Disney Stock News & Earnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day all of this is terrible for consumer prices.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Might be better to reduce the number of streaming services. If you want to watch everything, you have to subscribe to what, 5-6+ different services? Certainly feels that way :P More mergers reduces the number of streaming services.... could make it more manageable.

Media consolidation is not always a bad thing. And in this case, it's kinda like musical chairs... just shifting things around. Everything is already owned by a relatively small number of companies -- more mergers just kinda shifts that around slightly. Don't get me wrong, in also absolutely can be a bad thing. But doesn't have to be! And it MIGHT result in better deals for consumers.

Bob I. is cashing out half his holdings:
disney-chairman-bob-iger-sells

Over a 600% gain in share price during his tenure (vs. less than half that for the S&P).

Also the rumors are still floating around the business news that the Bob's are not getting along, as Iger nears retirement.

Bob I. is cashing out half his holdings:
disney-chairman-bob-iger-sells

Over a 600% gain in share price during his tenure (vs. less than half that for the S&P).

Also the rumors are still floating around the business news that the Bob's are not getting along, as Iger nears retirement.

Never a good sign when a current senior executive sells that much of their stock, Kiddies it's time to sell now because the other shoe is gonna drop hard, considering the theaters are not open that means the studios are running on fumes.

As to the Bobs not getting along it makes sense because Iger lavishes money and attention on the media empire, Chapek wants to take his machete and axe to the Studios, he thinks he'll just use the Pixar and WDAS 'brand' and just outsource it all to china. Chapek is a typical american 'write a check' executive not realizing that contracting everything out means you have nothing to sell that your contractors cant do cheaper and better eventually

Never a good sign when a current senior executive sells that much of their stock, Kiddies it's time to sell now because the other shoe is gonna drop hard, considering the theaters are not open that means the studios are running on fumes.

As to the Bobs not getting along it makes sense because Iger lavishes money and attention on the media empire, Chapek wants to take his machete and axe to the Studios, he thinks he'll just use the Pixar and WDAS 'brand' and just outsource it all to china. Chapek is a typical american 'write a check' executive not realizing that contracting everything out means you have nothing to sell that your contractors cant do cheaper and better eventually

Well, in most places theaters are open - just not a lot of people are going to them. We'll have to see if that changes., Black Widow should be a good test. If people don't get out to see a Marvel movie, they ain't getting out to see anything!

I mean, I get it, Chapek isn't great, but there's no way they kill the studio. That's just not gonna happen.

Well, in most places theaters are open - just not a lot of people are going to them. We'll have to see if that changes., Black Widow should be a good test. If people don't get out to see a Marvel movie, they ain't getting out to see anything!

I mean, I get it, Chapek isn't great, but there's no way they kill the studio. That's just not gonna happen.

Well up here in New England movie theaters are still chained shut as are the ones in California, As to the studios Chapek wants to outsource anything he possibly can, Yah the studios will still technically exist but everything will be done by contracted providers, There is no intent to kill the Studios but they may die from lack of creativity and the inability to take risks. How much of a gamble was the original 'Star Wars' 10M budget and 100% risk. Chapek would never take that risk,

That's the model he's been pushing all over the Disney empire, heck how many restaurants and stores in WDW are contracted outlets and staff.

Even Imagineering is now primarily on a contract basis and that was probably a big reason Joe Rohde left. because how many things at Disney took years to get 'right' and getting them that way was the subject of endless hallway conversations as opposed to I need you to build X for me in 120 days.

I had no idea New England was still locked down! Even in the Peoples Republic of NJ/NY/CT, theaters are open and today, in NJ at least, all capacity limits have been lifted. Last weekends boxoffice was not that bad, considering.

I had no idea New England was still locked down! Even in the Peoples Republic of NJ/NY/CT, theaters are open and today, in NJ at least, all capacity limits have been lifted. Last weekends boxoffice was not that bad, considering.

It’s bizzare up here, Outdoor team sports require a mask, however restaurants and bars are fully open without masking, movie theaters and health clubs are chained shut literally.

The Regal multiplex still has only the advertisements for streaming on the marquee.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Might be better to reduce the number of streaming services. If you want to watch everything, you have to subscribe to what, 5-6+ different services? Certainly feels that way :P More mergers reduces the number of streaming services.... could make it more manageable.

Media consolidation is not always a bad thing. And in this case, it's kinda like musical chairs... just shifting things around. Everything is already owned by a relatively small number of companies -- morem mergers just kinda shifts that around slightly. Don't get me wrong, in also absolutely can be a bad thing. But doesn't have to be! And it MIGHT result in better deals for consumers.

Its an executive ego thing to have their own streaming service. Remember Hulu was a joint venture of Disney, Fox, CBS and NBCU/Comcast Now we have Disney+, Paramount+, CBS/All Access and Peacock. I no longer watch enough TV to justify joining all those I wss happy with Amazon prime and Hulu.

Well up here in New England movie theaters are still chained shut as are the ones in California, As to the studios Chapek wants to outsource anything he possibly can, Yah the studios will still technically exist but everything will be done by contracted providers, There is no intent to kill the Studios but they may die from lack of creativity and the inability to take risks. How much of a gamble was the original 'Star Wars' 10M budget and 100% risk. Chapek would never take that risk,

That's the model he's been pushing all over the Disney empire, heck how many restaurants and stores in WDW are contracted outlets and staff.

Even Imagineering is now primarily on a contract basis and that was probably a big reason Joe Rohde left. because how many things at Disney took years to get 'right' and getting them that way was the subject of endless hallway conversations as opposed to I need you to build X for me in 120 days.
Movie theaters are open in MA (which was the strictest of the NE states) and started opening sometime in April. They’ve been open in other NE states since at least late 2020. Masks have also been dropped for outside youth sports but that didn’t happen until late May and not all NE states required them. Although participants were required to wear them, most of them wore them on their chins.

Movie theaters are open in MA (which was the strictest of the NE states) and started opening sometime in April. They’ve been open in other NE states since at least late 2020. Masks have also been dropped for outside youth sports but that didn’t happen until late May and not all NE states required them. Although participants were required to wear them, most of them wore them on their chins.

i can assure you the theaters are closed tight as a drum in NH and Maine. In NH and Maine youth sports still require them.

i can assure you the theaters are closed tight as a drum in NH and Maine. In NH and Maine youth sports still require them.
They are absolutely not required in NH. My kid plays on multiple teams out of NH and the only time he has worn a mask this spring was in MA. He hasn’t worn one in NH since he was still playing indoors in February. He also did not wear a mask outdoors last fall on two different teams-only when they moved to indoors. As of last weekend they were no longer required to be worn in MA either. We were at a tournament and no players had masks.

I also know multiple people who posted pics of themselves on FB in the movie theater around Christmas time in NH. It was drastically reduced capacity with masks but they were open. They are now open without masks. The NH governor eased up on restrictions and capacity limits months ago.

Theaters in MA started opening in July 2020. They were super limited capacity and you couldn't eat food inside, but they did open.

Theaters in MA started opening in July 2020. They were super limited capacity and you couldn't eat food inside, but they did open.
I wasn’t sure on MA as I live in NH which has been a little more lenient. I had looked up Boston and saw the mention of April to respond to the original poster who said EVERYTHING was still locked down across all of New England which is completely false. 😀

There is a theatre in Epping NH showing Vaya, for instance. Cruella is listed in multiple communities here in NH. There is lots of local variations on what is allowed for in-person viewings across our great country. At the end of the day, the benefit to Disney earnings will still be questionable in my opinion. And I say that as more movie viewing public improves home viewing with smart TVs and Disney+. Continuing a trend that started years ago. I don't think the unintended consequences of keeping people at home are all known, ripples throughout our 'normal' lives will continue for months to come. Can you really compare the box office receipts from 2018 to 2022? Or do we need to reset the scales for pre and post pandemic?

There is just no way they haven’t been operating at a very big surplus at WDW for a while now. They are spending millions less on staffing and the parks are still more crowded than they were 20 years ago.

They have it down to a science right now making the most efficient day possible to maximize profits from each guest. There’s just now way a few hotels sitting empty and the others less full is brining down the theme park revenue enough for it to be a loss.

The only reason they have kept it as minimal as possible is because they know they can get away with it even if it only increases profits by a tiny bit at a huge cost to the customer. They realize they have almost a monopoly something everyone wants. The only way to keep the product as good as it once was is to expand, but that takes risk, though for them they know it’s pretty minimal risk.

A 3rd US resort would undoubtedly be successful. But they can make the same thing just by increasing capacity and ticket prices and holding together what they’ve got with duct tape. Obviously I’m being hyperbolic, they go above and beyond to create good show most of the time. And I’m sure they had some incredible things planned for the 50th.

you’re exactly right. Crowds in the parks have created a diminished experience the last 6-7 years. We would typically do our fast passes, squeeze in a few other rides and shows and head back to the resort. Major net new rides (not adding two rides in Star Wars land from old areas) in multiple parks is needed or a 5th gate.

Reactions: AJA
you’re exactly right. Crowds in the parks have created a diminished experience the last 6-7 years.
And Disney knows this, it is their stated reason for moving to higher cost variable pricing by day/season, to try and even out attendance and improve the guest experience.
But so many on here want to complain about increased cost and too many crowds - what effect do they think lower prices would have on crowds??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter