Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

Not sure if this has been posted, but I saw this on the California Grill page on the Disney website:

"California Grill is unavailable for booking after September 30 as we reimagine the dining experience for the 50th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World Resort."

Just what I needed to see with ADR day approaching. Sigh. I wonder why they’re waiting so late to start it. They don’t want to take the Wave and CG offline at the same time?

Gonna be pulling my hair out enough to land Chef Mickey’s as it is…

Just saw that too...so I'm guessing that means it's actually closed on Oct. 1? Seems weird they wouldn't want to allow people to be able to dine and see the fireworks on the actual anniversary.
That does seem weird. Guess they didn’t want the wave and ca grill out of commission at the same time. I think they should’ve switched the refurb order though.

I really love the BLT Community Room - there's tons of stuff to do, the CMs always seem so nice/pleasant, etc. But parent tip - do NOT under any circumstances let your kids do the little bead activity. It's literally the worst arts/craft creation possible and I think was designed by someone as punishment for parents. This bow was nothing - but the princess we did the night before was about 1.5 hours and what felt like thousands of beads in hundreds of colors. And these things are tiny / tough for not wanting to admit they need reading glasses parents. Never again.

(FYI, once you're done, they melt the beads with an iron and it makes a hardened single piece)

Not sure if this has been posted, but I saw this on the California Grill page on the Disney website:

"California Grill is unavailable for booking after September 30 as we reimagine the dining experience for the 50th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World Resort."
I can’t find this. Where is it in the page? Can you link the page?

Interesting....I finally was able to open the California Grill restaurant page that I saw the message on this morning and the red lettered message is gone...weird...perhaps it was just a glitch.

That’s so strange. I couldn’t find it anywhere this evening since I saw your post. Did they change their minds? Very strange.

Are the stores and restaurants on the fourth floor in the main tower are still open? I’ll be at BLT in a few weeks and want to make plans for room provisions. TIA!

I really love the BLT Community Room - there's tons of stuff to do, the CMs always seem so nice/pleasant, etc. But parent tip - do NOT under any circumstances let your kids do the little bead activity. It's literally the worst arts/craft creation possible and I think was designed by someone as punishment for parents. This bow was nothing - but the princess we did the night before was about 1.5 hours and what felt like thousands of beads in hundreds of colors. And these things are tiny / tough for not wanting to admit they need reading glasses parents. Never again.

(FYI, once you're done, they melt the beads with an iron and it makes a hardened single piece)

View attachment 591410
My kids did these all the time! I used to buy the huge jars of beads at Michael's.

The key is to bring a pair of tweezers for them to place the beads. And then don't drop it when you're bringing it to be ironed.

I have been busy this week and forgot to post. I was supposed to be in a std gv room one night alone and then move to the deluxe gv room for 2 nights after when the kids 26,24 arrived. I flew from Wilkesbarre Pa to Dc. Dd picked up Ds and took him home and after work they started driving grandma home to Florida.

I connected in DC and flew to Mco for a well deserved day off BY MYSELF. Lol mil was at my house 6 weeks, then my dd , fiancé, dog for 2 weeks/3 weekends. How much laundry can one mom do? 😂

Literally as I was boarding the plane wdw calls me. Yep the dreaded you have to be moved call. They moved us to Wl in the deluxe room. The room is newer, bigger and has 2 beds and a sleeper the deluxe at CR is a king and a sleeper. CRroom did have 2 showers so I lost that, oh WL deluxe has a balcony. CR only 1sr floor does.

We all agreed we liked the room. We all like the resort and enjoyed Geyser Point. Bus picked up many times for rope drop. 8am start and usually another right after. Side note they hold you at MK until 9am currently.

The problem was transportation the rest of the day, We have done GF,CR.BLT,YC., resorts you can walk to a park for our Covid trips.

We struggled lol. It’s hot and waiting 20 mins knowing you’d be back to the room by now frustrated us.

It was nice I didn’t have to move my room , they gave me wl for 3 nights.

I did boat to MK and walk to CR and ask to be moved to GF. They were fully booked the weekend. They did give me a room credit because I had all of our adr’s on the monorail. I was not happy . At the time I thought our trip was ruined.

Nope it’s Disney. We had a fun weekend, Ds in college has been online and it was nice to see him with people about!

Oh sorry this is long. I used Royal Transportation to get the kids from grandmas to wdw. They showed up in a Tesla. Ds had to admit the doors were cool. As we waited for ME Ds says “mom, WL is my favorite” ! Phew , I was practically in tears Thursday thinking it wouldn’t work out and my hard to please kid? Had a great time afterall🥰

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter