Disney Hotel Prices are Out of Control!

Except it isn't just marketing. We are about to move five miles from Maingate but keeping our DVC membership... why the heck would anyone do that? Because there are benefits of being on-property that are worth the price. Not everyone will see that value, but it is still there and tens hundreds of thousands of other people do.

Staying at a Value or Moderate during Value season, sure, the "benefits" may be worth it. But what benefit is worth $800 a night to stay at the Grand Floridian?

Is it me or are the cost of Disney hotel rooms too high. I looked on the Disney website for a room next May and the the All Star Resorts started at $170/night. Compare that to fine hotels just outside WDW which were $60/night. Even when you factor in a rental car and parking you still save $70/night or about $500 in a week! We’ve always stayed on site but I’m nearing a breaking point.
We are also planning on going May 2020 and I looked at the values. For our dates none of the AS are available - huge cheerleading competition has all rooms at all 3 ASRs on hold/booked - Pop is $187 a night for a standard room. I know that there will be a discount - there always is for May - but who knows how much that will be, 10%? 15%?

So I looked at the Priceline Express Deals thread and saw ppl getting Swan & Dolphin for the price of a value or a moderate. For our dates the Dolphin standard room with fees/taxes included is $200 a night - much cheaper on other dates or if booking a month or so out. Have never stayed there so I do not know first hand about the amenities (although I have read the resort is great) but location cannot be beat. I am all about location, to me hotels are about a bed and a shower. The S&D has 2 parks within walking distance (or boat), that is worth the slightly higher price. Since there is no DME we will rent a car at MCO, stop at Publix to pick up some stuff, and return it at the Dolphin the same day.

Staying at a Value or Moderate during Value season, sure, the "benefits" may be worth it. But what benefit is worth $800 a night to stay at the Grand Floridian?
Service, service, service. and Location, location, location. The point is that the value is there and those saying nasty things about those who see the value sound envious rather than wise. Wise people who simply don't value the experience as much as those who do would say that rather than personally attack those who do.

Service, service, service. and Location, location, location. The point is that the value is there and those saying nasty things about those who see the value sound envious rather than wise. Wise people who simply don't value the experience as much as those who do would say that rather than personally attack those who do.
I personally could care less where you stay or how much you pay. We could stay at any of the resorts but for my family I don’t see sufficient value. Our last stay on-site was at GF and was okay but in our opinion really nothing special.

If I want to take the monorail at GF I navigate the maze outside then inside the hotel and then the line for the monorail. If at a Disney Springs hotel I order Uber then take the elevator to the lobby get in the Uber and drive to TTC. We prefer the Uber really.

Well to be completely honest I would be incredibly jealous if you and your family were staying in Cinderella’s bedroom in the castle. :)

Last edited:
I personally could care less where you stay or how much you pay.
Yes, just that. No one should care about how other people choose to value each experience for themselves.

Full Disclosure though, we are DVC members who bought in in the 1990s, so a studio room at the Grand Floridian for us would average the equivalent of $160 per night, including an inflation-adjusted amortized value of our original buy in. So we're not really paying $582 per night that others would pay. Still, it shouldn't matter. Even though we're not paying as much as they, it isn't my place to second-guess how others value each experience for themselves.

Yes, just that. No one should care about how other people choose to value each experience for themselves.

Full Disclosure though, we are DVC members who bought in in the 1990s, so a studio room at the Grand Floridian for us would average the equivalent of $160 per night, including an inflation-adjusted amortized value of our original buy in. So we're not really paying $582 per night that others would pay. Still, it shouldn't matter. Even though we're not paying as much as they, it isn't my place to second-guess how others value each experience for themselves.
It would be a good option for us that price. Congratulations on your foresight.

Not sure why you think I (or anyone) would care where you stay. I haven't seen anyone attacking you for anything. I'm paying Grand Floridian prices to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I see the value there, while others may not. For me, it's not about the value of the resorts. It's the value of the parks at WDW. That's what I no longer see. I still enjoy going there, but not enough that I need to be wrapped up in Disney 24/7. Especially when I can stay in an every bit as nice 2 bedroom villa right on property for 1/4 of the price.

We've stayed at the GF a few times. It's very nice, but not $800 nice. But that's just us. When we stayed there a few years ago, we paid under $500 both times. I just didn't see any difference in service from there to the Polynesian to the Wilderness Lodge. I will say, the location is nice, but honestly, since we usually go for 10 nights, I'll sacrifice the monorail for $6,000 by staying at Bonnet Creek.

I've found good deals on Priceline. Last Thanksgiving, I paid $88/night for CSR, in two weeks I'm paying $103/night for the Swan. There are still good prices out there.

That's amazing. Is it one of the buy blind types or do you get to know the property ahead of time?

I would't pay $800 for the Grand Floridian, either, because that particular resort isn't my cup of tea. But that doesn't mean I don't see that it might hold value for other people. There are circumstances where I would be tempted to pay rack rate for a few nights at a resort I do love, like the CR or the Yacht Club.

For my family, it's always been about ease, comfort and special touches. When we had toddlers, there was nothing better (IMO) than staying where we could walk to a park or two, take a monorail or boat to at least one more park, and rarely if ever have to deal with wrestling a stroller onto a bus. Add in the opportunity to sit on the balcony and watch fireworks burst over the Castle while my kids snoozed peacefully inside, and we were pretty much entirely sold on staying onsite despite knowing that it's crazy expensive. We have ever stayed offsite and it was a fine trip, but on the whole we prefer onsite and are willing to pay for it.

Our tradeoff is that we take fewer trips -- our upcoming trip (at the GF on an AP discount) will be our first in 4 years, and the next interval is likely to be much longer if prices keep going up. I have a friend whose family spends 6+ weeks every year in Orlando/Disney, staying offsite in a timeshare, and they prefer that. And while I know that the $250ish she pays for a week in an enormous condo is objectively awesome, I don't really want her vacation (and she doesn't want mine). It's just different styles.

I would't pay $800 for the Grand Floridian, either, because that particular resort isn't my cup of tea. But that doesn't mean I don't see that it might hold value for other people. There are circumstances where I would be tempted to pay rack rate for a few nights at a resort I do love, like the CR or the Yacht Club.

For my family, it's always been about ease, comfort and special touches. When we had toddlers, there was nothing better (IMO) than staying where we could walk to a park or two, take a monorail or boat to at least one more park, and rarely if ever have to deal with wrestling a stroller onto a bus. Add in the opportunity to sit on the balcony and watch fireworks burst over the Castle while my kids snoozed peacefully inside, and we were pretty much entirely sold on staying onsite despite knowing that it's crazy expensive. We have ever stayed offsite and it was a fine trip, but on the whole we prefer onsite and are willing to pay for it.

Our tradeoff is that we take fewer trips -- our upcoming trip (at the GF on an AP discount) will be our first in 4 years, and the next interval is likely to be much longer if prices keep going up. I have a friend whose family spends 6+ weeks every year in Orlando/Disney, staying offsite in a timeshare, and they prefer that. And while I know that the $250ish she pays for a week in an enormous condo is objectively awesome, I don't really want her vacation (and she doesn't want mine). It's just different styles.
Interesting point. I remember now that when we did stay onsite we had twins in strollers and that was an important part of the decision process. Now that they are out of strollers that has no bearing on the decision on where to stay.

That's amazing. Is it one of the buy blind types or do you get to know the property ahead of time?
The best deals are the blind ones, the Priceline Express deals. There's a whole thread over the on the discount codes and rates board about Priceline and how to spot the deals even if you don't know what the hotel is. There are ways to narrow it down so you have an idea of what you may get before you buy blind.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/priceline-express-deals.3598657/page-181#post-60943828

Last edited:
I have the DVC. but when I run out of points to use on studio rooms, I still stay onsite. Usually at the Allstars on some kind of promo rate. even so it's sure not going to be $60, but I can handle a bit more to not have to drive or take an hourly bus. Lyft would help but then you're spending on daily Lyft rides plus airport transportation, might as well just get the Allstar.

I don't need a kitchen, it's a vacation, I'm not cooking.

Yes the prices are crazy. And even crazier for us since our kids are DS19 and DD13 and refuse to share a bed (I don't blame them). And the 13 year old princess wants a REAL bed. No cot, no air mattress, no pull down bed, etc. She has ALWAYS been about her sleep ever since she was born. She wants to be comfortable and to sleep a good 10 hours or there is heck to pay. So two rooms for any future trips. Our last family trip was in 2015, they shared a bed at the Poly and BC but that's it.

We won't go to Disney unless we can stay onsite. When I go to Disney I want the full experience. To ME that includes onsite, eating TS, using Disney transportation, charging to MB, etc. If I can't get that then we go elsewhere. I don't go to Orlando for the sights of Orlando or the beach. I go for Disney or Universal. If I am vacationing somewhere and renting a condo or an AirBnB it's not in Orlando. I'll go to Puerto Rico and explore the island or New Orleans and explore the sights. Or book an all inclusive in the Caribbean. Or go to Europe.

I'd stay offsite... I've been very happy doing so when I must. What can I say? I guess there's really nothing to defend. If the on-site rooms are getting filled at those outrageous prices, the rooms are getting filled at those prices. :(

Maybe I've been brainwashed by my economics classes in school. If the rooms are priced higher than people are willing to pay, then more rooms would be going empty, rather than operating at near capacity (which they do). Disney wouldn't dream of charging these prices unless they knew they could.

There are too many people with money out there. I'm already ahead of most of the world's population by even being able to travel there. But I've also never stayed Deluxe, and I meet people who are doing long trips in the club level Deluxe with extra after hours tickets and even paying for premium parking.

The room will go on sale. Almost 90% certain.
Honestly, not finding them all so out of range. I just drove across country. We booked 2 rooms along the way, just grabbed them based on where we were when we wanted to stop, booked using a last minute discount rate using Priceline. Even with that we paid about the price of a Value room at Disney. Rooms weren't any better either. Ho-Jo and Clarion. Small, double beds. Old properties.

Now, are there SOME rooms that are nicer and cheaper? Sure. The hotel at our destination was. But we got it at a deal, most of the regular nights are double what I paid. For a room on Disney property they really aren't bad. Orlando's off site room rates are not typical elsewhere in the country.

Not sure why you think I (or anyone) would care where you stay.
You asked.
I answered.
Service, service, service. and Location, location, location.
The rest of what I wrote was explaining why I posted the message to which you replied to originally.
Except it isn't just marketing. We are about to move five miles from Maingate but keeping our DVC membership... why the heck would anyone do that? Because there are benefits of being on-property that are worth the price. Not everyone will see that value, but it is still there and tens hundreds of thousands of other people do.
That was in response to what someone else said.
Agree. Disney has done a good job at marketing the “magic” of staying on-site
I hope that clears up any confusion.

I think hotels ANYWHERE have gotten really expensive. Even places that aren't exciting (thinking of a trip I booked to visit family in WV... nothing there, prices were HIGH). Orlando area hotels are so cheap because there is such huge demand and saturation of the market. So yes, you can find a hotel for $60 and it may be adequate but it sure is heck is not going to be nice. But, we all have a breaking point. And, if you're at it, so be it! Plenty of off-site options - in any budget!

Have a nice trip!

Value is completely a subjective situation, no matter what the topic. I think Disney does a good job offering Value-Deluxe, hitting a wide range of price points. Personally i've never paid Rack Rate, nobody should. There are so many rolling promotions out there. That being said I recently needed a short stay (2 nights) over labor day weekend. The current promotions qualified for end on 8/28, and the next one begins on 9/1, but my travel dates are 8/30-9/1 - so offsite for this one! Was able to get the Hilton next to Disney Springs on corporate rate discount for $114/night, basically a two for one in the moderate category I had been looking at originally through Disney. I'll take it!

Lest not forget, the mentality Disney resorts are a place 'to rest your head' is faaaaar from reality, even it that's how you personally chose to use them. Disney resorts are Full Fledged RESORTS, with a multitude of amenities. What you think are exorbitant prices, are cost & overhead + profit to maintain a 24/7 resort. Take a moment on your next visit to see the lengthily list your resort offers, there are plenty of reasons vacationers won't even go to the parks on some trips and simply take advantage of what their resort offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter