Disney 'Magic Band' RFID bracelet revealed!!

I loved the idea. So much better than carrying around the KTTK card. As long as I can remove it to shower and to sleep I'm more than okay with this idea. :thumbsup2

Terrible idea. I don't want to walk around for week with a bracelet on.

And what happened to the "going green" initiative that eliminated the EMH wristband because they were adding to landfills. I'm no tree-hugger, but I'm saying a electronic, battery powered polyurethane wristband, worn by 10's of thousands of people everyday is a little more polluting then few paper strips.

Probably the same amount of plastic as a kttw card and no batteries . I will give people the not wanting to wear a bracelet.

I have mixed feelings about this new system. I'm sure it is going to provide some cutting-edge experiences in the parks, but what I'm really not looking forward to is....

Post-Disney-Trip wrist tan lines. :lmao:
(If Disney was thinking through this initiative, they'd have a Mickey head cut-out in the bands to give all guests a Mickey head shaped tan mark. How's that for a marketing idea?)

On a serious note, I can't wait to try it out to see just how Disney plans to use it around the parks and resorts.

Well, I'm happy to hear that they are using active (battery-powered) RFID tags. This kind of technology will make unauthorized skimming much, much more difficult compared to a system using only passive tags. They can use rolling codes or challenge-response authentication.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of using passive RFID tags as room keys. In my mind, it's like leaving every balcony door unlocked. Someone could've discretely skimmed tags from guests' pockets. (Based on my recent post on the DVC boards, most people either don't understand the technology, or simply accept the risk.) I like WDW's proposed active tag system a lot better.

Really, I'm okay with WDW tracking my every move, as long as their system is hacker-resistant. Active tags, with their relatively long reading distance, will allow WDW to do a lot of interesting things.

Well, I'm happy to hear that they are using active (battery-powered) RFID tags. This kind of technology will make unauthorized skimming much, much more difficult compared to a system using only passive tags. They can use rolling codes or challenge-response authentication.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of using passive RFID tags as room keys. In my mind, it's like leaving every balcony door unlocked. Someone could've discretely skimmed tags from guests' pockets. (Based on my recent post on the DVC boards, most people either don't understand the technology, or simply accept the risk.) I like WDW's proposed active tag system a lot better.

Really, I'm okay with WDW tracking my every move, as long as their system is hacker-resistant. Active tags, with their relatively long reading distance, will allow WDW to do a lot of interesting things.

Was it mentioned anywhere that they had batteries?

Doesn't matter if they are passive or active either way it has to send a signal that can be picked up and copied to another band. Unless you have to scan it and then type in a password it will be subject to hacking. Have we not learned anything from the RFID credit card skimmers??? I would be great for location awareness or anything that is inconsequential but when you attach it to an account (i.e. tickets, room entrance so on) it is not a secure technology.

Is there a date set for these are to begin? :confused3
Not just for testing.

Well they would have to convert all the turnstiles, FP machines, Photopass readers, cash registers and hotel door locks (did I miss any?). I think its going to take a bit of time.

It could be done in phases but then you would have to carry this and a KTTW card.

As for door locks I know they installed them at AoA because they were all new but I thought I had heard that they may have started at some other resorts. Also how many attractions have the new readers?

Doesn't matter if they are passive or active either way it has to send a signal that can be picked up and copied to another band. Unless you have to scan it and then type in a password it will be subject to hacking. Have we not learned anything from the RFID credit card skimmers??? I would be great for location awareness or anything that is inconsequential but when you attach it to an account (i.e. tickets, room entrance so on) it is not a secure technology.

Not an expert but its my understanding that adding battery means it can randomly scramble the codes sent like the fob for your car. and/or its has to respond properly to a random code sent from the reader.

One of these days I going to truly figure out public private key encryption. Where I think you somehow give the password out to everyone.

And what happened to the "going green" initiative that eliminated the EMH wristband because they were adding to landfills. I'm no tree-hugger, but I'm saying a electronic, battery powered polyurethane wristband, worn by 10's of thousands of people everyday is a little more polluting then few paper strips.

Those were exactly my first thoughts, too.

Not excited about the prospect ~ at all.

From the link in the OP

The radio of the device, Model MB-R1G1, is a wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4 GHz signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure. The PCB assembly is potted in plastic and completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane. The band has no on off switch and is powered with a non-replaceable coin cell. The PCB assembly also includes a passive UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio."

I think it's an all-around bad idea as well even though something clearly needs to be done to fix the existing system.

It's passive RFID, not active.

I hate wearing bracelets. I don't wear a watch or anything else around my wrist. Even long sleeves bug my wrists. I will probably leave this in my pocket (not that it will fit as well as the KTTW did).

I just hope they aren't like wrist bands at the local water parks that aren't removable without cutting them.

Well they would have to convert all the turnstiles, FP machines, Photopass readers, cash registers and hotel door locks (did I miss any?). I think its going to take a bit of time.

It could be done in phases but then you would have to carry this and a KTTW card.

As for door locks I know they installed them at AoA because they were all new but I thought I had heard that they may have started at some other resorts. Also how many attractions have the new readers?

I assumed this as well but haven't heard any other rumors yet. Can we assume that it is already installed in the new Fantasyland?

Just wondering if the is a timeline rumored yet???

I would think they'd have to be removable for showering and sleeping.

I'm wondering if servers in restaurants will have to carry scanners (ipads) for guests to charge meals and/or tips to the rooms? Another thought is that perhaps these will be color-coded for resorts to prevent pool hopping? Will they eventually be tied into the refillable mug stations (remember the RFID testing at AS Sports?)?

I wear bracelets all of the time and don't mind something on my wrist as long as it's loose-fitting and comfortable. I think it would be more convenient to scan your wrist for purchases, using a FP, using a room key, etc. that it is to dig out a card from a bag or pocket. I liked the RFID room cards at CSR last month. It was just a quick tap and we were in the room.

I think it should be a necklace, and if you try entering two different parks on the same day without a park hopper ticket it'll blow up your head a la Scanners.

Anybody else notice they are assembled in China? So much for made in the USA

It says "Designed in the USA".

RFID does not work by a battery. There is a capacitor inside that is charged when it come in close contact with a transmitter and then drains quickly. It is a passive technology.

----

I expect them to be removable. This would allow them to be put anywhere a KTTW card could and to not be worn when showering. It would be a plus to be able to wear then to swim and not have your card left with your stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!