Dissapointed with SSR

agotta

<font color=red>WISH Biggest Loser/Red Team</font>
It was all right, but not WOW. I guess there was just something missing. We had a beautiful view of DTD, but other than that, blah!

It is a beautiful, peaceful resort but we had the same feeling. My husband didnt really care for the large size of the resort. In my family, all 3 of us have different favorite DVC resorts, guess it boils down to personal preference.

I am glad I am not the only one. I love Boardwalk and dh just kinda yawns at that. SSR will not be on my list for future visits.

agotta said:
It was all right, but not WOW. I guess there was just something missing. We had a beautiful view of DTD, but other than that, blah!

We checked in and stayed one night then asked if we could kindly move to OKW. We thought it was ok too, but of all the DVC resorts, we like it the least. We didn't like the long cement corridors without a rug or a carpet. We thought it looked like a motel. I sometimes cannot decide which resort I like best after I stay at a new one but this time we knew it wasn't SSR. All the others are our favorites for one reason or another, but so far, this is not the case with SSR.

We purchased SSR but have yet to stay there. We always book it 11 months out then try to switch to one of the others. Our reasoning is that we will pretty much ALWAYS be able to stay there if we want but the others are harder with only a 7 month window. So far we've been to OKW and BWV and loved them both. Rooms are better at OKW but the location of BWV is awesome!!

Has anyone been to SSR that actually liked it?

lol there have been TONS of people that go there and have liked it.

I think the main difference is your vacationing style. If you are the type that likes lots of service and the hotel feel, I don't see it making you happy. If you don't like to cook and want several eating options RIGHT THERE, then its not going to be your style either (although DTD is superclose by - for some, its too far). OKW and SSR are obviously more of the condo style which fits my family best. We have small children and I feel less like they might disturb someone else in this type of atmosphere, plus, I grew up renting beach houses for our summer vacations and am used to the "detached" feeling. I enjoy the other resorts as well (more traditional hotels) and am one of those SSRers that is trying them all out as time goes by.

For every negative, there are probably hundreds of positives that don't get reported. The positive "wow - that was fantastic!" reports don't spend much time on the front page but lots of people like to comment on the negative ones (more interesting I think).

Viva la difference!!! I am glad you all have other resorts that make you happy :) Its what makes DVC work!

lllovell said:
OKW and SSR are obviously more of the condo style which fits my family best.
We like the townhouse feeling of OKW too, but I disagree that SSR is the same style. When we stayed there, I thought it was too much like a hotel/motel and not nearly as much like a vacation home as OKW is. I did think it was nicely appointed and very quiet, but it made me long for my down and out OKW unit.

Hee hee hee.

Nope, nobody likes it. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along to another resort. :rotfl2:

DW and I have stayed at SSR twice so far, with another trip next week, and we love it! We wouldn't spend our 25th wedding anniversary any where else but our SSR&S home!

We love the spread out feeling; after spending most of our vacation lives in mega-multi-story hotels with loooong indoor hallways, elevators that make 10 stops before our floor and crazy.nuzty lobbies, we love the style and layout of SSR. Of course, we're pretty low-maintenance folks - I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we've ordered room service on vacation (and two of those would be Pizza @ POR ::hee:: ). Also, there's nothing like opening up your room door and getting a breath of fresh air instead of the smoky smells of last night's dinners....

To the OP - what was it that was missing? Always curious to hear another thoughtful take on our home resort.

Be well!

Us too. SSR was just not our cup of tea. We just got back from our first trip "home" to the BCVs, and we really made the right decision buying in there, rather than SSR.

We went and toured the SSR property while we were there, and it really felt way to big, way to quiet, way to stuffy (room decor), and way too apartment/condo'ish. Again, it just wasn't for us. But I do know lots of folks love it.

I am just glad we can now stop wondering if we chose the correct "home" resort, especially since SSR had those extra years. The wondering is definetly over. BCV all the way :cloud9:

P.S. We also toured OKW and the VWL. We had seen BWV before. We liked OKW and would stay there to save points or with a large group. VLW were really well themed, but too dark for DS #1 - he said, "Let's get out of here." I must admit they were a little dark and opressive feeling to me too, but I could see how they'd be great for Christmas or during the winter. BWV are nicely themed, but to hustly bustly to suit me after a busy day in the parks. Yep, BCV for me :)

We were not really impressed with SSR but the way I see it is "different strokes for different folks".

Not everyone would like the SSR, but having said that not everyone would like the VWL and all the others.

The SSR is very large and felt very traditional and not as relaxed as I like to feel on vacation. However, some people would really love this feel and not like the feel of staying in a log cabin either.

I honestly think all the construction does not help give you that comfortable feel either.

It just felt big and empty. I love boardwalk and the feel that something is always going on. I didn't care for the outdoor pool and I felt the themeing of the pool was done poorly. It was nice, but nothing to get excited about overall. :confused3

While I have yet to stay at SSR, we did tour the resort. I really liked the architecture and landscaping. We also liked the Community Hall and swimming pool. We plan to stay there in the future. Our home is the BCV - we like the parking, decor, and location. Sandie

Ranks at the bottom of our list too. Main pool is to small. Had DVC designed the rooms differently (or at least bigger), it may have had more of a draw for us. It absolutely makes us glad we bought at the three smallest DVC resorts. They will be difficult to get at 7 months once everyone has stayed at SSR. Called a couple of days ago to check on availability for a quick summer trip...only avalability at SSR...our plans are on hold for now.

Several perfect examples of not liking a resort being different than bashing it. In some ways SSR and OKW are similar and in others they are different. OKW is my first choice and SSR my last but BCV is my next to last choice and BWV my second choice (and that includes the off site options). Obviously much of this is subjective for all of us, and that is OK.

We have also stayed at SSR twice and will be back in May and Oct. We have had enough of hotels and closed-in hallways.We enjoy a quiet place to relax and enjoy the pool the sunshine and not always going to the parks.The view is great.The walk to DTD no more than 5-8mins. For us its not about doing something all the time it is after all a vacation.Time to relax a little.And SSR is a great place for all of this.

We hope to try SSR this January. Hard to compare without trying it, but we have stayed at the old Disney Institute Villas (what was original to the SSR site) and enjoyed the location very much.

Agree that each resort (DVC and non-DVC alike) will appeal to certain guests more than others. For some it may be the price, some the theming, some the location, some the amenities, etc. Thank goodness for variety!

We have our favorites, but have enjoyed every WDW stay. We found something nice about every resort we have tried.

Thank you for your post---my DH and I sound like the same kinds of folks that you and yours are---personally, I have read so many "love it-hate it" posts that I am on borderline panic mode! We bought in to SSR---sight unseen, and I can only hope that we've done the right thing---again, thanks for the post!

The more that people complain, the easier it is for me to get a room, it's a place to relax and sleep.

The more that people complain, the easier it is for me to get a room, it's a place to relax and sleep.​

We love it. We've been twice and we're going again this summer. It does seem a bit empty, but that's OK with us. If it's hustle-bustle you want, SSR isn't the place to find it. If you want a peaceful setting with close proximity to DTD, then you should try SSR.

facebook twitter