Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Oh yeah I will second what Lucas said about people getting there first and sitting then others coming in line before them. It happened ALOT but we never said anything. We were even in line standing there talking to the people in front of us and a couple with a teen came right in between us. We both just looked at them because a) there was a line easily seen and b) we were talking. LOL. We are easy going people and laugh this stuff off but I can clearly see people getting upset when they have been waiting and people cutting. It seemed to be the norm at the bus stop at this resort for some odd reason (we have never seen that before on our other visits).

I'm in the camp that if you are sitting, you are not in line and therefore cannot be "cut". Walking up in front of someone standing is rude though.

Over all our trips to Disney I've also picked up on the fact that some regions of the world don't seem to hold to the same concept of lines and how to queue as those in the US do. I think that may be part of it. That and there are simply a lot of rude people in the world these days. Seems to be a growing trend

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that if you are sitting, you are not in line and therefore cannot be "cut". Walking up in front of someone standing is rude though.

Given that there are no lines (as buses for several different parks use each station, so there can't be) I wonder what you think the people sitting on the benches in the waiting area are doing there? Just passing the time of day perhaps? Certainly not waiting for a bus apparently...

Andre

That is the problem - there are no "lines." People just gather in the covered bus area that serves 2 destinations. And, when 1 bus comes, things really get all jumbled up as some people waiting for the other bus have to move to let people thru to the 1st bus.

And, if there is a wheelchair getting on, even if the 2nd bus pulls up, you can't board the 2nd bus until the wheelchair and then everybody else boards the 1st bus. That is another delay, that doesn't happen at POP Century because they have a stop for each destination, each with lines (just like the lines at the park bus stops for going back to the resort).

When I'm at a park getting ready to return to the Hotel, and I see people sitting on benches waiting for a bus to pull up, I don't expect those sitting to get in front of me if I stand in line from the get-go. What I assume is that they are tired enough that they are sitting to wait and will decide when to get in line... I guess I apply that to going from the Hotels to the parks. At Port when I'm waiting I assume that if I sit on a bench I'm giving up any space in line, no matter how early I get there to sit. However, I'm a laid back Disney goer and standing on the bus doesn't really matter to me as I'm able to do so. I do think it will become better with time if people get used to forming a line when they see which bus is coming on the monitors... but maybe not. lol

That is the problem - there are no "lines." People just gather in the covered bus area that serves 2 destinations. And, when 1 bus comes, things really get all jumbled up as some people waiting for the other bus have to move to let people thru to the 1st bus.

And, if there is a wheelchair getting on, even if the 2nd bus pulls up, you can't board the 2nd bus until the wheelchair and then everybody else boards the 1st bus. That is another delay, that doesn't happen at POP Century because they have a stop for each destination, each with lines (just like the lines at the park bus stops for going back to the resort).
What you describe happens at all resort bus stops except the values because they are the only ones with lines routed like they have at the parks. If organized queues are important then you have to stay at a value resort.

I agree that the lack of defined lines is a problem, but equally as there ARE no specific lines to wait in, people need to try to apply a first-come basis. Those folks who have waited the longest (and were thus able to find a seat when they arrived at the empty bus stop) should probably be considered as among the first to board, although how you work that out in a crowded bus stop is another question of course. It would be very different if there were kerb-side signs with "Magic Kingdom guests please stand here", etc. As it is, forming a tidy line of people who may (or may not) want to get on the next bus is rather pointless.

Seats at bus stops are there specifically to sit on while you wait for a bus, not to sit on while you think about whether you want to get on a bus.

Andre

Just gonna point out all the value resorts have individual lines to each park. All the mods and deluxe are the free for all type, no lines or order. No idea why Disney decided that was the way to do them

My thought is that the value resorts are newer therefore they learnt from mistakes and built seperate stations. I think they should try and sort out the main stations at the mods though, even just adding one more stop would spread things out better.

I guess we have just been fortunate and never tried to board a bus at a really busy time. We never had an issue at any of the moderates (and even when we were eating dinner at a deluxe and taking the bus back to a park) with people jumping in front and those waiting longer being left behind. Sure there is the occasional kid under 6 that is just too excited and tries to run for the door as soon as the bus stops, but that is so understandable as to be cute. We tend to offer to let people we saw waiting when we arrived to go in front of us. But maybe if we were there during peak times, I would be more selfish...but I hope not.

I guess we have just been fortunate and never tried to board a bus at a really busy time. We never had an issue at any of the moderates (and even when we were eating dinner at a deluxe and taking the bus back to a park) with people jumping in front and those waiting longer being left behind. Sure there is the occasional kid under 6 that is just too excited and tries to run for the door as soon as the bus stops, but that is so understandable as to be cute. We tend to offer to let people we saw waiting when we arrived to go in front of us. But maybe if we were there during peak times, I would be more selfish...but I hope not.
It's never been an issue for us either. We stay out both PO resorts a lot and use the buses as we don't rent a car. I've never been annoyed at the loading of a bus. I'm sure there are people who load out of arrival order, I'm not saying that. Just it's never been an issue, it's never kept me from getting on the bus. That's all that matters to me. I'd still trade all the pluses you get at a mod over an organized bus line at a value

I guess I just don't get the angst. If we arrive early enough to sit, we sit. If we don't get there early to sit, we stand. When the bus turns the corner-so you know what bus it is- we line up. I don't give a hoot about if I am 4th, 12th or 20th, as long as I get on the bus. Now, if we are sitting, and a line starts to build, I will get in line. DH will continue to sit (mobility issues), and join me when the bus gets there. If that is butting in line, I'm sorry, but we have to do what works for us. We're in Disney, we're on vacation, and we're very fortunate to be able to do that.

Yeah, never an issue for us either. If I get to the bus stop and sit down and stay sitting until the bus pulls in, then I fully expect those standing to go in front of me, just like at every single bus stop at the parks. If I want to be sure to get on in a certain amount of time, then I stand. I think it could be solved to some extent by a simple stencil outline spray painted on the curb of where to stand for each park; Castle, Ball, Tree, Theater, for example.

Given that there are no lines (as buses for several different parks use each station, so there can't be) I wonder what you think the people sitting on the benches in the waiting area are doing there? Just passing the time of day perhaps? Certainly not waiting for a bus apparently...

Andre

Have you never seen people form a line? I have many times. And if people are sitting around they certainly are not in line therefore no other guest can "cut" the line by boarding the bus in front of them.

Have you never seen people form a line? I have many times. And if people are sitting around they certainly are not in line therefore no other guest can "cut" the line by boarding the bus in front of them.
Same here. We usually sit and once a line starts forming we will get in it. When we were there in October there was a CM getting people lined up by what bus was coming telling the others going to a seperate park to hang back. She made rush hour a lot easier.

And if people are sitting around they certainly are not in line therefore no other guest can "cut" the line by boarding the bus in front of them.

So what are those seated people doing there at the bus stop I wonder, if not waiting for a bus - counting squirrels perhaps? The fact that there is seating made available in the waiting area means that at least some people are expected to make use of those seats while waiting, rather than having to stand the whole time. Rather the same as waiting at an airport gate - if there are seats available, then you can sit down and wait until such time as your transport is ready for you to board.

Andre

So what are those seated people doing there at the bus stop I wonder, if not waiting for a bus - counting squirrels perhaps? The fact that there is seating made available in the waiting area means that at least some people are expected to make use of those seats while waiting, rather than having to stand the whole time. Rather the same as waiting at an airport gate - if there are seats available, then you can sit down and wait until such time as your transport is ready for you to board.

Andre

As others have said it also depends how busy the stop is. If I was sitting but saw 10+ people forming a line I might give a thought to joining the line. If for some reason (such as at POR with a shared bus) the bus was already almost full and the 10 people lined up only fitted on the bus who is to judge when the people sat down arrived and whether they should board first?

I agree that at quieter times of day, the benches are there to be used, but in those rare times a long line does form I would expect at least one person from the sitting group to join the line, as other posters have suggested.

Andre

Just curious, because it's not a big deal to me either way, but when you are leaving a park and see people at the bus stop sitting on benches right behind the loading area, or sitting on the curb down toward the boats, or sitting on the benches at the Monorail station, and you go stand in line, do you expect those sitting to come get in front of you when the bus shows up? They are obviously waiting on transportation too.

Say there's 50 people at a bus stop, I don't take note of the specific individuals at the Port bus stop that are sitting and commit them to memory to let them get up and board the bus before me... I guess I'm assuming sitting is more important to them than getting on the bus first because if I sit then that's my attitude. If they come get in front of me, I don't mind that either. I think I'm fairly courteous at the parks, I always offer my bus seat to someone else if I'm not injured, so I don't think I'm a jerk in my thought process, but this conversation has shown me how different others can see the same situation even if it seems straight forward.

Andre
Of course they are waiting on the bus. But what is your point? What do you believe should be the proper procedure for those on the benches and for those who are standing to follow when it comes to loading the bus?
Is everyone who comes up to the stop supposed to glance around and see who all was there first so they make sure they don't load before them? I really can't see that happening.
I'm not sure there is any option other than to form a loose line once the bus you want arrives. I'm thinking that it's not a huge issue for most folks since in all my rides I've never seen any hubub over who loads when

If there is a specific queue of more than a few people waiting for something, then of course you should join it if that's where you want to go. However at the Port Orleans bus stops there is no proper queue defined for any of the parks, that's was my point. So when a bus turns up, the people sitting at the bus stop should be considered as having been waiting for the bus like anyone else. Personally I'd prefer it if there were separate defined queues though.

Andre

If there is a specific queue of more than a few people waiting for something, then of course you should join it if that's where you want to go. However at the Port Orleans bus stops there is no proper queue defined for any of the parks, that's was my point. So when a bus turns up, the people sitting at the bus stop should be considered as having been waiting for the bus like anyone else. Personally I'd prefer it if there were separate defined queues though.

Andre

And I totally don't agree with you on either point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter