Disney World Projects for 1st grader missing school

TheyCallMeStacey

Mouseketeer
Have you seen any resources/ideas for projects that might be good for a kiddo missing school in May? I want to be considerate of the fact that we're pulling him from school and try to encourage some learning opportunities while we're vacationing.

My 7 year old is going into second grade, so last year the biggest emphasis was their reading skills. Bring a book for him and let him try and read everything in sight. My daughter loves to read everything she sees when we are out. Duplicating math assignments is hard. They do so much work with computer programs these days and if your school does common core, it's a completely different way of learning.

I agree in 1st grade focus on counting and reading no projects. By May the school year is just about closing out. I wouldn't make it to difficult. If you don't have a fast pass for something and have to wait in line let him/her look up and see how long the wait will be 15 minutes 30 minutes.

Is this so you can use the "educational trip" to excuse the absences with the school?
If it isn't, don't worry about anything- just go and enjoy your vacation. There will be plenty of everyday learning opportunities that will pop up while you are there, no need to think of some projects.

As you make your way through the day: 1. Round numbers...wait times to the nearest 10, menu prices to the nearest 10, bills to the nearest 100 :)
2. Let them tell time on a watch and determine how much longer until next fast pass 3. Locate the different countries in Epcot on a map on your phone while you wait in line for anything...I could go on and on but the main takeaway is to pull things they are working on in school and just work it into critical thinking conversations. You don't need to print anything or really plan ahead

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just want to make sure he's thinking about things that can be related back to how he's learning and you all really rocked it with how to do that! Thanks!!

Epcot is lush with learning - Finding Nemo ( science, ecology ), Spaceship Earth ( history - may be advanced but it'll have talking points that he may have had exposure to already), Living with the Land ( science, ecology ) and you can incorporate the World Pavillion into Geography. Again some of it may be advanced but lots of great talking points.

Animal Kingdom is great for the ecology and social studies conversations too.

We pulled DS in 1st grade as well, and his teacher just asked him to keep a journal to practice his writing. He wrote in it every night (or the next morning while the grown-ups were getting ready) and she read it and made comments. I kept it with his baby book and old school art projects, and it's full of fun, kids-eye-view memories from our trip!

DS6 was in kindergarten when we took him out and will be in 1st this year. At the suggestion of his teacher, we had him keep a journal. I got a primary journal that looked like a composition book and had a place to write and a spot to draw. It was great because it now serves as a memory book.
I also told his teacher the first time I met her face to face, which I think helped.
I also didn't feel back about taking him out. We did a 3 day cruise and 2 days a KSC prior. I can honestly tell you, he learned more in a week than I had even thought possible!
Enjoy the journey...When in doubt go to EPCOT. There is tons to learn!

Just concentrate on making family memories. A 6 year old will get more/learn more out of just free exploring time than any work you'd choose to assign.

My daughter was in 3rd grade when we pulled her out last year. Her school had her write a journal while she was gone. she wrote in it each day and then we added some pictures to turn in. The school also stresses reading - even during the summer. I had picked up the Disney Encyclopedia of Animated Characters (I think that is what it is called) to get autographs. My daughter loved pulling that out and reading it while we stood in line - any line. As others have said though any place in Disney has opportunities for learning so you can make it fun. Tailor the learning to what your child likes and you are good to go.

We always do academic-y things in lines that are fun. My favorite thing I've ever done though is have the littles journal every day. It's super fun to look back at those memories from their perspective

We pulled our daughter out for a few days (for various reasons) in kindergarten and 1st grade. For longer trips (Hawaii was one of them), we had her keep a journal, which was also helpful for us to talk with her each day about the interesting things we saw, etc. She's going into 2nd grade and we are already planning to pull her out a few days, once for a Disney trip and another one for a work conference of mine where she will actually learn a lot.

At that age, I'd say just go on your family vacation and have fun. Kids are learning all the time, and being well travelled is an education as well (learning how to behave on a plane, what seeing the cultures in Epcot, trying new foods, exploring things). Keeping a journal is a fun thing to do, if they're so inclined (my oldest did that when we went to Hawaii when he was 7, and I still have it, but their Montessori school encouraged family vacations, and some kids even missed close to a month to do international travel to visit family - the school was very encouraging of it).

It gets harder when they're older, and a nightmare in high school (we've had to due to family things; had to bring text books even as it was right before finals!).

Enjoy now that he's young!

Epcot is lush with learning - Finding Nemo ( science, ecology ), Spaceship Earth ( history - may be advanced but it'll have talking points that he may have had exposure to already), Living with the Land ( science, ecology ) and you can incorporate the World Pavillion into Geography. Again some of it may be advanced but lots of great talking points.

Animal Kingdom is great for the ecology and social studies conversations too.

It is so funny you should mention that. I stood in lines with my DGD when she was younger and we just talked about the environmental aspects. She was and still is interested in science in general, and environmental and marine science so the conversations were really an eye opener into what she was thinking about at the time. She had plenty to say about habitats in DAK< animal care as well. In the Land she focused on recycling and land conservation, and in MK she asked about recycling and how Disney handles waste.

There are so many ways to get children to use the moment to share how what they see relates to what they are learning, and to do this without "homework."

She did have a reading assignment and would read for a while before bed. It was a good way for her to wind down and still fulfill her commitment.

Have you seen any resources/ideas for projects that might be good for a kiddo missing school in May? I want to be considerate of the fact that we're pulling him from school and try to encourage some learning opportunities while we're vacationing.
We homeschool so I have an advantage because I am constantly looking for ways to "do school" in addition to (or in most cases instead of) just sitting and doing book work.

My kids are older and younger than yours, but we have a reading list we are working on for before the trip - all Disney or attraction related books (Tom Sawyer, Swiss Family Robinson, Peter and the Star Catchers, The Kingdom Keepers). These are books for older kids, but great stories and you can find locations from the books in MK.

Math is easy because it is everywhere. It may not be exactly what they are learning in school, but when you are buying lunch or snacks have him add up the items and tell you the total. The pressed penny machines are another math opportunity - how much will it cost to press x-number of pennies? Things like that are easy to find if you look for them.

I am not sure when map skills are taught (or even if they are anymore...) but having your son "navigate" through the park with the map is a really fun exercise.

All that being said, I do agree with all the folks who said you should just go have a fun family vacation and that kids are learning all the time regardless whether you plan work or not.

I do have more plans for my kids. If you want to PM me I would be happy to share my plans with you and you can see if they work for you. :-)

When you go on vacation, do you try to find ways to make your trip tie into your work?

School is work for our kids. If they are on vacation, let them be on vacation. If you feel guilty about pulling them out of school, don't do it. Go during school breaks. Making a kid "work" on vacation is the same as making an adult do so. Let them have fun.

When you go on vacation, do you try to find ways to make your trip tie into your work?

School is work for our kids. If they are on vacation, let them be on vacation. If you feel guilty about pulling them out of school, don't do it. Go during school breaks. Making a kid "work" on vacation is the same as making an adult do so. Let them have fun.

I think it is how you look at it. I think each child is an individual with specific needs. Many can miss a week and they do not need to "think" on vacation, however there are others who need to keep exercising their brain. I must say that I was surprised at how well my DGD tied so much of what we saw in regards to science and environmental conservation. I am so pleased that she was so engaged in the conversations. SHe also read every night after teh parks. It was a good way for her to keep up in some of the subjects she was missing and made her return to school easier.

I feel strongly that parent are the best people to determine what works for their children.

I also believe that in contrast with kids who cannot control the pace of their classes. Adult often can prepare for a vacation in order to reduce the buildup upon their return.

I agree. The point of vacation is to turn off work a while and just have some fun and relaxation.

Kids are ALWAYS learning. They meet new people on vacation, and try new foods, new experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter