Disney World Projects for 1st grader missing school

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by TheyCallMeStacey, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TheyCallMeStacey

TheyCallMeStacey Mouseketeer

Have you seen any resources/ideas for projects that might be good for a kiddo missing school in May? I want to be considerate of the fact that we're pulling him from school and try to encourage some learning opportunities while we're vacationing.

2. FigmentFinder

FigmentFinder DIS Veteran

My 7 year old is going into second grade, so last year the biggest emphasis was their reading skills. Bring a book for him and let him try and read everything in sight. My daughter loves to read everything she sees when we are out. Duplicating math assignments is hard. They do so much work with computer programs these days and if your school does common core, it's a completely different way of learning.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. siestakeys04

siestakeys04 DIS Veteran

I agree in 1st grade focus on counting and reading no projects. By May the school year is just about closing out. I wouldn't make it to difficult. If you don't have a fast pass for something and have to wait in line let him/her look up and see how long the wait will be 15 minutes 30 minutes.

TheyCallMeStacey likes this.
  5. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

Is this so you can use the "educational trip" to excuse the absences with the school?
    If it isn't, don't worry about anything- just go and enjoy your vacation. There will be plenty of everyday learning opportunities that will pop up while you are there, no need to think of some projects.

gr8leg8 and TheyCallMeStacey like this.
  6. _Kristi_

_Kristi_ Earning My Ears

As you make your way through the day: 1. Round numbers...wait times to the nearest 10, menu prices to the nearest 10, bills to the nearest 100 :)
    2. Let them tell time on a watch and determine how much longer until next fast pass 3. Locate the different countries in Epcot on a map on your phone while you wait in line for anything...I could go on and on but the main takeaway is to pull things they are working on in school and just work it into critical thinking conversations. You don't need to print anything or really plan ahead

7. TheyCallMeStacey

TheyCallMeStacey Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just want to make sure he's thinking about things that can be related back to how he's learning and you all really rocked it with how to do that! Thanks!!

8. Wild4Walt

Wild4Walt DIS Veteran

Epcot is lush with learning - Finding Nemo ( science, ecology ), Spaceship Earth ( history - may be advanced but it'll have talking points that he may have had exposure to already), Living with the Land ( science, ecology ) and you can incorporate the World Pavillion into Geography. Again some of it may be advanced but lots of great talking points.

Animal Kingdom is great for the ecology and social studies conversations too.

PollyannaMom likes this.
  9. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

We pulled DS in 1st grade as well, and his teacher just asked him to keep a journal to practice his writing. He wrote in it every night (or the next morning while the grown-ups were getting ready) and she read it and made comments. I kept it with his baby book and old school art projects, and it's full of fun, kids-eye-view memories from our trip!

3gr8boys and Crystal824 like this.
  10. Petals & Pixie Dust

Petals & Pixie Dust DIS Veteran

DS6 was in kindergarten when we took him out and will be in 1st this year. At the suggestion of his teacher, we had him keep a journal. I got a primary journal that looked like a composition book and had a place to write and a spot to draw. It was great because it now serves as a memory book.
    I also told his teacher the first time I met her face to face, which I think helped.
    I also didn't feel back about taking him out. We did a 3 day cruise and 2 days a KSC prior. I can honestly tell you, he learned more in a week than I had even thought possible!
    Enjoy the journey...When in doubt go to EPCOT. There is tons to learn!

11. chicagoshannon

chicagoshannon DIS Veteran

Just concentrate on making family memories. A 6 year old will get more/learn more out of just free exploring time than any work you'd choose to assign.

12. LilacGarden

LilacGarden Earning My Ears

My daughter was in 3rd grade when we pulled her out last year. Her school had her write a journal while she was gone. she wrote in it each day and then we added some pictures to turn in. The school also stresses reading - even during the summer. I had picked up the Disney Encyclopedia of Animated Characters (I think that is what it is called) to get autographs. My daughter loved pulling that out and reading it while we stood in line - any line. As others have said though any place in Disney has opportunities for learning so you can make it fun. Tailor the learning to what your child likes and you are good to go.

13. Mjtheprincess

Mjtheprincess Earning My Ears

We always do academic-y things in lines that are fun. My favorite thing I've ever done though is have the littles journal every day. It's super fun to look back at those memories from their perspective