Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read through the last 120 or so pages of the thread in prep for my fourth stay at Pop in November! I'll be excited to see photos coming out when folks actually are able to get into the renovated rooms. Mostly hoping the renos are done in time for us so that I don't have to drag my coffee machine from home (such is the level of my addiction...lol).

Renovations started earlier this month and will take appox 18 months to complete the whole resort.. It was stated that they are going to start to rent out reno rooms in June. There is no guarantee to get a new room in November.

Just read through the last 120 or so pages of the thread in prep for my fourth stay at Pop in November! I'll be excited to see photos coming out when folks actually are able to get into the renovated rooms. Mostly hoping the renos are done in time for us so that I don't have to drag my coffee machine from home (such is the level of my addiction...lol).

Pop has become our go-to resort simply for the flexibility of using AoA transport and their food court, and for the lake view. I've no desire to stay at AoA but I think, for me, it's because feels too sterile, if that makes sense, and I think the reason is the vegetation. Because the resort is relatively new, the trees haven't filled in the way they have at Pop.

I'm not big on going back to a noisy resort at the end of a day in a noisy park, so I thought I would like moderates better but now, after staying in a few mods, I find I get the same "winddown" feeling by simply avoiding the food court and pool areas and strolling the long way around. I never mind being put as far away from the lobby as possible. As well I usually start the day before my kids are up by walking around the HourGlass Lake...like at Disney you really need more steps!!

Re, the bolded. That is the reason I don't love AoA, too. Without the shade and trees, it just feels way too open and sterile. I hated the walk from the food court to LM section as there were NO trees...it was just wide open and looked unfinished...

I hope November comes quickly for you! We love Pop...this will be our 7th or so stay there? Maybe more?

I don

I just checked in yesterday. 80's and 90's being refurbed now, first rooms will not be rented until June. Requested and got a room close to where I usually stay next to the lobby etc, 1210 in the 50's section

I'm not familiar at all with Disney Resort operations but if this is correct then they will have finished upwards of 1 1/3 buildings and just not be renting them?
I don't get it.
Business wise it seems an odd choice to remove up to 13% of your room inventory just to wait for June.

We'll be at Pop in one week and were wondering if there is hot water availeable in the food court. I was thinking about bringing disposable cups and tea bags from home--could I do that and just get the hot water without paying for it?
This. Is. Life. Changing.

This tea addict thanks you greatly for such a savvy idea!

I'm not familiar at all with Disney Resort operations but if this is correct then they will have finished upwards of 1 1/3 buildings and just not be renting them?
I don't get it.
Business wise it seems an odd choice to remove up to 13% of your room inventory just to wait for June.

This sounds like it is only info from a CM at hotel. We don't know this for a fact.

Re, the bolded. That is the reason I don't love AoA, too. Without the shade and trees, it just feels way too open and sterile. I hated the walk from the food court to LM section as there were NO trees...it was just wide open and looked unfinished...

I hope November comes quickly for you! We love Pop...this will be our 7th or so stay there? Maybe more?

I felt the SAME way about AoA when we stayed at Little Mermaid. The walk was brutal because there were no trees, just barren landscape with no scenery or shade in the scorching sun. And we went in March so not even that hot yet!! Pop is infinitely better in terms of landscaping... In my opinion.

I felt the SAME way about AoA when we stayed at Little Mermaid. The walk was brutal because there were no trees, just barren landscape with no scenery or shade in the scorching sun. And we went in March so not even that hot yet!! Pop is infinitely better in terms of landscaping... In my opinion.

Pop landscaping has had almost a ten year head start so it will be interesting to see if the feel of AoA changes in ten years time for me. I would never have probably clicked in that that is why it feels different to me if it weren't for my morning walks around the Hour Glass Lake (which I highly recommend!).

Pop landscaping has had almost a ten year head start so it will be interesting to see if the feel of AoA changes in ten years time for me. I would never have probably clicked in that that is why it feels different to me if it weren't for my morning walks around the Hour Glass Lake (which I highly recommend!).

I was just going to mention this -- that Pop Century has been open for over 13 years now. I can remember staying there a few months after it opened and there was no shade anywhere. But now, the landscaping is well on it's way to it's full potential/growth. And AoA is on it's way. I see a big difference already in our pictures from our first stay at AoA a few months after it opened; and our most recent stay last summer. I'm sure there will be dramatic growth over the next 10 years.

Staying in June. Trying to get a feel for best room request for our family. I love the idea of the upper floor rooms with lake and possibly fireworks views, but leaning towards driving some or all days so it would be nice to be closer to parking lots. We plan to take midday breaks so my 1 year old (and possibly all of us) can nap. I thought it would be nice to be close to a pool to take our 6 year old during break times but sounds like close to pools can be noisy. I also thought it would be nice to be first floor because of the stroller but also sounds like the upper floors are less noisy?? Where is the kiddie pool located? Is there a playground?

Thoughts?

What are the options for fitting a pack n play in the room? Can it fit next to or at the end of the bed without blocking the walkway?

Any chance the reno'd rooms would work better? We'd still need to use both beds.

Staying in June. Trying to get a feel for best room request for our family. I love the idea of the upper floor rooms with lake and possibly fireworks views, but leaning towards driving some or all days so it would be nice to be closer to parking lots. We plan to take midday breaks so my 1 year old (and possibly all of us) can nap. I thought it would be nice to be close to a pool to take our 6 year old during break times but sounds like close to pools can be noisy. I also thought it would be nice to be first floor because of the stroller but also sounds like the upper floors are less noisy?? Where is the kiddie pool located? Is there a playground?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about being close to parking lots. It really isn't that huge a resort and you'll find all the short cuts to everything by doing some exploring day one. The parking lots basically wrap around the resorts in sort of a U-shape fashion so not matter where you are you should find parking fairly close. One exception to that is if they've got part of the parking lot closed off for all the trucks, etc, they need for working on that side of the resort. Also, IMO, the idea of the fireworks view is a nice bonus but realistically when we have it most of the time we are either still in a park, or so tired we couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to look at it. Mostly upper level fireworks is all you see anyway so perhaps not as spectacular as you might be envisioning. If you think noise might be a problem for your little one napping, or a distraction for your six year old, I'd say stay away from the main pool area (Hippy Dippy), which is where the kiddie pool is as well. I think those might all be preferred rooms so you can avoid it by just booking a standard. I always prefer to stay in an upper level room, not necessarily the highest one, only because our first trip to Pop we found the ground floor level really damp but that was is September after a whole summer of humidity (my SkipBo cards never recovered! Still stuck together like glue!) There is a playground between the 70's building and classic hall...lovely little quiet area actually with lots of trees if it's a hot day. In short, unless anything you have concerns about is a deal breaker, I would say pretty much any area will work for your family. Nothing is really that far once you discover which building to cut through.

What are the options for fitting a pack n play in the room? Can it fit next to or at the end of the bed without blocking the walkway?

Any chance the reno'd rooms would work better? We'd still need to use both beds.

We never had to use a pack n play but, thinking of the room configuration and how we spread out our suitcases, you couldn't put it at the end of a bed but probably on the wall between the dresser and bathroom wall, or move the table over and put it there. I know some folks have tried to put it in the alcove where the sink/closet is but from memory of the space it might be tight but I'm sure someone who has done it will chime in. Don't worry! You'll make it work!

By June, from what the time frame being reported for the renos, chances are you won't have a reno room so wouldn't plan anything around that.

The first refurbished rooms are scheduled to be completed this weekend!! Excited to see pictures and get some answers to questions we have!

Just passed the 3 week mark and nothing I have seen in way of updates or confirmations? Unless I missed something? Between checking for FD info, MVMCP and POP reno - I need at least ONE fact to come out soon before I totally go bonkers

I rebooked for someone yesterday @mikegood2 and I chose to take the 'safe route'.

I booked a completely new offer for them and only once it was booked, the deposit paid and confirmed did I then cancel the first reservation. I prefer the 'better safe than sorry route' and it's also very easy to compare the numbers that way. I write all the details about the initial booking (dates, resort, number of park passes, dining plan, etc) on a separate piece of paper to ensure I'm booking exactly what I want.

I hope this helps and you find are able to save some money today on your upcoming trip!

Thanks @scrappinginontario, we ended up rebooking my room and it saved us about $200. Since I "lost" my free daily quick service meal my brother split the difference with me. They keep their room as it was.

Glad we made the call. The Disney agent we spoke to was great and very helpful. She caught, and fixed a number of mistakes the first agent we spoke to made :cool1: The first agent, who was not good at all, screwed up my area code, and did not put in our request for connecting rooms, even though he was asked and said he did multiple times. She also asked us if we wanted to book our Magical Express, which saved us having to make another call in the future. :thumbsup2

Thanks @scrappinginontario, we ended up rebooking my room and it saved us about $200. Since I "lost" my free daily quick service meal my brother split the difference with me. They keep their room as it was.

Glad we made the call. The Disney agent we spoke to was great and very helpful. She caught, and fixed a number of mistakes the first agent we spoke to made :cool1: The first agent, who was not good at all, screwed up my area code, and did not put in our request for connecting rooms, even though he was asked and said he did multiple times. She also asked us if we wanted to book our Magical Express, which saved us having to make another call in the future. :thumbsup2

FWIW, it may not have all been the first agent's fault. The system has more than once deleted my address, reverted requests to former ones, etc. Not saying he was perfect, but neither is the system.

We were able to move the small table to the spot between the tv cabinet and the bathroom wall, which left more than enough space to put a twin air mattress up against the wall on the other side of the tv cabinet (between it and where the AC unit is). I can post pictures if you need to see how much room there is.

FWIW, it may not have all been the first agent's fault. The system has more than once deleted my address, reverted requests to former ones, etc. Not saying he was perfect, but neither is the system.

Would be willing to give him the benifit of the doubt, but those were his "good" mistakes.

My brother had to rebook our rooms (January) the next day because he complete screwed up our reservations. We booked the "free meal deal", gave us 1 free quick service meal each day and he booked us with the 2 quick service meal deals instead, which added a little over $200 for each of us. My brother questioned him repeatedly, because the cost was to much, but he reassured him it was correct. Was easy enough to correct, but my brother was not happy,

We were able to move the small table to the spot between the tv cabinet and the bathroom wall, which left more than enough space to put a twin air mattress up against the wall on the other side of the tv cabinet (between it and where the AC unit is). I can post pictures if you need to see how much room there is.

This is a really good option but one thing to check out is that the AC vent seems to be aimed at the table area. We had a cot in that area one of our visits and we needed to request extra blankets for that person. I'd feel bad for a little one to sleep in a breeze.

In the past we put a pack n play in the area between the tv cabinet and the wall that backs onto the closet area. This works if you don't need the door (if it exists) into the connecting room.

Thank you! I'd love to see it if it's not too much trouble.

Just passed the 3 week mark and nothing I have seen in way of updates or confirmations? Unless I missed something? Between checking for FD info, MVMCP and POP reno - I need at least ONE fact to come out soon before I totally go bonkers

I am so there with you LOL I am also waiting for southwest to release dates *shakes the computer screen "come on people want to plan give me dates prices and fd dates pleasssee" :):snail: its like they all got together to go at a snails pace. :hourglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!