Disney has a secret army...

I think that's quite a stretch. I've never given any indication of that. Just thought it was an interesting article based on the ongoing discussions here.

I also don't believe I could realistically be considered a negative poster.

I would say that you have strongly implied in other threads that there are prominent posters on this message board that you suspect of being "Disney plants". If that is not the case, so be it. Maybe I misread your intent.

I will say that if I was a Disney shill working for Disney with the cooperation of the Disboards, I certainly earned my share of "points" for my efforts. One more point and I get a free toaster.

A blogger receiving something for free/discount absolutely does invalidate the review. For me anyway.

This. I receive nothing for my reviews on Trip Adviser except the acknowledgements from the site when someone else found my review helpful. I have posted reviews for three continents and enough locations to earn a higher rank as "contributer". That is all someone should receive for a review of a travel destination. Getting anything for a free or discounted price from the product you are reviewing immediately taints the reviewer. The Mommy Bloggers can claim all they want that Disney does not edit their content but the mere fact that they receive perks edits their content.

I actually think the people who have really soured on "fishing" will eventually find something else to be enthusiastic about. But I would expect that there would be a transition period, where they're communing with like-minded peeps about how great fishing used to be and how they miss it. Or how to get the most out of modern-day "fishing" (such as it is) in the wake of fishing changes. And again, like minded peeps are bound to be in good supply on a fishing board.

I'm actually thinking more about, say, Maelstrom. People felt really strongly when it closed up, for various reasons. But if they didn't love the ride, they wouldn't have strong feelings either way. Main Street Bakery is another one that comes to mind. When people love things, they're disappointed when they go away. I'm glad to have like minded peeps to commiserate with at times.

Let's look at it this way. If I tell the average person how disappointed I am that Maelstrom closed, what are they going to say? In all likelihood, "Huh, what's that?" When I explain to them that it's a ride in Epcot ... in Disney World .... in Florida ...they're either going to look at my like I'm an idiot or they're going to think I don't have enough things to worry about in life if that's my overarching concern of the day. Now, if I post that here - totally different result.

And I agree with people, anyone, being able to post their opinion on anything related to Disney and I think that has always been encouraged on these boards. It is when someone's opinion turns into a personal vendetta against another poster is when things tend to go bad. And to the moderators credit, many of those people are not here any more. I doubt anyone has ever been booted from the boards for having an opinion contrary to the Disney company line. I just suspect that most people come here to share their positive experiences with other people of like mind which doesn't make them shills for Disney.

I will say that if I was a Disney shill working for Disney with the cooperation of the Disboards, I certainly earned my share of "points" for my efforts. One more point and I get a free toaster.
Dang. I was thinking there was more swag than a free toaster. I will stop my lobbying efforts. ;)

This. I receive nothing for my reviews on Trip Adviser except the acknowledgements from the site when someone else found my review helpful. I have posted reviews for three continents and enough locations to earn a higher rank as "contributer". That is all someone should receive for a review of a travel destination. Getting anything for a free or discounted price from the product you are reviewing immediately taints the reviewer. The Mommy Bloggers can claim all they want that Disney does not edit their content but the mere fact that they receive perks edits their content.

Reviews can and often are manipulated for reasons other than direct compensation. Yelp and Trip Advisor are two good examples. I think you need to take any reviews with a grain of salt and I respect reviewers that at least disclose that they received the product for free. You cannot assume that everyone who does is being dishonest.

I just suspect that most people come here to share their positive experiences with other people of like mind which doesn't make them shills for Disney.

I don't agree that most people come here to share their positive experiences. I think they come here for a number of reasons: questions, recommendations, strategies, gripes, information. Yes, there are positive "shares". Love reading them mostly, but I don't think this is a "fangirl" site. Hope I used that term correctly. I learned it from my 13 year old. Along with "ship" and "bae". LOL.

I do agree that sharing something positive doesn't make someone a shill for Disney. If it did, Disney would be reimbursing me for my relentlessly positive reviews of Boma ... and AKL in general. And that would be nice.

I would say that you have strongly implied in other threads that there are prominent posters on this message board that you suspect of being "Disney plants". If that is not the case, so be it. Maybe I misread your intent.
I never said anything like that related to Disney. I may have said something about posters working together to shout down any negatively perceived posts but never anything in relation to Disney. I don't know who I'd consider a prominent poster either. Maybe Robo and Mesaboy2?

I don't agree that most people come here to share their positive experiences. I think they come here for a number of reasons: questions, recommendations, strategies, gripes, information. Yes, there are positive "shares". Love reading them mostly, but I don't think this is a "fangirl" site. Hope I used that term correctly. I learned it from my 13 year old. Along with "ship" and "bae". LOL.

I do agree that sharing something positive doesn't make someone a shill for Disney. If it did, Disney would be reimbursing me for my relentlessly positive reviews of Boma ... and AKL in general. And that would be nice.

(Check is in the mail. Shhh...Don't tell anyone)

A blogger receiving something for free/discount absolutely does invalidate the review. For me anyway.

What if you tried what they were reviewing and ended up with a similar review of your own?

Seems extreme to automatically invalidate a review. Giving it less weight would make more sense. To me, anyway.

I mean--what about travel writers and food critics PAID to do review things as their job and their employer paying for these things to be reviewed. The reviewer gets it for free.

What if you tried what they were reviewing and ended up with a similar review of your own?

Seems extreme to automatically invalidate a review. Giving it less weight would make more sense. To me, anyway.

I mean--what about travel writers and food critics PAID to do review things as their job and their employer paying for these things to be reviewed. The reviewer gets it for free.

TBH, I tend not to pay much attention to reviews unless there are a lot of really negative reviews that corroborate each other, then that might keep me away from a hotel or restaurant or something. In general, though, I prefer to go and make up my own mind - especially when it comes to movies, restaurants, etc..the subject is just too.....subjective :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter