Disney is no longer an enjoyable experience

Jasen

Earning My Ears
Bob chapek is ruining the Disney parks. After looking into all the new b.s. to deal with and lack of ANY of the perks and benefits of staying at Disney resorts I've decided to boycott Disney, that includes canceling Disney+ and selling my shares in the company. We all need to send the message that these changes are unacceptable. Unfortunately bob and his band of thieves won't listen until they feel it in their wallet.

Got home last night from a 4 night recently planned trip, mainly to attend DVC Moonlight Magic at DHS and also to try out Guardians. Except for the hot, hot weather, had a good time. Enjoyed spending time with friends. Heading to Disneyland for parks and D23 in early September and then back to Florida end of November for both WDW and Universal. We make it work.

Last edited:
Very valid reasons to make that choice
Unfortunately, numbers who share your opinion are just too small to make a difference.
There are more in the parks now than there's been in ages.
Many are having as good a time as they've had.
I'll be honest, we just had a trip over July 4 that was one of our better trips in a long time. My first since the park reservations system began that I wasn't dreading. I'll never like the reservations but I have managed to make the rest work

I do wonder though, is Chapek really making all these decisions all by himself? Like no one else at all is involved?

It's unfortunate what Chapek has done to the parks. IMO most guests don't care about the outside stuff that goes on. They enjoy the parks for what they are. A lot of that goes back to the fact that the majority of Disney guests aren't ride people. Meaning they enjoy Disney rides but most don't visit other parks much.

We were at WDW for 4 nights in February, stayed at our favorite resort, POR. It may be our last trip if things don’t improve. They have taken so many things away, and I hate the reservation and park hopping now. Also really miss the old fast pass system. Oh, we would go if our daughter and family asked us to go again, just to enjoy spending time with them. But for now we are choosing other places to spend our vacation dollars.

I understand why the OP feels the way they do, and I agree with the action they are taking as a result of how they feel. Each person has to make that decision on their own, and I admire people who can put their money where their mouth is. I think there are probably quite a few repeat guests that feel the same, and may follow through with a similar plan. I just don’t think the outcome will be what the OP desires.

For every one of us that has visited multiple times, there are at least two or three people visiting for the first time. They don’t have anything to compare the current experience to, so for them, the magic is most definitely going to be there. Combine that with the repeat guests who can still find value and magic from the experience, and I don’t think the company will suffer all that much from a financial standpoint, and won’t be forced to make any changes that enhance the guest experience.

As someone who has spent the last 50 years visiting WDW, I am just happy that I have the memories of better days in the parks. So many people will never know just how great the Disney park experience could be. I still enjoy them, but it’s not the same. Unfortunately, as long as Chapek is making them money, the Disney board is happy to keep him right where he is.

I understand why the OP feels the way they do, and I agree with the action they are taking as a result of how they feel. Each person has to make that decision on their own, and I admire people who can put their money where their mouth is. I think there are probably quite a few repeat guests that feel the same, and may follow through with a similar plan. I just don’t think the outcome will be what the OP desires.

For every one of us that has visited multiple times, there are at least two or three people visiting for the first time. They don’t have anything to compare the current experience to, so for them, the magic is most definitely going to be there. Combine that with the repeat guests who can still find value and magic from the experience, and I don’t think the company will suffer all that much from a financial standpoint, and won’t be forced to make any changes that enhance the guest experience.

As someone who has spent the last 50 years visiting WDW, I am just happy that I have the memories of better days in the parks. So many people will never know just how great the Disney park experience could be. I still enjoy them, but it’s not the same. Unfortunately, as long as Chapek is making them money, the Disney board is happy to keep him right where he is.
The emphasis on the first time visitor can't be emphasized enough. WDW has so many of them they will likely never suffer if repeat visitors cut down by half or even a third. It will barely be a blip on their radar.

OP, we have done exactly what you have done. After going to WDW since l977, we have decided not to go back. We also cancelled D+, but we never watched it much anyway. No great loss.
If disney ever goes back to great customer service, great park experiences with no restrictions, upgrading all the dowgraded shows, and giving good ROI, then we would consider it.
However, we are not the demographic they want. Apparently our thousands spent each year was not enough. We were the ones that everyone went to for disney information. But now? They have lost us, even they don't care, and also lost our big family and friends. Maybe one day when they feel the effects of their loyal fans not returning, maybe they will change. But I'm not waiting on it. Only if they start to lose money will they make a few changes to lure guests back.

The emphasis on the first time visitor can't be emphasized enough.
Bingo. The first time visitors are the most profitable to them for a variety of reasons. They likely spend the most because they know the least about potential bargains and are the most likely to buy a lot of souvenirs and photos. They also spend more time in the parks, where spend is more likely, and less time relaxing in the resorts, demanding services. Most importantly, they have nothing to compare the Disney World of today to. They don't have our memories of complimentary late night Extra Magic Hours, complimentary FastPasses, complimentary MDE plus luggage service, longer resort pool hours, better cleanliness and customer service, etc., etc. So they're less demanding, more willing to shell out, and easier to deal with.

The Disney Wish cruise ship is totally geared towards new visitors. It's less customer-friendly than the other ships for a variety of reasons (fewer elevators, much less stateroom storage, no jogging track, etc.), but it has a lot of sparkly character stuff on offer to attract newbies. That's what Disney wants, not so much the old model of earning customer loyalty via excellent products and service.

I was just there in May and had a great time. I loved G+ and the convenience it provided. I was able to sleep in, schedule rides for later in the day, etc.

As per a point another PP made, do you really think Chapek is a one-man show that makes all of the decisions, alone? No input from any board members?

lack of ANY of the perks and benefits
What perks and benefits are you speaking of? I've actually seen a lot come back like entertainment, Moonlight Magic, some extended hours that so many on here said were gone for good. I get that the planning part is a pain in the #@# but am surprised at how quickly much of the stuff cut during Covid has come back.

Not sure what you expect selling your shares would accomplish, honestly.
It’s tough utilizing a timeshare without the ability to purchase an AP. An Eight day PH is almost as much as a DVC pass. Really not much incentive especially with the removal of many perks, addition of a la carte experiences and price increases. Add the current divisiveness…it’s not as attractive as it once was. There are too many negatives.

What a weird thing to complain about, that you don’t feel welcome at Disney World because of your “political diversity”.

Disney is making an effort to try to show it is welcoming and inclusive (though I know a lot of it is reading the room and seeing that they need to show it to survive). The people Disney is showing they support are still targets of discrimination and violence in many parts of our country.
I’ve never known Disney to be anything but inclusive. It’s not about Disney’s inclusivity as a private entity. I’m sorry you don’t get it.

I went to DLR with my family in June, expecting to be somewhat disappointed; but we all had a wonderful time. None of the changes had any adverse effect on our experience. The best part what being with the ones I love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter