Disneyland Secrets

My son did a research project for extra credit about the life of Walt Disney and the history of DL. According to his research, the BB court does exist inside/below Matterhorn Boblsed "attraction." It was Walt's way of getting around the city's imposed limitations for buildings.

As for captaining the Mark Twain River Boat... we did it once. As we were waiting for the trip to begin, a CM tapped my shoulder and asked how many there were in my party. I thought it was an odd question (as none of them had jumped overboard or anything) but when I answered his question, he offered us a chance to pilot the ship. On our trip through the Rivers of America, the captain told us all sorts of DL trivia (and some funny jokes) :banana: Here's a photo:
DSCN1207.jpg

iceskatejen said:
According to the book Disneyland: Then and Now (a book I highly recommend--you can get it in the parks) the area where the Matterhorn is was called Holiday Hill. Also, yes, there was an area outside the berm called Holidayland. It was sort of a picnic area with a separate admission price and looking at the picture in the book, looked to have swings and slides and picnic tables. People apparently didn't use it much. It's where the show buildings (where the majority of each "ride" is located) for Pirates and Haunted Mansion now are.
iceskatejen-
You're right about Holidayland being outside the park. I looked at my E-ticket magazine again and what I had thought was Holidayland over near where IASW is now, was actually the Disneyland Circus tent. Since Holidayland had a similar type building, I just assumed they had moved it to the outside of the berm along with the tent.
The magazine does state that the eventual Matterhorn hill was called Snow Hill at the time of the photo(around 1956). Either the name changed from Holiday Hill or the author of the story just used Snow Hil, perhaps because it was used longer prior to the Matterhorn being built.
Oh yeah, I'm still hitting myself for not buying that book when we were at DL in May. I swear I had seen it on borders.com prior to leaving and thought I'll use my souvenir money on something else and purchase the book on-line when I got back. Much to my displeasure, it was no longer listed on Borders website or any other website for that matter. :confused3

I took another look at the book and Holiday Hill was renamed Snow Hill in 1956 in preparation for the eventual bobsled attraction thay would build.

eileenkeeney said:
The first time I noticed a cat, it was near the haunted mansion, and it was black. I thought it was there for ambiance.
I asked about it, and was told that years ago Cats were brought into Disneyland to help control a mouse problem.
When the solution did not work, there was an attempt to eliminate the cat problem, but that failed also.

The cats do not wait until after dark to come out.
I often see them.

A few days ago, my DS spotted a cat napping high on a rock near the McDonald's cart by the exit to Big Thunder Mountain.

eileenkeeney said:
I asked about it, and was told that years ago Cats were brought into Disneyland to help control a mouse problem.
(emphasis mine)

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Keep the secrets and tips coming! My DSister-In-Law went in July and said there were Happiest Celebration Hidden Mickeys, 50 in all of DL park for the Golden Celebration (not sure if they carried it over to DCA). Anyone happen to gather a list of the areas they can be found in? Or maybe a photo to post so we all can search?
TIA :goodvibes

The hidden 50s are all over the place. I do know that you can find one right on the facade (sp?) of IASW. I would give out more, but then the fun is in finding them, right? Just a hint, some are easy to spot, others, not so much.

1. When you walk by the Candy store you say yummy what's that good sell? Sometimes they are NOT making candy. What they do is pump sugar air out. They boil hot water with sugared added. If you look closely the vents are right under the windows.

2. Also the apple in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs dark ride all ways gets stolen. They have tried all sorts of ways to keep people from stealing it.

3. Yes there is a tunnel under Disneyland. It runs from under Space Mountain to the restaurants in back of the park in Frontierland. It is use as a service tunnel for food distribution for the restaurants. CM walk from back stage of one part of the park to the other. Its not very impressive just a tunnel and pipes and wires.

I’ll keep thinking and get back with you guys.

:wave2:

GoofyFD said:
3. Yes there is a tunnel under Disneyland. It runs from under Space Mountain to the restaurants in back of the park in Frontierland. It is use as a service tunnel for food distribution for the restaurants. CM walk from back stage of one part of the park to the other. Its not very impressive just a tunnel and pipes and wires.

I need to correct this one...

There are 2 "tunnels" in Disneyland. 1 is a real tunnel, the other is, well, a big enough pipe to drive a truck through.

The first tunnel (TLT Tunnel) starts behind Innoventions and goes to CircleVision (the stairs come up on the Matterhorn side of Circlevision by the tables. It is mainly to get supplies to TLT (or Club Buzz if you want).

The other "Vid tunnel" goes from behing Videpolis (Fantasyland Theater) and goes to the large service gates at Big Thunder Trail.

That's all there is to DL's tunnel system.

The famous basketball court (actually, a hoop nailed to a stairwell).

matterho.jpg

From snopes.com

small, attic-like space near the top of the Matterhorn structure does indeed contain a basketball rim, backboard, and floor markings. (This cramped area is smaller in size than a regulation half-court, so the term "basketball court" is used rather loosely here.) This common piece of Disney lore has it that Disneyland's Matterhorn house a basketball court because at the time it was built, an Anaheim city ordinance prohibited the building of structures exceeding a certain height — with the single exception of sports facilities. In order to skirt this law, crafty ol' Walt Disney supposedly had a "basketball court" installed within the Matterhorn so that he could claim the structure to be a sports arena and thereby avoid the height restrictions. This legend is nothing more than a bit of fanciful fun: the Matterhorn was finished in 1959, but the city of Anaheim did not have regulations restricting the height of structures until the 1970s (and even if they had, they wouldn't have allowed Disney to get away with such a blatant violation of them based on semantic trickery).

The small area atop the Matterhorn is used as a rest and preparation area for the costumed climbers who sometimes entertain park guests by scaling the mountain. According to the Disney Channel program "Inside Out," the basketball court came to be when one of these climbers brought in and installed a basketball hoop and backboard for use as an amusement to pass the time when inclement weather or other conditions prevented the climbers from working outside the mountain.

Mary Jo said:
There are professional alpine mountain climbers who climb the Matterhorn each day, and a couple of times a day Mickey makes it up there, too, to place a flag at the top of the mountain.

The general public can go up the mountain in specially made bobsleds - but they come right back down again. :)

When does Mickey climb the mountain?? I want to make sure we don't miss it... thanks!

This is all such neat stuff. I watched at something on the Travel Channel recently that talked about some of this stuff!

stich626 said:
This is all such neat stuff. I watched at something on the Travel Channel recently that talked about some of this stuff!

funny u should mention travel channel....i did a search yesterday and there will be a show, Behind the Scenes: Disneyland, on it tomorrow (thurs) at 3 pm (EST) its from 2 years ago, but still something to watch! :earsboy:

033def69.jpg
(Courtesy of Mouse Planet)

On the Winnie the Pooh ride at Disneyland, if you turn around after you pass the scene where Pooh is pigging out on honey, you can see 3 animals that were from the Country Bear Jamboree (a tribute). :cool1:

I don't think I saw these mentioned already.....

While in queue for the Indiana Jones ride, you'll enter a dark cave area with warning signs for bats. If you look into the caverns, you'll see bats hanging from the ceiling. Look for the caverns with a black light glow.

As you walk through the Spike Room, there is a big spike (pole) with a sign that says not to touch it. If you pull on it (and it's working that day) you'll hear a thundering crash and the ceiling drops a few inches, as if you disturbed the gods.

Once the hallways open up, you'll enter an area that has a circular queue with a trunk like thing in the middle. There's a sign that says not to pull the rope. If you pull on it, you'll hear voices of men working and telling you not to pull it. After about the 3rd pull, you'll hear one yell and fall.

Right after the screening room where you see the safety video, as the line takes you in a U-turn, look back into the screening room, above the projector to the left. You might be able to see a faint outline of Eyore. It is an old parking lot sign since Indy was built on top of an old parking lot.

While on the ride, when you enter the first room with skeletons, turn completely around and look at the skeletons on the wall. "Bones" has Mickey ears on. This one took me several attempts to finally see him. You'll get your best view by sitting in the last row, on the driver's side.

(Yes, I really love the Indiana Jones ride :jumping3: )

Rumor has it that the baskeball court in the top of the Matterhorn served more of a purpose than just employee fun....it was installed becasue at the time the ride was built, anaheim would not allow something of that size unless it was a sports arena...Matterhorn = sports arena, just add the hoop!

So, I am watching this Disneyland secrets show on the Travel Channel, and it said that the golden spike marks the "geographic center" of Disneyland. Guess they went off popular belief too??

^I saw that show too--and didn't think that sounded right! The show was good from an entertaining "can't wait for our trip" perspective, though. Better for the kiddies than the DLR "Happiest Homecoming" dvd they sent me! Ha ha

I taped it so we can watch it again before the trip. Ooh, getting excited!!

TheCrew said:
i just typed a bunch of good facts but my comp messed up :sad: :sad:
so ill just post a few of them.

You probly all know that the building above POTC was built as an apartment for Walt but he passed before it was finished, its now used as a gallary (last time i went they had props and stuff from the Haunted Mansion film) and if you ask one of the employees they will give you a tour of the apt. Theres a door way in the apt. that leads into Club 33.

Before Matterhorn opened, Walt took it for a spin. Since the ride was not yet completed workers piled some hay at the end to stop the ride. Walt liked the the feeling of way he collided with the hay so much he made the ride end to the same effect as the hay.

Years ago the two tracks on the Matterhorn were labeled "faster" and "slower", but a problem developed in that lines of unequal length developed. Depending on the crowd in the park at the time one side would be much longer (on grad night the faster side would have far more riders) and so the signs were removed.

being a No Doubt fan (since i was 10) I'm gonna have to share this..
The cover of their Tragic Kingdom album theres a hidden mickey
The song Tragic Kingdom is about Disney

"The king has been overthrown By jesterly fools" People that don't know what they are doing. And the power (and the power) Of the people (of the people) Shall come to believe they do rule" <--the might be talkin about Walt's death and Eisner being in power

"Hypnotized by fireflies that glow in the dark Midgets that disguise themselves As tiny little dwarfs The parade that's electrical It serves no real purpose Just takes up a lot of juice Just to impress us" <--Main Street Electrical Parade

"They pay homage to a king Whose dreams are buried In their minds His tears are frozen stiff Icicles drip from his eyes"<--icicles because supposedly Walt was cryogentically frozen.

I recomend listening to the song (it used to frighten me as a child cuz i didnt understand it but when i found out what the song was about i thought it was a good/powerful song, its sad too)

Hmmm, That song was actually kind of odd, but Walt Disney wasn't frozen, they actually did just the opposite to him, they cremated him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter