• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World Genie+ No longer sold pre-arrival, subject to availability

Why would this change anything? I honestly feel they lose money on this. It doesn’t seem bad to add it to a already $3,000 package but now people may decide they don’t need it because they don’t want to spend $60 that day. Whereas before it would have just been in within the large sum

I'm extremely frustrated that we have no idea what kind of trip we're going to have when we get to WDW now. You plan and plan and can have the rug pulled out from under you last minute. What's next?

So....Will you get a virtual queue? Will you get Genie+? You have to set your family up for the potential disappointment of not riding many rides or any of the headliners now. In other words, not getting a good ROI on the cost of your trip if rides is your focus.

If they had pulled this before we bought our tickets, I would have cancelled our trip. As it is, I'm kicking myself for not purchasing Gene+ for our entire trip. We only needed 1 day...or so I thought.

This may very well be the straw that broke the camel's back for us. We'll see what gem they come up with next. I only have faith that Disney will screw it up worse. But I think this is it for us...if this is still policy when we go later this summer.

Sorry if this has been asked but, what time can you purchase day of? I mean if you want to be able to utilize it then it should be available to purchase before the 7 a.m. booking window starts.

Sorry if this has been asked but, what time can you purchase day of? I mean if you want to be able to utilize it then it should be available to purchase before the 7 a.m. booking window starts.
12:01am is when you can purchase Genie+

But I highly doubt it will sell out most days, and you'll likely be able to purchase it at 6:55am right before you make your first LL reservation.

While I agree there are probably better ways to have implemented this - I don't believe this was a money grab or anything by Disney. In fact this is probably the opposite of that since previously they could have sold Genie+ ahead of time and gotten some interest off of that money before you even get to WDW.

Now however, they only get it day of. While many may not believe that Disney is really trying to improve Genie+ I do think this is what they are attempting to do. Likely to help reduce guest complaints about the current system, but they also probably have a lot of data on how many people are purchasing it and the wait times for Lightning Lanes at each ride and so they may be trying to adjust things to improve the overall experience for everyone.

I know some people have had good experiences, but it seems like the average guest is not having a good experience with Genie+ and I'm sure Disney is responding to that feedback by trying to change things.

What will likely happen though is to make up for the lost revenue, Disney will raise the price of Genie+.

I think they will make genie+ a priority for deluxe and DVC guests. Meaning they will either have the option to buy in advance or have it added for free (like universal). Price increases for everyone else with a daily surge pricing model.

I think they keep the $15 for the deluxe guest as one of the “perks” of that tier.

What about people who have already added it ahead of time? Are they grandfathered in somehow? Disney tech isn’t the greatest, hope they can manage it.

I saw this issue coming a mile away. It doesn't take a genius to realize, hmm, FP return times booked out by midday for almost every ride. You start charging people for it and running out of time slots, it is going to be an issue. I said from day one that they are way overselling them. It makes you wonder if these people making these decisions have ever actually toured the parks like a normal person.

I'm extremely frustrated that we have no idea what kind of trip we're going to have when we get to WDW now. You plan and plan and can have the rug pulled out from under you last minute. What's next?

So....Will you get a virtual queue? Will you get Genie+? You have to set your family up for the potential disappointment of not riding many rides or any of the headliners now. In other words, not getting a good ROI on the cost of your trip if rides is your focus.

If they had pulled this before we bought our tickets, I would have cancelled our trip. As it is, I'm kicking myself for not purchasing Gene+ for our entire trip. We only needed 1 day...or so I thought.

This may very well be the straw that broke the camel's back for us. We'll see what gem they come up with next. I only have faith that Disney will screw it up worse. But I think this is it for us...if this is still policy when we go later this summer.
We feel the same way. Already burned out on all of the hassle associated with Disney planning we’re tapping out. We are returning in a few weeks and once again rules have changed right before we get there. I can say with 100% certainty that we won’t be doing the 12:00 AM-7:00 AM thing, and likely not Genie plus at all.

After decades of Disney and DVC Loyalty, this will be our farewell trip. Lots of pool and down time at the Beach Club with a laid back approach. Maybe a park or two during our week stay using our annual passes but that’s about it. Personally I’m happy to pay for convenience on vacation but now I feel like I’m shelling out significant cash for the opposite. Peace out.

What about people who have already added it ahead of time? Are they grandfathered in somehow? Disney tech isn’t the greatest, hope they can manage it.

If you've already added G+ or add it before June 8th you should be OK. You'll also no longer be able to pre-book G+ for 2023 vacations. If anyone thinks they may want to use G+ for a 2022 trip, I'd recommend thinking about adding it to your tickets before 6/8.

As I understand it, if you purchased G+ as part of your ticket, you will not be affected. In fact, there are numerous reports of others adding G+ to their tickets still (they have to call).

We bought it for our entire stay between Xmas and New Years because we thought it was likely they would raise the price or change the system based on (1) the frustrations of guests and (2) how many people are buying G+. I think they want to make a lot of money and hear less complaints.

Genie+ is still very new and I believe we will see multiple iterations before they land on a system that works for them just like they did FastPass (which had its own rule changes throughout its time). I’ve said this in one of my older posts…we are in an experimental phase of the “skip the line” feature and Disney will continue to shift and adjust until they find what they’re looking for. A lot of speculation on here as to what will happen. I think we need to wait and see how things unfold. There is clearly frustration from guests from the fact that the system continues to evolve. Couple that with people claiming they know exactly when it will sell out or what they will need to do to get G+ (basically doom and gloom)…It’s freaking people out.

All we know is that they say it’s subject to availability now. We have no idea what that will look like or when G+ might potentially sell out. For all we know, this change could be a great thing. Fewer people allowed to use LL will keep more availability open to those guests and allows the standby lines to move quicker. The real question is…what are the two magic numbers: the price of G+ and the number they sell on a given day? Tons of factors here to consider here.

We need data before determining if this a better, worse, or lateral change.

If you purchased it ahead of time already - you are good. But 2023 tickets and vacation packages won't go on sale until June 8th, so beginning in 2023 - nobody will have Genie+ included in their tickets (unless they still sell them to international customers).

I assume that all tickets, including 2022 tickets will not include Genie+ after June 8th, 2022.

As I understand it, if you purchased G+ as part of your ticket, you will not be affected. In fact, there are numerous reports of others adding G+ to their tickets still (they have to call).

We bought it for our entire stay between Xmas and New Years because we thought it was likely they would raise the price or change the system based on (1) the frustrations of guests and (2) how many people are buying G+. I think they want to make a lot of money and hear less complaints.

Genie+ is still very new and I believe we will see multiple iterations before they land on a system that works for them just like they did FastPass (which had its own rule changes throughout its time). I’ve said this in one of my older posts…we are in an experimental phase of the “skip the line” feature and Disney will continue to shift and adjust until they find what they’re looking for. A lot of speculation on here as to what will happen. I think we need to wait and see how things unfold. There is clearly frustration from guests from the fact that the system continues to evolve. Couple that with people claiming they know exactly when it will sell out or what they will need to do to get G+ (basically doom and gloom)…It’s freaking people out.

All we know is that they say it’s subject to availability now. We have no idea what that will look like or when G+ might potentially sell out. For all we know, this change could be a great thing. Fewer people allowed to use LL will keep more availability open to those guests and allows the standby lines to move quicker. The real question is…what are the two magic numbers: the price of G+ and the number they sell on a given day? Tons of factors here to consider here.

We need data before determining if this a better, worse, or lateral change.

Out of curiosity....when was the last time Disney implemented a big change like this that was a positive change? People love to say "let's wait and see" but Disney's track record on this hasn't been encouraging at all.

I saw this issue coming a mile away. It doesn't take a genius to realize, hmm, FP return times booked out by midday for almost every ride. You start charging people for it and running out of time slots, it is going to be an issue. I said from day one that they are way overselling them. It makes you wonder if these people making these decisions have ever actually toured the parks like a normal person.
It was way underpriced. It’s a useless feature if everyone has it.

The price needs to triple at least. You control demand with pricing.

They could still sell it ahead of time and have a cap. 60 days out - get online and secure your genie+. If it sells out then it sells out. Sort of like ADRs. At least then nobody is staying up til midnight for it every night of vacation to then get up at 7 to do LL. It’s ridiculous to do it day by day.
This has nothing to do with capping sales. It's to raise the price by demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter