Disney 'Magic Band' RFID bracelet revealed!!

The other day I went to Six Flags America in Maryland and had something similar to this for ride reservation times. You'd hold it up to a machine to choose a ride and time, and the machines were scattered throughout the park. They were tight enough to stay on easily, but made of a stretchy material so they could be removed.

I would object heavily to a non-removable bracelet, even if it was waterproof. I simply would not want to wear something like that nonstop for multiple days, and I can't imagine it being popular with children (or their parents).

I DO NOT like these on the wrists. For comfort, security, looks, ... I don't like them for the parties, I don't even like the ones for the beach club pools..

I hope they are something you can take on and off, so person can go for fast passes and such.

I like it! Great Wolf Lodge already do this and it makes it so convenient. Once you're checked in there, my wallet goes in the safe for the duration. The wristband gets me into my room, the waterpark and if linked toa credit card, all my onsite purchases. What Disney is doing looks exactly the same and I think it's about time.

It says "Designed in the USA".

RFID does not work by a battery. There is a capacitor inside that is charged when it come in close contact with a transmitter and then drains quickly. It is a passive technology.

----

I expect them to be removable. This would allow them to be put anywhere a KTTW card could and to not be worn when showering. It would be a plus to be able to wear then to swim and not have your card left with your stuff.

The bracelets will have a coin cell battery.

In addition to all the points made- I am not happy to see that it has names on it. I don't put names on my girls' hats or clothing I am not happy to have their name on a bracelet for anyone to see and read.
Why would this be a problem? Sorry but that is really just being ridiculous. I really doubt they would have names anyway, probably just a bar code.
But seriously most people out there are not bad and trying to steal your children, especially in Walt Disney world.

The bracelets will have a coin cell battery.

The "coin cell" is a capacitor that is part of the PCB and not a battery.

The car RFID transponders can have a battery so they can transmit for a much farther distance. No batter is need for what Disney will be using them for.

Why would this be a problem? Sorry but that is really just being ridiculous. I really doubt they would have names anyway, probably just a bar code.
But seriously most people out there are not bad and trying to steal your children, especially in Walt Disney world.

Since they are not transferable, there would need to be a way to tell them apart. We have our full names on the KTTW cards, we sign our KTTW cards to use them for chargin and on APs. This is different in that is it only your first name.

I know I go to WDW to steal children. Who would ever go for the rides. :rotfl:

As for door locks I know they installed them at AoA because they were all new but I thought I had heard that they may have started at some other resorts.

According to recent posts on the POFQ FAQ thread on the Resorts board, they are installing at POFQ now.

As far as the concerns over having names on the band - the photo at the link in the first post shows a first name, but considering the logical size of the band, I'd think you'd have to be right up close to it to read the name (not like having it stitched on your Mickey Ears).

As far as the concerns over having names on the band - the photo at the link in the first post shows a first name, but considering the logical size of the band, I'd think you'd have to be right up close to it to read the name (not like having it stitched on your Mickey Ears).

If the band was say 1/2" wide I would think the name would be about this big. (size will depend on your monitor size) but probably about 4 points.

Micheal

Also are we seeing the inside or the outside of the band?

The car RFID transponders can have a battery so they can transmit for a much farther distance. No batter is need for what Disney will be using them for.

Disney says it will be battery powered.

The bracelet, called "Magic Band' is battery powered, is designed to be disposable, and includes the now familiar NextGen Mickey logo and what appears to be the wearers name for easy ID in groups. The RFID bracelet will be the driving force behind much of Disney's NextGen initiative, which includes ticketless park entry, ticketless FASTPASS, attraction personalization, touch-to-pay purchasing and more.

I, too, am hoping it is removable. I do have a jade "perma-bangle" (bangle I don't take off), so the idea of always wearing something doesn't completely bother me. But something designed to be more temporary isn't always comfortable in the heat and such.

The picture in the link shows that at the very least a first name would be on the band. That said, I am not hugely concerned about that part because it is not as if it is all that noticeable while you are walking around.

In addition to all the points made- I am not happy to see that it has names on it. I don't put names on my girls' hats or clothing I am not happy to have their name on a bracelet for anyone to see and read.
I don't think they'll be able to see it -- I believe the photo shows the bottom (inside for Chartle) of the electronics part of the wristband...

They'll need a battery to light up the bracelet (if that's what it will do)...

Anybody else notice they are assembled in China? So much for made in the USA

This is exactly what I noticed which caused me concern!

Saw that. Good grief...we need made in America Mickey! Guess I'll have to keep the band in my pocket or elsewhere. I don't wear a watch or bracelets..can't stand anything on my wrists. :sad1:

That caught my eye as well.

And thats the way it will always be until this country decides to lower its business taxes which are currently one of the highest in the world.

WedgieSock said:
And thats the way it will always be until this country decides to lower its business taxes which are currently one of the highest in the world.

At least 1 other reason, but Thumbs-up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter