Disney Genie Is Now Live Post Your Hints and Tips

I need a brain refresher. Is there a difference between old Maxpass and new Genie+ in terms of ride selection windows? Was the old Maxpass 90 minutes (or after tapping in) before selecting another one...and the new Genie+ 120 minutes (or after tapping in)?

I need a brain refresher. Is there a difference between old Maxpass and new Genie+ in terms of ride selection windows? Was the old Maxpass 90 minutes (or after tapping in) before selecting another one...and the new Genie+ 120 minutes (or after tapping in)?
Correct +
Cannot use LL more than once like you could with MP.

Genie + was worth it for Disneyland and California adventure. We rode several rides with the passes plus got extra passes because when the window for one of the rides came up it was shutdown so those passes could be used anywhere. We did about a day and a half at Disneyland and a full day at California adventure. Rise of the resistance was awesome. Also really enjoyed the guardians of the galaxy and incredicoaster.
Weather was amazing too!

I read through theses threads before but now we’re here and I’m confused. We’re in DCA this morning, hopping to DLR this afternoon. I got LL for Matterhorn first, then when another opened I got Hyperspace mtn. It booked both at the same time. Is it supposed to do that? I thought they couldn’t conflict.

I read through theses threads before but now we’re here and I’m confused. We’re in DCA this morning, hopping to DLR this afternoon. I got LL for Matterhorn first, then when another opened I got Hyperspace mtn. It booked both at the same time. Is it supposed to do that? I thought they couldn’t conflict.
Your return times can overlap, what’s happening is your likely getting the first hour of return after park hopping starts because the passes aren’t that far out yet for in that park guests at the moment.

I have to report that we had a fantastic time with Genie+. It really only became difficult later in the evening but by then we had ridden most of what we wanted. It's not as good or as fair as Maxpass + paper Fastpass for all but for an out-of-town, once maybe 2 years visitor who wants to maximize their time, it is great.

Some advice on Genie+ if you rope drop Tomorrowland, you do not need to book anything in the 8-10am hours. It is all walk-ons minus Space Mountain. RD Space Mt and you are golden. Then you can book it again later with your Genie+. Honestly, we found this was true for Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mt, Millenium Falcon, Matterhorn, and Indy before 10am. All were low waits to walk ons.

We did this on day 1: Hyperspace Mt>Star Tours>Buzz>Jolly Holiday>Alice>Tea Cups>Mr Toad>Snow White>Pinocchio, all before 11am. Then it was Big Thunder (LL)>Haunted Mansion(LL)>Indy (LL)>Jungle Cruise>lunch>break. Booked Matterhorn LL at 5pm>Carousel>Casey Jr>Small World LL>MSEP>Hyperspace (LL)>Star Tours (LL)

A big tip and I'm sure it's been covered here but Fresh Baked helped me see this though he was reporting it more in the negative for Genie+, if the standby for Indiana Jones says under 30 minutes, check what the outdoor queue looks like. Head into the standby line and see if there are many people waiting in the area next to the Jungle Cruise river and on the outdoor ramp heading into the building. If it is low, do not book the Genie+ for Indy as you only skip the outdoor standby portion which is a waste of a Genie selection. Save it for when the ride is fully booked in that outdoor standby line.

Genie+ was even better in DCA. We hit every Genie+ ride except Grizzly River Run as we didn't want to get soaked. If you want to rope drop Pixar Pier, you can ride Incredicoaster multiple times before even needing to think about using a LL for it. We rode it 3 straight times with made DD14 very happy. Then we grabbed the breakfast burrito from the Joffrey's cart just over the bridge and sat on the bench to eat before going to Midway Mania on a LL selection. I would definitely do a quick LL for Goofy's Sky School as that is a terrible loader and a bad line to get stuck in.

We did this at DCA: Incredicoaster X3>breakfast>TSMM (LL)>Jessie's carousel>Pixar Pal Around>Inside Out>Swings>Goofy Sky School (LL)>Ariel>lunch at Pym's>Spiderman ILL>Guardians (LL)>Mater's>break. Radiator Racers wasn't open that day so we did a ILL for it the next day when it reopened.

Day 3 at DL: Rope dropped Millenium Falcon since we didn't want to wait in the Rise line and risk all that wait time for it to go down. So we booked a ILL for it. It's worth it to me given how much that ride goes down. It went down when our original 9am time was up so we waited until after our Oga's reservation at 10:25 to try it. We did MFSR twice, walk on>Ronto Roasters for breakfast>Big Thunder (LL)>Oga's>Rise>Haunted Mansion (LL)>Splash Mt (LL)>Radiator Racers ILL>break. Came back and did the Matterhorn LL before our Fantasmic dinner.

Tried to buy genie plus on a one day ticket today but there is not option listed. Unless I’m missing it looks like June 8th was not the correct date. Bummer

Tried to buy genie plus on a one day ticket today but there is not option listed. Unless I’m missing it looks like June 8th was not the correct date. Bummer
You can buy it tomorrow morning on the Disneyland app once you're scanned in at the turnstile.

I just checked and I could get it when I selected June 12th as the single day. After you select your park and hit next, you can buy both Genie+ and parking.

So, can we still edit the tip board to move attractions we want to the top?

No seeing an option for this, unless its only unlocked when your are in the parks on your day?

So, can we still edit the tip board to move attractions we want to the top?

No seeing an option for this, unless its only unlocked when your are in the parks on your day?
Yes, just start the Genie process (the free "day planning" service, not Genie+) and only check the attractions you want at the top. Don't select any other options or interests. Once you've gone through it at least once and selected at least one attraction to pin at the top of the list, you'll get that "edit selections" option at the top to make it easier to change which attraction(s) are pinned.

Would love to hear you elaborate once you're done with your trip what went wrong and even things that went right with G+
In a nutshell, we had park hoppers starting in DCA and RSR was down when the park opened that day. It never opened all day, which had a major effect on the other LL attractions. It was also extremely crowded that day.

We got a bit of a late start arriving at 9am and the LL return times were already 1-2 hours out for the things we wanted to ride (Toy Story, Guardians, Soarin, Incredicoaster). This meant we only got to ride three rides with LL before we hopped at 1pm (Incredicoaster, Soarin and Guardians). The standby waits were very long even early in the morning. It was a rough morning.

Once we hopped to DL it was a similar scenario with lots of ride breakdowns and LL return times that were 2-5 hours out. Due to this and also due to the fact that we had a dining package to watch Fantasmic (and we were traveling with young kids who can’t stay up much past the fireworks), we were only able to get four LL in DL between 1:30pm and 7:30pm (when we sat down to wait for Fantasmic). Those were Star Tours, MFSR, Big Thunder and Autotopia (which we were only able to ride due to a ME pass that we got when Big Thunder broke down before we could ride).

It was pretty disappointing to spend all that money ($120 for the six in our immediate party) and only get a few rides in each park. We were in the parks for 13 hours (9am to 10pm).

The return times being so far out meant we had to wait a long time to be able to pick up another LL. By which time the returns were so far out that eventually we couldn’t use the service anymore. And the standby lines were so long that doing things standby wasn’t a great option either.

We are passholders who come often and rarely buy Genie+ but our friends with us only come every few years and shelled out $500 for two tier-five park hoppers with Genie+. It was just really disappointing and felt like a waste of money though without it I guess we wouldn’t have ridden much of anything at all. 🤷‍♀️

In a nutshell, we had park hoppers starting in DCA and RSR was down when the park opened that day. It never opened all day, which had a major effect on the other LL attractions. It was also extremely crowded that day.

We got a bit of a late start arriving at 9am and the LL return times were already 1-2 hours out for the things we wanted to ride (Toy Story, Guardians, Soarin, Incredicoaster). This meant we only got to ride three rides with LL before we hopped at 1pm (Incredicoaster, Soarin and Guardians). The standby waits were very long even early in the morning. It was a rough morning.

Once we hopped to DL it was a similar scenario with lots of ride breakdowns and LL return times that were 2-5 hours out. Due to this and also due to the fact that we had a dining package to watch Fantasmic (and we were traveling with young kids who can’t stay up much past the fireworks), we were only able to get four LL in DL between 1:30pm and 7:30pm (when we sat down to wait for Fantasmic). Those were Star Tours, MFSR, Big Thunder and Autotopia (which we were only able to ride due to a ME pass that we got when Big Thunder broke down before we could ride).

It was pretty disappointing to spend all that money ($120 for the six in our immediate party) and only get a few rides in each park. We were in the parks for 13 hours (9am to 10pm).

The return times being so far out meant we had to wait a long time to be able to pick up another LL. By which time the returns were so far out that eventually we couldn’t use the service anymore. And the standby lines were so long that doing things standby wasn’t a great option either.

We are passholders who come often and rarely buy Genie+ but our friends with us only come every few years and shelled out $500 for two tier-five park hoppers with Genie+. It was just really disappointing and felt like a waste of money though without it I guess we wouldn’t have ridden much of anything at all. 🤷‍♀️
Thanks for the info. Sounds rough, was hoping it'd be easier to use G+ at Disneyland this summer than it was at WDW over Christmas 😔

When rsr didn't open, was that because of the ride vehicle fire a few weeks ago?

Just be glad you visit DLR and not WDW where guests are actually warned in the app to expect G+ to work for 2-3 attractions per day.

We are here now and did day 1 yesterday. Genie was worth every penny for us. We planned to arrive at rope drop but it took longer than expected to get in. We started in DL and hit Smugglers at 8:45 with a 10-15 min wait standby. Then RoTR with ILL. Then Smugglers again with LL. In between we did GE and shops. Then lunch. Then BTM LL and Star Tours LL. By then it was getting warm and crowded and we had planned a break around 1ish.

While out on break, I got ILL for Web and LL for Guardians and TSM. Arrived back at CA around 4:30. Rode Guardians, then got LL for Incredicoaster. Rode that and TSM and then Web. In between shops and dinner. Then World of Color.

I felt like we got on a lot with very minimal waits. Plus the photopass was great too. Got lots of photos all over. We never waited more than 15 min and boy lines were long on standby most of the day.

Today we go back but in reverse, starting in CA then DL. Hope Rsr comes back up today. Also holing to see Fantasmic tonight!

Thanks for the info. Sounds rough, was hoping it'd be easier to use G+ at Disneyland this summer than it was at WDW over Christmas 😔

When rsr didn't open, was that because of the ride vehicle fire a few weeks ago?
This was Saturday 6/11. I’m not sure why RSR didn’t open.

This was Saturday 6/11. I’m not sure why RSR didn’t open.
Thanks, I looked back and saw that the ride just reopened last Monday, I think, from the fire, so guessing they're still having intermittent issues with it. Sorry you and your friends missed out 😟

Day 2 with genie. Started at 9 am in CA. Rode Web with ILL, also purchased RSR ILL for noonish. Rode with LL: TSM and Incredicoaster, got Shawarma for lunch, saw the avengers show, watched Spidey fly twice. Rode Monsters with LL. Went to RSR, ride went down hard when we were two people away from getting on, was going to be 1-2 hours until back up. Got MEP for later, took break at hotel. Between 12-4, i was able to stack up Space Mt, Matterhorn and Buzz LL for the evening.

Came back around 4:30, went to RSR, was able to ride with MEP. Hopped to DL, rode Space, had dinner, rode Buzz then Matterhorn then Small World with LL. Walked around GE a little and then left around 7:30.

So total of 9 rides (7 LL and 2 ILL) in about 7 hours of park time. I would say that was a good day and totally worth it. Today we took it a little easier since we went hard yesterday and stayed later for world of color. Day 3 Wednesday we will start in DL and probably not hop. Hope to catch Fantasmic and maybe electric parade if we can swing both. Tomorrow is much needed day off from 20,000 steps in the parks. Storytellers brunch at 11 and Dodgers game in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter