• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's Magical Express!!

Timon

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Just read this over on Deb's site, in case you haven't seen it yet here's some info:

Disney's Magical Express Delivers 'Hassle-Free Travel'
for Disney Hotel Guests

(LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2004) -- Walt Disney World announced an innovative new service today called "Disney's Magical Express" which offers complimentary airport shuttle, luggage delivery and airline check in for Disney hotel guests.

Beginning May 5, 2005, guests of Disney hotels using Disney's Magical Express service can check their bags at their hometown airport, bypass baggage claim at Orlando International Airport (OIA) and board state-of-the-art motor coaches to the Walt Disney World Resort - as their bags "magically" appear in their room upon check in. The round-trip service, which is available and complimentary during Disney's Happiest Celebration on Earth event (which also begins May 5, 2005), is designed to give Disney hotel guests the stress-free vacation they want.

With Disney's Magical Express service, a family of four can save more than $80 (based on round trip shuttle or taxi transportation, plus tip, for two adults and two children).

"We are extremely excited to add Disney's Magical Express to the extensive list of ways we make Disney guests' vacations easier and more enjoyable," said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort. "In essence, this benefit provides a hassle-free experience for our guests from the airport to our hotel room door and back again."

"Disney's Magical Express service will set new standards for convenience, value and comfort for guests traveling between the airport and Walt Disney World Resort," Weiss added. "Orlando International Airport is one of the premiere airports in the world. We believe Disney's Magical Express will not only transform the airport experience for Disney hotel guests, but will further enhance the world-class status of OIA and drive additional visitation to Central Florida."

How Disney's Magical Express service works:

* Disney's Magical Express must be booked at least 10 days prior to arrival through disneyworld.com, Disney Reservation Center by calling 407-W-DISNEY or a travel agent beginning Jan. 2, 2005. The service commences May 5, 2005.

* Guests check their specially-tagged luggage at their departure airport.

* Upon arrival in Orlando, guests bypass airport baggage claim and go directly to the Disney Airport Welcome Center.

* Guests board state-of-the-art motor coaches that take them to their Disney hotel.

* A team of Disney representatives at the airport will pick up guests' luggage and transport it to their hotel room.

Disney's Magical Express service makes guests' return to OIA hassle-free as well. This convenient system lets guests flying with participating airlines avoid airport check-in lines by enabling passengers on domestic flights to check their luggage and receive a boarding pass before ever departing their Disney hotel. As an added benefit, guests with flight departures later in the day no longer have to worry about their luggage after they check out of their hotel. They can simply check their luggage at the Resort Airline Check-in Desk and then enjoy the last day of their stay.

In addition to partners at Orlando International Airport, Walt Disney World developed this innovative service in conjunction with private and public sector leaders including: the Mears Transportation Group, the largest provider of ground transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort; BAGS Inc., the provider and innovator in off-airport passenger check-in services for the hotel, convention, cruise and airline industries; ARINC Incorporated, a leading global provider of technology systems for airports and airlines; the Transportation Security Administration; and airline partners including: American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Song, United Airlines and Ted. Walt Disney World hopes to add other air carriers to the resort airline check-in service in the near future.

Congressman John L. Mica (FL-7), Chairman of the U.S. House Subcommittee on Aviation, called Disney's announcement "welcome news."

"Not only does resort airline check-in provide a convenience for the traveler, it also helps to expedite and improve security checks by reducing congestion during the busiest times," Mica said. "By combining Walt Disney World Resort's destination volume and operational expertise with BAGS' innovative processes and exclusive technology, a new industry model will be established

It sounds to me like it might be another Mears shuttle, with the waits. However, I know Disney was in favour of the rapid transit line from the airport directly to Disney. That of course, is not in effect now.

To be perfectly honest, I am not really comfortable with someone else taking the responsibility of my bags that has all of my belongings in it. What if they forgot a bag, or what if the airlines lost one of my bags - who is responsible? I guess for me, a trip is partly successful when I see all my bags have made it.
It is a good perk though, but with Mears as a supporter, and the horror stories I have heard about Mears, I don't know if this would work for me anyways.
Also, I plan on changing hotels halfway through my trip to accomodate our desires to see other parts of Orlando.
But, that's just me - I can see this working for others.
Jo

Yeah, well I wouldn't use it either as we always rent a car when we go to Orlando, it's so much more convenient for us, so much more freedom. However, I am sure that this would be a great perk to a large family with tons of bags and small kids who always stay on site and use the WDW transportation.

I also feel like I haven't begun my vacation until I see ALL my luggage on that carousel, however there are thousands of people who cruise DCL and get their luggage transferred with them to and from MCO and WDW and the DCL Terminal, it's the same thing, but this is a free service!

And although we as Canadians can't use the check-in perk when we are returning home, that sure would be handy and I would use that if we could!

It's nice to see Disney offering something free and at least trying to do something good, usually you just hear about them taking away the perks we have now.

They use something very similar with guests heading to the cruise line so I imagine they have worked out some of the kinks. I had heard this was in the works. I would use it.

Have any Canadians actually use this? I'm going to continue my vacation from US to Canada (and later on to Asia, but that's another story for another time) and I'd like to use this service to save about US$40 (the price of taking some kind of transportation from ASMu to MCO).

Are they really reliable or should I not risk it?

Kelly Grannell said:
Have any Canadians actually use this? I'm going to continue my vacation from US to Canada (and later on to Asia, but that's another story for another time) and I'd like to use this service to save about US$40 (the price of taking some kind of transportation from ASMu to MCO).

Are they really reliable or should I not risk it?

Hi Kelly,
We just used this in September and had no problems whatsover.

We used it when it first came out in May. We didn't receive our luggage tags until a couple days before our trip but other than that everything was fine. We'll use it again in December. :)

I used it back to the airport but not when we arrived. It looked a little busy when we arrived but I had a car booked for a few days. It worked very well going from POP to MCO.

To those who have used DME:

If you travelled through Toronto via another Canadian city, did you have to pick up your bags in Terminal 2 like you would normally have to do before going through customs??

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter