Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer we had an incredible vacation at the Polynesian. In April, we went to Disneyland for the first time, stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and had a wonderful time. As special as Disneyland was, I really missed the Poly.

I know what you mean! We enjoy trying different resorts and have had great stays at all the ones we've tried, but I do find myself missing the Poly when we don't stay there.

The good news is, the standard rooms at the Poly are amazing! Many rooms are very close to the pools and the GCH. They are my favourite standard rooms for location at any resort. :)

I agree!

Last December we had a lagoon view and I had requested a balcony. When we checked in we were put on the first floor.....however, when we got to our room, it was amazing! We could easily see the castle and fireworks from our patio, with our bottle of wine was one of the highlights of this trip! Oh, and the Twilight Feast was the icing on the cake!
My best patio/ balcony memories are from poly and Cr /BLT .

None of the other ones do the same for me .

I ❤️ Seven seas lagoon.

View attachment 418317

Not my image

The building far right, bottom corner with laundry facing south. It’s close to bus stop. Yes you can purchase,

I don’t do laundry anymore, you may want to google how but Disney does have an app to find out what machines are available for the property, pretty cool.

Rarotonga would be a good building for hotel, If dvc Pago.

Although accurate, I feel the resort maps make things look bigger/farther than they actually are. The laundry is about a 1 minute walk from the main pool, if that! Here it looks like 1/4 mile away!!

We're traveling with my in-laws in a few weeks, and DH isn't sure they'll want to go to the pool with us in the afternoons. I was trying to brainstorm some alternative/ unique things to do around the resort, and only came up with shopping/ snacking around the monorail loop & renting one of those little boats to explore 7 Seas Lagoon. What other recreational type things can I suggest? I know they have plenty of kids activities throughout the day, but I feel like there has to be more for the adult crowd that I'm not thinking of.

We're traveling with my in-laws in a few weeks, and DH isn't sure they'll want to go to the pool with us in the afternoons. I was trying to brainstorm some alternative/ unique things to do around the resort, and only came up with shopping/ snacking around the monorail loop & renting one of those little boats to explore 7 Seas Lagoon. What other recreational type things can I suggest? I know they have plenty of kids activities throughout the day, but I feel like there has to be more for the adult crowd that I'm not thinking of.
A walk over to Grand Floridian is always nice.

If "in a few weeks" you mean August or September, my best guess it they will want a nap :) Im no spring chicken and the FL heat gets me tired a lot faster than at home, especially with all the walking in the parks. I feel like its wasted vacation time, but without 1 - 2 hours to nap mid day (in the AC/off my feet), I would be asleep at the dinner table. With a quick nap, I am at all the shows at night and EMHs :)

If "in a few weeks" you mean August or September, my best guess it they will want a nap :) Im no spring chicken and the FL heat gets me tired a lot faster than at home, especially with all the walking in the parks. I feel like its wasted vacation time, but without 1 - 2 hours to nap mid day (in the AC/off my feet), I would be asleep at the dinner table. With a quick nap, I am at all the shows at night and EMHs :)

Ditto!! An afternoon nap or rest is a must for us. Especially if it’s really hot. We always rope drop at the parks and give it hell until lunch then head back to the resort for some rest and and a swim. Then it’s back to the parks for the night.

Ditto!! An afternoon nap or rest is a must for us. Especially if it’s really hot. We always rope drop at the parks and give it hell until lunch then head back to the resort for some rest and and a swim. Then it’s back to the parks for the night.
Yes, we're going in August, so cool relaxation/ nap time will probably be welcome! They were a bit sticker shocked by the Poly rates, and since they are only coming for 3 nights, I assume they want to get the most bang for their buck out of their time at Disney, but I always forget how oppressing the summer heat is.

What time of day to the pool crowds typically start to thin out? Last year we spent a couple late nights swimming during fireworks, and those were some of the most magical memories from our trip because the pool was a ghost town. Is it like that most of the evening?

What time of day to the pool crowds typically start to thin out? Last year we spent a couple late nights swimming during fireworks, and those were some of the most magical memories from our trip because the pool was a ghost town. Is it like that most of the evening?

I would say around 4 people start leaving to get ready for dinner. Yes, most evenings you will only find a handful of swimmers at the main pool. Talk about ghost town...Oasis pool at night!

So what does everyone do with their valuables while at the pool? I know, leave them in the room. However, we will most likely need to have a phone b/c we usually aren't all going at the same time. Has there been issues with theft at the pools? Thanks

I bought a $10 lock from target. I am pretty sure this one https://www.target.com/p/master-lock-cable-combo-lock/-/A-14439954

It had a flexible loop. I have a LL bean bag and I was able to hook 2 of the zippers thru it (couldn’t open it by doing that) and looped it around the chair.

Can anyone who has been lately tell me how the monorail is running? My last couple trips to the Poly, the resort monorail was out of service, significantly delayed the majority of our trip. In 2015, I was warned ahead of time about the scheduled maintenance, not only to the resort monorail, but also express. I havent seen anything on the Disney website, so hoping all it well this time around.

Can anyone who has been lately tell me how the monorail is running? My last couple trips to the Poly, the resort monorail was out of service, significantly delayed the majority of our trip. In 2015, I was warned ahead of time about the scheduled maintenance, not only to the resort monorail, but also express. I havent seen anything on the Disney website, so hoping all it well this time around.
It’s been better but be warned with thunder storms that are severe sometimes they “hold”. Also at times they hold to add or take off a rail. That’s usually midday and not rope drop.

Oddly in May there were signs at both poly and Cr that mono was closed but we went up and checked and there WERE running.

I think there was a small problem earlier and they didn’t take signs down.

If going to MK from poly either take boat from poly dock,or walk to TTC and take the ferry. Really those are fun options too.

For those that don’t know they do run buses in the same loop as mono when mono not running. Ask in lobby if needed or at the park .

If going to MK from poly either take boat from poly dock,or walk to TTC and take the ferry. Really those are fun options too.

I dont have great luck with the boats. Always arrive just when they leave and have to wait another 20+ minutes, plus the ride over w/stop at GF. We do walk to the TTC for Epcot..no sense going around the whole loop to swap trains. I do love the ability to take the monorail to MK, which we do frequently even if we are not there for the day, if we get back to the Poly early enough from wherever we are at night, we might run over there for a ride or 2 before closing while everyone is watching the fireworks. Such a disappointment when they are not running.

I dont have great luck with the boats. Always arrive just when they leave and have to wait another 20+ minutes, plus the ride over w/stop at GF. We do walk to the TTC for Epcot..no sense going around the whole loop to swap trains. I do love the ability to take the monorail to MK, which we do frequently even if we are not there for the day, if we get back to the Poly early enough from wherever we are at night, we might run over there for a ride or 2 before closing while everyone is watching the fireworks. Such a disappointment when they are not running.
The monorail was having large blocks of downtime between different beams on different days in 2015 for maintenance/enhancements (whatever they want to call it). It was definitely very annoying!

Nothing like that right now. Just normal day-to-day issues and weather affecting it.

I apologize in advance for the crazy amount of questions I might come up with over the next couple weeks before we leave for our trip. :rolleyes1

-Can we request a wooden high chair for our room on the regular hotel side of the resort? We have the high chair that clips on any table at home, but if I could avoid packing that, it would save a lot of space!

- Can anyone jump in line to see Pluto outside of Ohana in the morning? We had a late breakfast there on our last trip and there wasn't anyone in line for most of our wait to be seated. Just curious if we walk by and see him without a line if we'd be allowed to meet him, or if it is only reserved for people dining at Ohana.

I apologize in advance for the crazy amount of questions I might come up with over the next couple weeks before we leave for our trip. :rolleyes1

-Can we request a wooden high chair for our room on the regular hotel side of the resort? We have the high chair that clips on any table at home, but if I could avoid packing that, it would save a lot of space!

- Can anyone jump in line to see Pluto outside of Ohana in the morning? We had a late breakfast there on our last trip and there wasn't anyone in line for most of our wait to be seated. Just curious if we walk by and see him without a line if we'd be allowed to meet him, or if it is only reserved for people dining at Ohana.
My kids are all grown. I have not seen a high chair in the hall before (like i have seen cribs) so not sure .

However here are some of my strategies with kids.

For really young that can't sit up yet or wiggly ages birth to 1 yr (ish) I would use my stroller.

If big enough to sit on their own good at poly you can have them sit on the sofa and use that endtable. Or use the rolling desk under the stationary desk.

If thats too hard to reach I would put a towel on the end of the bed and the kids sat there and I used either the rolling table or my ironing board. I think the IB was a good height for the bed. They also could watch tv and eat bfast that way. I also put a towel on the board.

Love poly! Hope you have a great trip!

We're headed to stay at the Poly two weeks from today - yay! :flower1: We haven't stayed there in probably six or more years, so there's been a few changes since then with pool refurbs and whatnot so I have a few questions...

On our arrival day, we'll probably get to the resort at about noon, but we're not heading into the parks until the evening. My plan is to head to the Oasis pool and camp there until our room is ready, and get lunch at the Oasis Pool Bar and Grill, which I don't think was there during our last stay? Not sure...Anyway, my thought is to avoid the Lava pool since it would probably be more hectic? I tried to rent one of the patios, but I was too late with that inspiration and they are all booked!

Is there a fair amount of shady spots at the Oasis pool? We could always eat in the restaurant area, since I think they have some outdoor seating...How is the Oasis Pool Bar and Grille? Menu looks fun. I guess we could always try a walk up at Kona Café and pool afterwards if we feel like we are melting upon arrival!

How were the crowds at Poly for the 3rd and 4th? We will be going next year at this time. I saw some FB posts of pictures of areas being fenced off - an area of chairs for club level guests, but what about those other resort guest - did they have a significant amount of beach space fenced off? or was it wall to wall people?

I know we are a year away but the super planner in me wants to have an idea of what to expect as a resort guest.
We checked in on the 4th. It was our first time going on a holiday and our first time staying at the Poly. I was definitely worried about how it would go. Our plan was to avoid parks and just hang out at the resort until the fireworks. We were told we could get our “beach bracelets” at the marina where they would be checking names. When I asked about this at the pool(which was very crowded), a nice cm went and got ours for us but did take down our name and room number. We were not club level and got to the fenced in beach area about 45 minutes before fireworks after dinner at Kona. They were handing out towels to sit on and we got a nice spot to watch. The area did fill up but I’m not sure if anyone had trouble finding a spot. Everyone in front of us stayed seated and watched, so we did too. They absolutely were checking wristbands and there was some arguments with people trying to get in. It wasn’t until it was over that I saw how big the crowd lined up outside the fenced in area was. I’m not sure if they had dinner reservations or just came to see the show. The fireworks were fantastic and I would absolutely do it again. There was not a single first or third floor room available that night so we got a second floor room which was the only bummer, but understandable. The monorail was fantastic and we did not find the rooms run down(2 other things I was worried about after reading reviews). We switched halfway through our trip to AKL and I found it a much more relaxing hotel and pool, so it was a great balance. Enjoy your trip.

Last September we got our pictures taken with Pluto without dining at Ohana. We just walked by around 9am, saw there was no line, and hopped in! Made my older son's day, Pluto is his favorite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter