Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

You have so got to be kidding me!!!! Unreal!!! I feel for y'all, and certainly can't imagine having to endure that. Guess I shouldn't complain about our 35 degree weather....I should probably be thankful. Maybe it won't be as bad as they are forecasting. Keep us posted!

Think Disney.....just think Disney!!!!!

They have already closed the schools for tomorrow, it started snowing here around 8 pm, the last forecast I saw was putting us in the 12" - 18" of heavy wet snow with 20-30 mph winds. I'm not sure if I'll make it into work tomorrow.

To keep my spirits up been working on the Disney plans and finalizing the rest of our camping plans for the season, already have our Acadia National Park Trip in June/July and an August Camping/Jeeping Breast Cancer fundraising event (www.toplessfortatas.com) weekend booked. I should be booking the rest of our trips in the next few weeks (Shenandoah National Park and a bunch of PA and MD state parks).

I have also been working on our Dis Board campsite marker

We are at 40 days too!! Just switched from AOA back to the cabins...

We check in 3/22. We have a preferred site booked, loops 100, 200, & 300 I believe, so we will be on the opposite end of the campground from the cabins.

We landed back in Michigan yesterday. Left the Fort on Monday. We loved it! So many great things, will try to post more later. To all that are getting ready to go, have a blast!!!

37 more days, unfortunately I woke up to mess this morning, about 12" and Storm warning in effect until 6 am tomorrow morning.

To top it off after making the 1.5 hour drive I was one of the few that actually made it into work today only to be told shortly after I got here that we are shutting down for the day and I need to leave. This storm was not a surprise so I have no idea why they couldn't have made this decision before people were scheduled to come in toady.:furious:

Really wish I was at Disney today:(

To keep my spirits up been working on the Disney plans and finalizing the rest of our camping plans for the season, already have our Acadia National Park Trip in June/July and an August Camping/Jeeping Breast Cancer fundraising event (www.toplessfortatas.com) weekend booked. I should be booking the rest of our trips in the next few weeks (Shenandoah National Park and a bunch of PA and MD state parks).

My goodness!! Y'all will have quite the summer! Sounds like fun for sure:yay:

I have also been working on our Dis Board campsite marker

Excellent!!! Very nice! And you know what I thought of when I saw your sign??....Peter Pan and the Lost Boys :laughing:

We check in 3/22. We have a preferred site booked, loops 100, 200, & 300 I believe, so we will be on the opposite end of the campground from the cabins.

Sounds like the perfect location!:thumbsup2 It will be here before you know it.

We landed back in Michigan yesterday. Left the Fort on Monday. We loved it! So many great things, will try to post more later. To all that are getting ready to go, have a blast!!!

Welcome home!!!! :goodvibes Now back to reality :laughing: Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Thanks for posting my dates, Heather.:cool1:

:thumbsup2

37 more days, unfortunately I woke up to mess this morning, about 12" and Storm warning in effect until 6 am tomorrow morning.

WOW!!!:scared1:

To top it off after making the 1.5 hour drive I was one of the few that actually made it into work today only to be told shortly after I got here that we are shutting down for the day and I need to leave. This storm was not a surprise so I have no idea why they couldn't have made this decision before people were scheduled to come in toady.:furious:

Makes no sense at all :confused3 Glad you made it back safely....now you can spend the rest of the day wishing you were at Disney :laughing: and planning some more family fun!

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/paingham/media/WP_20140213_001_zps38d844d5.jpg.html

Luckily, neither my husband or I had to go out in this, that really stinks that you did. Schools are cancelled again tomorrow. Ready for yet another round. You must live in the same storm path as me, 12 inches, more to come tonight, tomorrow night, and Sunday night I think as well.
Next year I think I should go to Disney for the whole month of February! I so wish I had a trip to plan right now. I guess I can't do much for a 2016 trip right now!

My goodness!! Y'all will have quite the summer! Sounds like fun for sure

Excellent!!! Very nice! And you know what I thought of when I saw your sign??....Peter Pan and the Lost Boys :laughing:

I'm lucky and my work schedule lets me have 3 day weekends every other week so usually we are camping once or twice a month between March and November.

We sometimes introduce ourselves to new people as the Pans, helps them remember our names.:)

Luckily, neither my husband or I had to go out in this, that really stinks that you did. Schools are cancelled again tomorrow. Ready for yet another round. You must live in the same storm path as me, 12 inches, more to come tonight, tomorrow night, and Sunday night I think as well.
Next year I think I should go to Disney for the whole month of February! I so wish I had a trip to plan right now. I guess I can't do much for a 2016 trip right now!

We're in Chester County near Oxford, just got the call that school is closed tomorrow. We ended up with 16" here today, seeing anywhere from 6"-14" more tonight then a few more inches on Saturday.:sad2: Planning our upcoming trips is about the only thing keeping me sane right now, so ready for winter to be over.

We're in Chester County near Oxford, just got the call that school is closed tomorrow. We ended up with 16" here today, seeing anywhere from 6"-14" more tonight then a few more inches on Saturday.:sad2: Planning our upcoming trips is about the only thing keeping me sane right now, so ready for winter to be over.

Wow small world we are just below you in Newark De. and pass thru your area a lot on the way camping. Hang in there camping season will be here soon, our 1st 2 weekends are right up the road at Spring Gulch, half price nights about the only way to afford the place.

Okay, I have a few minutes to myself. DD is at school, DS is getting his breakfast. I'm going into work late so I can drive DS to school with his Valentine's box so....

We had a great time. Every resort is going to have pros and cons and those pros and cons will vary by family so for us.

Cons:
Transportation to the parks et al - We had our own car but did take the boat one day to MK. Since there isn't anywhere to park we took the bus to the settlement, walked down to the boat, waited for the boat etc. Wasn't bad in the am but didn't like it in the pm. Also don't like that you can't take a bus directly from the Fort to MK. We didn't have a golf cart.

Food Service - Didn't use our mugs much at all as it wasn't convenient nor did we do any counter service at the Fort for the same reasons

Pros:
Everything else. We figured how to work around the above and would stay again in a heart beat.
List of Pros
Parking right next to the cabin.
Quiet - I could not believe how quiet this place was. Very nice after a busy day in the parks
Space. The amount of space the cabin gave us and the ability for the kids to have a place to go to do homework, watch TV etc was priceless.
The kitchen. We didn't use it much but having the microwave right there and the full fridge was awesome. Putting dishes in the dishwasher and having them clean when we came back
Laundry - Maybe I just lucked out but I do laundry every 2 to 3 days while on vacation and even on the cold rainy day that I thought the laundry room would be packed, it wasn't. I attribute it to there being so many laundry facilities at the Fort vs. 2 at the values, granted there are more machines in the rooms at the values.
Transportation within the resort - I thought the within buses were great. We were in loop 2200 Cabin 2209 so we were only 1 stop from the Wilderness pool where I did my laundry but a couple of times I just didn't want to walk with the laundry so I took the bus. We took a bus to the Meadows trading post and pool and it was great.

Looking forward to our next cabin stay, most likely in 2016. While we will go back next year we will be with family and most likely staying at the Values, but we'll probably get a suite at ASMu (I need to contact my travel agent) We toyed with leaving the family at All Stars and going to a cabin but not sure that would work.

Again, thank you all for your tips. I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's upcoming adventures as they unfold.

Are y'all doing MNSSHP?? Such a great time of year to visit the World!!:thumbsup2

We went last October. We were on a "value trip" this time, so we just had a couple TS ressies & the rest we were winging it. We enjoyed our trip thoroughly, but DH says he's never going during Fall Break again. He thought it was more crowded that our trip in June. We were there during F&W, and I think that was the difference. I don't care when we go, as long as I get to go! We plan to go back June 2015 for DD's 10th birthday & we've invited the grandparents along. We will be staying at ASSports most likely. The only thing on my Bucket List is to stay at all WDW resorts at least once. Two down, many to go!

:thumbsup2 Wouldn't that be nice!!!! Can you imagine??!! How's the weather for y'all??

I'm lucky and my work schedule lets me have 3 day weekends every other week so usually we are camping once or twice a month between March and November.

That really is nice for sure!! We've tossed the idea around about buying a camper...being able to pick up and go for a long weekend sounds awesome! What kind of camper do y'all have? How many does it sleep? I guess my concern is having enough room for our family of 5.

We sometimes introduce ourselves to new people as the Pans, helps them remember our names.:)

:rotfl: Love it!!! Perfect name for y'all!!!

... Hang in there camping season will be here soon, our 1st 2 weekends are right up the road at Spring Gulch, half price nights about the only way to afford the place.

:wave: I'm being nosy ;) Do y'all camp at the Fort?

Okay, I have a few minutes to myself. DD is at school, DS is getting his breakfast. I'm going into work late so I can drive DS to school with his Valentine's box so....

We had a great time. Every resort is going to have pros and cons and those pros and cons will vary by family so for us.

Cons:
Transportation to the parks et al - We had our own car but did take the boat one day to MK. Since there isn't anywhere to park we took the bus to the settlement, walked down to the boat, waited for the boat etc. Wasn't bad in the am but didn't like it in the pm. Also don't like that you can't take a bus directly from the Fort to MK. We didn't have a golf cart.

Food Service - Didn't use our mugs much at all as it wasn't convenient nor did we do any counter service at the Fort for the same reasons

Pros:
Everything else. We figured how to work around the above and would stay again in a heart beat.
List of Pros
Parking right next to the cabin.
Quiet - I could not believe how quiet this place was. Very nice after a busy day in the parks
Space. The amount of space the cabin gave us and the ability for the kids to have a place to go to do homework, watch TV etc was priceless.
The kitchen. We didn't use it much but having the microwave right there and the full fridge was awesome. Putting dishes in the dishwasher and having them clean when we came back
Laundry - Maybe I just lucked out but I do laundry every 2 to 3 days while on vacation and even on the cold rainy day that I thought the laundry room would be packed, it wasn't. I attribute it to there being so many laundry facilities at the Fort vs. 2 at the values, granted there are more machines in the rooms at the values.
Transportation within the resort - I thought the within buses were great. We were in loop 2200 Cabin 2209 so we were only 1 stop from the Wilderness pool where I did my laundry but a couple of times I just didn't want to walk with the laundry so I took the bus. We took a bus to the Meadows trading post and pool and it was great.

Looking forward to our next cabin stay, most likely in 2016. While we will go back next year we will be with family and most likely staying at the Values, but we'll probably get a suite at ASMu (I need to contact my travel agent) We toyed with leaving the family at All Stars and going to a cabin but not sure that would work.

Again, thank you all for your tips. I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's upcoming adventures as they unfold.

:yay: for a mini update about the Fort!!! I can totally see why the refillable mugs wouldn't be a good investment. Probably better to keep sodas in the fridge. Glad the transportation worked for y'all. You hear differing opinions about it. Now you have to start planning your next Disney vacation:thumbsup2 Have you thought about AoA suites? My sister and her family stayed in the ASMu suite over Christmas. While the rooms were super clean and very Disney, it wasn't what they expected as far as suites go. Just her opinion, of course;)

So glad y'all had a great trip and made it home safely!

We went last October. We were on a "value trip" this time, so we just had a couple TS ressies & the rest we were winging it. We enjoyed our trip thoroughly, but DH says he's never going during Fall Break again. He thought it was more crowded that our trip in June. We were there during F&W, and I think that was the difference. I don't care when we go, as long as I get to go! We plan to go back June 2015 for DD's 10th birthday & we've invited the grandparents along. We will be staying at ASSports most likely. The only thing on my Bucket List is to stay at all WDW resorts at least once. Two down, many to go!

:thumbsup2 You have the same goal as me....all resorts at least once! October use to be a great time to visit the World, but since so many schools have Fall break now, unfortunately it's become crowded. We've always enjoyed going the very last week in May or first of June. While there are lots of people there, it isn't unbearable at all.

OMG, Jennifer! How did you find that??!! Love it! Made me laugh! Thanks!

I just feel so bad for everyone up there, especially our friend with the trailer. I hope that snow melts so you don't have to dig it out!

And I can't get warm. I'm literally working on my photos under a comforter with one of those microwave heat packs at my feet. And I know it's winter. But this is just a doozie! I LOVE snow, I get so excited when it comes, but I am ready for some warm days. As is my old dog, Truman. It's in our forecast, thank goodness, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And what did I decide on the golf cart? OH I don't know! It's going to come down to budget. At least I don't have to decide til we get there. I imagine we'll take one for at least part of the trip. I need to book a few more weddings. lol (Anyone out there need a photographer this summer?! I travel! :thumbsup2 ) I am hoping there are lots of proposals happening tonight and they'll all call me next week! I am splurging on a day at Universal. Doing the two parks deal, and so I think to do 2 parks in 1 day, you really need to splurge on the express passes, and well, that takes it to $600 for the 3 of us, plus $60 to get there and back to FW. And while that's totally worth it in my head, it's still $660 on top of the Disney $. Work hard, to play hard, right? :cool1:

Hstrickland,
Yes we do camp at the Fort with our RV and we will be there this summer for 10 days, we ususally will bounce trips between the rv and our DVC so we get the best of both worlds that way. Long trips with the rv and shorter ones flying and DVC units.

That really is nice for sure!! We've tossed the idea around about buying a camper...being able to pick up and go for a long weekend sounds awesome! What kind of camper do y'all have? How many does it sleep? I guess my concern is having enough room for our family of 5.

We have a 2008 Fun Finder X240 that we bought last summer, before that we had an 8' Coleman Taos popup that we loved but we out grew. The Fun Finder works great for us, it has a queen size for us and bunk beds for the boys. It also has a dinette that converts to a bed, it could sleep one adult or two kids.

Woohoo
Headin for the cabin 4/28 to 5/8 for third year running . Can't wait to get out the cart and have a look around.best vacation spot I know of.

We have a 2008 Fun Finder X240 that we bought last summer, before that we had an 8' Coleman Taos popup that we loved but we out grew. The Fun Finder works great for us, it has a queen size for us and bunk beds for the boys. It also has a dinette that converts to a bed, it could sleep one adult or two kids.

Love that camper!

yay: for a mini update about the Fort!!! I can totally see why the refillable mugs wouldn't be a good investment. Probably better to keep sodas in the fridge. Glad the transportation worked for y'all. You hear differing opinions about it. Now you have to start planning your next Disney vacation:thumbsup2 Have you thought about AoA suites? My sister and her family stayed in the ASMu suite over Christmas. While the rooms were super clean and very Disney, it wasn't what they expected as far as suites go. Just her opinion, of course;)

So glad y'all had a great trip and made it home safely!
We had DDP so we had the mugs as part of that. We're used to being able to just hit the food court on the way in and out of the resort during the day. But again, not a big deal for us and having the full fridge was awesome. We kept it stocked with water and ICE (for the kids). It's probably best I didn't have has much access to Diet Coke, my caffeine of choice.

We'll start the planning soon and even if we don't make the Fort for the next trip I'll check in. I love reading everyone's posts.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest