Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I'm not in the room now, just noticed it on the way out to the parks. I know it said it was valid until the end of the year, and I'm pretty sure it didn't say what the discount was. I'm guessing I have to call to see what it is. I don't think I have enough posts on her to post a picture of it but I can try to do that when I get back to POFQ.
If you have trouble, I will be checking in tomorrow, so can do it if we get the flyer...

Yes, they was one in both of our rooms. First time I've seen one too. Found it curious with it being the holiday week. I didn't call to see what the rate was

Just back from PORFQ.

Yes, the scraping of the plates is gross! And, the grab and go station right in the middle is very unpleasant looking, takes up room and takes away from the whole look of the food court.

No lines at the freestyle machines, but different ones were broken at different times throughout our stay. Aren't they brand new? Plus, be careful if you get too much ice and have to dump some back. If the ice gets into the mug sensor, you'll have to pick it out before the mug will work. And, the space between the top of the freestyle machine island and the "unfinished float" truly looks unfinished in itself. Something is not right about the way there is unfinished space there. Certainly they could have done something better with it.

The bus station at PORFQ at rush time in the am is crazy! We are Florida residents and go to WDW a lot - including every major holiday weekend. We usually stay at POP Century. I know POP Century is bigger so that is probably the reason for this. But, the way PORFQ has only 2 bus stations for multiple parks, with no distinct lines is not good. There was an argument going on at the HS station one morning between 2 groups of adults (no, not us!!). People were standing there first - but, were back further from where you board. Others passed them right by and went closer to where the bus actually loads (which is very easy to do since there are 2 parks loading at each station and just a gang of people all standing together). Anyway, there was yelling between 2 groups of people loading the same bus and even yelling at the bus driver. POP Century definitely wins with this one - each destination has its own stop with ropes up to keep the line in order. Yes, it is uncovered but at least there is definite order!

We did not have a flyer in our room regarding future discounts.

There were long lines going to Disney Springs at approx 6:00pm by boat. Boats only hold about 35 guests and the wait was long, so if you need to get to DS for ressies around that time, give yourself extra time. We only went over for the drone light show, and DS was totally packed with people - the show only lasted about 5 minutes.

And, maybe others already know this but check-in at 3:00pm is not guaranteed. Check-in can be any where between 3:00-5:00pm.

I know some will disagree and pick my comments apart - but these are only my observations.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing at all. Just gonna point out all the value resorts have individual lines to each park. All the mods and deluxe are the free for all type, no lines or order. No idea why Disney decided that was the way to do them

Otherwise, we've had great bus luck. We've rarely waited at all. One morning, thanksgiving day I think, there were tons waiting. We saw on the monitor that we'd have at least a 10 min wait on a bus so we called for Lyft and got to AK before the bus was even due to arrive

I just read a few peoples reviews of who just got back and what they had to say about the resort. Ours is different from the people who didn't like it or had negative things to say. I will do an honest review here for future French Quarter guest ;-)

We are from South Louisiana (Lafayette). We NEVER eat "Cajun" food outside of Louisiana.....it never pars up. That being said I will tell you about what we ate at Sassagoulas.

1. Beignets: NOT even close to what we have back home but not bad at all. Close enough to get a good enough feel for what a beignet is.

2. Catfish PoBoy: Absoutely awesome. Taste just like back home. I'm picky on Poboy's and this was by far one of the best things I ate while here.

3. Jambalaya: Husband had it. Said it was good again not like back home but they have enough kick to make you think it's better than average. He said he would eat it again to get his fix but it wouldn't be a top pick for him.

4. KingCake: Not bad. Dry but not bad. Wouldn't try it again though.

5. Shrimp and Grits: OH MY GOSH! I have NEVER had better in my entire life. NEVER! I am looking EVERYWHERE for the recipe but this is the best I have ever eaten and my husband will second that. He got it the day after I did and said if it wasn't so much food he would get it again for breakfast. I am still dreaming about this LOL!

The restaurant area was not gaudy at all. It was tastefully decorated. The drink kiosk were in a great place (IMO) because it separted 2 areas. A few of the machines were down a time or two but it wasn't every busy enough to really notice.

The resort is quiet, small and PERFECT for us. We love the feeling of New Orleans and love the horse carriage rides around the resort. The bus stops were never busy when we went although we heard going to MK on Thanksgiving was a nightmare. We opted to always leave about 9-9:30 so maybe that always helped us. We went to Epcot right when it opened and still had no issues with the bus.

We always stay at Coranado Springs and LOVE it there however after staying here we rather the food, the resort and the buses.

The only thing we noticed was that they never did any animal towels. My daughter was excited each night to see what they would have and we never got one made.

Not sure about the discount flyers in rooms we never got any but I think our maid wasn't up to Disney standards that could be why.

We asked for an early check in and I got a text on my phone at 9:30AM our room was ready. I WAS SHOCKED!

Last edited:
Oh yeah I will second what Lucas said about people getting there first and sitting then others coming in line before them. It happened ALOT but we never said anything. We were even in line standing there talking to the people in front of us and a couple with a teen came right in between us. We both just looked at them because a) there was a line easily seen and b) we were talking. LOL. We are easy going people and laugh this stuff off but I can clearly see people getting upset when they have been waiting and people cutting. It seemed to be the norm at the bus stop at this resort for some odd reason (we have never seen that before on our other visits).

I just read a few peoples reviews of who just got back and what they had to say about the resort. Ours is different from the people who didn't like it or had negative things to say. I will do an honest review here for future French Quarter guest ;-)

We are from South Louisiana (Lafayette). We NEVER eat "Cajun" food outside of Louisiana.....it never pars up. That being said I will tell you about what we ate at Sassagoulas.

1. Beignets: NOT even close to what we have back home but not bad at all. Close enough to get a good enough feel for what a beignet is.

2. Catfish PoBoy: Absoutely awesome. Taste just like back home. I'm picky on Poboy's and this was by far one of the best things I ate while here.

3. Jambalaya: Husband had it. Said it was good again not like back home but they have enough kick to make you think it's better than average. He said he would eat it again to get his fix but it wouldn't be a top pick for him.

5. Shrimp and Grits: OH MY GOSH! I have NEVER had better in my entire life. NEVER! I am looking EVERYWHERE for the recipe but this is the best I have ever eaten and my husband will second that. He got it the day after I did and said if it wasn't so much food he would get it again for breakfast. I am still dreaming about this LOL!

The restaurant area was not gaudy at all. It was tastefully decorated. The drink kiosk were in a great place (IMO) because it separted 2 areas. A few of the machines were down a time or two but it wasn't every busy enough to really notice.

The resort is quiet, small and PERFECT for us. We love the feeling of New Orleans and love the horse carriage rides around the resort. The bus stops were never busy when we went although we heard going to MK on Thanksgiving was a nightmare. We opted to always leave about 9-9:30 so maybe that always helped us. We went to Epcot right when it opened and still had no issues with the bus.

We always stay at Coranado Springs and LOVE it there however after staying here we rather the food, the resort and the buses.

The only thing we noticed was that they never did any animal towels. My daughter was excited each night to see what they would have and we never got one made.

Not sure about the discount flyers in rooms we never got any but I think our maid wasn't up to Disney standards that could be why.

We asked for an early check in and I got a text on my phone at 9:30AM our room was ready. I WAS SHOCKED!
Don't know the last time you went but supervisors told staff they were no longer to make towel animals, almost 2 years ago I'm guessing. A few still sneak some in but they aren't supposed to

I have stayed at almost every resort here at Disney, with this stay being the first at POFQ.

I cannot compare the new food court to the old but I can say that of all the resorts I have stayed at, this food court is my least favorite.

The flow is all wrong and it is way understaffed. It is not the food court you would expect at a moderate.

There is not enough space between the food lines and the cashier lines. In peak usage, you can't get around to where you need to be because of the traffic jams the intermingling of the lines causes.

Love the resort! It is beautifully themed and intimate in size but we won't be staying here again because of the food court. It is way too small and poorly designed.

Your last paragraph is a main reason to stay at the resort! I was not a fan of the old menu, so I would opt for the lovely stroll to POR, and use their create your own pastas.. I didn't find it an inconvenience to walk there

Hey there Lafayette! We're originally from NOLA.

I have to agree about the shrimp and grits! Best thing I may have eaten in all of WDW! I wanted to get it again the next night, but dh wanted to try something different. (We got the ribs - should have gotten the shrimp and grits!) I want to find the recipe, too.

Also, the praline (shaped like a Mickey head) tasted like the real thing - just like I make (but haven't in years!). I inhaled it! I could have eaten a few more of them, but not at that price!

Don't know the last time you went but supervisors told staff they were no longer to make towel animals, almost 2 years ago I'm guessing. A few still sneak some in but they aren't supposed to

We just left. We saw a few pictures that people posted that they had towels made. I never realized they went away with that. We went last year and we had one made every night. I wonder why they don't want them to do it anymore?

Hey there Lafayette! We're originally from NOLA.

I have to agree about the shrimp and grits! Best thing I may have eaten in all of WDW! I wanted to get it again the next night, but dh wanted to try something different. (We got the ribs - should have gotten the shrimp and grits!) I want to find the recipe, too.

Also, the praline (shaped like a Mickey head) tasted like the real thing - just like I make (but haven't in years!). I inhaled it! I could have eaten a few more of them, but not at that price!

My husband eyed the praline FOREVER lol. He should have tried it.

We just left. We saw a few pictures that people posted that they had towels made. I never realized they went away with that. We went last year and we had one made every night. I wonder why they don't want them to do it anymore?
The Internet killed them, like so many other things

People read about them and expected them, complained if they didn't get one. The staff can't take time to make them for everyone so they are told to stop them all

We've been 10 times this year, 4 last. We got 2 folded towel shapes last April, that's it, since the change came down

Maybe it's me, but if I'm sitting back on the benches, I don't consider myself to be "in line" or ahead of anyone else. The people who get in an actual line are "in line" and I can choose to sit or I can choose to get in the line. So the people sitting shouldn't get upset if others walk up later and form an actual line. It's their choice to sit. Sometimes I sit, sometimes I get in the line - just depends on how I feel and how crowded the bus stop is.

I agree that it would be nice if there were some kind of markings or something to make it clear what line is for what park. I try not to head to the parks during rush hour in the morning, just because of the free for all at the moderate resorts (not just POFQ).

We are from South Louisiana (Lafayette). We NEVER eat "Cajun" food outside of Louisiana.....it never pars up.

Just like you never eat TexMex east of the Mississippi or BBQ above the Mason-Dixon line.

Since this is a new recipe it may be hard to find right now but you might check out the shrimp and cheesy grits recipe from Boatwright you can find that online I don't know if it's the same but it made our eyes roll back in our heads it was sooo good

I was shocked when I ate it. I wasn't expecting much at all. I went buy all the stuff today and I am trying to recreate this LOL.

Maybe it's me, but if I'm sitting back on the benches, I don't consider myself to be "in line" or ahead of anyone else. The people who get in an actual line are "in line" and I can choose to sit or I can choose to get in the line. So the people sitting shouldn't get upset if others walk up later and form an actual line. It's their choice to sit. Sometimes I sit, sometimes I get in the line - just depends on how I feel and how crowded the bus stop is.

I agree that it would be nice if there were some kind of markings or something to make it clear what line is for what park. I try not to head to the parks during rush hour in the morning, just because of the free for all at the moderate resorts (not just POFQ).

I agree with this somewhat. I do as you we either sit or stand in line depending on how we feel. I think if you are sitting and see a lot of people come then you should get in line. We always watch the wait times and go from there. We never get upset when people actually do cut we figured we are all on the same bus what could they gain ;-)

I agree with this somewhat. I do as you we either sit or stand in line depending on how we feel. I think if you are sitting and see a lot of people come then you should get in line. We always watch the wait times and go from there. We never get upset when people actually do cut we figured we are all on the same bus what could they gain ;-)

Yeah. The only time I could see saying something is if the bus is full and it's clear there is not room for all parties. Then I'd probably say something to those cutting in line, especially if I'd been there way before they had been.

There are 2 lines (yellow or white) marking where the door of the bus will usually open (when only 1 bus arrives at the waiting area that is set up for 2 parks.) I don't think people realize this. If I'm going to wait in line, that's where I'll stand if no line is obvious. And I'll stand there if there is a big space between those two lines and a group gathering more towards the middle of the bus. I agree that if you're sitting on the benches you are not in line. I wish they had formal queues at every bus stop, like at the Values. It's stressful when you have to deal with cutters.

There are 2 lines (yellow or white) marking where the door of the bus will usually open (when only 1 bus arrives at the waiting area that is set up for 2 parks.) I don't think people realize this. If I'm going to wait in line, that's where I'll stand if no line is obvious. And I'll stand there if there is a big space between those two lines and a group gathering more towards the middle of the bus. I agree that if you're sitting on the benches you are not in line. I wish they had formal queues at every bus stop, like at the Values. It's stressful when you have to deal with cutters.
It's blue lines at FQ and the buses don't always go to them. We have found most of the time they do but not 100%. And they are outside the covered areas for any looking for them. Just keep weakling through the stop and right at the edge you'll see the 2 blue stripes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter