Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debating whether or not to try the Ink @ staples into target gift card before buying Target discounted gift cards. I almost had a heart attack at each family member's transaction last year thinking I'd end up with that one cashier who'd raise a stink so I'm just not sure that extra 5x UR is worth the self-imposed stress this time around...

The issue will be if: 1) Target either updates their register for the 10% discount this year so that it does not allow a gift card to gift card purchase (It can easily be done so that it allows you to make the purchase and not give you the discount) or 2) If target starts cancelling the purchases afterwards like they did to many last year (and yes, they did it to both online purchases and in store purchases.) No one has any idea whether this will be an issue, so the rule of thumb should be only purchase gift cards in advance if you are willing to be stuck with them in case things don't work out. You have to evaluate for yourself the potential gains versus the risk factor and decide whether it is worth it. This is an individual decision that each person should make for themselves.

For me personally, I wouldn't risk it. I did risk it last year but that was only because I got the original Target gift card at Staples for 20% off using the Amex offer so it made it worth it. However, for the 5 ultimate rewards points vs. the 2% straight cash back you get with the citi Doublecash, the gain isn't enough for me to justify the risk. Again, that is just my personal opinion if I were in your shoes.

Wow this thread has grown since 200 pages when I used to post!

Clearly it’s been awhile and it’s seems Target has been more attentive... Will I be ok purchasing $300 in target gift cards @ 10% off using my discover card and then using those target gift cards to purchase disney gift cards? Thanks!

Wow this thread has grown since 200 pages when I used to post!

Clearly it’s been awhile and it’s seems Target has been more attentive... Will I be ok purchasing $300 in target gift cards @ 10% off using my discover card and then using those target gift cards to purchase disney gift cards? Thanks!
Probably but there are no guarantees. You need to be ok spending that $300 organically at Target in case it doesn't work (and there have been reports of a couple Targets -just a couple- where this is no longer allowed).

Would you be able to use the Target gift cards you bought with the Ink for other stuff if they wouldn't allow the gift cards? Or even if you could use them eventually could you take the financial hit this time of year of almost having to buy more than needed? For me I am just going to put the Target gift cards on my Discover and call it good. I will probably do about $900 and that is a huge chunk as it is and a little stressful. 5 times UR is tempting but not worth it to me.

The issue will be if: 1) Target either updates their register for the 10% discount this year so that it does not allow a gift card to gift card purchase (It can easily be done so that it allows you to make the purchase and not give you the discount) or 2) If target starts cancelling the purchases afterwards like they did to many last year (and yes, they did it to both online purchases and in store purchases.) No one has any idea whether this will be an issue, so the rule of thumb should be only purchase gift cards in advance if you are willing to be stuck with them in case things don't work out. You have to evaluate for yourself the potential gains versus the risk factor and decide whether it is worth it. This is an individual decision that each person should make for themselves.

For me personally, I wouldn't risk it. I did risk it last year but that was only because I got the original Target gift card at Staples for 20% off using the Amex offer so it made it worth it. However, for the 5 ultimate rewards points vs. the 2% straight cash back you get with the citi Doublecash, the gain isn't enough for me to justify the risk. Again, that is just my personal opinion if I were in your shoes.
Thank you both! 5x UR is not worth it to me right now as I think through this. Keep it simple, keep my sanity!

Here is the fine print for the Target 10% off all Target Gift Cards (at least in the ad for the Nashville, TN area):

* Offer Restrictions: Target GiftCards purchased during 10% off offer may be redeemed beginning Monday, December 4th at 10am Central. Offer valid for up to $300 in Target GiftCard purchases ($30 maximum discount) per household. Minimum GiftCard purchase is $10. Limit one transaction up to $300 in Target GiftCards at Target.com. Offer does not include Target Visa Gift Cards, Target MasterCard Gift Cards, Target American Express Gift Cards, and gift cards issued by other retailers. Offer excludes reloads of previously purchased Target GiftCards, Target GiftCards given in exchange for electronic or prepaid trade-ins, Target GiftCards provided for merchandise returns, Merchandise Return Cards and Target GiftCards provided as free promotional card with qualifying purchase. Quantities limited; no rain checks. Purchases of Target GiftCards that exceed certain transaction limits may be voided. Terms and conditions apply to gift cards.

From the Target GiftCards FAQ:

Are there any exceptions for purchasing gift cards?
Target GiftCards can’t be used to purchase the following:
  • American Express, Visa and Mastercard gift cards in store or from Target.com.
  • Specialty gift cards from Target.com, including gift cards for gaming, music and restaurants, such as iTunes, Xbox and Olive Garden.
  • Target GiftCards from Target.com.

Are "point of sale activation cards" gift cards? Asking because that's the wording on the ebates app for an exclusion to in store cash back at Best Buy.

I never found them in my store so I don't know where to look, is Target still doing gift cards that come with a little toy or puzzle? I've heard about them but don't know where to check in the store for them. If they have them are the on end/side caps somewhere?

I never found them in my store so I don't know where to look, is Target still doing gift cards that come with a little toy or puzzle? I've heard about them but don't know where to check in the store for them. If they have them are the on end/side caps somewhere?
I am not sure if they still do, but I usually see them on the end in the greeting cards area.

So Target did do the official announcement today for the GC deal and y'all have all the details already :) But they also announced the Wondershop events for Dec 1 - 17.
https://www.target.com/c/store-events/-/N-9x2nj

During that time they'll have a Lego photo booth backdrop you can get your picture at and this weekend certain stores are doing a free photo and magnet frame giveaway for it. The link has all the details and where you can find the stores. I figured I'd point it out since everyone will be there this weekend anyway picking up GC's.

I am not sure if they still do, but I usually see them on the end in the greeting cards area.

Great, thanks! Probably why I never see them, I hardly ever actually go in the greeting card aisles, closest I get is the GC section and that's on the main aisle.

There are so many good ways to pick up discounted Disney gift cards this year!
-Use Chase cards to purchase Walmart gift cards for 10x UR points, then purchase Disney gift cards at Sam's Club. Effective discount of 19-24% (or higher).
-Use Chase cards to purchase Disney gift cards at Best Buy for 10x UR points. Effective discount of 15-20% (or higher).
-Use Chase Ink Preferred to purchase Target gift cards at Staples (or similar), then purchase Target gift cards at 10% discount. Effective discount of 17.5-20% (or higher).
-Use AmEx Blue to purchase Target gift cards at 6% cash back, then purchase Target gift cards at 10% discount, then purchase Disney gift cards at Target. Effective discount ~15.4%.
-Use new DiscoverIt, with 10% cash back at Target, to purchase Target gift cards at 10% off, then purchase Disney gift cards at Target. Effective discount ~19%
You know, I can't share your enthusiasm about there being so many good ways as these are really the least beneficial methods of years past. Plus these are credit card perks and have little to do with gift-carding. You're claiming as much as 24% savings but you're not saving that really, you're just getting perks. I look at the gift card savings as what I save via the gc's and count the payment method perks separately because those are situational and depend on which card I'm trying to get points on. If I'm working toward SPG-Gold or SW-Companion, there is no price on those and I'll get them no matter what -- even if I don't gift card at all -- because I'll end up spending on a credit card one way or another.
The best you're really doing here is 10% on limited quantities and the methods where you double down on something like DiscoverIt is not repeatable. In other words, you couldn't pay for $10,000 worth of Disney by charging $7,600 on a card now to have a savings of 24%. That's what I'm looking for in gift carding. How much do I charge on a credit card, and how much does that pay off of a Disney trip when I finally spend it.
BTW Blue Cash Preferred has an AF of $95. So at 6% back, you'd have to buy $1600 worth of Target cards to make back your annual fee but they're limiting you to $300/cc.

Last edited:
For those with Chase Marriott/Slate cards... I read a few DPs on DoC and reddit about using some of the Chase offers on GCs and getting credit, so I decided to give it a shot. I picked up a $50 Target GC at Lowe's on my way home yesterday. I immediately got an email about using it, saying it could take about a week to credit. If it doesn't work, oh well, but fingers crossed! I'll probably try the Whole foods offer and the Staples offer too, as I also read success stories for those. If I end up with a bunch of Target GCs, well I guess I I know where I'll be grocery shopping for the next few months... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter