Disney paint back... now at Walmart instead of Home Depot

Home Depot said their computer has the formulas stored for all brands of paint, by brand and color name. You don't have to walk into Walmart to get Disney colors.

Some posters are mistaken. Home Depot doesn't own Behrs. This is the rumor board. Facts and accuracy don't seem to be important.

Consumers has been around since 1936. They are independent, pay for the products they test and accept no advertising. They haven't been sued very often. AFAIK they've never lost a suit and the few they settled settled without CU paying any damages.

I generally avoid products which get low ratings and purchase items which get high ratings. I'll adjust my decision making if I don't agree with the criteria CU is using.

I put zero credibility in "reviews" posted on internet sites, including posts in this forum and "reviews" posted on websites. Maybe if Amazon has thousands of reviews posted I'll give it some credibility.

Paint--I have no idea if the person applied the paint as per the directions. One coat paints require brushes and rollers designed for one coat applications. It puts a much heavier coat of paint then what we would typically apply. I doubt they painted half the wall with Ben Moore and half with Behr.

One pro painter gave me a good explanation. Ben Moores is always a good paint and gives consistent results. Other brands of paints may be good one year and not as good after a formula change. Paints geared to the homeowner promote one coat coverage. Any painter I've ever hired puts down 2 coats of paint and sometimes a primer first.

Home Depot said their computer has the formulas stored for all brands of paint, by brand and color name. You don't have to walk into Walmart to get Disney colors.

Some posters are mistaken. Home Depot doesn't own Behrs. This is the rumor board. Facts and accuracy don't seem to be important.

Consumers has been around since 1936. They are independent, pay for the products they test and accept no advertising. They haven't been sued very often. AFAIK they've never lost a suit and the few they settled settled without CU paying any damages.

I generally avoid products which get low ratings and purchase items which get high ratings. I'll adjust my decision making if I don't agree with the criteria CU is using.

I put zero credibility in "reviews" posted on internet sites, including posts in this forum and "reviews" posted on websites. Maybe if Amazon has thousands of reviews posted I'll give it some credibility.

Paint--I have no idea if the person applied the paint as per the directions. One coat paints require brushes and rollers designed for one coat applications. It puts a much heavier coat of paint then what we would typically apply. I doubt they painted half the wall with Ben Moore and half with Behr.

One pro painter gave me a good explanation. Ben Moores is always a good paint and gives consistent results. Other brands of paints may be good one year and not as good after a formula change. Paints geared to the homeowner promote one coat coverage. Any painter I've ever hired puts down 2 coats of paint and sometimes a primer first.

1. Correct you can get Disney colors at HD.

2. Incorrect, Home depot owns Behr. In fact the only thing left of the original company is the Behr name in HD stores.

3. CU has over he last few years has indeed gone down hill, with more and more people and watch groups questioning there independent reviews. In the early year they were indeed rarely sued. but more recent years show more suits. A company when the settle (almost always for money) a suit do so to only keep thing quiet/ sweep under the rug.

4. Agreed

5. Your choice, with many rating groups today I question the reviews. When so many people complaint about the paint (in this case), I put heavy weight on their comments and results.

6. Agreed. If you are going to try and cover in 1 coat, you need to have the right tools. However since HD sells paint to homeowners/ people with limited painting experience, the product should be able to do as advertised fairly easily.

6. Agreed. This just demonstrates how you need a high quality paint like Moore, which I use on my home and other painting projects and the inconsistent results of a poor quality paint like present day Behr.

AKK

2. Incorrect, Home depot owns Behr. In fact the only thing left of the original company is the Behr name in HD stores.

I'm going to respectfully request you stop "correcting" the information I post. Behrs paint is sold by Home Depot. I'm not 100% sure, it might even be sold exclusively at Home Depot but Behrs isn't owned by Home Depot. Behr is owned by Maco, Inc.
http://masco.com/

I'll occasionally make a mistake. Posting a link in those few cases would be much appreciated. Claiming I posted incorrect information, particularly when not true, is a personal attack.

Over the last few years paint mfg have reformulated their paints to reduce VOC emissions in order comply with CA regulations. Most paint companies have a nationwide product. Older reviews on products aren't relevant to paints currently being sold.

Ben Moore makes a decent paint. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

My opinion. The "self priming" claim made by Behr's is somewhat of a reach. A good job, many circumstances, will still require a primer.

My opinion. A paint store, Ben Moore or other, is likely to suggest 2 coats and maybe even a primer if the color selected and the item being painted warrants it. At least some salesmen at places like HD and Lowes might routinely say something like no problem. One coat of paint is all you need.

I'm going to respectfully request you stop "correcting" the information I post. Behrs paint is sold by Home Depot. I'm not 100% sure, it might even be sold exclusively at Home Depot but Behrs isn't owned by Home Depot. Behr is owned by Maco, Inc.
http://masco.com/

I have to admit seems it is owned by Masco......my error on this. Behr was brought 1st by HD years ago, it must have been sold, my error. BTY HD is the sole outlet for Behr paint.

I'll occasionally make a mistake. Posting a link in those few cases would be much appreciated. Claiming I posted incorrect information, particularly when not true, is a personal attack.

I was posting what I remembered as correct........not a attack by any means, just posting what I believed to be correct information.

Over the last few years paint mfg have reformulated their paints to reduce VOC emissions in order comply with CA regulations. Most paint companies have a nationwide product. Older reviews on products aren't relevant to paints currently being sold.

Agreed old reviews would not be relevant, my posted reviews were 2012.

Ben Moore makes a decent paint. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

My opinion. The "self priming" claim made by Behr's is somewhat of a reach. A good job, many circumstances, will still require a primer.

My opinion. A paint store, Ben Moore or other, is likely to suggest 2 coats and maybe even a primer if the color selected and the item being painted warrants it. At least some salesmen at places like HD and Lowes might routinely say something like no problem. One coat of paint is all you need.

With reference to your above listed opinions, this all still boils down to if Behr says 1 coat, then it should be able to cover in 1 coat most of the time, thus clearly demonstrating is a poor quality paint.

The formula changes are made by all companies, the first efforts to reduce VOC emissions started in the early 1970's. Since so many good quality paints have managed to keep their quality and still reduce VOC, the only reason I can see is that Behr is making a cheaper paint to make VOCs

So with the exception of the ownership, which I appear to be in error over , My statements all stand correct.

Actually seems, based on your recent comments, we are agreeing now, the 1 coat claim by HD is not supported and Behr is not a good quality paint

AKK

Actually seems, based on your recent comments, we are agreeing now, the 1 coat claim by HD is not supported and Behr is not a good quality paint

AKK

That's not an accurate summary of my posts or opinion.

No paint offers one coat coverage under all circumstances, even Ben Moore.

Behr paint is better then most paints in one coat coverage results. One coat coverage on bare wood or new sheetrock? Not realistic.

edited to add:

Some people might be interested in knowing if the paint computers in other stores, including Ben Moore, can match other paint companies colors by name. I don't know if any of the PP work in a paint store or have reason to go into a paint store. That information might be useful.

Use whatever paint you want. Telling people the paint rated near, at ?, the top by Consumers is garbage. Sorry but I don't value such opinions.

That's not an accurate summary of my posts or opinion.

No paint offers one coat coverage under all circumstances, even Ben Moore.

Behr paint is better then most paints in one coat coverage results. One coat coverage on bare wood or new sheetrock? Not realistic.

edited to add:

Some people might be interested in knowing if the paint computers in other stores, including Ben Moore, can match other paint companies colors by name. I don't know if any of the PP work in a paint store or have reason to go into a paint store. That information might be useful.

Well this is what you said:

At least some salesmen at places like HD and Lowes might routinely say something like no problem. One coat of paint is all you need.
Use whatever paint you want.

However its not that important.

You are entitled to your opinion and I have already offered my reasons and supporting details as to why I don't like Behr. Not just the reviews but from my own use of their products. Poor cover and wearability are my 2 main complaint.

To add, for other folks, if you have a good sample of the paint, like a chip or a small wall sample, the computers can match the color name unknown and even correct for fading.

If your looking for good oil base and your state now has banded oil, go on line and nose around, you will be amazed at what you can still get. I even found 2 gallons of good old creosote that way.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter