Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Re Tron and Pooh-sized riders: DH and I agreed this past week that the restraints on FoP have been loosened up a bit to allow more people to ride. He's gained a fair amount of weight since we first rode in 2017, and he fit last week without any problem, whereas in the past the CM has had to push extra hard on the back restraint to get it to click in the required position. So maybe Disney will be able to adjust the fit on Tron based on experience gained through CM and other previews.
They have definitely loosened the back restraint on FOP. The first trip that we rode, I could barely breathe. I had visible red marks for a day or two on my abdomen in the rib area from the front of the bike. I am not a big person at all, but the restraints were very strong if you didn't push back on them. I don't know about the leg restraints though, because I little calves and never had an issue there. Tron has back and leg restraints, so it could be either one of these that is causing an issue, depending upon the person.

EDIT: I don't know if this was to allow people to ride. I don't know anyone who had issues with the back restraint, ie not fitting; it's always been the leg restraint for people I know.

I doubt that will happen. The restraints are set by the manufacturer who is Vekoma. Most times the cars are set the way they are for safety reasons. Your best bet would be for them to add regular cars on every train.
Well, we can hope they make some kind of adjustment, whether with restraints or by replacing cycles with regular cars. I remember the issues with FoP during previews and afterwards, and I remember feeling far more squished in back then than I do now.
Outside of Disney, guests not fitting on rides is common on a lot of coasters.
Yes, we know that well - one reason we don't visit Universal very often!

How much smaller is the Tron seats compared to FOP? Or are they about the same?
A pretty decent amount if I recall correctly. Tron was designed for Shanghai, where local populations tend to be both shorter and thinner, so it was never much of an issue there. That's why I thought they would really look into changing things here a little, but...

It blows my mind that nobody at any point during the MK Tron development said "You know, our guests and Shanghai's guests aren't going to be the same size."

I don't think they can adjust the Tron restraints. The FoP seats don't leave the ground and if you fall off you won't go far. The Tron cars go sideways at points in the ride, if someone isn't properly restrained, they're going to fall right off and be seriously injured or killed.

It blows my mind that nobody at any point during the MK Tron development said "You know, our guests and Shanghai's guests aren't going to be the same size."

I don't think they can adjust the Tron restraints. The FoP seats don't leave the ground and if you fall off you won't go far. The Tron cars go sideways at points in the ride, if someone isn't properly restrained, they're going to fall right off and be seriously injured or killed.
It's not that simple to change a coaster train to fit guests easier. It's also not up to Disney. It's up to the coaster manufacturer Vekoma. It's a safety issue why the coaster is the way it is.

Disappointed about the limitations on Tron as it sounds like it will significantly increase the wait time for the last car.

I was excited about the last car as it would have made Tron accessible to my brother who has a disability.

It’s disappointing that we’d have to wait considerably longer for him to have an accessible ride only because they didn’t design the restraints for the rest of the cars to accommodate guests of size.

I guess I need to go back a few pages to re-read the original source material, but just widespread a problem is this seat size issue? Any chance this is an overreaction that can be chalked up to some of the click-baity blogs out there?

I guess I need to go back a few pages to re-read the original source material, but just widespread a problem is this seat size issue? Any chance this is an overreaction that can be chalked up to some of the click-baity blogs out there?
It's a cast member who posted about the seat size issues. Right only CMs are getting rides. I don't think it's an over reaction at all.

Do we know for sure that they didn't think about this? Has it been reported that the seat size is exactly the same as Shanghai?
Any chance this is an overreaction that can be chalked up to some of the click-baity blogs out there?
I'd say yes, it is a chance this is an overreaction. I have no doubt that some folks are too big to ride. But I also think this will be a small percentage. Similar to FoP when that was new.

Do we know for sure that they didn't think about this? Has it been reported that the seat size is exactly the same as Shanghai?

I'd say yes, it is a chance this is an overreaction. I have no doubt that some folks are too big to ride. But I also think this will be a small percentage. Similar to FoP when that was new.
As far as I know the only change is the addition of the normal seats in the last row.

I think it will be a larger percentage then many think.

This was a post from a CM during the preview.

1675546109697.png

The FoP seats don't leave the ground and if you fall off you won't go far.
If you manage to fall forward out of the ride room it's quite a drop. I have to imagine that's really what they are concerned about.

Not sure how you would manage to do that but that would be the dangerous part, I would think.

There have been posts as well of larger sized individuals fitting on the standard vehicle in Shanghai. Some of them a larger size than the size listed by one of the CMs in the tweet.

The extensive waits tied to the accessible car can also be tied to CMs being in training on the attraction and figuring the load/unload out.

The individual that posted the tweet is also of a larger size and is supposedly going on it in the coming weeks so we’ll see what they report eventually.

It’s a concern about the ride but maybe let’s wait and see once a larger portion of guests are getting on it.

I was going to say something similar about FoP. I remember everyone freaking out when that came out, and now I never really hear about it. I understand everyone wanting to ride Tron, but safety is definitely first and foremost. The logistics of having varying sized bikes and then properly loading people by size just sounds risky & time consuming.

Unfortunately, not everyone will be able to ride every ride, whether it’s for health reasons or body type. I get nauseas when I ride Space Mountain and almost always get a migraine. Yet, I’m okay on all other Disney coasters.

And I found Velocicoaster very comfortable, whereas my tall husband said it really hurt his neck based on where his head hit in the seat. Then we road Hulk and he said he was fine and found that ride super comfortable. Meanwhile I was in tears because it hurt my neck & back so badly, where my head was meant there was no support behind my neck.

Anyway, it does stink when you can’t go on a ride you really want to go on. And maybe I won’t be able to ride Tron or my husband won’t. But I understand that the ride vehicles need to be a snug fit to be safe.

But yeah, I can’t imagine waiting 4 years to go on this ride only to find out you can’t. 😫

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter