Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those with Chase Marriott/Slate cards... I read a few DPs on DoC and reddit about using some of the Chase offers on GCs and getting credit, so I decided to give it a shot. I picked up a $50 Target GC at Lowe's on my way home yesterday. I immediately got an email about using it, saying it could take about a week to credit. If it doesn't work, oh well, but fingers crossed! I'll probably try the Whole foods offer and the Staples offer too, as I also read success stories for those. If I end up with a bunch of Target GCs, well I guess I I know where I'll be grocery shopping for the next few months... :)

This is great news - thanks!

For those with Chase Marriott/Slate cards... I read a few DPs on DoC and reddit about using some of the Chase offers on GCs and getting credit, so I decided to give it a shot. I picked up a $50 Target GC at Lowe's on my way home yesterday. I immediately got an email about using it, saying it could take about a week to credit. If it doesn't work, oh well, but fingers crossed! I'll probably try the Whole foods offer and the Staples offer too, as I also read success stories for those. If I end up with a bunch of Target GCs, well I guess I I know where I'll be grocery shopping for the next few months... :)

I have a Chase Marriott card. Where are these offers you speak of?

Are "point of sale activation cards" gift cards? Asking because that's the wording on the ebates app for an exclusion to in store cash back at Best Buy.

Yes. Those are cards like gift cards that have no value until scanned, loaded, and activated at the register.

The issue will be if: 1) Target either updates their register for the 10% discount this year so that it does not allow a gift card to gift card purchase (It can easily be done so that it allows you to make the purchase and not give you the discount) or 2) If target starts cancelling the purchases afterwards like they did to many last year (and yes, they did it to both online purchases and in store purchases.) No one has any idea whether this will be an issue, so the rule of thumb should be only purchase gift cards in advance if you are willing to be stuck with them in case things don't work out. You have to evaluate for yourself the potential gains versus the risk factor and decide whether it is worth it. This is an individual decision that each person should make for themselves.

For me personally, I wouldn't risk it. I did risk it last year but that was only because I got the original Target gift card at Staples for 20% off using the Amex offer so it made it worth it. However, for the 5 ultimate rewards points vs. the 2% straight cash back you get with the citi Doublecash, the gain isn't enough for me to justify the risk. Again, that is just my personal opinion if I were in your shoes.
For me, the gain is worth the risk as long as you take some precautions.

(1) Only order ONE $300 online.

(2) Make it as much of a "cash" transaction as possible. Don't put ANY of of your Target giftcards in the Target app so they can't track the cards back to you.

(3) Don't pick the first card off the rack. Scammers can easily grab cards, write down the numbers and then put them back (even putting the back the scratch coating covering the pin). Once your card is activated they will drain it. My guess is that's what happened to the person whose physical card was drained.

Last edited:
I've been trying to come up with a work-around for NOT combining already purchased Target gift cards when purchasing Target gift cards at 10% off on Sunday. The perfect solution would be to load multiple gift cards with $270 but I think my grocery store only has $50 and $100 cards. ETA: I guess I could buy $278 worth of Target cards on Sunday, use $250 in pre-purchased Target cards and then pay the extra 20-cents in cash. Any other ideas?

BTW Blue Cash Preferred has an AF of $95. So at 6% back, you'd have to buy $1600 worth of Target cards to make back your annual fee but they're limiting you to $300/cc.
The 6% is on groceries, so you buy the initial Target cards at a grocery store (in my case, HyVee which also has fuel perks). I will max out my $6000 limit in my grocery AMEX Blue Cash Preferred cash back, with about half Target gift card purchases and half in real groceries. I just whipped up a spreadsheet yesterday covering the last 12 months because I was going to be charged the $95 and I wanted to know if it was worthwhile to keep the card. The answer was "yes" based on "groceries" alone. If I subtract the AF from just the current grocery cash back, my percentage from the last 12 months is a 4.25% discount. Of course, I had more than $95 in other cash back to cover the AF too.

The $300 limit is at Target itself. I have 5 Targets nearby that I can visit and I have never had a problem buying more that one $300 purchase in each store. I'll usually make one purchase back in cameras, one in the self check-out and another with a cashier.

Last edited:
You know, I can't share your enthusiasm about there being so many good ways as these are really the least beneficial methods of years past. Plus these are credit card perks and have little to do with gift-carding. You're claiming as much as 24% savings but you're not saving that really, you're just getting perks. I look at the gift card savings as what I save via the gc's and count the payment method perks separately because those are situational and depend on which card I'm trying to get points on. If I'm working toward SPG-Gold or SW-Companion, there is no price on those and I'll get them no matter what -- even if I don't gift card at all -- because I'll end up spending on a credit card one way or another.
The best you're really doing here is 10% on limited quantities and the methods where you double down on something like DiscoverIt is not repeatable. In other words, you couldn't pay for $10,000 worth of Disney by charging $7,600 on a card now to have a savings of 24%. That's what I'm looking for in gift carding. How much do I charge on a credit card, and how much does that pay off of a Disney trip when I finally spend it.
BTW Blue Cash Preferred has an AF of $95. So at 6% back, you'd have to buy $1600 worth of Target cards to make back your annual fee but they're limiting you to $300/cc.

I understand your point that these methods may not be as good as prior years. I'm not going to save as much as I did with the old Target-ebay gift card churn, for example. However, I still disagree with the thought that the best we are getting is 10%. I'm gonna let it go, though, and wish everyone good luck with your credit card and gift card stacking!

For those who bought multiple $300 worth of Target gift cards in store last year - did you put the purchase on the same Credit Card or did you need to spread it around on different cards?

Can anyone figure out whether the 10x chase pay at walmart deal is working on the Chase Sapphire Preferred? I've seen landing pages that show it works on Reserve and the two different types of Freedom, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus whether or not it will work on the preferred sapphire.

Can Disney GC be purchased with store gift cards in Lowes or Home Depot? Samsung pay is offering 20% off Lowes or HD GCs. I alsonhace amex points I could redeem for HD GCs and potentially turn into Disney GCs.

Can anyone figure out whether the 10x chase pay at walmart deal is working on the Chase Sapphire Preferred? I've seen landing pages that show it works on Reserve and the two different types of Freedom, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus whether or not it will work on the preferred sapphire.
Yep. Multiple DPs on Reddit confirm it works. (You could test it for your peace of mind by making a small purchase and watching if the bonus points post.)

I tried several times yesterday and could not get it to go thru. Worked for 2 Chase Freedoms, but could not get CSP to work. Today I get a call from Chase and was told there was a problem on their side and if I wanted to place the order they will help me get it to go thru.

So we made the order and it completed this time. However just moments after the order was confirmed, I got a notice from Walmart cancelling the order. They could not confirm credit card, phone number and address. I tried a second time and the same thing happened. On the Chase website both charges show up pending and refunded.

I give up.

Laura

I tried several times yesterday and could not get it to go thru. Worked for 2 Chase Freedoms, but could not get CSP to work. Today I get a call from Chase and was told there was a problem on their side and if I wanted to place the order they will help me get it to go thru.

So we made the order and it completed this time. However just moments after the order was confirmed, I got a notice from Walmart cancelling the order. They could not confirm credit card, phone number and address. I tried a second time and the same thing happened. On the Chase website both charges show up pending and refunded.

I give up.

Laura
Same exact thing happened to me!

For those who bought multiple $300 worth of Target gift cards in store last year - did you put the purchase on the same Credit Card or did you need to spread it around on different cards?

I used different cards but I did do two transactions on one card (one in the morning and one in the afternoon). The afternoon one triggered a fraud alert. I sorted it out, but just FYI.

I give up.

Laura

This happened to me with electronic gift cards. I switched to physical gift cards, and it worked without any problems.

Purchased a Chromebook through Wal-mart with Chase Pay on Friday morning and it credited me 1250 UR for my $125 order with CSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter