Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a standard room Club Level booked for June, my only request is for bunk beds as my DS is 2 and DD 15. Never stayed Club level at WL before. Is the standard room allocation for Club level guests allocated the same as a standard room for Non Club Level guests ? Is there a specific floor you are given for Club level even though you have a standard room ? Hope that makes sense !!

I am on touring plans and not sure if it worth selecting a room request to be faxed ?

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand your first question about CL standard rooms allocated the same as non-CL rooms?

All standard CL rooms (other than the Deluxe Rooms) are on the 7th floor, which is the top floor.

Does that help?

If you'd rather not use Bell Services, I'd unload everything at the porte cochere, you wait with your child and the bags while your husband parks, and then you and he take everything together. If that's not possible, you or he will just need to go back out to the car for a second/multiple trip. In my experience it's not a bad walk, unlike at the Gf!
When I use Bell Services, I tip $2 per bag.

Thank you! I will go the route of using Bell services then, how much would you normally tip them?
Depending on how many bags you have, a couple of dollars per bag. We often take one load with us up to the room and leave the rest for bell services to bring.

They will deliver to the DVC rooms, too?
Absolutely.

I have a logistical question. We will be driving to Wilderness Lodge, and we will have a kid in a stroller. My plan was to get as much in as we can initially, and then send my DH back out for the rest while I keep the kid in the room and start unpacking. It might take him more than one trip out to the car to get everything though. if he goes out and gets some stuff, will bell services hold it for him inside the door so he can go get the rest and have it all brought up together?
Yes, they will, though I agree with DizDaD7--just have them haul it for you.

Thanks! Are the 3rd & 4th floors in the Studios closed right now? I was looking on Touring Plans to do a Room request and I was looking at higher floor but there aren't many studios on the 5th floor so I was going to request upper floor facing the lake/construction but also close to the elevator, but it is not shown on the map above.

Welcome! I'll log your dates:)

This map is from the Boulder Ridge/VWL chapter of this thread. It shows the room numbers and the views. Some of the villas that directly face toward the Bay Lake/woods area on the east side were/are taken out of inventory during the DVC pool/cabin construction.

Courtesy TheLodgeLady

Thanks! Are the 3rd & 4th floors in the Studios closed right now? I was looking on Touring Plans to do a Room request and I was looking at higher floor but there aren't many studios on the 5th floor so I was going to request upper floor facing the lake/construction but also close to the elevator, but it is not shown on the map above.
If you look at the map it states that the 2nd floor map can be used for 3rd and 4th floor reference. Because basically 2nd-4th the set up is identical, I'm assuming.

Hello everyone. DH is having back issues and will likely have surgery after our trip. We discussed canceling but he is adamant that we still go to Disney. That being said, has anyone ever rented a scooter? Who did you use? Do they deliver to the hotel and will they pick it up when we leave? Thanks for any info you guys could provide. You are an awesome group of people!!!!! ❤

I'm not sure I understand your first question about CL standard rooms allocated the same as non-CL rooms?

All standard CL rooms (other than the Deluxe Rooms) are on the 7th floor, which is the top floor.

Does that help?

It does yes. Thanks. I probably did not phrase that very well. :)

Is it the 7th floor that has the enclosed balconies ?

It does yes. Thanks. I probably did not phrase that very well. :)

Is it the 7th floor that has the enclosed balconies ?

Yes, the 7th floor has the enclosed balconies. Some people don't like them since you can't sit down and see out. That's really the only difference between a standard CL and non-CL room, I'm pretty sure.

Hello everyone. DH is having back issues and will likely have surgery after our trip. We discussed canceling but he is adamant that we still go to Disney. That being said, has anyone ever rented a scooter? Who did you use? Do they deliver to the hotel and will they pick it up when we leave? Thanks for any info you guys could provide. You are an awesome group of people!!!!! ❤
My mom rented twice from Buena Vista Scooters.

We're arriving for our first visit to WL in 12 days (!!!), Jan. 17-24. Can any Lodge veterans confirm for me the best Disney transportation for visiting Fort Wilderness. If the weather is warm enough, I anticipate we'll take advantage of some recreation opportunities there (horses, BBQ, etc).

I know about the boat that leaves WL dock, does it travel to the Contemporary first or directly to the marina at the Fort? I read something about a bus that might travel from the Settlement Depot at the Fort to WL but I'm thinking that might be outdated info.

Once at Fort Wilderness, any color internal bus travels from the Outpost Depot to the Settlement Depot, correct? Thanks in advance for the help!

If you look at the map it states that the 2nd floor map can be used for 3rd and 4th floor reference. Because basically 2nd-4th the set up is identical, I'm assuming.
True. Fifth floor is a little different, most especially since the dormer balconies exist up there.

We're arriving for our first visit to WL in 12 days (!!!), Jan. 17-24. Can any Lodge veterans confirm for me the best Disney transportation for visiting Fort Wilderness. If the weather is warm enough, I anticipate we'll take advantage of some recreation opportunities there (horses, BBQ, etc).

I know about the boat that leaves WL dock, does it travel to the Contemporary first or directly to the marina at the Fort? I read something about a bus that might travel from the Settlement Depot at the Fort to WL but I'm thinking that might be outdated info.

Once at Fort Wilderness, any color internal bus travels from the Outpost Depot to the Settlement Depot, correct? Thanks in advance for the help!
I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in, but I wanted to suggest you could also walk to FW along the paved bike path. The distance is just under a mile, and it's a lovely walk often teeming with wildlife (deer, rabbits, turtles, and even a hawk once). We enjoy the relaxing walk, especially when we head over for the excellent breakfast buffet.

Yes, the 7th floor has the enclosed balconies. Some people don't like them since you can't sit down and see out. That's really the only difference between a standard CL and non-CL room, I'm pretty sure.

That's a pity, I had an enclosed balcony one year when I was given a courtyard view non club level room and really didn't like it. I seem to recall that room was maybe on the 6th floor? I'd probably rather have a room with an open balcony even if it was meant moving down a floor or two.

That's a pity, I had an enclosed balcony one year when I was given a courtyard view non club level room and really didn't like it. I seem to recall that room was maybe on the 6th floor? I'd probably rather have a room with an open balcony even if it was meant moving down a floor or two.

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. I always forget the 7th floor (CL) doesn't extend the whole footprint of the building. Those 6th floor rooms on the "wings" have that same enclosed balcony.

That's one of the downsides of the CL rooms. But on the bright side you have a beutiful new lounge to hang out in!

We stayed at WL 12/28-1/1 and when we were there, half of the boats traveled to CR first and half traveled to FW first. The boat captain always announced which direction the boat would be traveling. We overheard one captain say there was one boat traveling clockwise and one counter-clockwise at that time. Not sure if that is the norm - it was a busy week.

There were also definitely several buses that pulled up at WL that were marked "Fort Wilderness & _______ " (insert park name here) I don't remember what park it was sharing to but I think you could get a bus to FW from the lodge. There were definitely buses at the Settlement at FW that were marked for Wilderness Lodge - we contemplated taking one but decided to use the boats since it was so nice out.

Can't answer about the internal FW buses but the maps at FW bus stops were well marked and easy to read. Their buses were plentiful, frequent, and efficient.

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!

The Epcot bus goes to FW, but always ask the bus driver to be sure that is his route.

All of the internal buses go to the settlement area.

There is a lot of info about ECV rentals in the disABILITIES! thread, including a sticky with lots of info: http://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

I have rented an ECV (scooter) for three trips.

The first time was the first time I had ever used an ECV, so I wanted someone to show me how to use it properly. So I rented from a non-preferred vendor, Walker Mobility. I pre-arranged a time for drop off and pickup. Because they are not a preferred vendor, they have to drop it off to the guest directly. A bit before the pre-arranged time the driver called my cell to let me know he would be there in X minutes. I met them under the porte-couchere at WL. I was shown how to use the scooter and then off I went.

The one thing I did NOT like about that scooter was the mechanics of how you activate it -- you had to use your thumbs and it got pretty painful after a while.

That stay happened to be a split stay with a cruise in the middle. At teh end of the first stay I met up with walker again and returned the ECV. After the cruise, I had arranged to rent an ECV from Buena Vista Scooters, who is a preferred vendor. As a preferred vendor, they drop off the ECV and leave it with Bell Services, which is who you pick it up from; ditto the return at the end of your trip. This arrangement worked MUCH better for us. And, the Bell services CM who retreived the scooter for me also spent a couple minutes making sure I knew how it worked ! :-)

I liked the mechanics of the Buena Vista scooter MUCH better -- no thumb pain !! to activate it you used your hand and you could position your hand multiple ways to do it. So a difference in which part of the hand you are using, as well as a push/pull difference. MASSIVE difference for me because it meant no pain vs lots of pain.

For the subsequent trips we used Buena Vista and will continue to use them. YMMV.

One of the big things with the ECV when using it is that many people are oblivious to your existence. They will walk in front of you, cut you off, nearly collide with you. it happens frequently, though not, IME, constantly. But you always have to be vigilant. And go slow. My sister and I partially solved the problem by her walking a number of feet in front of me, creating a mini buffer zone that held most of the time. Er, I will warn that at least once each rental in the early say half hour I would manage to run into her ankles.... just once... then we adjusted that buffer distance a bit further.... so, er, BE CAREFUL !

In the parks, I would park in an area (e.g. beside TTA) and then do the attractions in that area, deciding what radius from the ECV I could handle walking and what lines I could manage without the ECV. Then come back to the ECV and move further on to another area, park, rinse and repeat. If my sister wanted to do a ride I did not want or coudl not do (eg Space Mountain) I would park the ECV somewhere near it, sit back and read or relax or facebook or whatever. This worked well most of the time. For shows I would usually bring the ECV in -- I like sitting near the back anyway, so it worked out well for us. Plus, usually the entrance and exist are quite far apart, so it was much easier having the ECV with me; plus I got a comfy seat of my own :-)

I brought a cover with me from home which fit the ECV seat very well. It is a waterproof "pack and play"/playyard mattress cover that I got at WalMart. While the one I have is lime green and therefore visible, right now it seems they only have light grey. But still visible. I got it at WalMart in the infant section where they have crib sheets and the like. This served a few purposes. One, I left it on the ECV all the time (I used a couple lengths of paracord tied around the seat top and seat to make sure it stayed in place in the wind). It covered the back and seat of the seat. This meant I had a known clean soft fabric seating surface to be on. Also, when I woudl park it I woudl tip the back of the seat down, but you could still see the cover from a distance, which meant I always knew which was MY scooter. So, comfort and visibility. And, if it got dirty I could just wash it.

Finally, don't leave valuables in the scooter when you are away form it. I have a small backpack from Pacsafe that I use as a day bag for the parks. it fit nicely in the front basket and when I parked the scooter I just grabbed it and brought it with me. The charger I put in a plain bag and left that in the bottom of the basket -- it is heavy !

Parking in the room. I have stayed in Beach Club (garden view), Wilderness Lodge (woods view; courtyard view), and an Art of Animation Little Mermaid room with the scooter. It fit in all of those rooms, though sometimes it took a little creative tetris arranging to do so. Fortunately there are only two of us, which made it much easier. beach Club was a windy maze, but I really liked Wilderness Lodge's hallways -- nice and straight and indoors, even if at times long. At WL the ECV did just fine with the long ramp near Roaring Forks; just go slow. For actually eating at RF, I found it wasier to "parallel" park it along the wall outside RF and just walk inside RF.

Hope this helps.

SW

Thank you so much Starwind!! Your post is full of amazing advice! You mentioned some things I hadn't thought of. DH is not used to being immobile. He's normally a go-go-go kind of guy. I gave him the option to cancel but with this being oldest DS's last high school band trip, he just won't do it. Your advice about parking in a general area is probably what we'll do. He just needs the scooter for long distance walking. Standing is an issue at times too but there's a lot of benches around if needed. This trip will definitely be different. I will be contacting Buena Vista Scooters.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter