Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked our first stay at Pop for April 2-8! This will be our first stay at a value and I admit I am a little nervous. We have previously stayed at CR and POR as well as off-site a few times. This trip will be girls only - me, my three daughters (15, 13, and 9), and my mom. My husband and dad both have business trips that week that can't be changed.

I have read the main post of this thread and found it very helpful, but I do still have a few questions:

1) We are booked in a preferred room, but I'm not sure which building to request. I have read that many people don't want to be near the pool because of noise, but I think my girls would enjoy a short walk to the pool. We are all pretty heavy sleepers at night and no need for midday naps. So my question is, how bad is the noise level? I am anticipating just being in the room to sleep. We will spend most of our time in the parks.

2) I see on the map that there are elevators. What is the wait time like? My mom has arthritis and does not do stairs well, so we would need to rely on the elevator if we are on a higher floor (which I would prefer).

3) For anyone who has kids who love to swim and has previously stayed at a mod or deluxe, were your kids happy with the pools at pop?

4) My mom and I both drink coffee in the morning and we will purchase refillable mugs. Is it pretty easy to get in the food court area early in the morning for coffee? This is one thing I did not like about POR - the long walk from our room to the food court.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

1. I'm guessing that since there are 5 of you in your travel party that you have 2 rooms booked. If connecting rooms is important to you, then you should make that your only request. Any of the preferred rooms are going to be a short walk to a pool and the main building/bus stops. Even the rooms in the 70's section where there is no pool will be a quick 1 minute walk to a pool. We've stayed at Pop 3 times but only had a pool view one time. That was at the bowling pin pool. We didn't even notice the noise when we were in our room (though we were on the 4th floor so that may have helped).

2. Never waited more than a minute or two for an elevator.

3. Can't really help you with whether or not the kids will like the pools at Pop after staying at a mod or deluxe as we've always stayed at a value resort. Our kids don't get to do much swimming at home and never in anything more than a standard backyard in-ground pool so all they really care about is if there is water in the pool. If there is, they're happy...and they prefer that the water is clear. :D

4. We aren't coffee drinkers but we do always go to the food court in the morning to fill up our mugs with something. It's a quick trip in and out if you're just getting drinks and with a preferred room, it's a quick walk from the room to the food court. I would recommend having some sort of "caddy" to hold your mugs so that one person can easily go to the food court and fill all of the mugs at once. I use the Double Duty Caddy from Thirty One Gifts. Folds flat for storage but holds 4-6 mugs perfectly.

All of us from ages 5-69 loved the Hippy Dippy pool! The kids really enjoyed the flower showers and the pool activities.:flower1:

The wait for the elevators was very minimal. The longest wait we had was when we would all get in and be talking and then realize we were not moving. We were so excited about all of the fun we were having that we would forget to push the button for our floor. :hyper2: Oops!

Boy, do I miss POP! I think I'm going to have to start planning another trip!

We have (I think) finally narrowed down our number of days, resort, tickets, and dining! Whew! We will be at POP for seven nights in April and my parents have decided to join us as well. Our reservations are separate; they selected a preferred room, while DH and I are both cheap and don't mind walking, so we have a standard room.

I have a general rule of never making room requests at Disney, but I'm wondering if we should do so this time. Is there anywhere that we can request adjoining or nearby rooms? I don't need to be right next to them, but down the hall would be nice. However, I wouldn't want them to get moved to a standard area, since they would like to be near the food court and bus stop. Any ideas?

Are you talking about the rooms you stay in? Pictures please!
I have no pics. I am talking about the rooms you reserve and sleep in. The one we stayed in had some sort of hardwood laminate.

PS Bldg 7(one with Roger Rabbit in front of it)

Last edited:
I have no pics. I am talking about the rooms you reserve and sleep in. The one we stayed in had some sort of hardwood laminate.

Oh awesome!! Hopefully they are making that change all over. It looks so much classier than carpet - and is so much easier to clean!!

I just booked my trip with my boyfriend for May 22-27 :mickeyjum I can hardly contain myself! We ended up booking flight through Jetblue! Do any of you have tips on requesting and getting a king bed room? We only paid for the standard room, but since there are only two of us, the king is definitely preferable. Also, any tips on visiting in May?! Thanks!:stitch:

I just booked my trip with my boyfriend for May 22-27 :mickeyjum I can hardly contain myself! We ended up booking flight through Jetblue! Do any of you have tips on requesting and getting a king bed room? We only paid for the standard room, but since there are only two of us, the king is definitely preferable. Also, any tips on visiting in May?! Thanks!:stitch:

Make a king bed your only request. Call and have it added to your reservation now. It is not available to request online. Every time my husband and I have stayed at Pop (which have been numerous), we booked standard with a king bed request and have gotten it every time. Be warned though, sometimes the king bed room is also handicap accessible which means a roll-in shower and lower bed. We got one of those twice. We didn't mind, but it does take some getting used-to.

We stopped by Walmart and bought a toaster and coffee maker for about $10 each. After our week stay we had no room in our luggage for flight home so left them there. Had cereal, toast, bagels etc. each morning for breakfast. Worked great!

That is pretty interesting news about different flooring other than carpet in the rooms.

That is pretty interesting news about different flooring other than carpet in the rooms.

I'm wondering if they're trying it in a few rooms to see how it goes. I think I would like the look of it. But when my kids were younger I think I would have spent a lot of time wiping up the trail of water from the door to the bathroom when we returned from swimming; wiping up spills; and constantly saying, "Either put your shoes on or take your socks off! No running around (not literally running) in socks -- you'll slip and fall and crack your head open." :D

I was also thinking they might be creating some "allergy friendly" rooms -- non-carpeted rooms would be a big help for people with certain allergies.

I'm wondering if they're trying it in a few rooms to see how it goes. I think I would like the look of it. But when my kids were younger I think I would have spent a lot of time wiping up the trail of water from the door to the bathroom when we returned from swimming; wiping up spills; and constantly saying, "Either put your shoes on or take your socks off! No running around (not literally running) in socks -- you'll slip and fall and crack your head open." :D

I was also thinking they might be creating some "allergy friendly" rooms -- non-carpeted rooms would be a big help for people with certain allergies.
As dirty and gross as carpet can get in a hotel room, I actually like carpet.

I agree. While I would certainly like the look of a non-carpeted floor in the hotel room, I still prefer carpeting...especially with kids.
If they do this across the board for all the rooms, I will have bring a rug with me! I don't mind a hard surface in my living room, bathrooms and kitchen, but I want carpet under my feet when I get out of the bed in the morning:)

My husband and I checked in on Tuesday and are enjoying our experience at Pop. I had called in and requested 70's close to transportation and a quiet location. We also have two back to back reservations and I requested they be linked so we could stay in the same room without having to move. When we checked in we discovered our reservations had been linked originally but then somehow became unlinked so our requested room in the 70's was not available for our entire stay. They made up for it however, by upgrading us from a standard room to a preferred room in the 60's. We're on the opposite side of the pool so the location is nice and quiet as well as being close to the buses and food court. Speaking of the buses, we've had a great experience so far! We've never waited more than 10 minutes and it's usually less than that so we're very happy with the transportation at Pop. We haven't had a meal at the food court yet but we're planning to have dinner there tonight. If anyone has any questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Maybe they are consider
My husband and I checked in on Tuesday and are enjoying our experience at Pop. I had called in and requested 70's close to transportation and a quiet location. We also have two back to back reservations and I requested they be linked so we could stay in the same room without having to move. When we checked in we discovered our reservations had been linked originally but then somehow became unlinked so our requested room in the 70's was not available for our entire stay. They made up for it however, by upgrading us from a standard room to a preferred room in the 60's. We're on the opposite side of the pool so the location is nice and quiet as well as being close to the buses and food court. Speaking of the buses, we've had a great experience so far! We've never waited more than 10 minutes and it's usually less than that so we're very happy with the transportation at Pop. We haven't had a meal at the food court yet but we're planning to have dinner there tonight. If anyone has any questions, I'll try my best to answer.
thanks so much for the update. Let us know about your food court experience. Glad the buses have been good. We will be there in 1 week. Can't wait!!

I agree. While I would certainly like the look of a non-carpeted floor in the hotel room, I still prefer carpeting...especially with kids.
Also, the carpet helps the noise factor. Many years ago I lived where we did not have carpet and we heard every step made above us.

Also, the carpet helps the noise factor. Many years ago I lived where we did not have carpet and we heard every step made above us.

Depends on the flooring and other factors. I stayed in a hotel in Seattle with wood or laminate flooring - it looked super classy, I didn't have to worry about what had been tracked in (or worse) all over the carpet, and I never heard any more "floor noise" than I have in carpeted places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter