I think you can post you hate to see destructive behavior at DVC resorts and you wish DVC would do something to be proactive in preventing this. You can also post you wish you could get more for your rented DVC points. But you can't tie the two together and be believeable.

Originally posted by 10gigi
What do you mean how do I know!!! I asked! I am completely disappointed in some of these reponses. I asked the front desk if it was an owner staying and the name of the person staying was different from the owner. They stated it was either renters or family. The manager also stated if it was family do you think they would distroy families property!! Wow! I am shocked, I really thought people who put their money into something would care more!!! I guess I was wrong!!!! I never said I looked down on anyone! I also never stated they were rich or poor!!! We really have a lot of people with issues on this board. Term meaning trash is that the kids destroyed property and when parents were confronted they just laughed and said they didn't care!!!! Thats what I consider trash!!!!! People who destroy things that don't belong to them and laugh about it as if its a joke!!!! I spend thousands of dollars a year to have a family trips to Disney I want my resort kept up nicely!!!!! Shame on any of you who responded in a negative manner!!!!!
WOW
I think all of use care what happens and would be happy if others try to prevent these type of things from happening. Still, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that owners do any better than renters or guests. From a usage standpoint, owners really are just renters, no different than one who rents a car from a rental company for a week.

IF the manager gave out pesonal info, that is wrong. If they made a general comment that the name was different than the owner, this has no meaning. There are many guests and family what would have different names. I sincerely doubt that the resort even has the info about anyone being a renter, even if MS knew it. And even if they were renters, it sounds like you were assuming they rented from this board, which may or may not be true. But as several pointed out, sometimes kids do things and sometimes parents don't control their kids. This is true for all classes of people and owners as well as non owenrs (renters, guests, cash to Disney).

Originally posted by FutureWasYesterday
I really dont know anyone on this board personally, but it is fairly obvious that the OP has ulterior motives and its pretty pathetic

I agree with both statements above 100%.

Originally posted by Dean
Still, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that owners do any better than renters or guests.
Have you ever or known anyone to take a rental car and get it waxed and detailed? Ever done that to your own car? Some common sense does apply regarding the degree renters are concerned about the future or the resort and mantenance costs as opposed to owners.

I'm not saying that in support of the original poster's contentions, just that owners do have a greater vested interest in the longevity of thier resort. It's silly to declare otherwise IMHO.

In summary:

Should all resort guests treat the property with respect?
Could a resort front desk give out inappropriate information?
Are rented points to cheap at $10 each?
Could a poster be lying?
Could a poster be telling the truth?
Are there lots of hidden (and not so hidden) agendas here?

yes...yes...yes...yes...yes and YES.;)

I am very scared to think that anybody could walk up to the front desk and ask a CM if the family staying in room 429 are the actual owners or a renter.....WOWSA.

Yep, count me in on that one. I doubt that information was given, however. And, it is a stretch of great magnitude to state so firmly that they were rented from this board.
The OP is failing my "smell" test.

I guess I am on the wrong board! I can't not believe these comments. I will not be posting anymore with this type of attitude. I just feel that if the price is more then maybe people would care more. Rent your points out for a dollar for all I care. There are some real wacked people on this board!!! To all of you who really understood what my point was, Thank you. The rest of you, deal with your issues and stop trying to put your issues on someone else who really cares about DVC.
Good Bye

Sorry but they did tell me they were owners and they did say it was not the name of the owner staying!!! You are so wacked!!!! Get a life!!!!! GEt a life!!!!!

Frankly, I don't believe a word of your original post. I think it is time you build a bridge and get over it.

Has anyone thought it odd that the OP and the person who loves to tell us that we don't charge enough for our points are from the SAME state? Strikes me as odd.

I'm sure a manager would run to a computer to find out if someone whose children destroyed some plants were members or not and would release that information to another guest. And the reservation said they rented from someone on this board. Please :rolleyes:

My first thought originally was that the OP had spoken to this family and they told him/her that they had rented points from the DIS board. But saying the manager released the info is ridiculous. I doubt that information is even in the front desk's computer. MS probably just feeds them the name the reservation is under.

Originally posted by Desperado
Have you ever or known anyone to take a rental car and get it waxed and detailed? Ever done that to your own car? Some common sense does apply regarding the degree renters are concerned about the future or the resort and mantenance costs as opposed to owners.

I'm not saying that in support of the original poster's contentions, just that owners do have a greater vested interest in the longevity of thier resort. It's silly to declare otherwise IMHO.
Actually in many ways a DVC "owner" is far closer to someone who rents a car than someone who owns a car or home. It may or may not be that a renter does more damage, just that there's no evidence that we have to say one way or the other. And the idea that one "owns" DVC somehow makes them take better care of a unit they will likely never see again is unlikely to say the least. I doubt even DVC has any info to address this question. And as you and I have talked before, the Manager at Marriott's Grande Ocean in HH didn't think renters were any harder on units there than owners were. Here is the response I received from the THEN manager at Marriott's Grande Ocean whom I know outside his duties as well.
We don't have any scientific measures of this data but do have a general "feel" for what we experience. More accurately if I were to generalize, I would breakdown the usage and wear and tear based on the demographics rather than by ownership lines. Families with kids are harder on the villas than couples without. Within those groups we don't really experience a discernable variance in how much wear and tear each group causes. We will have the occasional weekend renters who use their villa as a party headquarters but so too do we experience situations where owners give their young adult kids a villa for a week and the same thing occurs. Because the "price of admission" is pretty high regardless of how you are staying on property, the general case is that people staying at MGO are responsible patrons who are out to enjoy a great vacation and only place normal wear and tear on the resort. The exceptions are there- but are not predominantly any one of owners, renters, or exchange guests etc...

I don't agree with anyone trashing any property anywhere!!

What concerns me greatly now is the fact that the OP says he/she is NOT lieing about the front desk CM giving away personal information!!!

I have a teen daughter who will be bringing a friend and we plan to give them some freedom around the resort!! I am very worried now that someone can just walk up to the front desk and find out what room they are in and what their name is and if they are owners?!!!?!?!?!?!? This is disturbing!!

I would like everyone on this thread to get off the computer and call Boardwalk and ask if the 2nd floor Boardwalk view Hallway planter box of plants were drestroyed on July 14th, 2004. To all of you who think I am lying to try to get you to increase the amount people charge for rental points shame on you, I thought the people on this board were more intelligent.

P.S. The front desk never gave out room numbers or names. Please read more cafefully next time. I spoke with two people at the front desk reguarding this issue.

Maybe, if people were charged a fee to participate on the DisBoards, spelling would improve also. "Distroyed"? Unless, of course this is just a play on words.

Just a thought.

I would like everyone on this thread to get off the computer and call Boardwalk and ask if the 2nd floor Boardwalk view Hallway planter box of plants were drestroyed on July 14th, 2004. To all of you who think I am lying to try to get you to increase the amount people charge for rental points shame on you, I thought the people on this board were more intelligent.

P.S. The front desk never gave out room numbers or names. Please read more cafefully next time. I spoke with two people at the front desk reguarding this issue.
To what end would we call. If it happened it happened and DVC plus the resort are responsible at this time. I'm curious and you still haven't said that I have seen, how you knew these were renters and specifically how you knew they rented from this board. You implied that either you and/or the manager assumed they were renting since the names were different that the owners. If that's it, your post suggesting this was renters based on assumptions was very flawed at best and extremely inappropriate at worst. I think most guests would report the type of behaviour you mentioned in the OP or at least they should. As for trying to find out about them specifically, that seems like a gross invasion of privacy if that was your goal and far worse than trashing the planters. If the manager just happened to mention it based on your complaint, that is a problem as well but on them and not you.

I don't like to hear that children are destroying the public areas of DVC. I don't think this varies greatly between members, non-members, Disney resort guests, folks passing through, etc., etc.

I trust Disney/DVC management are keeping these incidents under control and will get restitution in any case that they can.

I am far more disturbed that a front desk employee would share any information whatsoever about a guest with someone who walks up to the desk and inquires. I didn't realize that the front desk notes that the transaction was done through the DIS -- do they also have a notation for E-Bay?

I would also warn the original poster against directly addressing or reprimanding small children. You may find some children are instructed to scream bloody murder whenever a stranger speaks to them in a public place. You might find yourself explaining to management why you were bothering the children. You might also want to think carefully about directly confronting the parents as well. The best advice is to report problems to management and let them handle it.

If you'd like a discussion about raising the rental price then have that discussion. If you'd like to discuss how DVC manages the cost of damage that's another topic. I fail to see how the two are related. If we follow the original posters assumption that owners treat the property better than people who rent .... the discussion should be how do we stop rentals? I fail to see how charging more for a rental would guarantee the damage would stop. I kind of doubt if we had only members staying in the resort that we wouldn't continue to see incidents like the one described.

Call and ask if the planters were damaged on Day X? You have got to be kidding!!!! ;)

In the case of a family reunion, a married daughter and her family would most likely have a different last name from her parents who are the DVC owners. There are lots of cases where DVC family could be in the resort staying in different villas with different names on the reservations. That's not proof of a cash rental.

To all of you who think I am lying to try to get you to increase the amount people charge for rental points shame on you, I thought the people on this board were more intelligent.

Like it or not, whenever you post here, you open yourself up to criticism.

Giving the benefit of the doubt that there is actually some truth to be found here, you could have just posted the fact that you witnessed the (alleged) vandalism and brought it to management's attention. More likely than not, you would have been praised a dozen times over for those actions.

However, YOU chose to turn this into a point rental issue. YOU decided to refer to the people involved as "trash". And YOU chose to post a pretty far-fetched story about how the front desk figured out which room these people were in and that they were staying on rented points AND that the points were rented from these boards. :rolleyes:

Even if (and that's a BIG "IF") every word of your post is correct, you made a horrible mistake by using this as a platform for again advocating an increase in point rental prices. It didn't take long for people to drag out your prior posts condoning higher rental prices. All this did is throw gasoline on the fire.

Personally, I'll stop short of calling you a liar. SOME parts of the story probably contain an element of truth. But undeniable that you had your own agenda for posting in the first place. Take it somewhere else.

I don't believe the OP either. If you can satisfactorily answer my questions though I will reconsider....

"These families rented from someone on this board."

You know this how?

"Please lets consider raising our rental prices.
Still very upset!!!!"

If you raise the price of the points all that will happen is that those renters will go to the value resorts or the maybe the mods. You think that the people with money are going to want to rent points? If they are not already renting, they are not going to.

"I asked the front desk and it was an owner who made reservations but the name was different from the owner! So it was either a family member or a renter!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You know this how? Also how quickly did you ask for the manager to report the CM who gave you this information? If a CM gave me that information I would want them to be reprimanded.

Man, thanks for the fun! Reading these posts the last 30 minutes has been a huge stress releaser for me (laughing so hard). I have to admit, it smells like a troll...but who knows. :jester:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter