Disney Stock News & Earnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Disney knows this, it is their stated reason for moving to higher cost variable pricing by day/season, to try and even out attendance and improve the guest experience.
But so many on here want to complain about increased cost and too many crowds - what effect do they think lower prices would have on crowds??????

See, I've said this before on this forum, and i'll say it again, raising prices to lower the crowd issues is the lazy way out. Open a 5th gate, or add onto the existing ones that will eat crowds up. 3 of the parks could use a lot more attractions to eat the crowds.

there arent enough parks/attractions onsite now to support the number of hotels on property.

See, I've said this before on this forum, and i'll say it again, raising prices to lower the crowd issues is the lazy way out. Open a 5th gate, or add onto the existing ones that will eat crowds up. 3 of the parks could use a lot more attractions to eat the crowds.

there arent enough parks/attractions onsite now to support the number of hotels on property.

That’s really the problem. There aren’t enough attractions and things to do. They need more attractions per guest. Lots of time is spent walking and on transport that could be spent on rides and in gift shops.

However, the other argument is that if no one cares, why spend more money?

That’s really the problem. There aren’t enough attractions and things to do. They need more attractions per guest. Lots of time is spent walking and on transport that could be spent on rides and in gift shops.

However, the other argument is that if no one cares, why spend more money?

Because long term you are building or maintaining a brand by offering new exciting things. Just raising prices is a short term mentality that will lead to bankruptcy.

Name one company that has been around forever.

I was just thinking about a training the other day where you react quickly to a company logo/brand like Starbucks etc. McDonald’s has a way different reaction today than yesterday. Many more have negative associations today even though in its heyday it was seemingly unstoppable. That can happen to Disney. They can not see themselves as invincible. The rich crowd can easily cancel Disney as yesterday’s overpriced sucker spot. They need to keep the value with those appreciate its inherent offering. A family friendly, safe, affordable entertainment vacation haven. They need to cater to the budget minded who like to splurge and make it a go-to happy place. Meaning add value where it counts. And if that means adding more shows and attractions to keep crowds manageable then that’s what needs to be prioritized. Not creative new experiences only for the expensive elite while slashing simple fun for the masses.

You wouldn’t go out of your way to add a Godzilla statue to church parking lot to attract more once in a lifetime members who might drop a big offering in the bucket. Or would you? Maybe.

Last edited:

I agree, they need more crowd eaters but i fear they would say they have tried over the last few years with new lands like Pandora and SW. We all like to call Chapek a cost cutter but he's overseen gigantic spending on the parks the last few years.

And that's a great point - what was the plan with all the hotel occupancy, where did they plan to put all those people??

what was the plan with all the hotel occupancy, where did they plan to put all those people??
Do you suppose that they think all those people will perhaps stay off property?

Because long term you are building or maintaining a brand by offering new exciting things. Just raising prices is a short term mentality that will lead to bankruptcy.

Name one company that has been around forever.

I mean, it's not like they're NOT building new, exciting things - maybe they just aren't building enough of them!

they're replacing things with new things, which i agree next to happen, but they need to add entire new things without closing others. they need new things to eat the crowds.

Seems to me that they are building Ratatouille and TRON where there was nothing, and while SWGE and Toy Story Land took away the Backlot Tour and Lights, Motors, Action, there is a net-gain of two attractions too. Pandora also really only took away Camp Minnie/Mickey whch only had FOTLK and that was moved to an entirely new venue too. I mean, yeah, sure, they could do more, but they are still adding things. I do think they are getting close to critical mass on adding that fifth gate.

In addition to @BrianL notes above, they also have the Avengers attraction being built at Epcot.

In addition to @BrianL notes above, they also have the Avengers attraction being built at Epcot.

It's Guardians of the Galaxy, and technically it replaced Energy so I am not counting it. They are creating the PLAY Pavillion in the old Wonders of Life building though, and while that is technically a replacement, the former has been closed for decades reall, so I think it counts as new.

It just annoys me when people say they never add anything anymore - they clearly do. Maybe it isn't exactly what you want or as much as you want, but they are doing it.

Seems to me that they are building Ratatouille and TRON where there was nothing, and while SWGE and Toy Story Land took away the Backlot Tour and Lights, Motors, Action, there is a net-gain of two attractions too. Pandora also really only took away Camp Minnie/Mickey whch only had FOTLK and that was moved to an entirely new venue too. I mean, yeah, sure, they could do more, but they are still adding things. I do think they are getting close to critical mass on adding that fifth gate.

DHS, EPCOT, and AK all three could be expanded upon to eat more crowds. Look at the number of attractions MK has vs the other 3.

they're replacing things with new things, which i agree needs to happen, but they need to add entire new things without closing others. they need new things to eat the crowds.

They don’t. They can limit capacity and charge more, which is what park reservations helps them do. What they then want to do is maximize the spend per guest. And they only have to be good enough to compete with alternatives.

Now, look at the new ship, Wish. The big draw is the super expensive rooms. Nothing else really stands out. No idea what they were thinking with this ship.

And it’s really a media company. That’s where a lot of their spend goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter