Disney running out of ideas

I don't think that's fair to Disney. The thing is that the economics of making movies is different these days and sequels mean big bucks. But look, they did Coco last year antd it was fantastic. Still, the sequels come in waves, and that's okay too.

I look at it as the market is changing. People "demand" different forms of being entertained these days. As mentioned, Coco was a phenomenal movie. Only two issues: marketing and reception. Marketing, because Disney didn't do much to promote it like they should have. Reception, because people just seemed kind of put off by it. The former affects the latter greatly. I've talked to many who had barely heard of the movie, let alone remembered the movie.

Now, Disney seems to be milking the money cow on live-action versions of their animated movies. I read earlier today of a live-action Lilo & Stitch. My reaction: "Runthatbymeagain???"

I look at it as the market is changing. People "demand" different forms of being entertained these days. As mentioned, Coco was a phenomenal movie. Only two issues: marketing and reception. Marketing, because Disney didn't do much to promote it like they should have. Reception, because people just seemed kind of put off by it. The former affects the latter greatly. I've talked to many who had barely heard of the movie, let alone remembered the movie.

Now, Disney seems to be milking the money cow on live-action versions of their animated movies. I read earlier today of a live-action Lilo & Stitch. My reaction: "Runthatbymeagain???"

I'm not really sure that your take on Coco's reception is on the mark. It made $800M worldwide, which is huge for an animated movie (and about the same as Inside-Out, another big hit). The characters seem very popular too. The cheers when the Coco section began during Together Forever at Disneyland is a good example. Other than that, I agree with you about the changes in the audience. It's not that Disney is "out of ideas" but more what Audiences are receptive too at this moment. They are only playing to that.

I'm not really sure that your take on Coco's reception is on the mark. It made $800M worldwide, which is huge for an animated movie (and about the same as Inside-Out, another big hit). The characters seem very popular too. The cheers when the Coco section began during Together Forever at Disneyland is a good example. Other than that, I agree with you about the changes in the audience. It's not that Disney is "out of ideas" but more what Audiences are receptive too at this moment. They are only playing to that.

And Disney could have made a cool Billion if it was more received in the US. In box office numbers, "worldwide" numbers may seem impressive, but box office numbers are usually predicated on the amount it makes in the US. Especially when you see it only made ~$210M total, and about $22M opening weekend domestically, it winds up not being half as impressive. Incredibles 2 made much more just in its opening weekend alone...and that is domestically. Not to mention the advertising and hype for it I saw for it everywhere.

I feel the only main reason Coco had the "success" it did was word-of-mouth. Because it's an amazing movie, and one I have seen thrice. I don't even watch movies that often.

I very much agree. Live action remake here, another sequel there. Disney is in a weak period creatively. I suspect history will recognize it as so and this era will eventually receive a negative-sounding label by critics and fans alike.

There is so much more material out there too, like folk and fairy tales Disney hasn't even touched. I'd rather see something new and original instead of sequels and rehashes of what has already been done.

Disney needs to go back to Walt's playbook and develop a program for all outlets (ABC, Disney Channel, and Freeform) to promote what is in the parks around the world and as a testing ground for new animation/stories. They could start by bringing out some of the Walt era program and mix it with new ideas like the short subjects. If the response is good to the short then expand into a feature length movie. For instance they could do a mix of the Original Mickey Mouse Club, the 80's version (young Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilar), and the current version. There was a bonus on DVD that has Classic Black/White Mickey on screen that comes into the world of color. You get the idea. Use the old to hook the boomers and the new to connect to the millenials. The last good short animation I recall was Prep and Landing. I could see this as a holiday overlay for Summer/Winter Mini Golf at Disney World. They could expand P&L to show what adventures (i.e. the training academy) in the lives of citizens of the North Pole the other 364 days of the year.

I don't buy this argument at all. And here's why.

When one of the Disney studios (Disney Animation, LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar) does something new, it doesn't do all that well or as well as everyone wants it to do. Think: The Good Dinosaur, Solo, Rogue One, Wrinkle in Time. Some of those had quality issues, for sure, but those are considered "bombs." The prior conversation about Coco is also an example of this. It was a hit, but not what it could/should have been. The Last Jedi is a prime example...it gave the SW universe something new and different, and a great many people rebelled against it.

But when they go back to the well and continue a franchise or remake something, those movies hit a cool billion dollars. Think: almost anything Marvel does turns out to make a lot of money (even the horrendous Thor 2). So what do you do? Keep pumping money into things that have a 50/50 chance of working or making things that are almost guaranteed to succeed?

With their release schedule, they have a nice mix of new things and continuations of franchises and established IP. Black Panther and Infinity War and Wreck It Ralph 2 this year are how they're able to offset the losses of Wrinkle in Time, Nutcracker and Solo. It's called diversification.

And, in all reality, a great many of the classic Disney movies weren't original anyway. So you could say Disney has had no new ideas going all the way back to Snow White.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts