Disney Revival April 2021 Exercise Thread

47 minutes yesterday - a long walk and some body weight exercises. It's wonderful to see our forum back! Gonna have to check my workout logs and make sure all my minutes are accounted for.

Oh and the answer is Splash Mountain! I'm excited to see the make over - the ride has always been important to our family it'll be great to breathe new life into it.

87/500

Congratulations to swissfamilyrobinson, Raya, and PollyannaMom for turning Baymax Blue, and to Twilight Sparkle for jumping straight to Olaf Orange! And the TEAM is Baymax Blue as well!
party:

The Princess and the Frog features music written by Randy Newman. Notably, Newman grew up in New Orleans and composes jazz, which suited the storyline. The soundtrack is a mixture of a mixture of jazz, zydeco, blues, and gospel. But the end-title song, "Never Knew I Needed," was written and performed by R&B singer-songwriter Ne-Yo.

Here's Ne-Yo:

Congratulations to me for turning Olaf Orange!

After The Princess and the Frog came Tangled (2010), Disney's 50th animated feature. Tangled was one of the films which saw a name change to try to appeal to a broader audience. Originally, it was called Rapunzel Unbraided, and then just Rapunzel, before being changed to Tangled. Perhaps the tactic worked: Tangled earned $592 million in worldwide revenue, compared to $269 million for The Princess and the Frog.

This month's Green is named after the villain of Tangled, Mother Gothel.

Glen Keane was an Executive Producer and a Supervising Animator for Tangled. Glen is the son of Family Circus creator Bil Keane (and reportedly the model for Billy in Family Circus). When seeking inspiration for Rapunzel, Glen followed family tradition by looking close to home--he said that the artistic Rapunzel painting her tower was living his artistic daughter Claire's childhood dreams of painting her room.

In the movie, Rapunzel and Flynn visit a pub called the Snuggly Duckling. In what Disney park can you find a real-life version of this pub?

In Shanghai Disneyland's Fantasyland, there is a theme restaurant called Tangled Tree Tavern, which is inspired by the Snuggly Duckling.

215 minutes since last check in - horses, walking, lazy girl workout (lies, lies, lies - couch is not possible, at least for me - had to use the floor; also, not as lazy as I expected)

855/2500

I love Tangled. DD and I have been rewatching everything Tangled related on Disney + lately. Love the anecdote relating to the tower murals.

I have always wished WDW would add the Snuggly Duckling with performers singing and dancing while you dine.

Congratulations to Raya, PollyannaMom, and the TEAM for turning Olaf Orange!

Tangled was quite a feat of technology. Although its look was modeled on the Rococo paintings of French artist Jean-Honore Fragonard, famous for "The Swing," it was highly technical. It was made using 3D CGI, but in a way that extended the traditional 2D Disney aesthetic. Technological advances made it easier to blend the two styles. And getting the film the way the directors wanted it required the Studios to create new tools.

Kelly Ward was finishing her doctorate in computer sciences when she heard that Disney was making an animated feature about Rapunzel. What better opportunity for someone whose speciality was animating hair?? Even so, it still took years to create programs to make the hair move the way the crew wanted.

Here's an interview with Ward, talking about the challenges of her task.

For the next Revival Era feature, Winnie the Pooh (2011), the Studios returned to traditional animation. This, however, is Disney's last traditionally animated film to date. Piglet from Winnie the Pooh is this month's Pink character!

The film drew inspiration from three A.A. Milne stories. Although critics reviewed it positively, it had the misfortune to open the same weekend as the last Harry Potter film and grossed only $50.1 million worldwide.

After searching for the right songwriters, the directors chose Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez. According to Wikipedia, the first song the Lopezes wrote was "Everything is Honey," which involves Pooh having a wild hallucination in a hunger for honey, and their "inspiration for writing their successful demo was their desperate lack of sleep at the time because of the restlessness of their then-newborn younger daughter, Annie." Disney executives were so impressed with the Lopezes that they did not have to audition for their next Disney project: Frozen.

What famed English comedic actor narrated Winnie the Pooh?

John Cleese

Hi! I'm back. Sorry I've been MIA so far this month. March ended and April began with a nice visit from my family, so that kept me away from the boards. The first week or so of April was really challenging for me personally for a lot of reasons. Then yesterday we got news that my husband's grandmother had passed away from COVID (she was 94). And this morning I woke up to find that my facebook account had been hacked and all of my recovery methods were changed. So that's great. LOL. So I've spent the morning changing all my account passwords and making sure that I have unlinked all the accounts that I had connected to my facebook. But it doesn't look like I'll be getting facebook access back any time soon.

I haven't been moving much so far this month. Mostly been wallowing in bed. But I have a few minutes to report. 160 minutes so far. I'll set my goal to still challenge myself, but to be realistic since I'm off to such a slow start. I'll go for 650.

160/650

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter