Disneyland to introduce MaxPass (New Fastpass & New Fastpass Attractions) - Now with Poll

Is MaxPass a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 112 62.9%
  • Other (tell us what your other opinion is)

Votes: 23 12.9%

• Total voters
sounds like a GIANT MONEY GRAB on the part of Disney.....NO WIFI in the parks....????!!! oh, yeah....great idea! can you say.....NIGHTMARE!!?? get ready for longer lines for TSMM and Matterhorn as well....??? Just what we need, right?

Universal charges a pretty penny for front of the line passes so having to pay for the privilege isn't unheard of. I am glad they are keeping the paper fastpasses as well.

If they are all attached to my phone how do the CMs know who is who? Kinda makes it difficult to split up if me and DD want to ride Space Mountain while DW and DS hit Indy.

We split up like this a lot too. The way I'm envisioning it is the tickets will need to be attached to a Disney account (like at WDW) and you can pick which person(s) you want the FPs for. When we split up, DH will just log in to my account with the app on his phone and use the FPs.

Without seeing it in action - all conjecture though!

So how does this work for AP holders? This seems like they are trying to snub the AP holders and locals which isn't a good move.

I'll be very interested to see when they start the TSMM and Matterhorn FP's.

This is interesting. Again, it's another money grab, but if people want to pay for it, that's their business. I kind of feel like Matterhorn and TSMM needed the FP, so I wonder how soon that will be implemented?

Hmm not too sure what I think of this. It saddens me that people have to pay for a digital FP. Although I can't help but admit that it well help this British visitor a lot - I just see it as another vacation expense, and at $10 a day, a way of enhancing my time in the parks.

Fingers crossed it is ready for our spring break trip, why did I have to turn 30 again in mid March?! :crazy2:

ETA - Just read the Disney Parks blog post that said later this year....

sounds like a GIANT MONEY GRAB on the part of Disney.....NO WIFI in the parks....????!!! oh, yeah....great idea! can you say.....NIGHTMARE!!?? get ready for longer lines for TSMM and Matterhorn as well....??? Just what we need, right?

How will it make longer lines? I'm glad they're keeping paper fastpasses

Would your opinion of MaxPass change if Matterhorn and Toy Story were EXCLUSIVELY digital and no paper FPs were available?
No. I don't mind waiting for TSMM and when I am there at Grad Nite (I am my school's coordinator) I can ride it back to back for as long as I want since there is literally no line for it. I also don't ride Matterhorn anymore since the supposed "upgrade" - my back can't take the jarring ride and I can barely fit in the seats anymore with my long legs (I'm 5'11").

I'm not going to pay $10 a day so I can get digital FPs. I'll get my step count in and walk to get paper fastpasses. To me this is just another blatant way that Disney is trying to make money because they are freaking out that people are choosing to stay away until SW land is complete and construction ends.

Posted this afternoon as a Disney reply to 1 of the comments in the Disney Parks Blog article that's linked in post #1 on this thread:

"Disney MaxPass will be $10 per ticket (per person) and one person in the party may manage Disney FASTPASS reservations for the party via one device, if desired."

And...
"Disney MaxPass is connected to your park ticket, so it can be purchased ahead of time when you buy your ticket, but it will not be activated until you are inside a theme park.

Guests may still purchase PhotoPass on its own if they opt not to use Disney MaxPass.

Yes, you must be inside a Disneyland Resort theme park to make Disney FASTPASS reservations through Disney MaxPass.

Disney MaxPass will operate similarly to the current Disney FASTPASS system, meaning you will be able to reserve one FASTPASS at a time."

Posted this afternoon as a Disney reply to 1 of the comments in the Disney Parks Blog article that's linked in post #1 on this thread:

"Disney MaxPass will be $10 per ticket (per person) and one person in the party may manage Disney FASTPASS reservations for the party via one device, if desired."

And...
"Disney MaxPass is connected to your park ticket, so it can be purchased ahead of time when you buy your ticket, but it will not be activated until you are inside a theme park.

Guests may still purchase PhotoPass on its own if they opt not to use Disney MaxPass.

Yes, you must be inside a Disneyland Resort theme park to make Disney FASTPASS reservations through Disney MaxPass.

Disney MaxPass will operate similarly to the current Disney FASTPASS system, meaning you will be able to reserve one FASTPASS at a time."

Personally that is what gets to me. I ain't walking onto Main Street whilst staring at my phone trying to secure a FP.

Don't mind doing it 60 days before in the comfort of my home for WDW trips.

I just find it funny that there was a thread just recently discussing changes to fastpass and how so many people said it should and would not happen but here we are and because so many people don't want it now you have to PAY for it instead of it being included in your ticket price.
And I'm sure enough people will pay for it that it hurts the people that wanted nothing to do with it anyways.
I'm wondering if people weren't so resistant to the idea if it would have been free for all.

I my consider paying for it when I go in June even if you do have to be in the park in order to book your fastpass. It's more time efficient to book one while in line for another attraction than walking across a park.

I do think $10 per day is a good deal for the photos however as a PP said only one person in your party even needs that.
I think it would be better if they charged one price for just photos and one price for just fastpass and then another price for both.

I saw this and got really excited - $10/day to save on walking? Perfect! Then I realized it was per person...

It could end up being anywhere from $180-$300 for a 5 day trip for us. We'll have to see if it's worth it or not. If it's a great time-saver and useful, that price might not be too bad. But if it's just saving on walking, I wouldn't pay for it. I would rather do something else with the money. It'll be interesting to see how much the Annual Pass price will be.

It also depends on how many FPs on average you accumulate per day. We've been taking a slower pace since we've been going more often, so haven't been maximizing FPs lately (only pulling about 4 a day).

I would bet this is a staged implementation. They will start with MaxPass and paper Fastpass, but overtime and as they are able to improve things including WiFi in the parks and adding MaxPass kiosks they will phase out the paper fast pass. If the long term plan is to phase out paper fastpasses, I wonder if they will still require a fee for a digital fastpass? I think this first communications release on Maxpass is just the beginning.

I think it is odd that they made this announcement without also having the details ready as to how this will work for AP holders, price wise.

Maybe they wanted to gauge reaction from AP holders on social media before finalizing the pricing structure.

Wow! Three pages on this post already! You can definitely tell this is a subject area near and dear to us DLR obsessed. :rotfl2:

If they are all attached to my phone how do the CMs know who is who? Kinda makes it difficult to split up if me and DD want to ride Space Mountain while DW and DS hit Indy.

My family does this, too. Younger DD loves California Screamin' and older DD loves (the former) Tower or Terror. We used to split up all the time. It sounds like everyone with a ticket has to buy their own $10 MP, but my youngest DD does not have a phone yet, so either DH or I would need to "hold" her MPs on one of our phones. I know DLR has said time and time again that they are not getting Magic Bands, but it really seems like having them would make this situation SO much easier. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Magic Bands are NOT FastpassPlus. They are just a tool that gives you digital access instead of phones, fastpasses, or credit cards. I DO NOT want FastpassPlus at DLR (hated it at WDW), but I loved my Magic Band. I wish they would reconsider the use of these if only for MaxPass puposes.

Would your opinion of MaxPass change if Matterhorn and Toy Story were EXCLUSIVELY digital and no paper FPs were available?

My opinion would change for the worse. I wouldn't pay $10/person/day just for those two rides. Now, if I could access all the rides with FastPass on the MaxPass AND could access Matterhorn and Toy Story in addition, that would change my opinion for the better.

I wonder whether the $10 per person fee will be waived for DLR hotel guests. Seems like the perfect kind of freebie to give away as a bonus.

I agree! It was one of my first thoughts, as well. Since WDW lets hotel guests make FastpassPluss reservations early, it would only make sense if DLR had a perk of some sort for Resort guests. Either make them free or give them one "bonus" pass.

This is also all prep for 2019 when Star Wars Land debuts. It will prevent SOME of the mad rush/run/walk to the back of the park to get FP's for Star Wars Land rides in person.

I think this makes more sense than almost anything else. Given that the ride capacity of the new Star Wars rides is said to be significantly less than the amount of guests Disneyland accomodates in one day, this new system be something that can help prevent mayhem and rioting when the new land opens if people know pretty much from the beginning of the day if and when they are able to get on one of the rides. Not to mention preventing hordes of people trying to bulldoze their way to the back of the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter