Disney Cruise newbie

Daniela Rose

Best. Day. Ever.
Hi!

so I can plan WDW with my eyes closed, but we’ve yet to pull the cruise trigger. Our 10 year anniv is in 2021 and thinking that’s the time. It will be me, Dh and our two girls...almost 8 and almost 6 at that time. March 2021. I’m literally clueless with the diff of the ships, staterooms, etc. What would need to be booked in advance? Im so used to adrs at 180 days and fp at 60 days lol.

please help lol

Deposit money. Names as will be shown on drivers license or passport.

A budget. That will help you decide on room and itinerary.

I think the majority would recommend something longer than 3 nights. They feel like get on, turn around and you are departing.

Def was thinking longer than 3 nights. Prob 5-7. We’ve been on a cruise before, before kids....eek, just never disney.

thought disney would be the best for everyone

There is much less that needs to be booked ahead of time with a cruise. Being a first time cruiser, you won't be able to book anything, other than the cruise itself, until 75 days before your cruise. So just don't worry about that right now.

First thing to decide is how long of a cruise, where you want to go, and what port you want to leave from. Those things will determine which ships you will have to consider. Early 2021 cruises have been released. With DCL, prices are usually lowest on opening day and increase after. So the earlier you book, the better the cost will be. The Magic and the Wonder are the two older ships, often referred to here as the "classic" ships. The Dream and Fantasy are newer and larger. They have a few more bells and whistles, but lots of people prefer the smaller, more intimate feel of the classic ships. There's no one right answer. It all depends on what you are looking for.

There is much less that needs to be booked ahead of time with a cruise. Being a first time cruiser, you won't be able to book anything, other than the cruise itself, until 75 days before your cruise. So just don't worry about that right now.

First thing to decide is how long of a cruise, where you want to go, and what port you want to leave from. Those things will determine which ships you will have to consider. Early 2021 cruises have been released. With DCL, prices are usually lowest on opening day and increase after. So the earlier you book, the better the cost will be. The Magic and the Wonder are the two older ships, often referred to here as the "classic" ships. The Dream and Fantasy are newer and larger. They have a few more bells and whistles, but lots of people prefer the smaller, more intimate feel of the classic ships. There's no one right answer. It all depends on what you are looking for.

thank you so much. I already looked up options. It would be either port Canaveral or Miami. Either Bahamas or Caribbean. Very good to know about magic bc that was one of the ships. The ships were either magic, dream or fantasy. I like a newer feel but I guess magic could have had a refurb too.

so I guess the more you cruise the more perks you get and can book things earlier?

Ok looking at the fantasy, which deck and where on the boat would I want my stateroom? Looking at a family verandah

Ok looking at the fantasy, which deck and where on the boat would I want my stateroom? Looking at a family verandah
GENERALLY, mid-ship rooms are thought to be "best", but, IMO, any room onboard a ship is good.

We prefer the deck 2 oceanview rooms on the Magic class ships. On the Dream class we've been mostly in verandah rooms (decks 9 & 10), and one inside room (deck 8).

We like to get a mid-ship room and like to make sure it isn't under any public spaces. There's deck plans on the website to see where things are located on each ship. Keep in mind that most schools have Spring break in March, so the prices will be more than in Jan and Feb. Although the Magic and Wonder are older ships, they have both been updated many times. Decks 7, 8, and 9 are good on the Fantasy because you won't be under any public spaces. Deck 6 is above the Oceaneer's club, haven't stayed on that deck so don't know if it's noisy or not.

GENERALLY, mid-ship rooms are thought to be "best", but, IMO, any room onboard a ship is good.

We prefer the deck 2 oceanview rooms on the Magic class ships. On the Dream class we've been mostly in verandah rooms (decks 9 & 10), and one inside room (deck 8).

looking at the bed situation, do any of the family rooms have two twin beds and not the bunk beds? I thought I saw pics of that. I don’t think my scaredy-cat kid would climb up

looking at the bed situation, do any of the family rooms have two twin beds and not the bunk beds? I thought I saw pics of that. I don’t think my scaredy-cat kid would climb up
The family verandah rooms that sleep 5 have the sofa bed, bunk bed, and a murphy bed.

Any room that only sleeps 4 will typically only have the sofa & bunk beds. Besides the queen bed.

There isn’t a “bad” ship. So decide where you want to go and how many nights you want to do and that will select the ship for you. Then join the cruise meet group to help plan. Joining in on Fish Extender groups or ornament trades or Pixie Dust groups can really help keep the excitement going as you plan. These gift giving (and receiving) opportunities are fun and you can get some great mementos from your trip that way.

There isn’t a “bad” ship. So decide where you want to go and how many nights you want to do and that will select the ship for you. Then join the cruise meet group to help plan. Joining in on Fish Extender groups or ornament trades or Pixie Dust groups can really help keep the excitement going as you plan. These gift giving (and receiving) opportunities are fun and you can get some great mementos from your trip that way.

thanks! What are those groups? I’m not on Facebook. DIS is the only thing I do.

thanks! What are those groups? I’m not on Facebook. DIS is the only thing I do.
At the top of the main page, is a link to the "Disney Cruise Meets" board

https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-cruise-meets.85/
If you go there you'll see several threads titled "Find your 202x (Magic, Wonder, Fantasy, Dream) Cruise Meet LINK here". Click on the one for whichever ship you wind up on, and scroll through the first post there to see if there's a Cruise Meet thread running for your cruise.

That's where you can chat up others on your cruise, discuss plans, and whatever else is of interest to you regarding that specific cruise.

We used to prefer mid-ship but now prefer aft mostly because we tend to do things on various decks that are more aft. We don't feel any difference in movement between the two locations. Also the aft (or forward) elevators tend to be less busy than mid-ship. Aft and forward cabins will tend to be less expensive than a mid-ship room on the same floor, though probably similar cost to mid-ship one floor down (the higher the floor, the higher the cost). It's hard to say which location is best for a first-timer. If you've cruised before, you'll probably know better whether you prefer forward, aft or mid-ship.

Which ship is better? Depends on which day you ask me. In general, we prefer the smaller ships - Magic is probably our favourite - but there are some things we like better on the larger ships. So there's no clear standout IMO. I think it will depend on cost, itinerary and your schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!