Disney Magic Renovations

Bonniec said:
Nope. And I REALLY want to know since I'll be on that cruise right after! I wish I knew when they'll make an announcement.

We were on the Magic last week and spoke to an officer about the dry dock. He said anything out there in terms of renovations is just strictly rumor at this point, that no changes had been approved yet. He knew that for sure because his officer position was such that he would be one of the officers traveling and staying with the ship during dry dock and the return home overseeing the changes.

cwdefouw said:
All recent rumours since August have been pointing toward Cadiz, Spain for the 6 week Dry Dock, with any final work being done while they are sailing back to Miami with no guests on board. They may still decide to embark guests for the Transatlantic sailing, but at this point, IMHO, I don't think that will happen.

The Magic will be empty when it sails back home to allow inside renovations to continue, per an officer on the Magic last week.

I just got off the Magic a week ago and was able to speak to several crew about her drydock. She will drydock in Fincantieri and will undergo extensive refurb to include all rooms being redone, the crew area is getting a new look to include some features from the Dream/Fantasy. Topsiders and Parrot Cay are going to be refurbed. Animators is also expected to be upgraded to match the Dream/Fantasy. All new carpeting throughout the ship too. I asked if the horn will be upgraded but never did get an answer. Nobody said anything about stretching her but who knows. Also, next year the Wonder is scheduled for a long drydock to receive the same refurb and upgrades. Didn't hear where though.

Someone recently asked DH about this - IF it were true, they wouldn't be able to stretch the Wonder to match the Magic because the Wonder wasn't built in two parts like the Magic was.

I don't have the maritime knowledge, but I'd hedge a bet the Magic will NOT get stretched!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Someone recently asked DH about this - IF it were true, they wouldn't be able to stretch the Wonder to match the Magic because the Wonder wasn't built in two parts like the Magic was.

I don't have the maritime knowledge, but I'd hedge a bet the Magic will NOT get stretched!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

They have stretched ships not built in two parts before. So that wouldn't be the reason not to stretch it. The cost is outrageous and would take years to recoup so not really a renovation most cruise lines even consider. But the really big reason not to do it is the new PC is not open yet. The Magic and Wonder are Panamax ships. If they were bigger in any way, they would lose the flexibility to reposition between East and West coast through the canal until the new one opens.

dry dock is due to start in Sept.

Any work they do is usually regular maintenance... and they DO keep the ship up!!! :thumbsup2

You'll see them paint and scrub, etc...

They even brought paint along and repainted the areas of the hull that were scratched when we went through the Panama Canal in '08...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter