Disneyland to wow a themepark grump

disckobox

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I'm coming over to Disneyland from the UK in a little over a month, trouble is I've got a girlfriend in tow that's not that keen on themeparks.
I think this stems from most the parks in the UK being of the six flags type - little theming, long queues and hardly big on the overall 'experience'. She's a big kid at heart and I'm pretty sure she's gonna fall for Disney, it's just how I "plus" that?

What would you say is a good touring plan or attraction to kick things off in to high gear?

I've been over to WDW 4 times now and loved it more each time, to say I'm ultraexcited about visiting DL for the first time is an understatement!

To me walking through Downtown Disney does it for me. And then seeing the planter in the front. Going in the tunnel.... I could go on forever. What about looking up videos on youtube. There are some good ones.

I would say the first thing is the hotel that might wow her. Try stayin at the Disney Grand Californian hotel. Its a nice hotel but kind of pricing.

My family always heads to New Orleans Square when we first hit DL (typically late afternoon on our 1st day of the trip) and it is what I think of first when I think of what makes DL special.

But, for a first-timer, I would start with Adventureland in the parks. To me it is the part of the park that really stands out in terms of theming. Depending on her style I would probably do Indy first as it has a great queue and is truly Disney experience, but it is a somewhat rough and kinda scary ride for some people. Or, if she is a little more old school, you can't go wrong with Jungle Cruise or the Tiki Room either.

From Adventureland I would then head back to New Orleans Square for POTC and the HM. They are also both amazing queues and I think they really get people into the right frame of mind to have a great vacation.

I would say that understanding that it's more than a theme park might help make it more special.

Therefore, if you are going to be around for a couple days, take her on the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. It's a really nice tour where you wear an audio set and hear Walt describe some of what your are seeing in his own words. That and you have a VIP Guide to give you the rest of the tour.

I think that would really enhance both of your experiences!

It's so much cleaner, better themed, and with (generally) nicer staffing than other theme parks, she may be pleasantly surprised.

If you'd like to avoid long queues, I suggest reading Hydroguy's tips compilation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483 He's got some great strategies for avoiding lines, using FP efficiently, and getting the most out of your stay. You might like the couple of threads on there that are guides to DL for WDW vets-- the differences between the two parks.

Hope she comes around to your point of view, and you have a great trip! :goodvibes

Make sure you take her on the 'game rides' like Buzz Lightyear in DL and espeically Toy Story Midway Mania in DCA. Those require involvement from the riders, so if she is the least bit competitive, that will get her engaged in the experience.

I mean, you will run into long lines/queues, but there is lots and lots of theming everywhere, so there is a lot to look at. Take her into the exclusive to Disneyland Haunted Mansion Holiday with Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, and perhaps by the time you arrive, It's a Small World Holiday will be open, which is glorious to look at at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter