Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 285639 Just back from Target. Looks like Saturday is the day! Remember to use your Discover card to purchase Target GCs to get 5% cash back!

Before using Discover find out what those exclusions are. We almost got hit negatively with our $5 off $50 purchase at Target. So glad I chatted with them online after I made my purchase.

Hi Jody! I was wondering about the Target $5 instant savings, how many times can I use this?

Jody at 16:13, Nov 27:
"As long as the offer remains available on the Discover Deals site, there is no limit to the number of times you can use it.
Target will provide the discount at the time of checkout. One thing to keep in mind that I did see earlier today, is the offer isn't valid in combination with other offers, and with the Cyber Monday sale they have going today, that discount is overriding the $5 discount from Discover Deals.
Thanks. I was just going over the terms of that offer, and it also excludes electronics, which a printer would also be classified as, but as a one-time courtesy because I value your business, I'll have a courtesy credit of $5 applied to your account. This credit will reflect on your account within 48 hours."

You all might want to start chatting with your reps and emailing the chat to your account.

Going to do the Target thing on Saturday. Just hoping there is no issue with GC to GC purchase. I have never tried.
I have never had an issue with "buying" a Target GC with a Target GC until last week. I had hard copies of several eGCs that I had earned thru rewards programs and I wanted to have the total amount placed on a physical GC at customer service. Two people told me that it could not be done and that I had to use them as they were. I was not in a mood to press the issue since I was only going to turn around and use the Target GCs to pick up some Disney GCs anyway.

So, FWIW, it's definitely a case of YMMV. I have a feeling that if I go back to that same store next week and ask the same question, I'll be able to do it.

Idk on how op got to 20% but imho fair value to each of us will be different. Fair value to you is straight cash value, fair value to me is travel redemption via UR portal because = straight cash to me, we'll each have to approximate our own math on this one me thinks.
I understand fair value to everyone is different which is why the correct way to value something is the cash equivalent. I was responding to the person who said 10 Ultimate Rewards points is worth 20%, which is very misleading. Even when used for travel, Ultimate Rewards points are only worth 1.5 cents on cards like the Sapphire Preserve which has an annual fee. Sure, in some situations you may get a valuation more than that but that is very rare. On average an ultimate reward point used for travel is worth 1.25 cents, very rarely at 2 cents. That is why I felt the 20% was misleading.

Just a warning for those who are planning to do gift card to gift card purchase at Target, last year Target cancelled numerous orders purchased with gift card to gift card a day or 2 later and made people fight to get their original money back. So they are definitely aware of the issue so those who are planning on doing it, beware. See links below to last years issue:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/target-draining-e-gift-cards-purchasedrolled-online-recent-10-promo/

https://slickdeals.net/f/9482675-ta...-email-or-mobile-delivery?page=61#commentsBox

I would love to know how you are coming up with these percentages? How does getting 10 ultimate rewards points equal 20%? Yes, I know some people value an ultimate reward point at more than 1% when they are used towards travel, but the bottom line is as cash they are worth 1 cent and I think that is the fair way to value them.

If you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, and if you fly or stay in hotels, the minimum value of a chase UR is 1.5 cents per point. My spring break trips are always on Southwest airlines. Transferring Chase UR points to Southwest is worth 1.7 cents per point. Transferring to hotel partners or traveling overseas in business or first class is very often worth more than that, which is why the big credit card bloggers always value Chase UR points as more than 2 cents per point.

I included a range to account for this, but the minimum value for a Chase UR point (if you hold the Reserve card )should be 1.5 cents. If you are exchanging Chase UR points for cash, you are losing a lot of value.

If you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, and if you fly or stay in hotels, the minimum value of a chase UR is 1.5 cents per point. My spring break trips are always on Southwest airlines. Transferring Chase UR points to Southwest is worth 1.7 cents per point. Transferring to hotel partners or traveling overseas in business or first class is very often worth more than that, which is why the big credit card bloggers always value Chase UR points as more than 2 cents per point.

I included a range to account for this, but the minimum value for a Chase UR point (if you hold the Reserve card )should be 1.5 cents. If you are exchanging Chase UR points for cash, you are losing a lot of value.

And here is the problem with those valuations: For someone who is not interested in traveling in first class, it isn't worth 2 cents per mile. Most people here who are looking for a flight to Disneyworld would be perfectly content to fly in coach. So Saying 10X Ultimate Rewards points is worth 20% makes lots of assumptions which would apply to very few people on this board.

I understand fair value to everyone is different which is why the correct way to value something is the cash equivalent. I was responding to the person who said 10 Ultimate Rewards points is worth 20%, which is very misleading. Even when used for travel, Ultimate Rewards points are only worth 1.5 cents on cards like the Sapphire Preserve which has an annual fee. Sure, in some situations you may get a valuation more than that but that is very rare. On average an ultimate reward point used for travel is worth 1.25 cents, very rarely at 2 cents. That is why I felt the 20% was misleading.

I should have made it clear in my post that I was talking about redeeming UR points if you are a Reserve card holder. I was just too excited about all the deals! Anyway, as a Reserve card holder who travels, the minimum value is 1.5 cents/point. Because my family flies frequently on Southwest, minimum value is 1.7 cents/point. And I have quite frequently gotten a better value by transferring to hotel partners.

Just a warning for those who are planning to do gift card to gift card purchase at Target, last year Target cancelled numerous orders purchased with gift card to gift card a day or 2 later and made people fight to get their original money back. So they are definitely aware of the issue so those who are planning on doing it, beware. See links below to last years issue:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/target-draining-e-gift-cards-purchasedrolled-online-recent-10-promo/

https://slickdeals.net/f/9482675-ta...-email-or-mobile-delivery?page=61#commentsBox
From a quick reading, those look like eGift Cards purchased online when people ordered more than $300. It happened to me last year. I was able to convince them to issue the cards to me.

And here is the problem with those valuations: For someone who is not interested in traveling in first class, it isn't worth 2 cents per mile. Most people here who are looking for a flight to Disneyworld would be perfectly content to fly in coach. So Saying 10X Ultimate Rewards points is worth 20% makes lots of assumptions which would apply to very few people on this board.

I'm going to suggest that this discussion might belong on the loving credit cards thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/

I apologize for not mentioning the Sapphire Reserve card in my initial comment, but I stand by the post. 10x Chase UR points is worth 15-20% if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and if you pay for travel.

Another point, I also transfer my Ultimate Rewards to Southwest but it is a misnomer that you get a value of 1.7 cents. You only get that value IF Southwest has the cheapest flight on that route. For example, if Delta has a flight for $30 less to Disneyworld, if you are paying with Southwest points you are not getting 1.7 cents per point because you have to factor in the $30 extra that you would not have paid had you taken Delta. While you can get 1.7 cents a point with Southwest, I wouldn't say it is a minimum of 1.7 cents as many times you can end up getting much less than that.

Hey. no problem, I agree 100% that it CAN be worth 20% in the right situations, I just wanted to make it clear to everyone that for most people here it won't be worth anywhere near that amount.

I'm going to suggest that this discussion might belong on the loving credit cards thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/

I apologize for not mentioning the Sapphire Reserve card in my initial comment, but I stand by the post. 10x Chase UR points is worth 15-20% if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and if you pay for travel.

I tend to agree with you. If you are strategic with your UR points, you can get good value. I value them at 1.5% (CSR) to be conservative but I often get better value than that - especially if transferring to Hyatt.

Another point, I also transfer my Ultimate Rewards to Southwest but it is a misnomer that you get a value of 1.7 cents. You only get that value IF Southwest has the cheapest flight on that route. For example, if Delta has a flight for $30 less to Disneyworld, if you are paying with Southwest points you are not getting 1.7 cents per point because you have to factor in the $30 extra that you would not have paid had you taken Delta. While you can get 1.7 cents a point with Southwest, I wouldn't say it is a minimum of 1.7 cents as many times you can end up getting much less than that.

Yes, but the Delta flight would have cost no more than 1.5 cents/point when purchased through transfer of UR points to Flying Blue. That's why I included the range. The minimum value, though, is 1.5 cents per point.

Again, you will get no argument that for people who value points, Chase ultimate rewards points CAN be worth 1.5 -2 cents per point in certain situations. My point was that when I post an Amex Offer that nets 25% off, that is worth 25% off to everyone. My complaint is that it is unfair to start assigning a value to points that will be different to everyone. This is the budget board, so many people are looking to go to Disneyworld on a BUDGET. That means not flying First class, not Staying at the Hyatt, etc.

Debating whether or not to try the Ink @ staples into target gift card before buying Target discounted gift cards. I almost had a heart attack at each family member's transaction last year thinking I'd end up with that one cashier who'd raise a stink so I'm just not sure that extra 5x UR is worth the self-imposed stress this time around...

Yes, but the Delta flight would have cost no more than 1.5 cents/point. That's why I included the range. The minimum value, though, is 1.5 cents per point.
Again, you will get no argument that for people who value points, Chase ultimate rewards points CAN be worth 1.5 -2 cents per point in certain situations. My point was that when I post an Amex Offer that nets 25% off, that is worth 25% off to everyone. My complaint is that it is unfair to start assigning a value to points that will be different to everyone. This is the budget board, so many people are looking to go to Disneyworld on a BUDGET. That means not flying First class, not Staying at the Hyatt, etc.

I feel like we've hijacked the thread, but I just want to state that I have never flown first class or business class in my life, though I have occasionally stayed in a swanky hotel. I am flying Southwest at 1.7 cents per point because it is always the cheapest flight from my airport during spring break week. We are staying in an airport the night before our flight - this hotel airport would have cost me over $120 with my AAA discount and taxes, but I got it for 6000 UR points, 2 cents per point. The 1.5 - 2 cents per point is for standard travel. The valuations I have seen that are higher than 2 cents per point are generally for luxury travel.

This is the budget board, so many people are looking to go to Disneyworld on a BUDGET. That means not flying First class, not Staying at the Hyatt, etc.

I am ALWAYS on a budget. I also stay at Hyatts. I do so because Hyatts are a good value (the Lake Mary Hyatt Place on the way to WDW is a steal at 5K points). I personally appreciate posts like the previous from @trstno1 and feel is is very appropriate for this thread - even though points values are and always will be debatable.

Does anyone remember if the discounted target gift cards are activated right away? Can I buy it and turn around and use it for my grocery shopping & Disney cards the day I buy it?

Debating whether or not to try the Ink @ staples into target gift card before buying Target discounted gift cards. I almost had a heart attack at each family member's transaction last year thinking I'd end up with that one cashier who'd raise a stink so I'm just not sure that extra 5x UR is worth the self-imposed stress this time around...

Would you be able to use the Target gift cards you bought with the Ink for other stuff if they wouldn't allow the gift cards? Or even if you could use them eventually could you take the financial hit this time of year of almost having to buy more than needed? For me I am just going to put the Target gift cards on my Discover and call it good. I will probably do about $900 and that is a huge chunk as it is and a little stressful. 5 times UR is tempting but not worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter