Galaxygrogu

Earning My Ears
Costs are going to go up, especially after a pandemic that cost everyone from all businesses their bottom line. Most of the threads that I’ve seen about price increases are emotional, and not rational. The simple fact is we have overcrowded this planet and our cities, and everyone thinks they are entitled to everything. More and more people want to come to Disney, and there’s a finite amount of space for them.

I think that people have just gotten more sensitive about "keeping up with the Joneses" or not being able to "keep up" in the last few years. Disney doesn’t know what’s actually cash, and which is just credit card debt. It’s only a $200 deposit to book your Disney World vacation. I'm pretty sure that the majority of visitors aren't scraping funds together, but are just willing to go into more debt. The quality of clientele decreases, and the quantity is increasing. That is not Disney's fault. That’s why they raise prices. There are those take the YOLO attitude and will incur debt in order to do it. As a result, I think the parks became so overcrowded and started to lose that special magical Disney World feeling. Guests do not enjoy scheduling every minuscule detail, feeling squeezed in like sardines(odor definitely part of the ambience), and being herded like cattle.

The reality is that Disney has spent a lot over the years to build new parks, new rides, new places to stay and eat. They’re run by a multi-billion dollar company, not a mom-and-pop run amusement park.Walt Disney World thrives because it has become a fly-to vacation destination just as much as Hawaii or Paris. Disneyland is still locally driven and enjoys the ability to charge vacation destination-like prices like WDW’s because of immense Southern Californian wealth.

Last edited:
Costs are going to go up, especially after a pandemic that cost everyone from all businesses their bottom line. Most of the threads that I’ve seen about price increases are emotional, and not rational. The simple fact is we have overcrowded this planet and our cities, and everyone thinks they are entitled to everything. More and more people want to come to Disney, and there’s a finite amount of space for them. I think that people have just gotten more sensitive about "keeping up with the Joneses" or not being able to "keep up" in the last few years. Disney doesn’t know what’s actually cash, and which is just credit card debt. It’s only a $200 deposit to book your Disney World vacation. I'm pretty sure that the majority of visitors aren't scraping funds together, but are just willing to go into more debt. The quality of clientele decreases, and the quantity is increasing. That is not Disney's fault. That’s why they raise prices. There are those take the YOLO attitude and will incur debt in order to do it. I think the parks became so overcrowded and started to lose that special magical Disney World feeling. If you can’t or aren't willing to pay it, then that should be enough of a decision making point to go elsewhere. We do not enjoy scheduling every minuscule detail, feeling squeezed in like sardines(odor definitely part of the ambience), and being herded like cattle. It's a company, not an essential element of life! If anyone can find a way to make everybody happy 100% of the time, let me know, will you? No matter how nice and polite you are trying to be, there is someone that thinks YOU are being the *****. I think this is one thing every business in the tourism, entertainment or hospitality sector is going to have to come to terms with.It is far more reasonable to believe that higher costs associated with lower capacity can create an optimal balance without degrading the guest experience. Don’t believe me? Let’s ask the people who got Annual Passes advertised with no black out dates who CURRENTLY can’t get reservations. Those passes cost them ($$$$), versus the day ticket that’s still priced under $200 each. There’s nothing spontaneous if ticket prices won’t be raised and Disney no longer requires park reservations. The annual passholders are loyal customers of Disney, versus the guests who complain that the current day tickets are “too expensive” and probably won’t be spending as much money on food and merch etc. An example is the 7+ hour line at Epcot when the Figment Popcorn Bucket was released. I always tell people that there is a fine line between misery and fun at WDW. Guests seemed ruder to me? People are more on-edge I guess. From people blocking paths and getting upset with you for being upset, to line jumpers, to people treating CM’s like garbage. If you're tired of longer lines and crowed transportation then you should welcome higher prices. I’m fine with the prices increasing if I know I’m going to get my money’s worth. When you factor in having to make reservations for everything, endless planning, and then endless waiting in ridiculously long lines for everything, its stressful.
Welcome to the disboards. That's a lot to unpack for a first post. Paragraphs would help.

Well this will be a popular take…

Seriously though I see what you’re saying. But…

With inflation comes opportunity cost decisions. As people use up their remaining Covid money and the cost of basic necessities rises, less will be able to afford Disney. Disney doesn’t have to raise costs more to reduce demand if everything else costs way more.

Also don’t forget that Disney has for decades raised costs WAY beyond the inflation rates at the time. Now inflation is just playing catch-up.

Right? Less people for your own visit!
You're assuming everyone is dissatisfied as you. Meanwhile this crowd is most likely the same people who berate CMs and complain to managers about stuff the rest of us just take in stride because we know the world doesn't revolve around us. If every single family in the world could afford to go to Disney, it would be an absolutely miserable experience.

You're assuming everyone is dissatisfied as you. Meanwhile this crowd is most likely the same people who berate CMs and complain to managers about stuff the rest of us just take in stride because we know the world doesn't revolve around us. If every single family in the world could afford to go to Disney, it would be an absolutely miserable experience.
Did I say anything about being dissatisfied?

And I’ve got news. Not every person who can afford it goes now.

You’re assuming everyone thinks like you and values the same things you do.

It seems to me that Disney has always been a bit more expensive than the alternatives. People go to Disney because they perceive it to be a good value for the price.

It seems to me that Disney has always been a bit more expensive than the alternatives. People go to Disney because they perceive it to be a good value for the price.
Disney has never been a good value…..ever! What Disney world is other than the Disney brand is a completely unique experience.

It annoys me that people always assume that because your booking a DisneyWorld vacation your automatically charging it and puts you in debt.

Well bless your heart you poor thing, you had to take your vacation with the riff-raff and not the elites of society. Very sorry your Annual Pass didn't protect you from all of those common people. :rolleyes:

Sadly, I am sure you are a regular here and decided to just create a throw away name rather than stand behind your thoughts and opinion. Could have been an interesting discussion, but not when you won't stand for your own beliefs.

I hope you feel better after posting your rant at least.

I heartily agree with this sentiment, as unpopular as it may be. Disney wants more revenue per guest. Raise prices = less crowded parks and likely higher revenue per guest. Disney has never been a budget destination. There's a reason why Deluxe resorts outnumber all other categories by a significant margin. In fact, it was the fall fair/carnival type of parks that Walt was trying to get away from. Genie+ is a good case in point. This should have been a premium pay offering from the get go (similar to how Universal does it). Instead, they made it a budget offering that almost anyone can afford, which has led to the problems they're now trying to address. Yes, all of this is unpopular, but Disney is a premium experience and premium experiences are not budget.

Disney makes money. Lots of money. From my understanding, profits are through the roof. I have no issues with park reservations. I just wish that the number of people allowed in was lower so that on any particular day the crowds never go beyond "moderate levels". Disney would still make money and guests would have a better experience. Happy guests are more willing to spend even more money on merch and overpriced restaurants and extras.

I think some priority should be given to aph and locals (no idea how or if that would work). That would mean those travelling from afar for a once a year or less trip would need to plan well in advance. Does that destroy the magic, spontaneity? Perhaps. But I'd happily forgo sponteneity and plan 2 years in advance for moderate crowds at Chritmas.

Is any of this feasible? Dunno...and I'm glad it's not my job to figure it all out.

There's a reason why Deluxe resorts outnumber all other categories by a significant margin.
While there may be more deluxe resorts than values or moderates, the number of deluxe rooms ( ~4800) is much lower than the number of moderate rooms (~7000) or value rooms (>10,000).

While there may be more deluxe resorts than values or moderates, the number of deluxe rooms ( ~4800) is much lower than the number of moderate rooms (~7000) or value rooms (>10,000).
You did not include Deluxe Villas in that count. Total Deluxe is ~10,000.

Further to my post above...I find the OP's opinions on "quality" guests distasteful. I wish everyone could afford to go to WDW. I wish WDW had the capacity to accommodate everyone who has ever dreamed of going. Neither of these are reality or ever will be. However, it's no one's business why people are going to WDW or how they are paying for it. While people who have shelled out the cash for annual passes should be given some priority re reservations to make those passes make sense financially, they are not entitled to more consideration or special treatment than those who live further afield and can only go once a year or once a decade. For those, annual passes make no sense but why should they be dismissed as a lower "quality" guest? That is just, pardon my language, ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter