Disney cruising Down Under?

I can’t wait to see the actual ports and if we will get merrytime cruises.
Looking at the dates I may have to fly to Brisbane or Melbourne if they have merrytime cruises unless they started them on the first of November. That’s not a major issue it’s heaps cheaper than flying to Florida.

Wow. Those prices are something else, especially if you need to add on $50 per person, per day in “optional” tips and flights back to your home city.

On sale on my birthday too! :cheer2: I was actually planning to go to the UK and Disneyland Paris next year for a milestone birthday, so I'm hoping/praying I can convince DH to do a Disney trip & cruise within a month of each other, suffice to say it's going to be a challenge especially based on the sample prices :rotfl:

Wow. Those prices are something else, especially if you need to add on $50 per person, per day in “optional” tips and flights back to your home city.
I don't remember where I read this, but I feel like if the cruise leaves from Australia then you don't need to tip. I'm just trying to remember where I read that so I can clarify it.

On sale on my birthday too! :cheer2: I was actually planning to go to the UK and Disneyland Paris next year for a milestone birthday, so I'm hoping/praying I can convince DH to do a Disney trip & cruise within a month of each other, suffice to say it's going to be a challenge especially based on the sample prices :rotfl:
I know! The relocation cruise from Hawaii to Sydney departs literally on my birthday, which just tells me that I'm supposed to be on it.

I can’t wait to see the actual ports and if we will get merrytime cruises.
There won't be ports. These are cruises to nowhere like they did in the UK.
I don't remember where I read this, but I feel like if the cruise leaves from Australia then you don't need to tip. I'm just trying to remember where I read that so I can clarify it.
You absolutely have to tip. Same international crew. Gratuities are industry wide whether you're sailing UK, Europe or Australia on any line.

I was wondering about the tipping also. Surely when they publish fares, they will have them in AUD$ and not US$

I am confused about when they are on sale. Flight Centre says Sep 29, but Dreams Unlimited are saying Oct 5 (based on my Castaway Club status)

What if the first sailing was also a Halloween Cruise??

I know! The relocation cruise from Hawaii to Sydney departs literally on my birthday, which just tells me that I'm supposed to be on it.
Hahah yep that's definitely a sign! pixiedust:

And as much as we don't enjoy tipping in the US, the service we've received at Disney has almost always been deserving of it. Though hopefully they make clear notes about tipping/gratuities on booking pages as most Australians unfamiliar with this will surely be taken aback by it!

I understand that it’s listed as “optional” gratuities. But … I don’t know how that’s going to go. Tipping is such a foreign concept to Aussies and asking a family of four to “tip” an extra $200+ a day, given how expensive the cruises are in comparison to other lines and the lack of exciting destinations / locations, seems like it will be difficult.

If the staff don’t get paid (via tips), then they’ll be unhappy and service could decline. I can also see many complaints from guests if they get a “hard sell” from the staff.

I think it’s a tough local market to be entering with these types of cruises. Especially with a ship like the Wonder which, although lovely, is smaller and doesn’t have a huge amount of onboard activities like multiple thrill slides, rock climbing, go kart racing, etc.

I understand that it’s listed as “optional” gratuities. But … I don’t know how that’s going to go. Tipping is such a foreign concept to Aussies and asking a family of four to “tip” an extra $200+ a day, given how expensive the cruises are in comparison to other lines and the lack of exciting destinations / locations, seems like it will be difficult.
Autogratuities will be added just like many other foreign flagged cruise ships in Australia.

We are spending 1800aud to do 5 days on the Wonder next month. Sailing her out of San Diego is cheaper 😜
I know right? If Disney fans like us who are on this board are in doubt, I'm sceptical that the average Aussie would spend that kind of money for such an offering....just why?

Autogratuities will be added just like many other foreign flagged cruise ships in Australia.
But you can just adjust the amount to $0 can’t you?
I know right? If Disney fans like us who are on this board are in doubt, I'm sceptical that the average Aussie would spend that kind of money for such an offering....just why?
I’m having trouble understanding what Disney’s sale pitch will be - especially with COVID. If they “sell” it based on magical experiences at sea (ie. in close confines with your fellow passengers) … they may have difficulty.

I certainly want Disney to succeed so they offer a broader range of cruises for Aussies with actual destinations, but at the moment only the Hawaii repositioning cruise looks attractive and I generally understand that they usually sell out to Platinum and above members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter