Disney confirms purchase of Global Dream cruise ship

DCL news press release site. Will be based outside the US and claims to visit "new markets". Most likely based in Asia.

And hold 6000 guests. Pass on that ship for us. Way too many people aboard.
Wonder what design changes they are making since the ship was designed to carry 9,000 guests. They have reduced capacity by one third. More public spaces?

Toward the end of this video there is some concept art of what the Global Dream was going to look like.

New itineraries is music to our ears. Circumnavigate Japan. Tokyo to HK through Shanghai. Spend the winter based out of Singapore - or even Sydney.

And an awesome deal for the fellow Disney shareholders. A brand new mega ship for cents on a dollar!

As a shareholder, I have to agree it's a great idea. As a cruiser, I am not sure I will be hopping on this ship. It's bigger than we usually like, and I wonder how much can be done to salvage the interior. That being said, I do love the idea of some new itineraries. We have some cruise deposits that we had to move around a couple of times over the last couple of years and are having a tough time deciding which itinerary to do for the umpteenth time.

Wonder what design changes they are making since the ship was designed to carry 9,000 guests. They have reduced capacity by one third. More public spaces?
Toward the end of this video there is some concept art of what the Global Dream was going to look like.

Interesting that we've seen information indicating that it was originally designed for 9000 guests. But in the video posted above, it says "Accommodating over 5000 passengers."

New itineraries is music to our ears. Circumnavigate Japan. Tokyo to HK through Shanghai. Spend the winter based out of Singapore - or even Sydney.

And an awesome deal for the fellow Disney shareholders. A brand new mega ship for cents on a dollar!
Those destinations sound wonderful! Been waiting a long time for that to happen.

This is amazing news! Shame it wasn’t done before D23 because DCL would’ve had an even bigger home run!

Also this thing is going to be MASSIVE holy smokes Batman

The physical size of this ship (208k gross tonnage, 324 m length) isn't quite as big as any of the RCL Oasis class ships (225k+, 360+). So trying to imagine how it was designed for 9000 passengers when the largest Wonder of the Seas maxes out under 7000. Glad to see Disney only planning 6000 or so (still bigger than I want to experience). Perhaps turning standard rooms into suites, and maybe even turning a good portion of a deck into kids clubs.

This was on the local news here in ORL.
Ship was for Asians guest who are smaller in height and size.
Bedding is tiny.
Also that culture is used to BIG crowds and crowding .
That is why ship was built for HUGE amount of sailers.

This was on the local news here in ORL.
Ship was for Asians guest who are smaller in height and size.
Bedding is tiny.
Also that culture is used to BIG crowds and crowding .
That is why ship was built for HUGE amount of sailers.
This is not accurate reporting. The rooms are actually larger than those on the Magic/Wonder, and the ship has LESS rooms than the Oasis of the seas. Beds are all standard size. This kind if reporting makes racial assumptions that have not been shows to be accurate in the specs of the ship.

They originally said it would hold 9000 people with 4-5 people in every stateroom. Capacity is set from lifeboat capacity more than stateroom size.

My guess here is Disney doesn't have to remove ANY staterooms to determine this should only have a "capacity" of 6,000. The existing Disney ships don't assume 4 people in a room for MAX capacity, no reason to think this one would.

The Wish has 1254 staterooms. If every room was fully filled the ship would have a capacity of 5,500+...but its max capacity is listed as 4,000 people.

And hold 6000 guests. Pass on that ship for us. Way too many people aboard.
It's funny how people have this perception...I have been on the Dream with 3,500+ people and on Oasis ships with close to 6,000 and have felt that the Oasis ships feel WAY less crowded than a full Disney ship. The ships size and design lend a lot to that. Yes there are more people, but the ship is MUCH bigger, and (at least on the Royal Ships) they do a great job with their neighborhood design to make sure people are spread around the ship. Any time you get everyone on the ship in one place at the same time, any cruise ship will feel crowded.

Just because this ship is big and has 6000 people doesn't automatically mean it will be more crowded. I personally would love to sail on an Oasis-sized DCL ship. They have so much more room to work with. A common complaint of the Wish is venues are so small, people can't get into Palo, the trivia venues get overflowed, hallways are too narrow.

If anyone has been in Mickey's Mainsail on the Wish, you know what I am taking about. Making the ship wider can fix a lot of issues with space in common areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter