Disney confirms purchase of Global Dream cruise ship

I've not seen this many experts on the Asian Market since Shanghai Disneyland was announced!! šŸ˜†

As for the comments about beds being smaller for Asian guests..... I'm 6"3' and travel to China and Hong Kong regularly (in normal times at least) and my teet have never hung out of the end of the bed.

The only problem I see Disney encountering is the fact that Asia hotels provide way more amenities - slippers, robes (although DCL have addressed this with the Wish), toothbrushes and razors etc.
The best Disney amenities Iā€™ve ever received were in the Miracosta at Tokyo Disneysea, they are so adorable and smell so nice I still have some in my bathroom Iā€™ll never use, just look at when I get stuff from that cupboard. šŸ˜‚ I still have the cardboard slippers too they come in a little bag and have Mickey fabric.

Doing some simple math to see how the ships may compare at max capacity. Not a perfect comparison for predicting how busy a ship feels due to different use of space. But it's interesting to me, anyway.

Guests per 1000 gross tonnage:
Disney Wish = 27.8
Disney "Global" = 28.8 (would have been 43.2 at 9000 capacity)
Oasis of the Seas = 29.9
Disney Dream/Fantasy = 30.8
Disney Magic/Wonder = 32.1

I'm not surprised by this at all. There is so much space on the Oasis that the only time it feels a little crowded is at the buffet and really, that's just about on EVERY ship out there! The Magic on the other hand feels SO crowded. The activities in the atrium and lounges are always wall-to-wall people.

It's funny how people have this perception...I have been on the Dream with 3,500+ people and on Oasis ships with close to 6,000 and have felt that the Oasis ships feel WAY less crowded than a full Disney ship. The ships size and design lend a lot to that. Yes there are more people, but the ship is MUCH bigger, and (at least on the Royal Ships) they do a great job with their neighborhood design to make sure people are spread around the ship. Any time you get everyone on the ship in one place at the same time, any cruise ship will feel crowded.

Just because this ship is big and has 6000 people doesn't automatically mean it will be more crowded. I personally would love to sail on an Oasis-sized DCL ship. They have so much more room to work with. A common complaint of the Wish is venues are so small, people can't get into Palo, the trivia venues get overflowed, hallways are too narrow.

If anyone has been in Mickey's Mainsail on the Wish, you know what I am taking about. Making the ship wider can fix a lot of issues with space in common areas.

It's not so much about the experience on the ship, because I agree with you there, it's about the affect on ports. The bigger the ship, the worse the port experience tends to be. This can be affected by other ships being in port, but Disney tries to book ports at good times for customers to minimize that to the extent possible. That unavoidable, but purposely sailing with a huge crowd isn't. It's not just the crowds once off the ship at the port either, it can really make a difference in how easy it is to get on and off the ship at the port.

It's not so much about the experience on the ship, because I agree with you there, it's about the affect on ports. The bigger the ship, the worse the port experience tends to be. This can be affected by other ships being in port, but Disney tries to book ports at good times for customers to minimize that to the extent possible. That unavoidable, but purposely sailing with a huge crowd isn't. It's not just the crowds once off the ship at the port either, it can really make a difference in how easy it is to get on and off the ship at the port.
I see your point, but I have also been on the Dream when there's only 1 gangway open and 4,000 people trying to get off the ship at a port. At least on the Oasis class ships they usually have 2 and sometimes 3 gangways open at once, so that helps traffic flow a lot.

It would be awesome if Disney stepped it up and their ships had more/bigger pools and more active activities for kids/teens - not just the clubs. And hopefully, NEW shows!

Iā€™m all for space , but stilll love the intimacy of the smaller ships. If they can find a way to spread things out like the oasis , but ditching the tacky Las Vegas shopping mall vibe of Royal Caribbean it could be interesting

There is an apparent concept drawing out and it will look different than the rest of the fleet, the stacks will both be on the aft section.concept.jpeg

Some new revelations in this came out today...seems DCL bought the ship for a mere $41 million!!! and plans to sink another $1B into the ship.

The fact that Disney reportedly spent 40 Million Euro on the 75% completed hull and expects to put another 1 Billion Euro into the ship speaks to the amount of finish work and alterations they plan on making (of course the numbers are all speculation at this point but I suspect orders of magnitude are close). Will be interesting to watch as Disney provides more details on how they outfit this size ship....popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel youā€™ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter