Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think it was I, but @Lift Blog might have as well. Here's a better view (the cabin on the left is the WAV, and the door opener rail has retracted for it):
View attachment 443203

ETA: OK, you surreptitiously replaced the photo, so now mine is not a better view, but it does show the difference between a WAV and a regular cabin. ;)

Where a good place where all the mechanics and how the gondolas function are documented? Is there a website or something? Can someone provide a link?

That's my point. Just because GPS is possible doesn't mean they have your location when you call.

The tech exists to get your GPS from your phone but does that particular 911 operator have the systems needed to get it? Maybe/maybe not. Remember these are government systems and they could be 10 years old which is too old to have this tech. Plus each 911 center is payed by different jurisdictions so who knows if they green lit an upgrade since the tech was available. Just look at websites for government offices. They aren't the latest and greatest. We are lucky they are on the web at all. Add to that that if some hiccup occurs between your phone, which might be roaming at the time (especially if you are from out of state), they might not be able to get it either. Just too many variables to rely on it. That is why I wouldn't expect them to use it as the primary means of determining what gondola someone is on.
All true. I only disagreed with your statement regarding the requirement of a court order to access phone gps

ETA: OK, you surreptitiously replaced the photo, so now mine is not a better view, but it does show the difference between a WAV and a regular cabin. ;)
Yeah I found the article I had read, but then remembered a better photo in the comments.

So in your photo is the WAV leaving its load area traveling L to R? And therefore the doors are not tripped so they remain closed through the normal load area?

Last edited:
Where a good place where all the mechanics and how the gondolas function are documented? Is there a website or something? Can someone provide a link?
Liftblog.com tracks and discusses cableway installations, incidents etc all over the world. They have tracked the Skyliner from the beginning and pointed out interesting features regarding its design and operation. Here is a link to a number of their Skyliner articles

https://liftblog.com/?s=Skyliner
Additionally Doppelmayr has several videos on their website that show operational intricacies and capabilities. I have been fascinated to learn a bit more of how it all works.

Yeah I found the article I had read, but then remembered a better photo in the comments.

So in your photo is the WAV leaving its load area traveling L to R? And therefore the doors are not tripped so they remain closed through the normal load area?
No, it's at the entrance to the station. The cabins are moving L to right. The regular cabin on the right has passed the door opener and it's doors are open in unload area. The WAV on the left is approaching the door opener. This was at CBR station, so the bullwheel that's visible on the left is driving the line. Here's the video again:

We are going to WDW next month. I am debating whether we should ride this just for fun?? We aren't going anywhere where we HAVE to take the Skyliner, but it might be neat to ride on it. I'm just not sure it is worth leaving Epcot to do it.
We will be there the middle of November. My kids were really looking forward to riding it. As was myself. I hope they're up and running by then, but not holding my breath.

Your @gwynne update on the Skyliner today.
I am currently standing waiting for Friendship boats. No passengers on the Skyliner, but we are watching the gondolas go. Only a couple of security guards at entrance. Past days there have been 3 or 4 cm's in addition to the guards.

Edited to add: gondolas now stopped, some guy with a long pole with a hook on the end is going down, touching the top of the each gondola link. (Sorry for non precise language.)

Last edited:
This video is a very nice primer on how detachable lifts work:

http://gondolaproject.com/ has some info about how things work, but the site is difficult to navigate and some of the info is outdated (like their discussion of turns doesn't include the method used at WDW). I suggest using a Google site specific search by adding "site:gondolaproject.com" to a search (e.g.: "site:gondolaproject.com turns").

So attached is a very crude drawing of what I was trying to describe as a possibility. I realize that one particular issue with something like this, because it's a pass-through station, would be determining which cars to pass off into the side loop in a design like this. I assume that the way they're currently doing it in Riviera is slowing down and opening the doors, then people either get out or they don't, and if they stay in the car, the doors eventually close and they move along to Epcot/CBR hub. With my not-to-scale, preschool-level, non-engineering background drawing, I realize that they'd need to know not only if a car is coming with an ECV, but also if that ECV passenger is getting off at Riviera.

Edited to add: Those black lines in the middle that look like Roman numerals (if you didn't know how to value them) are supposed to be stairs - you'd have to have people come up into the middle of the station at the platform to between the loop and the main boarding area.

I think they could have done something like that - but keep in mind you need to have the pathways for peopel to come from Riveira to the one side of the station and then away from the other side and now you have segments they would have to go under or over. I know you drew the stairs, but now you are forcing people to use stairs which is problematic when you have strollers, small kids, tired legs, etc.

I think in the end they decided for the small % of people that would be getting on / off at Rivera vs staying on and then the small % of that small % that would have an ECV the trade off wasn't worth it and tried to keep it as simple as possible. If you try to make every system ideal for every single person it just gets to be too much. So you have to make it so every person can use it, for sure, but perhaps not what you would do in ideal setting

No, it's at the entrance to the station. The cabins are moving L to right. The regular cabin on the right has passed the door opener and it's doors are open in unload area. The WAV on the left is approaching the door opener. This was at CBR station, so the bullwheel that's visible on the left is driving the line. Here's the video again:

Thank you! I’m sorry I missed that video before. I really do enjoy seeing how some of the mechanisms operate and are controlled.

Last edited:
Your @gwynne update on the Skyliner today.
I am currently standing waiting for Friendship boats. No passengers on the Skyliner, but we are watching the gondolas go. Only a couple of security guards at entrance. Past days there have been 3 or 4 cm's in addition to the guards.

Edited to add: gondolas now stopped, some guy with a long pole with a hook on the end is going down, touching the top of the each gondola link. (Sorry for non precise language.)
Did you happen to get a picture? I'm curious what this is testing.

Did you happen to get a picture? I'm curious what this is testing.
I didn't get a photo of the guy with the long pole with a hook on the end. They were loading the boats and I had to go. This photo is from about 5 minutes before. The gondolas were basically in this position while he was working. He tapped? touched? the top connection fairly quickly and then went to the next gondola.
IMG_20191011_124616~2-1107x794.jpg

All true. I only disagreed with your statement regarding the requirement of a court order to access phone gps

Oh thanks!

Liftblog.com tracks and discusses cableway installations, incidents etc all over the world. They have tracked the Skyliner from the beginning and pointed out interesting features regarding its design and operation. Here is a link to a number of their Skyliner articles

https://liftblog.com/?s=Skyliner
Additionally Doppelmayr has several videos on their website that show operational intricacies and capabilities. I have been fascinated to learn a bit more of how it all works.

Thanks I'll be checking those out. I like knowing logistics of things.

This video is a very nice primer on how detachable lifts work:

http://gondolaproject.com/ has some info about how things work, but the site is difficult to navigate and some of the info is outdated (like their discussion of turns doesn't include the method used at WDW). I suggest using a Google site specific search by adding "site:gondolaproject.com" to a search (e.g.: "site:gondolaproject.com turns").

Thanks!

I didn't get a photo of the guy with the long pole with a hook on the end. They were loading the boats and I had to go. This photo is from about 5 minutes before. The gondolas were basically in this position while he was working. He tapped? touched? the top connection fairly quickly and then went to the next gondola.
View attachment 443266

I think he was tapping it with some pixie dust. Did he repeat the same phrase each time? :P

I'll be walking thru the international gateway about 11:30. If the skyliner is open I'll log into the boards and post. If it's not open, I'm heading straight to the food and wine booths. :banana:
We walked past the IG about an hour ago (after spending 3 hours enjoying Voices of Liberty and several meal portions and libations in between performances).

The Skyliner is not working currently, but has been running without passengers over the past few days.

The Food and Wine booths are fully operational however! :drinking1👍:drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter