Disney Wonder - family of 5

KantLose

Mouseketeer
We are reviewing our stateroom options for Alaska and are currently in 2 connecting oceanviews. I am wondering if I should change to a Family Verandah instead as it would be about the same price (two verandas is a big jump in cost so not an option at the moment). We have only sailed on the Dream and Fantasy and have always had the single family verandah room and it's worked fine. Appreciate any insights on pros and cons, particularly if you are a family of 5. TIA!

Last edited:
What are the ages of the kids? There is a big difference having the entire family with little ones sharing one room for a week vs the entire family with teenagers sharing one room for a week.

What are the ages of the kids? There is a big difference having the entire family with little ones sharing one room for a week vs the entire family with teenagers sharing one room for a week.
Will be 9, 12, & 14 by this cruise which is why we booked the two connecting, but then I wondered if we’d miss the verandah.

Will be 9, 12, & 14 by this cruise which is why we booked the two connecting, but then I wondered if we’d miss the verandah.
Try this (mentally if need be): Pack everyone's suitcases for the 7 day trip to Alaska and move the kids and suitcases into your master bedroom (aka The Family Veranda). Lockout the kid's bedrooms and bathrooms and the entire family will sleep, change clothes, use the bathroom, and entertain for an entire week in your bedroom. Realistically, only you will know if everyone will enjoy the experience.

The Deluxe Family Oceanview with Verandah was our preferred choice with our two kids. We did that category for our Alaskan cruise a few years back. It will be tight with three kids, but you can make it work. I think the Verandah is a big plus during the AK cruises.

Family of five here (all girls). Whether or not to verandah is one of the toughest questions. Sometimes, just sometimes, you may end up on the "wrong" side from where the action is (although they do try to navigate so that experiences are shared). I think the question may also be boys or girls when it comes to the extra bathrooms question. We found separate rooms work better for us.

Plus, you also need to quantify just how much time you'd normally spend in the cabin anyway. It's way too convenient when the whole ship is a 2 minute walk away to stay crammed in your room. Five people on a verandah is going to be crowded. Personally, I like to be on Deck 10 to see as much of everything as I can. The only drawback may be some wet weather but that's as easy issue to overcome, especially now that the Wonder has the little bus stop enclosures up top.

Keep in mind that in the Family Veranda room, when the pull-down bed is lowered, it will be difficult to access the veranda. If you won't want to get to the veranda in the morning or after dinner, this won't be a problem, but it could limit the usefulness of the veranda.

We have sailed in a Family Veranda with 2 teenagers, and it was do-able. With 3 tween/teens, though, it might be tight. I appreciated having a Category 4 rather than a Category 5 because we could sit on the sofa even while the bunk and wall bed were down, but that won't be an option with people in all 3 single beds.

If the cost of the 2 options is truly the same, I would probably go with the the connected Oceanview room to have the extra space for luggage and the extra bathrooms. Especially if you'll be on excursions during the day, you should be able to see the landscape from other places on the ship when you want to.

Try this (mentally if need be): Pack everyone's suitcases for the 7 day trip to Alaska and move the kids and suitcases into your master bedroom (aka The Family Veranda). Lockout the kid's bedrooms and bathrooms and the entire family will sleep, change clothes, use the bathroom, and entertain for an entire week in your bedroom. Realistically, only you will know if everyone will enjoy the experience.
We are going to be on the Fantasy for a 4 day soon, so I think that will be a good test to see how we are in one room now that the kids are bigger. I am thinking we will also have more luggage on Alaska trip given the extra days and also needing to bring jackets and more sturdy shoes - not just bathing suits and flip flops like the Caribbean. 🙂

Would you put the kids in an inside room across the hall? You may be able to get a verandah and an inside for less than 2 oceanview rooms. One adult will need to be on each room reservation, but sleeping arrangements don’t matter.
Hadn’t thought of that. Not sure if my youngest would be okay with not being in connected, but it’s something to think about.

I think it depends on how much you value a verandah. We don't use them even when we do have them. We prefer to be out and about, and get fresh air/views from the upper decks. But, some people spend hours on them and won't sail without them. We had one for Alaska and still barely used it. We spent most of our time sightseeing on deck 9. In hindsight, I wish we hadn't spent the money. But, if you really think you will use it and enjoy it, then maybe the reduced space and 1 bathroom would be worth it.

We are in the exact same situation (family of 5, just booked Alaska). We asked our kids what they preferred and, hands down, they all voted to have 2 connecting oceanview rooms.

We had done a verandah prior and spent more time outside the room on the upper decks when sightseeing.

Both good choices, of course, but an extra bathroom and more room is a nice bonus

After all of our cruises on DCL, staying in almost all types of rooms - even concierge, we normally get Oceanview cabins. But, for Alaska, we did a verandah. The two girls were across the hall in an inside. They came across the hall and on to the verandah to see the sights. Best setup for Alaska. The girls have been in their own inside cabin since they were teenagers.

The Deluxe Family Oceanview with Verandah was our preferred choice with our two kids. We did that category for our Alaskan cruise a few years back. It will be tight with three kids, but you can make it work. I think the Verandah is a big plus during the AK cruises.
WE had 5 in our room. The Verandah was invaluable to us. We were out there EVERY DAY with blankets, coffee, hot chocolate. I just loved it. We dealt with the one bathroom and luggage fine. Just our experience. You know your family best.

We are a family of 5 who have always stayed in a single family verandah room (4A) for 10 cruises starting from the time our kids were 9, 12 and 15. We have found that this stateroom category is perfect for us as we spend lots of time on the verandah making it much more important to us than having a second bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter