• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic Renovations

I just got off the Magic a week ago and was able to speak to several crew about her drydock. She will drydock in Fincantieri and will undergo extensive refurb to include all rooms being redone, the crew area is getting a new look to include some features from the Dream/Fantasy. Topsiders and Parrot Cay are going to be refurbed. Animators is also expected to be upgraded to match the Dream/Fantasy. All new carpeting throughout the ship too. I asked if the horn will be upgraded but never did get an answer. Nobody said anything about stretching her but who knows. Also, next year the Wonder is scheduled for a long drydock to receive the same refurb and upgrades. Didn't hear where though.

omg! I'd like a little refurb but I sure hope they don't change it too much. We love the Magic and don't ever want it to be a mega ship like the Dream & Fantasy. :sick: I really hope they don't add waaaaay too many cabins like they did on the big ships too. Dream & Fantasy crowds would be much more managable & less annoying if they removed one deck of all cabins.

Now I want to sail on her one last time...

They will not be adding a new mid section to the Magic. If that was in the works, it would be all over the Maritime and ship biulding news. Not to mention they would have to be biulding the midsection now !

AKK

I just got off the Magic a week ago and was able to speak to several crew about her drydock. She will drydock in Fincantieri and will undergo extensive refurb to include all rooms being redone, the crew area is getting a new look to include some features from the Dream/Fantasy. Topsiders and Parrot Cay are going to be refurbed. Animators is also expected to be upgraded to match the Dream/Fantasy. All new carpeting throughout the ship too. I asked if the horn will be upgraded but never did get an answer. Nobody said anything about stretching her but who knows. Also, next year the Wonder is scheduled for a long drydock to receive the same refurb and upgrades. Didn't hear where though.

Does that mean the Wonder will be going to the Med in 2014?

Does that mean the Wonder will be going to the Med in 2014?

I would say most likely it will. I believe most of the extended drydocks for ships are done in Europe. I don't know that Freeport can handle extensive drydock work.

These pics were found online by Disney Cruise Blog... so... maybe these will be the designs...

Here are some of the potential renderings...

Cabanas (topsiders/beach blanket)

PucciniGroup_CruiseShipConfidential-500x375.jpg

Puccini_CABANA3_CRUISE-500x343.jpg

Puccini_CABANA1_CRUISE-500x343.jpg

Parrot Cay
Puccini_PARROT_CRUISE-500x375.jpg

The Spa

Puccini_SPA_CRUISE-500x281.jpg

I wonder when the Magic goes into dry dock if they will do an enclosed Outlook like the Wonder (I know now weight limits are the issue) and have the Magic go to Alaska while the Wonder is being refurbed. Might tie in with the recently sighted 9-night Alaska cruise listing (something special).

I wonder when the Magic goes into dry dock if they will do an enclosed Outlook like the Wonder (I know now weight limits are the issue) and have the Magic go to Alaska while the Wonder is being refurbed. Might tie in with the recently sighted 9-night Alaska cruise listing (something special).

OMG such a great idea! I think you're onto something here. We'll be on the Magic before the drydock. Sorta really bummed about that. But if the Magic gets an Outlook Cafe and it totally gets refurbed....we'd be so there for a 9-night Alaskan cruise.

rabidmarmot said:

This has been mentioned before. We shall certainly see soon.

Lets remember the Dream is due in 2014 for its 1st dry dock as well. Grant it, it will be the short 2-week dry dock, but a dry dock nonetheless.i don't think they'll send her to Europe. Probably Norfolk or Freeport or somewhere close. The 3 & 4 night cruises are the bread & butter if DCL, so she won't be out too long.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I can't imagine DCL intentionally planning any kind of dry dock, long or short, over summer months. This is their short window where they can charge triple the price of a Sept cruise and get away with it.

I would guess it's from Labor Day-ish to Christmas.

I guess I meant that the Wonder would do the Med during the summer and then go into dry dock.

Or in Caldiz, Spain like has been rumored? They'd just switch places for the year so the Wonder can go get prettied up.

OMG such a great idea! I think you're onto something here. We'll be on the Magic before the drydock. Sorta really bummed about that. But if the Magic gets an Outlook Cafe and it totally gets refurbed....we'd be so there for a 9-night Alaskan cruise.

Can i ask where you saw information about a 9 night Alaska cruise? Sounds interesting.
Thanks

Wow those pictures are gorgeous! I am kinda bummed that we'll be the last people on the ship before the reno...but like I said, it's just a reason to book another cruise afterwards. :)

Wow those pictures are gorgeous! I am kinda bummed that we'll be the last people on the ship before the reno...but like I said, it's just a reason to book another cruise afterwards. :)

:thumbsup2 ::yes::

I can't imagine us never wanting to sail on the Magic.

Here's to hoping rumors are just rumors, could not imagine losing the look of the original animators. Don't care for animators on the dream. A lot of people sail the Magic and Wonder because they prefer these ships over the Dream and Fantasy, why would they want to risk losing this large following ?

Here's to hoping rumors are just rumors, could not imagine losing the look of the original animators. Don't care for animators on the dream. A lot of people sail the Magic and Wonder because they prefer these ships over the Dream and Fantasy, why would they want to risk losing this large following ?

I seriously doubt that following is "large" enough to make a difference. If it was, DCL wouldn't change a thing. People like shiny new things. I think that DCL did such a good job on the Dream and Fantasy, that they made the Wonder and Magic look subpar.

I seriously doubt that following is "large" enough to make a difference. If it was, DCL wouldn't change a thing. People like shiny new things. I think that DCL did such a good job on the Dream and Fantasy, that they made the Wonder and Magic look subpar.

True. Just like one poster on the Dis once complained that the new decking material of the Magic isn't real teak wood anymore, an old time traditional wood often used in boat/ship building. I noticed it (my dad is a long time boaty) but it's not such a big deal that I would stop cruising the Magic over it but this guy was freaking out.

I do hope that they realize people appreciate the differences between the Magic class ships & the Dream class. It's not just about the size. I don't want them to make a mini version of the Dream but it doesn't need some updating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter