Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Was this recent? I remember scouring the WDW site for word of an on-site priority provision and came up with nothing, just that there was no guarantee.
When the reopening was first announced, WDW said that on site guests and APs would be given priority in making reservations over non-on site guests and day ticket holders. Then they didn't give any more details for a while (understandable, given what blew up in the news headlines shortly afterward).

ETA: As of 5/28/20, this is what WDW says about this:
  • New Ticket Sales and Hotel Reservations: At this time, we are temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations so we can focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations. Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make a theme park reservation before new tickets are sold; we will be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new sales of tickets and Disney Resort hotel reservations after that period of time. Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability.

Last edited:
When the reopening was first announced, WDW said that on site guests and APs would be given priority in making reservations over non-on site guests and day ticket holders. Then they didn't give any more details for a while (understandable, given what blew up in the news headlines shortly afterward).

Ah must have missed that, I think everyone just hyper focused on the "no guarantee" provision forgetting that no guarantee doesn't mean no priority.

There are 6 days in between when the parks reopen and when the 2 hotels reopen. Given the large AP population, a likely reason for this gap is to allow the local AP crowd to have a chance to go. I suspect that for the first month DL is open, AP’ers will be allowed one, maybe two, reservation.

And they will ALL want to go into DL, not DCA.

Pausing ticket sales now temporarily is to control and limit the supply of ticket holders so that when the reservation system debuts soon, tickets won’t immediately run out in 5 min.

I wouldn’t be surprised if reservations are first only allowed for 7/17-7/22. Then for reservations starting 7/23, on site hotel guests will have a window in which they can reserve their days (which will probably need to coincide with your on site stay). If you don’t take action to actually make the park reservation, then yes, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be getting into any park during your on site hotel stay.

DL will advertise and communicate the heck out of this. There will still be some potential park guests who will show up the “day of” and get mad and yell at CMs because they (the park guests) were living under a rock for the past month and planned a whole long weekend trip complete with airfare or a long car ride to get there...all assuming that it would be just like normal. Or some park guests will assume that the new temporary rules don’t apply to them and that if they just get there early enough, then they can get in if they want to.

It’s all going to work out. We just need to be patient for a few more days. I think they’ll announce the reservation system details by 6/17.

There are 6 days in between when the parks reopen and when the 2 hotels reopen. Given the large AP population, a likely reason for this gap is to allow the local AP crowd to have a chance to go. I suspect that for the first month DL is open, AP’ers will be allowed one, maybe two, reservation.

And they will ALL want to go into DL, not DCA.

Pausing ticket sales now temporarily is to control and limit the supply of ticket holders so that when the reservation system debuts soon, tickets won’t immediately run out in 5 min.

I wouldn’t be surprised if reservations are first only allowed for 7/17-7/22. Then for reservations starting 7/23, on site hotel guests will have a window in which they can reserve their days (which will probably need to coincide with your on site stay). If you don’t take action to actually make the park reservation, then yes, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be getting into any park during your on site hotel stay.

DL will advertise and communicate the heck out of this. There will still be some potential park guests who will show up the “day of” and get mad and yell at CMs because they (the park guests) were living under a rock for the past month and planned a whole long weekend trip complete with airfare or a long car ride to get there...all assuming that it would be just like normal. Or some park guests will assume that the new temporary rules don’t apply to them and that if they just get there early enough, then they can get in if they want to.

It’s all going to work out. We just need to be patient for a few more days. I think they’ll announce the reservation system details by 6/17.

I am hoping that things go pretty much exactly as you said. I think the 06/17 date will be something to really look at.

We are set to arrive July 21 - 26, with plans of using 5 day park hopper tickets with MaxPass on July 22-26. I am hoping to get into a park each day. Question - if we aren't able to secure a park reservation each day of our 5 day trip, would Disneyland refund the tickets that aren't used?

I am concerned that when this reservation system is up and operational, people will have problems actually going online or in the app to reserve the days that they want. Who else thinks that you might see the "Stitch ate the page" web page because it will be so overloaded with people trying to reserve? It would be nice if they could figure out a way to email people with current hotel reservations and AP holders a "call-in code" so if you need to call in for a reservation, you can input a code to kind of skip the long wait times and get to a cast member right away...Wishful thinking, I know.

I noticed this morning that the DL website has taken down pretty much all of the table service dining locations where you could make reservations. It looks like they only have the "package" dining options listed right now. I am waiting for that to open up too. We're going for my husband's 40th birthday so I would like to make a reservation to celebrate that somewhere.

I am hoping that things go pretty much exactly as you said. I think the 06/17 date will be something to really look at.

We are set to arrive July 21 - 26, with plans of using 5 day park hopper tickets with MaxPass on July 22-26. I am hoping to get into a park each day. Question - if we aren't able to secure a park reservation each day of our 5 day trip, would Disneyland refund the tickets that aren't used?

I am concerned that when this reservation system is up and operational, people will have problems actually going online or in the app to reserve the days that they want. Who else thinks that you might see the "Stitch ate the page" web page because it will be so overloaded with people trying to reserve? It would be nice if they could figure out a way to email people with current hotel reservations and AP holders a "call-in code" so if you need to call in for a reservation, you can input a code to kind of skip the long wait times and get to a cast member right away...Wishful thinking, I know.

I noticed this morning that the DL website has taken down pretty much all of the table service dining locations where you could make reservations. It looks like they only have the "package" dining options listed right now. I am waiting for that to open up too. We're going for my husband's 40th birthday so I would like to make a reservation to celebrate that somewhere.

And just like that the DL website has the restaurants back showing up, but still "No Availability" and they say to call the dining reservation line. Tried that yesterday and the call hung up after telling me that Disneyland was currently closed. Maybe that will open back up on 06/17 too???

I noticed last night that park hours aren't listed yet. Once park hours get posted, then ADRs for those dates will open up.

I'm also wondering if ROTR will be operational when the parks first open. I haven't been on it yet but it seems like there are a few places where unless you drastically cut down on people per vehicle, it would be hard to maintain social distancing.

Will they come right out and say which rides will be up and running and which will remain closed when the parks first open up?

Please remember that nowhere yet has DLR said anything about giving guaranteed park entry to on site guests. WDW has said that on site guests won't have guaranteed entry, but will have priority.

Sometimes they do! When Michael Colglazier wanted to get rid of swing dancing at DLR, an online petition was started which was surprisingly successful!
Wait, what? Someone did not want swing dancing at DL? 😂

Yikes, Reno is a hike. Is booking a Southwest airlines flight and cancelling/retaining the credit in the cards for you? And how come USH/MM are out of the question?
. My DH prefers to drive to DL. Heck, he would have driven to WDW 3 years ago if I didn't put my foot down, lol. MM and US are out because I want the full experience, and I don't even think MM is open. I last went there in 2016. Though I had a good time , the whole park was a dump. I remember wishing I had trash bags with me so I could clean up all the trash. If MM is filthy when nothing is going on, how thorough of a cleaning/disinfecting will they do with this pandemic still going on? US was clean, but with the cost of admission, I want the full experience. I'd like to think my chances of catching Covid19 are rare, but at the chance I did, it would kill my step dad. He's very vulnerable since he recently had heart surgery.

Wait, what? Someone did not want swing dancing at DL? 😂
Can you believe it?! And when it's a tradition that started with Walt? The petition was amazing -- dancers from all over the world who had danced at DL and dancers who were still dancing every Saturday night signed. Very touching. Someone offered to dance with Mrs. Colglazier -- I think he's still waiting for her to take him up on the offer. :)

Can you believe it?! And when it's a tradition that started with Walt? The petition was amazing -- dancers from all over the world who had danced at DL and dancers who were still dancing every Saturday night signed. Very touching. Someone offered to dance with Mrs. Colglazier -- I think he's still waiting for her to take him up on the offer. :)

Lol I stand corrected then, I’m just so jaded from fake online activism and petitions are part of that I think.

But I stand firm that a petition to keep Disneyland closed will fail on the fact that there are more park goers and shareholders that want these money/memory making machines open!

Just got this email from Get Away Today. I’m personally okay with this because I was worried about not having my ticket numbers in my app right away.
“First, although we don’t know exact details of the reservations system yet, we know tickets will be required to secure a reservation. In order to get your ticket numbers and have access to the new reservations system, your Disneyland Resort tickets will need to be paid in full by Friday, June 19, 2020. After this date, we will not be able to send any new Disneyland ticket numbers. However, any remaining hotel portion of your reservation can remain on a Layaway Plan up to seven days prior to travel.”

Okay, I know we are getting way off topic here, but my mind is being blown right now. Is this a thing?! Swing dancing at DL?! My husband and I are former swing and salsa dancers (we met because he was my salsa student ;)). It's been a looooooong time, but we can still bust a decent lindy hop when the moment calls for it.

Just got this email from Get Away Today. I’m personally okay with this because I was worried about not having my ticket numbers in my app right away.
“First, although we don’t know exact details of the reservations system yet, we know tickets will be required to secure a reservation. In order to get your ticket numbers and have access to the new reservations system, your Disneyland Resort tickets will need to be paid in full by Friday, June 19, 2020. After this date, we will not be able to send any new Disneyland ticket numbers. However, any remaining hotel portion of your reservation can remain on a Layaway Plan up to seven days prior to travel.”
I've been wondering if DL will email digital tickets to people for this reason. Hard to make reservations if you don't have your ticket number(s).

Okay, I know we are getting way off topic here, but my mind is being blown right now. Is this a thing?! Swing dancing at DL?! My husband and I are former swing and salsa dancers (we met because he was my salsa student ;)). It's been a looooooong time, but we can still bust a decent lindy hop when the moment calls for it.

i’m pretty sure you just volunteered to give us all salsa dancing lessons:dogdance:

Under "normal" circumstances, check out the Royal Swing Ball on Saturday nights at Princess Fantasy Faire (usually runs from around 7/7:30 pm - 10/10:30 pm). Live bands every Saturday! Sometimes there are bands in DCA, too -- like for Food & Wine Festival -- the bands play by Paradise Bay or in Paradise Gardens. We get swing dancers from beginners to international award winners -- super friendly bunch. Just let us know when you'll be there, and we'll be looking for you! For now, it's being taken as a given that there won't be any swing dancing until further notice. Make sure to check back before any future trips, though! (And there is a LOT of swing dancing and salsa in OC and SoCal, if you're ever interested!)

Would appreciate if all the local folks keep us updated on your cases/etc. That will be a big factor in if we can realistically come or not. My county has been on a heavy decline for awhile thank goodness (masks mandatory in all places and everyone complies) so I kinda overlook what’s going on outside my safe bubble haha.

If you can spare $1, get a 4-week digital subscription to the LA Times. Their "Tracking coronavirus in California" website (https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/) is the best I've found for up-to-date, easily digestible information on what is happening on a really granular level in California. For the larger counties, the case data is tracked down to the city level (for cumulative number of cases) with trends tracked at the county level. for cases, deaths, and hospitalizations.

If you can spare $1, get a 4-week digital subscription to the LA Times. Their "Tracking coronavirus in California" website (https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/) is the best I've found for up-to-date, easily digestible information on what is happening on a really granular level in California. For the larger counties, the case data is tracked down to the city level (for cumulative number of cases) with trends tracked at the county level. for cases, deaths, and hospitalizations.
Done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter