Disney Cruise with DVC points???

I say if you are uncomfortable going through the rent/trade process or can not get a minimum of $10 per point, then use your points for the cruise and don't look back!:thumbsup2
I won't do rent/trade. Only transfers to fellow members.

I'll use my own recent experience to illustrate the cruise disparity.

We booked a 3-night cruise for February 26, 2009. It was booked under a "kids sail free" promotion. The four of us--two adults, two kids--booked at CAT 11 inside stateroom (got a free upgrade to CAT 10) for $833.

According to the DVC point chart, that same cruise would have cost us 79 points per adult 49 points for one child and 47 for the second. That's 79+79+49+47 = 254 total points.

The dues alone on my points are $4.34 each this year. That means I am actually paying $4.34 x 254 = $1102.36 CASH...out of my own pocket...for the points required to book this cruise on points. Plus you have to add the $95 DVC booking fee for a total of $1197.36. That is all 2009 dollars and I'm not making any accommodation for the $20,000 paid up-front to acquire the DVC points.

That's $364.36 MORE than the cash price for the cruise!!!!!! I would have paid nearly four hundred dollars MORE to use points for the cruise instead of paying cash.

Again to recap---Cash price = $833; DVC Price of dues and fees alone = $1197.36. Same cruise. Same party. Same cabin.

Now granted that was under a special promotion (not always available) and it's only one set of dates, one cabin class and one traveling party. But I hope this illustrates how folks should really spend a few minutes to run the numbers before booking a cruise on points.

Booking a Disney cruise on points is no more convenient than paying cash. Don't want to rent your points? So be it. Bank them or find another way to spend them. And PLEASE do not buy extra points with the intention of using them to cruise regularly.
And if you consider the opportunity cost of those points, I use $10 each as that's what I'd get in a transfer to a fellow member. Your cruise on points would have been $2,540 compared to $833 for cash. No way, Jose.

I actually became a DVC member on my first Disney Cruise, expecting to use the points to book a great cruise vacation every couple of years. From my perspective, I could be spending the money to cruise every year, or spending the money on DVC to cruise for 50 years. It was no contest!

My question is, if you book a cruise through DVC, do you still get the perks of being a Castaway Club member? How about the shipboard credits? I know you can book through DCL and get their shipboard credits, then transfer your ressie to dreamsunlimited and get *their* shipboard credits. Can you pull of a stunt like that if you book through DVC too? Do you get to make your Palo and spa reservations early as a DVC member, or are there any other perks I don't know about? I'm going to be booking a cruise on the Wonder for next summer over the 4th of July week, and I want to make sure I have a row of ducks!

Pixie:goodvibes

I actually became a DVC member on my first Disney Cruise, expecting to use the points to book a great cruise vacation every couple of years. From my perspective, I could be spending the money to cruise every year, or spending the money on DVC to cruise for 50 years. It was no contest!

Until 2 or 3 years down the road when they've raised the required points so much you need to do an add-on in order to "afford" to cruise on points! We cruised on points in 2008...between what they raised them for 2009 and then for 2010 the same 4 night cruise (length / cabin category / dates) went up by like 85 or 87 points just in 2 years time!:scared: When you have to buy an additional 85 points every 2 years to keep up the pace you may rethink this plan. Or not. :confused3 But I would...

My question is, if you book a cruise through DVC, do you still get the perks of being a Castaway Club member? How about the shipboard credits? I know you can book through DCL and get their shipboard credits, then transfer your ressie to dreamsunlimited and get *their* shipboard credits. Can you pull of a stunt like that if you book through DVC too? Do you get to make your Palo and spa reservations early as a DVC member, or are there any other perks I don't know about? I'm going to be booking a cruise on the Wonder for next summer over the 4th of July week, and I want to make sure I have a row of ducks!

Yes, if you book on points thru DVC they will know you are both a DVC member AND a CC member. You will receive stateroom gifts for both. You will NOT be eligible for onboard credits like you would be if you booked on cash thru DU. There really aren't any other "perks" to booking as a DVC member. Booking Palo as a CC member allows you to book earlier than first time cruisers...but nothing for DVC. Well, there's a reception thingy where you can go & try to win a doorprize & get a free ballcap...but that's about it.

I just booked a 4-night cruise in February 2010 with DVC points.:banana: I live just 20 minutes away from Disney and this makes it worthwhile for me being that I, somehow, just can't finance the cruise.:sad2: I can visit WDW anytime I want and using the points for a cruise makes it worth it. Incidentally, I did book the THV for a week stay in July 2009 using DVC points also. It did not take away many points for the cruise as indicated.:teacher: I think I only used 232 points for 2 adults to stay in a Cat.6 for 4-nights. This will be my first Disney cruise and I am so looking forward to it.:cool1: I have been on the DCL forums and you just can't imagine what there is to do. :beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter