Dissapointed with SSR

Sammie said:
Liked it, No, absolutely Loved It! One of my favorites resorts and can't wait to go again.

Ditto!
I didn't like it either, loved it!
What's not to love, being so close to DTD. I had a hot tub right off the patio. The grounds were so beautiful, that I couldn't resist just walking around and taking pictures. They have their on spa on site! The resort is so soothing, can't wait for November!!

I just wish SSR would add a couple full service restaurants! I don't think that's too much to ask. Maybe a fun one like Cape May Cafe and an upscale one like Yachtsman Steakhouse. That, plus the appeal of DTD, would make our family want to try SSR. I think the photo's of SSR look lovely. I LIKE the themeing. It's the thought of having to leave the resort every morning to get a full service breakfast and coming "home" from a long day in the parks and only having food court items for dinner to choose from that makes us hesitate. I don't think the pool is necessarily going to be too small and I don't mind the exterior hallways, nor do I agree with a lot of the things people say about SSR. (I admit I have only seen photos of the resort on Deb's website) For us it's really the dining options. Hopefully (for us) Disney will change this as the resort is being built. :wizard:

SoCalKDG said:
[...]So will your avatar change when Johnny Depp does Willy Wonka?[...]
Now that's a good question. Actually, I have a "JD as WW" as my avatar on the Las Vegas board I frequent (which brings up a funny story; on the LV board, there's a remarkably similar debate which could easily be called "Disappointed by Wynn".)

I'm quite fond of Gene Wilder's interpretation of WW, but they did diverge from the book quite a bit; I think that it - like much of Roald Dahl's works - was considered too dark for children 'back in the day'. Now of course, there's Lemony Snicket & Harry Potter.... And since I lurve Danny Elman's composing and Tim Burton's directing, if they do it nice and dark (like "Nightmare Before Christmas", etc.) I think I'll have to find room in my heart for both chocolatiers.

2 hours to SWA boarding passes; 7 hours to wake-up; 8 hours to 'leave for airport'; 11 hours to take-off; 15 hours to landing, 16 hours to VWL (for a night); then 6 nights at SSR!

Be well!

NMW said:
I just wish SSR would add a couple full service restaurants! I don't think that's too much to ask. Maybe a fun one like Cape May Cafe and an upscale one like Yachtsman Steakhouse.... :wizard:

I was told back in March by the bar tender of the Turf Club that daily specials were now available at the bar, and that the full service Turf Club resturant, which is located around the corner from the bar, would be opening in a few months.

Mickeysduck said:
I was told back in March by the bar tender of the Turf Club that daily specials were now available at the bar, and that the full service Turf Club resturant, which is located around the corner from the bar, would be opening in a few months.

That sounds like a good idea! :)
I think, as someone else mentioned pages ago, and I agree-we just need to be patient. The resort is not finished yet, and they are not going to have more staff than they need right now. I'm sure they are aware of this need, especially once the resort is finished.

crisi said:
I'm not sure why this will make the standalone resorts more popular. I don't think "hotel vs. condo" preferences will change. I think that location may be less of a draw, but Epcot, I think, is a different type of draw than the MK. I see future trips where we spend little time in the MK and a lot of time golfing. But I don't see future trips where we don't go into Epcot. The Boardwalk area has a lot of restaurants and activities - and feels more "mature" to me than DTD. YMMV.

My assumption is that people like you, who anticipate going to Epcot every year for the next 40 or 50 years, are a minority. Of course, that could be wrong. I guess we all assume our preference is the most common.

If that assumption is correct, and people will visit DVC without the parks, then the standalone resorts will become more popular because:

:earsboy: Lower points
:earsboy: Less crowded
:earsboy: Convenient parking -- more like true "home"
:earsboy: Larger units (at OKW)
:earsboy: I'm sure Richyams would have more ideas here

Finally, I never anticipated we would be using the beach resorts. Now we're taking our second trip in a year to HH. And looking forward to it as much as I would be WDW, maybe more. Based on ME, I predict those resorts will become more popular, too.

I LOVE BWV, BCV (haven't done VWL -- yet). Don't get me wrong. I'll be staying at all of them in the future, if I am able to book them. I'm just talking about general trends here.

OneMoreTry says: My assumption is that people like you, who anticipate going to Epcot every year for the next 40 or 50 years, are a minority. Of course, that could be wrong. I guess we all assume our preference is the most common.
I also was not in total agreement with Crisi's statement, but I figured to each his own because I do believe that everyone feels their perspective/preference is the most common (myself included). It's a never winning debate.
But, personally, and I realize I'm just one small speck of DVC & my viewpoints probably don't amount to a hill 'o beans, but I see my dh and I just hanging out at OKW and SSR to escape the cold, frigid winters of the northeast in the Jan/Feb time period (if we don't end up moving somewhere warm instead !). Now we're only 40 & 42, so we're a bit of a way off from retirement, but I'm looking long-term into the future. The other thing I see us doing is bringing our grandkids down (hopefully this will be way down the line as my kids are only 12, 14 & 18 !). The future grandkids won't be ready for Epcot until they get older so I don't see this as a major destination for us. Also, I totally see DD as a mature place with plenty of entertainment and dining options (at least just as much, if not more, than the BW area) for adults to enjoy.

I have my low points BW Standard view. Lower than SSR.

I've never noticed any resort to be overly crowded mid day when everyone is at the parks - except perhaps the pools, and I think the SSR/OKW theme pools will be every bit as crowded. Actually, I've never noticed resorts to be crowded - except the food court at the Mods or the pools. The BW can be noisy, but not if you are on the other end of the resort from the action. VWL is quiet and peaceful and everyone says that the BCVs are the same (haven't been).

We don't drive at Disney - and certainly won't when we are older.

If I'm going to WDW to spend time in my room, I'll sell the contract. If I don't go to the parks, I'll be by the pool, at the golf course. Room size isn't a big issue when we are older, not spending time in the room, and its two of us. In fact, if I'm not going to the parks or golfing fairly extensively, I'll sell the contract. DVC is too expensive a timeshare simply to use it to get out of a Minnesota winter.

(I suspect that the Disney addicts here are a minority, and that most people will own the contract while their kids are "Disney age" then sell it - and the average contract will change hands three times over its life. There will be people who hang onto it to use it for grandkids, but they'll still be going to parks.)

Futhermore, as I age I become more a creature of habit. Once I establish the habit of using my home resort, switching doesn't seem like its going to be that attractive. We see ourselves falling into the pattern already - we talk about switching resorts, but the bother isn't worth it.

YMMV.

crisi said:
I have my low points BW Standard view. Lower than SSR.

I've never noticed any resort to be overly crowded mid day when everyone is at the parks - except perhaps the pools, and I think the SSR/OKW theme pools will be every bit as crowded. Actually, I've never noticed resorts to be crowded - except the food court at the Mods or the pools. The BW can be noisy, but not if you are on the other end of the resort from the action. VWL is quiet and peaceful and everyone says that the BCVs are the same (haven't been).

We don't drive at Disney - and certainly won't when we are older.

If I'm going to WDW to spend time in my room, I'll sell the contract. If I don't go to the parks, I'll be by the pool, at the golf course. Room size isn't a big issue when we are older, not spending time in the room, and its two of us. In fact, if I'm not going to the parks or golfing fairly extensively, I'll sell the contract. DVC is too expensive a timeshare simply to use it to get out of a Minnesota winter.

(I suspect that the Disney addicts here are a minority, and that most people will own the contract while their kids are "Disney age" then sell it - and the average contract will change hands three times over its life. There will be people who hang onto it to use it for grandkids, but they'll still be going to parks.)

Futhermore, as I age I become more a creature of habit. Once I establish the habit of using my home resort, switching doesn't seem like its going to be that attractive. We see ourselves falling into the pattern already - we talk about switching resorts, but the bother isn't worth it.

YMMV.
I agree with a lot of what you say, Crisi, except for the part about selling when there are no kids or grandkids. Our "kids" are in their 30's and there are no grandkids, so If we take any families with kids, it will be friends etc. We love just going by ourselves and truely enjoy sitting in the parks and taking time to "smell the roses" so to speak.

We too have certainly fallen into a pattern of always using our home. It's just too easy, and too predictable, and too much hassle to spend more points to stay at another place.

dianeschlicht said:
I agree with a lot of what you say, Crisi, except for the part about selling when there are no kids or grandkids. Our "kids" are in their 30's and there are no grandkids, so If we take any families with kids, it will be friends etc. We love just going by ourselves and truely enjoy sitting in the parks and taking time to "smell the roses" so to speak.

We too have certainly fallen into a pattern of always using our home. It's just too easy, and too predictable, and too much hassle to spend more points to stay at another place.

I am in my 30's, have no kids, and am a Disney addict. I did this for me. Yes, hopefully I'll have kids before I'm too old to, but buying into DVC was for me, not necessarily for future generations. As Diane says, taking time to smell the roses.
Crisi,
I must be in the minority, because I am a Disney addict. I can't imagine me plunking down all this $$ if I wasn't.

I, for one, never said we'd just stay in our room at OKW. I'll be out and about enjoying the warmth and sun of Orlando. There are many ways to simply just enjoy the resorts themselves. I love to swim. We love the area. Maybe taking drives to the beach......doing the disney parks (but not as much as we do now---if we're retired) & visiting DD. But I always anticipate wanting to be close to disney, just don't think the parks will be as HUGE a draw as they are now as when we're 60-65, but we will still visit them (just on a MUCH slower pace ! :teeth: ). Once the grandkids come (waaaay down the line !!!), then I see us doing the parks more often again. But sell my DVC ? Never. Regardless of how much we decide to visit the theme parks, we won't sell. We enjoy being in WDW too much for that and want our kids/grandkids to be able to enjoy all this as well. So we'll def be keeping both our DVC and Vistana timeshares (unless some major financial difficulty befalls us) . We, personally, don't consider our DVC too much of a price to escape the PA winters (and enjoy WDW) when we're older.
I must be in the minority, because I am a Disney addict. I can't imagine me plunking down all this $$ if I wasn't.
Add us here as well ! :wave:

dianeschlicht said:

Oh, yeah, no doubt. But we know Disboarders are somewhat atypical. All I'm saying is that I suspect (and I don't know) that the "typical" DVC owner patterns won't match the patterns of the Disney addicts here. That most people choose DVC for the parks, and if the parks aren't a big draw any longer, the lower dues at another timeshare and any remaining resale value on their contract will be attractive.

Once again, its a numbers game - because SSR and OKW are so big compared to BCV/VWL and to a lesser extent BWV - there have to proporationally be so many more people who want them for the balance to exist. SSR has to be eight times as popular as VWL. While SSR has its attractions, I don't see them as being eight times as attractive to the overall member population at any point in the term of the contract.

That most people choose DVC for the parks, and if the parks aren't a big draw any longer, the lower dues at another timeshare and any remaining resale value on their contract will be attractive.
I agree with this somewhat Crisi, but I think DVC transforms itself for many down the line......I do agree that most people bought DVC in order to visit the parks and stay onsite with great accomodations for an essentially fixed price (point-wise).
But as the DVC population buying now (and who bought in the last 10 years) ages, I feel their priorities and want they want out of their DVC will also transform, rather than feeling they should just sell their ownership. An aging population might not want to hit the parks as often, but I still feel they'll want to use their DVC accomodations. Maybe they'll golf more, do more fine dining etc. But I don't necessarily feel that when all of us age, we'll feel we don't want to stay in our DVC accomodations any longer ? I still think, by retirement time, all the DVC Members will figure their loan is paid off and all they have left is the dues. I do agree Orlando-based timeshare do have higher dues, but I don't see people selling off en mass to purchase lower dues timeshares. I know it would be tough for us to part with our DVC.

From a personal perspective, we bought DVC because we are disney nuts. DVC works best for people who vacation in WDW once a year (or more often if lucky), but no less than every other year. We knew we'd want to come to Orlando, Fl and WDW at least yearly. So I feel there's at least a good chunk of Members who are also disney nuts and planned this way as well ? And like you said Crisi (and I agree) the DIS people may be atypical.....but I guess time will tell. There sure is gonna be alot of points on the resale market if your suspicions come true. Wonder what those points will be worth 20 years down the line ? :3dglasses

I am not disagreeing that all resorts will probably become harder to get into as time passes (even certain accomidations at SSR and OKW will continue to get harder to book) at the 7 month window, but I think us DISers are not going to be the ones effected as much.

My non scientific poll ( http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=801950 ) shows that a very LARGE majority of us book quite early, but also many change their plans at 7 months - based on comments in the thread.

The numbers ARE the numbers (when it comes to numer of membership points sold at each resort), but how it effects us is the real issue here and if most of us continue to be consumate planners, I dont think this is going to impact DVC as much as many are concerned about.

On the changing face of DVC members and what they want and expect from their memberships, I can tell you that we have MANY years with growing children and even though they are small now, I am not concerned with being "closer" to MK or other parks. After the children are worn out on MK, the draw of DTD and Disney Quest will probably keep us at SSR. Hubby and I are looking forward to some alone time there as well. We also love the beach and are trying to decide if we should be buying MORE points to go to the beach or just waiting a year or two and going when the pull to be AT WDW is not so strong. Also, while it might not be the best investment value, trading WILL happen for us, especially in the years between our own children and grandchildren. Selling might happen, but right now, I don't see it in our future at all!

Also, while it might not be the best investment value, trading WILL happen for us, especially in the years between our own children and grandchildren.
And I wonder if more people who have plans like this might even make it a little easier to secure ressies at the smaller DVC resorts for others or do unused disney resort points get turned over to cash ressies ?

MiaSRN62 said:
And I wonder if more people who have plans like this might even make it a little easier to secure ressies at the smaller DVC resorts for others or do unused disney resort points get turned over to cash ressies ?

It will help someone. Heres my example: In 2 years we plan to trade out to Cancun instead of BCV for a Senior Trip. I assume in that case just another BCV owner will benefit and grab that "open slot" between 11 and 7 months. But there may be some lower season examples that it may help more. Not sure where my "traded" BCV points will go though? Does anyone know?

:earsboy: Crisi, OKW is a preference. Kind of like beets. I love them. I do not like shrimp. I could write a dissertation on why but if you don't have taste buds like mine you'll not understand the reasons. I'm not trying to convince YOU to stay anywhere. I'm just saying that as members age preference will swing a little toward OKW. I wouldn't try to say it will be as hard to get as BWV or BCV or VWL. I'm sure those will always be premium properties.

:earsboy: Regarding room size: it doesn't make a difference to everyone. It does to us with 5 kids. Have you ever stayed in a 2BR at OKW for a week? You ought to try that with 7 people and then at another resort.

:earsboy: To me, the quiet feel of OKW is similar to that of BWV and BCV at about 7am. That's the time I enjoy the Boardwalk most.

I thought it was quite a lovely resort and beautifully decorated.

Good thing there are a selection of resorts. One is bound to tickle your fancy. :goodvibes

OneMoreTry said:
:earsboy: Crisi, OKW is a preference. Kind of like beets. I love them. I do not like shrimp. I could write a dissertation on why but if you don't have taste buds like mine you'll not understand the reasons. I'm not trying to convince YOU to stay anywhere. I'm just saying that as members age preference will swing a little toward OKW. I wouldn't try to say it will be as hard to get as BWV or BCV or VWL. I'm sure those will always be premium properties.

:earsboy: Regarding room size: it doesn't make a difference to everyone. It does to us with 5 kids. Have you ever stayed in a 2BR at OKW for a week? You ought to try that with 7 people and then at another resort.

:earsboy: To me, the quiet feel of OKW is similar to that of BWV and BCV at about 7am. That's the time I enjoy the Boardwalk most.

Oh, I know all of that. I'm not saying that anyone who likes OKW or SSR is out of their minds and wrong. They are lovely resorts and I know that they are LOTS of peoples favorite resorts for very good reasons. However, we are talking numbers here. I'm waiting for someone to convince me that for every one person asking MS to book VWL when they are older (or younger, or in the year 2021, or whatever conditions you'd like to set), eight will want SSR. I don't find parking in front of your unit to be that persuasive. I almost find the "bigger units/lower points" at OKW to be pursuasive, or at least was enough of a draw not to skew the system - but 800+ more SSR units that have only "somewhat" lower points and the same sized rooms - not eight times more appealing.

I'd buy "for every three people wanting the smaller resorts, four will want the larger resorts" and that they would be more popular -- but that proportion leaves us with imbalace.

And, as has been said, the imbalance is not a horrible thing for most of us. We know how to game the system, or we've bought where we want to stay, so we are less likely to be caught in the "but my guide told me I could try any resort. I know its June, but I want BCVs for Food and Wine -- what do you mean its booked! I demand to speak to your supervisor" trap. I just feel sorry for the MS CMs, who are going to put up with a lot more of that.

crisi said:
Oh, I know all of that. I'm not saying that anyone who likes OKW or SSR is out of their minds and wrong. They are lovely resorts and I know that they are LOTS of peoples favorite resorts for very good reasons. However, we are talking numbers here. I'm waiting for someone to convince me that for every one person asking MS to book VWL when they are older (or younger, or in the year 2021, or whatever conditions you'd like to set), eight will want SSR. I don't find parking in front of your unit to be that persuasive. I almost find the "bigger units/lower points" at OKW to be pursuasive, or at least was enough of a draw not to skew the system - but 800+ more SSR units that have only "somewhat" lower points and the same sized rooms - not eight times more appealing.

I'd buy "for every three people wanting the smaller resorts, four will want the larger resorts" and that they would be more popular -- but that proportion leaves us with imbalace.

And, as has been said, the imbalance is not a horrible thing for most of us. We know how to game the system, or we've bought where we want to stay, so we are less likely to be caught in the "but my guide told me I could try any resort. I know its June, but I want BCVs for Food and Wine -- what do you mean its booked! I demand to speak to your supervisor" trap. I just feel sorry for the MS CMs, who are going to put up with a lot more of that.

Crisi,
Good points. Maybe DVC will have a real time online reservation system by then and the CMs will be largely saved from your last scenario :)

facebook twitter