Disney's "NEW" discount philosophy

We're hoping to see a postcard with a discount code here soon to use for our 2013 summer trip. In case they don't send one, I've booked a discounted deluxe family room at the Swan for just a bit more than we paid for a regular room at the YBC with a 40% discount off rack rates in the past.

It's not simply the cost, but what you get. The first dining plan covered gratuities. The current doesn't. I'm ok with that as it likely leads to better service, but the price didn't decrease. Also, due to the DP, it seems the quality of the 1 entitlement restaurants has declined , now there are $25 pork chops instead of steaks and seafood This impacts those NOT on the DP as well, making a better value prop for going counter service or Signature and watching what you order!

I have no problem with Disney looking to maximize the profitability of their business. But as others have said, as an annual repeat guest- I'll keep my options open. While my preference is to stay on site, if I can stay at the Waldorf Astoria at Bonnet Creek for less than Port Orleans Riverside....I doubt I'll see you onsite!

I'm one who used to stay offsite in a 4 BR house with private screened in pool. We would visit 3 days, and not get park hoppers. The total we would spend for the 7 days of the house, the rental car and the park tickets for our family of 5 would be about $3,300.00. Today, at rack rate, we can get 7 nights at POR using the murphy bed, 3 day park hopper, and use ME and only pay $3,150 for mid August. I have booked out 2013 package at RR, and if a GP discount comes I will apply it. We will bring some bagels that we will toast ourselves for breakfast, and with any extra saved money, I will put it on a Disney Gift Card and use that for QS or TS dining. Since the ME started, it has probably saved most families $300 to $500 per week, which is a discount before the room discounts. Not getting room discounts will definately not stop us from going. :)

I currently have a one bedroom villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek booked for 89.50 per night. I'm a AP holder, so don't need park tickets, am not interested in the DDP, because it's not a value anymore, and had planned on renting a car anyway. Even with the rental car, no way is my trip costing anywhere near $3100.00 (not even close to $2000.00, and I'll be going to the parks every day). As far as DME saving families $300.00-$500 per week, I have never paid even close to that for a rental car.:confused3 Our midsize car this past Sept cost us $125.00 for nine days and our premium car for our Oct/Nov trip cost us $210.00 for nine days. I was down there last May with a friend and she paid $98.00 for a full size car for eight days.:confused3

It's not simply the cost, but what you get. I have no problem with Disney looking to maximize the profitability of their business. But as others have said, as an annual repeat guest- I'll keep my options open. While my preference is to stay on site, if I can stay at the Waldorf Astoria at Bonnet Creek for less than Port Orleans Riverside....I doubt I'll see you onsite!

I agree it's all about what you get. I have no interest in DME as I'd rather have a rental car. I hate waiting for a crowded, standing room only bus and love being able to just jump in the rental car and be where I want to be in just a few minutes. I also like being able to wander offsite to the outlet malls, to pick up a few groceries, Universal, and nicer (but way cheaper) restarants. With them increasing the price but decreasing what you get with the DDP, none of the DDPs are worth it anymore (and believe me, I used to be a big proponent of both the DDP and DXDDP, but not anymore). I can get better meals offsite and save enough money on just my meals to pay for the rental car.:rotfl: As I said above, I currently have a one bedroom villa booked at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for my May trip for just $895.99 for ten nights/eleven days (or $89.50/night). I'm getting alot more room, a balcony, two TVs, fully equipped kitchen, living room, dining area, king size bed, jacuzzi tub, walk in shower, and a washer/dryer at a nicer deluxe resort with nicer pools, nicer pool slides, hot tubs, two lazy rivers, and a mini golf course for ALOT less than I could get even a Value room, much less a Moderate with Disney. Plus I could still use the BC buses to the parks, if I decided not to drive the rental car. I have an AP, but even the AP discounts can't beat the price I got through a third party to rent at Bonnet Creek. One of the renters I asked for a quote, even offered me a two bedroom, for the same price as a one bedroom. I'm getting alot more space at a nicer resort cheaper than I could possibly get at Disney and I'm still physically on property, so am just as close to the parks, if not closer, than alot of the WDW owned resorts. I love the moderates, but think I'll be staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek from now on. Nicer villas, cheaper than a single Value room can't be beat.

Your right, of course, rooms were nowhere near rack rates now either.

Also, back in the 90's you could call every day and get a different offer. We would just keep calling until we got the one we liked. :thumbsup2

That's how we got to stay at YC for $169 per night...

Nowadays, the discounts are uniform and the CM's cannot make you an offer other than the standard one.

Disney might be wise to start a loyalty program... the more stays/visits, the more enticements they offer you

With so many good resorts nearby and hotel loyalty programs becoming more and more lucrative, I expect more people will be staying offsite (free in some cases)

I currently have enough night credits and points to stay 7 nights at a 4* offsite hotel that's 5 minutes away at no cost... am saving points for another year and go 5*

I currently have enough night credits and points to stay 7 nights at a 4* offsite hotel that's 5 minutes away at no cost... am saving points for another year and go 5*

Sweet!

Disney might be wise to start a loyalty program... the more stays/visits, the more enticements they offer you

With so many good resorts nearby and hotel loyalty programs becoming more and more lucrative, I expect more people will be staying offsite (free in some cases)

They kind of do, not that it's the be all end all. I have a Chase Disney Visa card. By making alot of purchases using it, I have saved up enough 'rewards' to pay for our 8 nights at CSR in June. It's the only reason why we're staying on property this visit.

I currently have a one bedroom villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek booked for 89.50 per night. I'm a AP holder, so don't need park tickets, am not interested in the DDP, because it's not a value anymore, and had planned on renting a car anyway. Even with the rental car, no way is my trip costing anywhere near $3100.00 (not even close to $2000.00, and I'll be going to the parks every day). As far as DME saving families $300.00-$500 per week, I have never paid even close to that for a rental car.:confused3 Our midsize car this past Sept cost us $125.00 for nine days and our premium car for our Oct/Nov trip cost us $210.00 for nine days. I was down there last May with a friend and she paid $98.00 for a full size car for eight days.:confused3

I agree it's all about what you get. I have no interest in DME as I'd rather have a rental car. I hate waiting for a crowded, standing room only bus and love being able to just jump in the rental car and be where I want to be in just a few minutes. I also like being able to wander offsite to the outlet malls, to pick up a few groceries, Universal, and nicer (but way cheaper) restarants. With them increasing the price but decreasing what you get with the DDP, none of the DDPs are worth it anymore (and believe me, I used to be a big proponent of both the DDP and DXDDP, but not anymore). I can get better meals offsite and save enough money on just my meals to pay for the rental car.:rotfl: As I said above, I currently have a one bedroom villa booked at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for my May trip for just $895.99 for ten nights/eleven days (or $89.50/night). I'm getting alot more room, a balcony, two TVs, fully equipped kitchen, living room, dining area, king size bed, jacuzzi tub, walk in shower, and a washer/dryer at a nicer deluxe resort with nicer pools, nicer pool slides, hot tubs, two lazy rivers, and a mini golf course for ALOT less than I could get even a Value room, much less a Moderate with Disney. Plus I could still use the BC buses to the parks, if I decided not to drive the rental car. I have an AP, but even the AP discounts can't beat the price I got through a third party to rent at Bonnet Creek. One of the renters I asked for a quote, even offered me a two bedroom, for the same price as a one bedroom. I'm getting alot more space at a nicer resort cheaper than I could possibly get at Disney and I'm still physically on property, so am just as close to the parks, if not closer, than alot of the WDW owned resorts. I love the moderates, but think I'll be staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek from now on. Nicer villas, cheaper than a single Value room can't be beat.

We cannot wait until last minute for discounts this time around. I think I am going to book offsite at WR. How did you get such a good deal on a rental car? it will be the kids and I this go around and my first time renting one. Any tips? I will be arriving at Tampa airport and dropping off at MCO.

It will be interesting to wait and see what happens. We have gone to Disney on-site for 10 days the past two years. We would like to continue to go to Disney, but if there aren't discounts, we will probably look elsewhere instead of going to Disney every year.

Your right, of course, rooms were nowhere near rack rates now either.

True, but then neither were wages. Even considering that wages have been stagnant for a few years now, I can remember having to put just as much effort into saving to go to WDW then as I do now. The first time we stayed on property was in the early 80's in a regular wing room at CR, and food, tickets and room were close to 10 grand for four adults at rack rate (no DDP back then either). We didn't get AP's until 1986, which helped, and then when we became elligible for some discounts, that helped too. But that first trip was full price for everything.

it's interesting - when the passholder discount came out for January I booked AS Music for our dates (9 nights) no problem. I just checked tonight out of curiousity - for 3 people (that's 2 adults and 1 child) they are only offering AoA Suites and POR (that's when requesting a 'value' resort).

I'm surprised at how quickly the discount 'sold out' especially for January. Makes me wonder if they offered less rooms than 'usual'.

I don't know when your dates are, but if they are near the Marathon or MLK weekends, discounts go fast around both of those times. You were smart to book as soon as the discount was released. It's not that the hotels are packed, but that people traveling at those times want the discounts. I'm sure there is still widespread availablility at rack rate.

[QUOTE

I don't know when your dates are, but if they are near the Marathon or MLK weekends, discounts go fast around both of those times. You were smart to book as soon as the discount was released. It's not that the hotels are packed, but that people traveling at those times want the discounts. I'm sure there is still widespread availablility at rack rate.[/QUOTE]

yes, our dates are over the Marathon weekend - Jan 6th - 15th. I wish we could have avoided it but our APs expire on the 25th; we wanted to get in a 10 day trip and really wanted to avoid NYE and MLK weekend so Marathon weekend it is.

you're right that's probably why the discount went quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter