Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you interested, money magazine did an article on the costs of a Disney vacation:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/really-costs-walt-disney-world-160032916.html

Personally, I think their numbers are a little high on the airfare (I guess it depends from where in the country you are flying) and the hotel they used the full Disney rate, but you can almost always get those on sale.

Saw this posted on one of the FB pages I frequent. The author is out of touch with reality. They didn't take into account quite a few variables i.e. promotions/discounts which are almost always offered, the unnecessary use of park hoppers for most young families as it's incredibly exhausting, the dining plan also not being necessary (I believe it's great for some families but not all), many families drive in and I for one have never spent more than $300 roundtrip on airfare as driving isn't practical from California. Lastly, saving 5-10% (minimum) is rather easy to come by using discounted Disney Gift Cards to pay for everything but flights (flights and using miles is another story and also another way to save). Combine that with using an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who will sometimes offer a perk for using them and you can go to Disney World for A LOT less than what the author suggests.

I just got my new Discover It card in the mail to replace my old one and it comes with the Cashback Bonus Match for 12 months. That coupled with Sam's Club or BJ's with this quarter being Warehouse Clubs for the 5% bonus is a pretty good discount that's easy to come by.

Uber gift card deal at Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

FREE $5 Gamestop gift card w/ purchase of an Uber gift card (page 5).

The Uber gift card is in increments of $15-$500 so I just gave them 6 Uber gift cards and had them put $15 on each. Also gave the Gamestop employee 6 $5 gift cards. When they ring them up, the POS system will give you the $5 gift cards for free. You can also then purchase Amazon GC with the Gamestop GC (YMMV).

Did this on 5/14 and it worked like a charm and got $90 worth of Uber for $60. I thought 5/14 was the last day, but it looks like it's in the ad for this week starting today. The weird thing is that it says that the offer is valid until 5/14 on the ad. They might have forgotten to change it or it might be an error, so YMMV.

How does the Discover It card work? and is it the best card to save on Disney right now? You get 5% off the gift cards at BJs and 5% warehouse clubs until June+5% at the end of year? Are the rewards in cash and is there a yearly fee? I don't really need a new card right now but with the price of tickets--I could easily change my mind..lol

Saw this posted on one of the FB pages I frequent. The author is out of touch with reality. They didn't take into account quite a few variables i.e. promotions/discounts which are almost always offered, the unnecessary use of park hoppers for most young families as it's incredibly exhausting, the dining plan also not being necessary (I believe it's great for some families but not all), many families drive in and I for one have never spent more than $300 roundtrip on airfare as driving isn't practical from California.

Just a quick comment on this and then back to gift cards. I fly out of Seattle and I can never find flights under $300. I get insanely jealous when I read on The Dis the low airfare people can find. I paid $400/person for our trip this August. In June, I'm going to DC and paid over $600. Last year paid over $500/person to go to Detroit in July. So in the article that airfare is accurate for me. Totally agree on all the ways that a family can save (which I take full advantage of) but airfare is always the highest cost of my trips. Granted there are reasons for the high cost - the time of year (only go when my kids kids are on a break from school) and there isn't the airport competition here like in other parts of the country. I could fly out of Portland but that is a 3 hr drive, when SeaTac is an hour. Vancouver BC is an option too but the price never compensates for the hassle. Anyway, I've been seeing discussions on low airfares lately and I so wish that were true for me.

Just a quick comment on this and then back to gift cards. I fly out of Seattle and I can never find flights under $300. I get insanely jealous when I read on The Dis the low airfare people can find. I paid $400/person for our trip this August. In June, I'm going to DC and paid over $600. Last year paid over $500/person to go to Detroit in July. So in the article that airfare is accurate for me. Totally agree on all the ways that a family can save (which I take full advantage of) but airfare is always the highest cost of my trips. Granted there are reasons for the high cost - the time of year (only go when my kids kids are on a break from school) and there isn't the airport competition here like in other parts of the country. I could fly out of Portland but that is a 3 hr drive, when SeaTac is an hour. Vancouver BC is an option too but the price never compensates for the hassle. Anyway, I've been seeing discussions on low airfares lately and I so wish that were true for me.

On any given day, the prices for flights will average around $450 from LAX (not my airport of choice but only airport to offer non-stop, red eyes within 45 minutes of us). I stalk and stalk Kayak daily. Multiple times a day beginning about 9 months out. Last time we flew from LAX to MCO (January) it was $180 per person. I think the "average" cost they used is inaccurate because like I said, many of the East Coast people drive (many, not all) and like myself, I think many people fly for less than that (many, not all). I booked my cousin's flight last fall: $230 RT. Booked for a friend: $280. (Both LAX) Maybe $350 isn't too far off but I think it's inaccurate from the accounts I've come across.

On any given day, the prices for flights will average around $450 from LAX (not my airport of choice but only airport to offer non-stop, red eyes within 45 minutes of us). I stalk and stalk Kayak daily. Multiple times a day beginning about 9 months out. Last time we flew from LAX to MCO (January) it was $180 per person. I think the "average" cost they used is inaccurate because like I said, many of the East Coast people drive (many, not all) and like myself, I think many people fly for less than that (many, not all). I booked my cousin's flight last fall: $230 RT. Booked for a friend: $280. (Both LAX) Maybe $350 isn't too far off but I think it's inaccurate from the accounts I've come across.
$350 is a deal flying from my Podunk, West Coast town- but, I call it Podunk for a reason! I can't imagine $350 is an accurate estimate for most people flying to WDW from the contiguous 48 states but I can understand how easy it is to skew the data on this particular stat. Right now for my dates flights are running $520 from my home airport, average that with someone going out of LA at $280 and I can get you an average airline price of $400 to fly to WDW :) How's that saying go? Lies, Darned Lies, and Statistics...

$350 is a deal flying from my Podunk, West Coast town- but, I call it Podunk for a reason! I can't imagine $350 is an accurate estimate for most people flying to WDW from the contiguous 48 states but I can understand how easy it is to skew the data on this particular stat. Right now for my dates flights are running $520 from my home airport, average that with someone going out of LA at $280 and I can get you an average airline price of $400 to fly to WDW :) How's that saying go? Lies, Darned Lies, and Statistics...

Not trying to argue, but $520 RIGHT now, correct? I guess what I'm saying is, IT CAN be done for less if people took the time to research rather than purchase on impulse. (Too many people I know are always amazed at the prices I get. They pay nearly twice as much as I do without thinking twice and complain how exepensive it is to travel to WDW or the East Coast in general) And again, those driving aren't factored into the equation. Might be as little as $300 for a family of 4 to drive from somewhere in the East/South within, I don't know, 800 miles? Thus bringing that average WAY down. I guess my point is, yes, some will pay $500 or more to fly but I can almost guarantee it can be done for less with flight sales, miles/credit card points etc. and those that drive.

Sorry to go off topic, Disney Gift Card Deals thread!

For those of you interested, money magazine did an article on the costs of a Disney vacation:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/really-costs-walt-disney-world-160032916.html

Personally, I think their numbers are a little high on the airfare (I guess it depends from where in the country you are flying) and the hotel they used the full Disney rate, but you can almost always get those on sale.

I think they're mostly on target, but it also depends on *when* you go.

For us, airfare even on southwest (had we paid cash) was like $267 (or thereabouts) each way plus taxes. ALB to MCO. In October of this year. Fortunately I lucked out and got the $127 rate (well it was in points) for the return.

I priced out the 2nd cheapest hotel for my sister's family and the most basic meal plan with park tickets and it was almost $4k. Not counting airfare. By using my timeshare and whatnot, she'll be quite a bit cheaper than that. Although haven't added in groceries yet, as October isn't here yet. Unfortunately. LOL!

Saw this posted on one of the FB pages I frequent. The author is out of touch with reality. They didn't take into account quite a few variables i.e. promotions/discounts which are almost always offered, the unnecessary use of park hoppers for most young families as it's incredibly exhausting, the dining plan also not being necessary (I believe it's great for some families but not all), many families drive in and I for one have never spent more than $300 roundtrip on airfare as driving isn't practical from California. Lastly, saving 5-10% (minimum) is rather easy to come by using discounted Disney Gift Cards to pay for everything but flights (flights and using miles is another story and also another way to save). Combine that with using an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who will sometimes offer a perk for using them and you can go to Disney World for A LOT less than what the author suggests.
That article is total crap. Absolute highest prices for everything during peak pricing. I have never paid more than $300 pp on airfare from LAX ($200 on my last visit), and my room at Pop rack rate is only $117. For my family of 3, we are going to spend roughly $3300 for a week at Pop, 10 days with a full size car (visiting family for a few days before), 7 day park hoppers, and an upgraded DDP (QS portion free).. tips, souvenirs, groceries, upgrade to AP, etc all included in my approximate after buying gift cards from Target. Yeah, so maybe with absolutely zero planning, going during peak season, last minute airline flights their numbers might make sense.

How does the Discover It card work? and is it the best card to save on Disney right now? You get 5% off the gift cards at BJs and 5% warehouse clubs until June+5% at the end of year? Are the rewards in cash and is there a yearly fee? I don't really need a new card right now but with the price of tickets--I could easily change my mind..lol

In my opinion, yes it is the best card to save on Disney gift cards. No annual fee, lots of other benifits too. The rewards come when your statement closes and can be applied to bil. The double cash back is at the end of your card year. So you would get the extra 5% back next spring. Best option is the $100 Disney gift card from BJ's for $94.99 free shipping don't have to be a member.

I think they're mostly on target, but it also depends on *when* you go.

For us, airfare even on southwest (had we paid cash) was like $267 (or thereabouts) each way plus taxes. ALB to MCO. In October of this year. Fortunately I lucked out and got the $127 rate (well it was in points) for the return.

I priced out the 2nd cheapest hotel for my sister's family and the most basic meal plan with park tickets and it was almost $4k. Not counting airfare. By using my timeshare and whatnot, she'll be quite a bit cheaper than that. Although haven't added in groceries yet, as October isn't here yet. Unfortunately. LOL!
The article stated they were basing their price estimates on a summer trip - June/July - so, one of the most expensive times to go. But also when many people do go because of their children's school schedule.

Flight costs vary so much depending on where you're flying from, the airline, day of the week you fly, etc etc that I have no idea how they came up with their average. I think those that can fly Southwest, or can fly on a weekday instead of the weekend, find the best prices on airfare. We live in NYC, so while we do have a few airports we can choose from (although usually the extra expense to get to Newark from Brooklyn isn't worth the savings on the flight), there aren't any direct flights on Southwest from here to MCO. Our best options are JetBlue and Delta. For our last few trips (all in August) I've paid $250-$300pp round trip. This year I used Chase points to buy our JetBlue flights but it would've been around $250pp if I'd paid cash.

Not trying to argue, but $520 RIGHT now, correct? I guess what I'm saying is, IT CAN be done for less if people took the time to research rather than purchase on impulse. (Too many people I know are always amazed at the prices I get. They pay nearly twice as much as I do without thinking twice and complain how exepensive it is to travel to WDW or the East 0 or more to fly but I can almost guarantee it can be done for less with flight sales, miles/credit card points etc. and those that drive.)

Sorry to go off topic, Disney Gift Card Deals thread!
:offtopic: Agreed! I'll wrap up my little point.
Lol- Nope, my Nov dates. Needless to say not buying now. (And ain't no flight sales to back East outta here!) I was just showing how easy one can skew a stat with "legit" info, author might not have been as inaccurate as we thought- just manipulative or lazy :) (I can't afford the time off to drive to a big city. I got 350 4 months out 2 years ago and it was the best price offered in the 8 months leading to my trip. I checked almost every day even after booking because, well, I'm ridiculous about trying to get the best price!)

Back to gift card deals! Wish I had something to add to that- data point maybe? As someone earlier also did, I just used the Amex deal at Office Depot to buy a variable load Disney Gift Card for $50 and also got my $10 statement credit the next day on both cards.

Newbie here with the Best Buy offers. I bought the two $100 card offer that ended last week, but I'm confused; where is my extra $20????? Help, please. Thank you.

The article stated they were basing their price estimates on a summer trip - June/July - so, one of the most expensive times to go. But also when many people do go because of their children's school schedule.

Flight costs vary so much depending on where you're flying from, the airline, day of the week you fly, etc etc that I have no idea how they came up with their average. I think those that can fly Southwest, or can fly on a weekday instead of the weekend, find the best prices on airfare. We live in NYC, so while we do have a few airports we can choose from (although usually the extra expense to get to Newark from Brooklyn isn't worth the savings on the flight), there aren't any direct flights on Southwest from here to MCO. Our best options are JetBlue and Delta. For our last few trips (all in August) I've paid $250-$300pp round trip. This year I used Chase points to buy our JetBlue flights but it would've been around $250pp if I'd paid cash.

Southwest does fly into MCO twice daily directly from Newark, they stated that route around a year ago. They also have 3 direct flights daily out of Islip, Long Island (which is around 1 hour 15 minutes from Brooklyn). That being said, the flight costs for this summer seem much more expensive compared to the last few summers. While I booked my flight on Southwest for late August to Disney, I will rebook it if the price goes down (hopefully) as it gets closer. That is the key advantage to Southwest, you book as early as possible and then if the price goes down or your plans change there is no cost to rebook or cancel.

Here are my costs for the mid August trip:

5 nights at All Star Music $517.60 ($91.20 per night + tax) paid for with gift cards bought with Amex offers at 29% off so the actual cost to me was $367.50

4 Park Magic Ticket: $336.54 ($316 +20.54 tax) paid for with gift cards bought with Amex offers at 29% off so the actual cost to me was $238.94

I will update with the actual flight cost once the trip gets closer.

Southwest does fly into MCO twice daily directly from Newark, they stated that route around a year ago. They also have 3 direct flights daily out of Islip, Long Island (which is around 1 hour 15 minutes from Brooklyn). That being said, the flight costs for this summer seem much more expensive compared to the last few summers. While I booked my flight on Southwest for late August to Disney, I will rebook it if the price goes down (hopefully) as it gets closer. That is the key advantage to Southwest, you book as early as possible and then if the price goes down or your plans change there is no cost to rebook or cancel.
I didn't know about the direct flights out of Newark. I did look into flying SW out of Long Island, but it would take us twice as long to get out there than it takes us to get to either JFK or LGA plus the additional cost for car service/Uber since we don't have our own car. The difference in airfare wasn't enough to make it worth all that to me. Maybe when my kids are older and not such pains in the butt in the car I'll consider it again but for now the less time spent in a car the better, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter