Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

This is where I think the Skyliner from TTC to Magic Kingdom should run.
See red mark on photo the east side of Seven Seas Lagoon.
It could start and end on the inside of the monorail beam. Pick up and drop off in the bus areas and most of the run over land
View attachment 454801

I think the only thing I might point out is that this land N of TTC has repeatedly been deemed unusable for resort buildings. Obviously a smaller footprint but the tower foundations need good ground. Never say never though I guess.

I would be really bummed to see the Skyliner expanded to the MK area, although it wouldn’t surprise me (if all goes well with Riviera sales and the skyliner) for Disney to want to connect Reflections, and then WL and FW, to MK via skyliner.

The aesthetics of the MK, the resorts surrounding the lagoon, the monorail, and the boats are so iconic I would be really sad to see the Skyliner be placed anywhere near there. I wouldn’t give that up for the convenience of the Skyliner, you know if anyone is asking me 😂.

I think the only thing I might point out is that this land N of TTC has repeatedly been deemed unusable for resort buildings. Obviously a smaller footprint but the tower foundations need good ground. Never say never though I guess.
This land could be used if they wanted.

Unsuitable just means more expensive to prepare.

I would be really bummed to see the Skyliner expanded to the MK area, although it wouldn’t surprise me (if all goes well with Riviera sales and the skyliner) for Disney to want to connect Reflections, and then WL and FW, to MK via skyliner.

The aesthetics of the MK, the resorts surrounding the lagoon, the monorail, and the boats are so iconic I would be really sad to see the Skyliner be placed anywhere near there. I wouldn’t give that up for the convenience of the Skyliner, you know if anyone is asking me 😂.
They used to have similar vehicles within the MK. So in some sense they would be restoring the original look.

Wanted to add a few thoughts as I head home from my stay at CBR: the Skyliner is a game changer. CBR is probably the only hotel we’d stay at, especially after a few unpleasant bus experiences on this trip.

We were in the building closest to the Riviera station, so we used that to head to Epcot and the Boardwalk area, while we opted to walk to the main terminal if going to DHS. They’re definitely going to have to do more staff training prior to Riviera opening; the CM I spoke to said they were only leaving one cabin open when leaving the main terminal to be filled at Riviera, and he had no idea what ratio they would use once the hotel was open. When leaving Epcot one night, we were placed with another group who were staying on to the terminal. We caused a brief line stop as we tripped over them with our stroller to get off at Riviera. I’d imagine that as that becomes a more popular destination, the Epcot CMs will have to ask where you’ll be departing the gondola?

One morning, we had a breakfast reservation at Cape May, and had planned on driving because it was so early. When I saw the Skyliner running, I jogged to the station to see if we could take it instead. They told us they were open, but the gate in between the IG and the Boardwalk area was still locked when we got there, and security said they weren’t supposed to be sending people over that early.

We ended almost every night at Epcot, riding the Skyliner probably 8-10 times during our trip, and experienced a single 5 minute stop once. I’m 6 months pregnant and do have a history of anxiety, but have been stable for about a year. I had zero problems due to either issue on the Skyliner. If I’d been stuck for 3 hours, I might feel differently, but I’ve heard of enough recent issues on the monorail that I figured it wouldn’t make a difference, and I was much more concerned with my safety on an overcrowded bus, especially in Disney Springs traffic. I’d love to see the Skyliner expanded, although there are still a few personnel issues to work out I think.

While waiting almost an hour last night for a bus from AK we were nearly crying to be on the Skyliner. It really is a game changer.

Bought the ornament, too. ;)
Awh, the ornaments did not appear to be out yet when we were there. We saw racks for them, but nothing on the rack. They were pushing the Funko Pop Skyliner on our 2nd to last day. Some hats, water bottles and t-shirts that seem way too small to be adult sizes, yet I guess they were.

Awh, the ornaments did not appear to be out yet when we were there. We saw racks for them, but nothing on the rack. They were pushing the Funko Pop Skyliner on our 2nd to last day. Some hats, water bottles and t-shirts that seem way too small to be adult sizes, yet I guess they were.

They just put them out on Thanksgiving. Went back through last night and grabbed 2 more designs they had just put out.

When leaving Epcot one night, we were placed with another group who were staying on to the terminal. We caused a brief line stop as we tripped over them with our stroller to get off at Riviera. I’d imagine that as that becomes a more popular destination, the Epcot CMs will have to ask where you’ll be departing the gondola?
They could use the split last row of the queue to segregate Riviera from CBR Guests.

Rode it yesterday between Pop and DHS, then the return. Incredibly quick, great views. My wife was not on board with it at all until we actually rode it, she liked it a lot. And she hates anything that is high or swings. She told me this is how we are going to EPCOT tomorrow.

If you're nervous about trying the Skyliner, I recommend getting on at CBR destined for Epcot. If you hate it, you can bail at Riviera in about 30 seconds.

We absolutely loved the Skyliner during our trip 11/17-11/25. It was amazing. We stayed at Pop, and the Skyliner was so quick, quiet, and efficient. I would have a hard time staying anywhere other than Pop if we ever return, we loved it that much.

My only gripe about the Skyliner is that it really makes me dislike the bus system that much more! Having to take the bus to MK was torture after days of exclusively riding the Skyliner!

I also love that we always get a seat and don’t have to be packed in so uncomfortably like the bus. Our bus mojo was bad this trip... we rarely ever got a seat. We were so done with the buses, we ended up taking a Minnie Van back from MK 2 nights...$100 (including tip) for 2 short rides. 😬

I think the Skyliner is a huge success and a very positive addition to the Disney experience.

Certainly seems like the skyliner has won many people over. A nice change from the doom and gloom of the first week.

Aside from the first week fiasco, does anyone see a good reason why Disney would not use this technology for another line in the future?
Curious to know if it has reduced bus dispatches. Ultimately it has to prove to save a few $$ to make the investment worth it.

Certainly seems like the skyliner has won many people over. A nice change from the doom and gloom of the first week.

Aside from the first week fiasco, does anyone see a good reason why Disney would not use this technology for another line in the future?
Curious to know if it has reduced bus dispatches. Ultimately it has to prove to save a few $$ to make the investment worth it.
This is the yet unanswered question. Since they seem to be running the buses in parallel, at a fairly frequent rate, it doesn't seem like they are ready to make that switch yet. I'm wondering how much the Week 1 disaster (and despite my support of the Skyliner, there is no way to characterize what happened Week 1 except as a disaster both operationally and especially from a PR standpoint) has changed the thought process on buses. I still think they eventually cut the buses way back on Skyliner routes. Maybe a single combined bus through the Skyliner resorts every 20 - 30 minutes, but we will see.

I think they still need the bus fleet at full strength at park open and close times. I'm thinking they start to cut back mid-day, and perhaps start combining routes.
They also need to deal with Riviera coming on-line was well to figure out ridership, and deal with additional bus needs. Keep in mind Riviera guests still need to get to AK and MK, so those are additional bus routes. I don't see them sharing a bus with CBR for those routes.
I can see a combined bus for CBR and riviera for Epcot, as well as another combined bus route for DHS.

I think they still need the bus fleet at full strength at park open and close times. I'm thinking they start to cut back mid-day, and perhaps start combining routes.
They also need to deal with Riviera coming on-line was well to figure out ridership, and deal with additional bus needs. Keep in mind Riviera guests still need to get to AK and MK, so those are additional bus routes. I don't see them sharing a bus with CBR for those routes.
I can see a combined bus for CBR and riviera for Epcot, as well as another combined bus route for DHS.
No. I see the sharing only being along Skyliner routes.

I think they need to go thru a summer first, to see how difficult handling weather impacts will be. Disney's efforts during the few weather shutdowns we've had so far have not been very impressive.

That will feed into the the determination of how much staffing they need to run for the buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!